Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Zubumafoo posted:

I don't think it necessarily has to be embellished or biographical. Hell, I didn't know Ip Man was a real person until the end of the movie.

You might like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Hero and Iron Monkey. The first two are in the somewhat higher end kick flick category (relative to the ones I used to watch in the 80s anyway); the last as well, but it is more farcical and comedic. They's all available on Netflix, but only Iron Monkey by streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

foodfight posted:

Both Triangle and Timecrimes are on instant now. They make a really decent time travel slasher double-feature.

Which Triangle? There are 4 or 5 on Netflix. I watched Timecrimes last weekend and I really liked it.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

mds2 posted:

Which Triangle? There are 4 or 5 on Netflix. I watched Timecrimes last weekend and I really liked it.

This one. If you liked Timecrimes, I think it's safe to say you will also like Triangle.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This one. If you liked Timecrimes, I think it's safe to say you will also like Triangle.

Thanks!

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Globo-Corp posted:

I will recommend The Baby's Room as a pretty decent Spanish horror flick. It uses the "the house is cursed" formula that has been done a thousand times, but pulls it off pretty well with some clever ideas. It is really short at 74 minutes, I think, but I found the pacing to be so well done that I didn't even notice. I got pretty involved in the story and it seemed much more fleshed-out and meaty than a film that short often ends up.

Seconding this, it's a bit more interesting than just "ooh, ghosties!".

I then watched Dreams in the Witch House. I liked Re-Animator, but seems dumb passing off more blood-and-tits films as H.P. Lovecraft.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I strongly recommend not looking up anything about Triangle (imdb, trailer, wikipedia) before watching it. Just go and enjoy...

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Came here to recommend Chosin a documentary about about the battle of the Chosin Reservoir in the Korean War, one of the most brutal and horrific battles in American history. The documentary is extremely well done and absolutely heart-breaking.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone looking for some very strange '70s Exploitation fun, check out The Baby, one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Cliffhanger and Tango & Cash make a nice action double-feature if you don't feel like leaving the house today.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shaolin Soccer is up, an earlier effort from Stephen Chow of "Kung Fu Hustle" fame. Whimsical martial arts comedy, not quite as polished as "Hustle" but very entertaining.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

I haven't seen either. Is there one I should watch first?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Mustached5thGrader posted:

I haven't seen either. Is there one I should watch first?
Timecrimes

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

fenix down posted:

Timecrimes

Correct. Triangle is the superior film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I need to finish it but I think im about 3/4 through Enemy Mine... holy gently caress, I can't believe this is real.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Vintersorg posted:

I need to finish it but I think im about 3/4 through Enemy Mine... holy gently caress, I can't believe this is real.

I've seen Enemy Mine like 9 times with my dad. Its just always on a random Starz channel.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's kinda funny... when you load up the movie it has a Starz bumper. :lol:

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

foodfight posted:

Correct. Triangle is the superior film.
Watched Triangle last night. Timecrimes is way better.
Both are good though.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Zwabu posted:

Shaolin Soccer is up, an earlier effort from Stephen Chow of "Kung Fu Hustle" fame. Whimsical martial arts comedy, not quite as polished as "Hustle" but very entertaining.

you have to be a little more open minded than the average movie goer, or a little drunker, but this movie is truly hilarious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't seen Triangle yet, but I like that Timecrimes moves pretty quickly away from the "horror" label put on it by Netflix and becomes more of a thriller/drama that just happens to be about time travel. The gimmick is believable enough, and it manages to pull off a few surprises even if you can sort of figure out a few of the "twists" ahead of time.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Wait. So "IP Man" isn't a movie about a guy that solves internet problems with kung-fu?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

the_Vandal posted:

Wait. So "IP Man" isn't a movie about a guy that solves internet problems with kung-fu?
Ugh everyone always mixes up IP man with IT man.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Does the IP stand for something, or is ip a word? I'm never sure whether to call it "eye pee" Man or not.

Edit: vvv Gotcha.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 5, 2012

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Does the IP stand for something, or is ip a word? I'm never sure whether to call it "eye pee" Man or not.

I do believe it is his name. So it's just "Ip".

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

the_Vandal posted:

Yeah I kind of figured it was about a guy who was good at helping you straighten out networking address conflict issues.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Zwabu posted:

Yeah I kind of figured it was about a guy who was good at helping you straighten out networking address conflict issues.

I feel seriously bad that some people might not have given that movie a chance due to the name.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zwabu posted:

No, that's the sequel, TCP Man.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

I just watched [REC] 1 and 2, I think I may have liked the second one better. Are there any other horror movies like this?

