Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I can agree with that. TFL spoilers She gets reincarnated by making a deal with blah blah on the other side just so she can get revenge. Yet she has several opportunities to gently caress him over and she just lets him live for no apparent reason. Her character motivation is supposedly revenge but she doesn't bother despite it being simple for her to renege on her end of the deal.

She wanted the Seed too, remember...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

That whole subplot did seem really weak. I barely remember any of it besides the cool fight at the end.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

That whole subplot did seem really weak. I barely remember any of it besides the cool fight at the end.

To be fair, it was a pretty cool fight.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Joe posted a brief preview of the next book on his blog:

quote:

“Shy South comes home to her farm to find a blackened shell, her brother and sister stolen, and knows she’ll have to go back to bad old ways if she’s ever to see them again. She sets off in pursuit with only her cowardly old step-father Lamb for company. But it turns out he’s hiding a bloody past of his own. None bloodier. Their journey will take them across the lawless plains, to a frontier town gripped by gold fever, through feuds, duels, and massacres, high into unmapped mountains to a reckoning with ancient enemies, and force them into alliance with Nicomo Cosca, infamous soldier of fortune, a man no one should ever have to trust…”

Cosca is back! And who could have had a bloodier past than Logen? CANNOT loving WAIT!

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's not Logen.

We will know this as soon as they DON'T mention his lack of fingers.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mr.48 posted:

Joe posted a brief preview of the next book on his blog:

Cosca is back! And who could have had a bloodier past than Logen? CANNOT loving WAIT!

No way he brings Logan back. You have to be realistic about these things.... Right? :smith:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Lamb is Shenk, maybe?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

No way he brings Logan back. You have to be realistic about these things.... Right? :smith:

It better not be Logen. Face it, the guy survived that fall and is having all kinds of horrible adventures, and Abercrombie will never tell us about them, the horrible bastard!

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Welcome back Cosca and your absurdly impenetrable plot armor!

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Yeah Shenkt could make sense.

That said if there's any mention of the bloody nine in the book then he needs to make an appearance, if only because it's seriously not cool to keep dangling the possible return like this.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Evfedu posted:

Shenkt

This is the problem with listening to these books on audible, I never have any loving clue how poo poo is spelled. :downs:

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hahah! Sorry man that seemed really snarky. I didn't even notice your typo, honest :shobon:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Ah no I didn't take it that way.. It's just something I've noticed with fantasy names (or real ones...I'm listening to Peter the great now and have NFC how to spell some of these russian places) :downs:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
It cant be Shenkt, it says he has a bloody past, and Shenkt cant exactly put his bloody days behind him, being addicted to eating people and loving with Bayaz and Khalul and all.

Also: Lamb, None-Bloodier......Logen, Bloody-Nine. Come on!

Its Logen, I want to believe!

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 5, 2012

flamingmuse
Aug 31, 2001

Woof!
Way, way late to the party here, and I doubt the target audience I'm aiming at will ever see this but here we go. I've been looking for a good fantasy series for ages, something with the tropes without being mired in them and this is loving amazing so far. I'm nearly done with the first book and I'm already trying not to peak ahead to the second. If you've ever looked for an introduction to the genre and aren't sure where to start: get on it.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Erm...... you might want to stay away from this thread until you're done, its gotten a bit spoileriffic around here. (I'm probably one of the worst offenders)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

flamingmuse posted:

Way, way late to the party here, and I doubt the target audience I'm aiming at will ever see this but here we go. I've been looking for a good fantasy series for ages, something with the tropes without being mired in them and this is loving amazing so far. I'm nearly done with the first book and I'm already trying not to peak ahead to the second. If you've ever looked for an introduction to the genre and aren't sure where to start: get on it.

Yeah, steer clear of the thread for the most part until you've at least read the trilogy - we've generally been pretty good at keeping to spoiler-tagged discussion but things have lapsed recently!

The general sci-fi/fantasy thread may be a better place to make your recommendation to others.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

The general sci-fi/fantasy thread may be a better place to make your recommendation to others.
Can you post that link please? (phone posting or I'd find it myself)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3345499

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Has there been any indication that this new book might introduce rudimentary guns or will the dueling be of the sword variety? A book by Abercrombie finishing with a Mexican stand off would rule (prediction: everyone would probably find a way to get killed).

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Kekekela posted:

Lamb is Shenk, maybe?

Wouldn't really make sense, since he basically took his place as the adviser to Monza at the end of BSC and is thus involved in ruling Styria. I doubt he'd go from there to being some 'mysterious step-father with bloody past.' Oh, and he already has a wife and kids.

Logen seems possible, but I doubt he'll be brought back. Glad Cosca's back though.

HeroOfTheRevolution fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 12, 2012

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It could be one of the Magi, maybe? No bloodier past then the stuff with Glustrod and Kanedias.

I don't know, I just hope we see more of the Magi because I think they are by far the most interesting stuff in this book. Maybe after the North.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Has there been any indication that this new book might introduce rudimentary guns or will the dueling be of the sword variety? A book by Abercrombie finishing with a Mexican stand off would rule (prediction: everyone would probably find a way to get killed).