They're making a third one, I am excited!

edit: vvv thanks! Just in the mood for a good horror movie. :)

Deep Thoreau fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 5, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Bash Ironfist posted:

I just watched [REC] 1 and 2, I think I may have liked the second one better. Are there any other horror movies like this?

They're making a third one, I am excited!
Are there any more found footage horror movies? Yea, there's a metric poo poo ton. There were two recently added to Netflix that were pretty good; one is called Grave Encounters and while it starts out fairly normal for a found footage movie there's a twist about half way through the movie that I really enjoyed. The other is Atrocious and it's really slow for most of the movie, but it does pick up at the end. I almost turned it off though cause really nothing happens for a good portion of the movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Triangle is a sort of whodunnit film with some clever plotting, so it's a really bad idea to read absolutely anything about the plot beforehand.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Don't think it's been mentioned,but The Last Emperor is available now, as are a handful of other Criteron titles it seems. It won 9 Oscars, and is probably the only feature film ever to be filmed on location in the actual Forbidden City. According to IMDB, Elizabeth II wasn't allowed to visit the Forbidden City while she was in Beijing, as the Chinese gave precedence to the film.

rawrr fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 5, 2012

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

rawrr posted:

Don't think it's been mentioned,but The Last Emperor is available now, as are a handful of other Criteron titles it seems. It won 9 Oscars, and is probably the only feature film ever to be filmed on location in the actual Forbidden City. According to IMDB, Elizabeth II wasn't allowed to visit the Forbidden City while she was in Beijing, as the Chinese gave precedence to the film.

To be clear, most (all?) of these aren't the actual Criterion releases, they're just films that happen to have a Criterion edition out there. I know that Thin Red Line is the theatrical cut, not the restored version Criterion and Malick put together. Kagemusha uses the Criterion cover for its icon but I don't know if its the same.

BTW, this site here updates for all the Criterion released films that are currently streaming on Netflix (Fear and Loathing is out-of-date fwi):

http://streamingcriterions.com/

I didn't realize Robocop got a Criterion release :psyduck:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I'm in the UK and just got Netflix and UnblockUS, and it's good, but I do have a question. Why do they take stuff off after so long? Why not just keep adding to the collection? Is it a copyright thing?

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I'm in the UK and just got Netflix and UnblockUS, and it's good, but I do have a question. Why do they take stuff off after so long? Why not just keep adding to the collection? Is it a copyright thing?

Because studios license movies to Netflix to use for streaming purposes. Netflix signs contract deals with various studios and when their contract expires, they have to renegotiate to retain the library. For example, better watch Tangled or any other Starz provided content now while you still have a chance because:

Starz posted:

When the agreement expires on February 28, 2012, Starz will cease to distribute its content on the Netflix streaming platform. This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mouser.. posted:

Because studios license movies to Netflix to use for streaming purposes. Netflix signs contract deals with various studios and when their contract expires, they have to renegotiate to retain the library. For example, better watch Tangled or any other Starz provided content now while you still have a chance because:

Ahh right, thanks then. If a TV series was about to be taken down would there be some sort of warning, or would I be halfway through the series and beep boop, no longer there?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jakabite posted:

Ahh right, thanks then. If a TV series was about to be taken down would there be some sort of warning, or would I be halfway through the series and beep boop, no longer there?

No warning. This happened to me watching Dexter, I honestly had no idea it was expiring.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Yeah, Netflix is about to lost a bunch of content, and if their February adds are any indication, they're not adding much to replace it. It's worrying.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mouser.. posted:

For example, better watch Tangled or any other Starz provided content now while you still have a chance because...

Oh no, what'll we do once we can no longer watch Dunston Checks In or... Battlefield Earth. And Bob the Butler. Bob the loving Butler.

Apart from Party Down and a few good Eastern movies like In the Mood For Love, I don't really see what we're losing here. Most of the Starz line-up is poo poo I could rent from the local Mom-and-Pop on VHS for a buck.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tewratomeh posted:

Apart from Party Down and a few good Eastern movies like In the Mood For Love, I don't really see what we're losing here. Most of the Starz line-up is poo poo I could rent from the local Mom-and-Pop on VHS for a buck.

Then you are a lucky man, because I don't think I've seen a mom-and-pop video rental place around where I live for about ten years.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Does anyone have an idea, on average, what percentage of Netflix's content is Starz stuff at any given time these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Does anyone have an idea, on average, what percentage of Netflix's content is Starz stuff at any given time these days?

Not sure the exact amount of titles NetFlix has streaming but only 1,000 are from Starz so I imagine it's not a very big percentage.

• Locked thread