Well The Heroes did have Bayaz's minions testing a rudimentary canon so I guess it would depend how late the new book is taking place in the timeline of the other books.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

It's the bloody nine I tell you, there's none bloodier.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Mr Crustacean posted:

It's the bloody nine I tell you, there's none bloodier.

It's got to be the least subtle hint ever. Whether it's Logen or not, Abercrombie IS implying that it's Logen and he wants us to believe this. I want to believe this...

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I really hope it's not Logen and I can't see any possible reason for it to be Logen. Abercrombie has more sense than that.

1. Logen is a complete irrelevance outside of the North.
2. The whole point of Logen's character development is that he tries to escape his past by leaving the North, but eventually he has to return and he hasn't managed to escape his past at all. He comes to terms with what a terrible poo poo of a man he is and is quite prepared to make the rest of his life as that terrible poo poo of a man in the North, until Black Dow forces him to jump into a river again.
3. There is no reason for Logen to try to be a better man again by leaving the North (and certainly not becoming someone's stepfather). He tried that and it didn't work out for him at all. That attempt is over.
4. The whole 'man with a bloody past' thing is a well-used Western archetype, and while it's also well-trodden ground in Abercrombie's books so far and there's potential for him to tire it out completely with this, I really don't think Logen has anything to do with it.

I had some other reasons for why it really isn't him but gently caress. It's not Logen. I'll be hugely disappointed if it is.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

John Charity Spring posted:

I had some other reasons for why it really isn't him but gently caress. It's not Logen. I'll be hugely disappointed if it is.

There's also the larger arc to consider, though. Everything Abercrombie has put out so far is a piece of the larger story about the dueling magi. Logen has been played up too much in that story arc to not be relevant to its resolution, which means that Abercrombie has to bring him back at some point. I could see a stand-alone book that serves to put him in position to do whatever his role is in the final trilogy. I don't know if he'll do that or not, but it would make narrative sense to me if the next book had a focus on Logen.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about Shivers? Does he have any reason not to go globetrotting after The Heroes? I'm not saying it's likely after his Styrian adventure, but it may be a possibility.

Fakedit: What if it's Sergeant Pike from Before they are Hanged/Last Argument of Kings?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Fakedit: What if it's Sergeant Pike from Before they are Hanged/Last Argument of Kings?

Settling down after a long career as one of Glokta's torturers? :haw:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It would almost make sense. Dude's tough as old leather nails but not disabled. Also, doesn't he have some kind of ridiculous scarring?

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

What about Shivers? Does he have any reason not to go globetrotting after The Heroes? I'm not saying it's likely after his Styrian adventure, but it may be a possibility.

Nah, Shivers is pretty firmly entrenched in being an uncaring murder machine. Pike is a possibility, but the whole Bloody-Nine/None-Bloodier thing seems like way too blatant of a hint. Unless Joe is deliberately trolling us, which I wouldnt put past him I guess...

Edit: Maybe its Bremer dan Gorst after retirement?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 14, 2012

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

That's a good idea, but he just got a POV role in The Heroes.

Edit: waitaminute, "cowardly step-father"? That leaves Pike out. And Gorst, too. poo poo. A hardass playing a coward would almost be clichéd, so I've got my bets on an actual coward. My money's on a minor character someone from the other books let live. Or maybe Red Beck from The Heroes?

e2: But wait, he retired to the farm in the end, didn't he?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 14, 2012

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Logen could be cowardly because he'd want to avoid fighting so the Bloody-Nine doesn't come out.

Really it could be a completely new character. The Logen stuff is probably a fake-out.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It could be a new character, but Abercrombie has a definite habit of making minor characters from previous books into main characters for new ones. Wouldn't mind if he broke that habit, though.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
From the publisher's blurb on the Amazon page for the new book:

"The First Law trilogy was Joe's take on the great epic fantasy tales. Then, in Best Served Cold, he took on a fantasy version of a classic revenge story, and we have a superb tale of war waged in the frozen north still to come. With this, his next novel, Joe Abercrombie is once again venturing in a new direction, and on a new adventure, with one of the most enduring, powerful and popular characters of the First Law trilogy. It's going to be their biggest challenge yet."

If its not Logen I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

Zqxm
Mar 16, 2005

Mr.48 posted:

From the publisher's blurb on the Amazon page for the new book:

"The First Law trilogy was Joe's take on the great epic fantasy tales. Then, in Best Served Cold, he took on a fantasy version of a classic revenge story, and we have a superb tale of war waged in the frozen north still to come. With this, his next novel, Joe Abercrombie is once again venturing in a new direction, and on a new adventure, with one of the most enduring, powerful and popular characters of the First Law trilogy. It's going to be their biggest challenge yet."

If its not Logen I'm going to be seriously pissed off.

This directly implies that it is Logen, does it not? I do not think any of the other characters fit that description.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Oh God don't gently caress this up Joe.

That description could easily be Ferro, but we're approaching critical mass with the Bloody Nine trolling at this point.

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 14, 2012

TrickyTrev
Feb 8, 2005
ZOMG I HAVE ROCKET
You have to be realistic about these things....

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Zqxm posted:

This directly implies that it is Logen, does it not? I do not think any of the other characters fit that description.

Cosca. Who is already confirmed as being in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It could be both...