Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

kreayshawns talent posted:

Also lol what is this goony nonsense he follows on twitter? https://twitter.com/Tanukipdx/

Good luck with your food critic gig Chris :tipshat:

It's a food place that doesn't allow kids, which sounds like a good idea to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Did you guys see this subtle jab at Tony Millionaire? https://twitter.com/achewood/status/155077306774331392 Yeah these are two cartoonists who really don't seem like they'd get each other at all. I can't even remember why they started working together.

I really dont think that tweet sounds like animosity, it just sounds like playful ribbing to me.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

platero posted:

It's a food place that doesn't allow kids, which sounds like a good idea to me.

A food place which retweets @AynRandBot, no thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did you guys see this subtle jab at Tony Millionaire? https://twitter.com/achewood/status/155077306774331392 Yeah these are two cartoonists who really don't seem like they'd get each other at all. I can't even remember why they started working together.

This strikes me as a joke as opposed to a jab.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I saw this pic / description and totally Achewooded... :o:

Poor little guy

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

mysterious frankie posted:

Changing the text counts as an update. He's off the hook for the next 20 days.

poo poo, Chris; don't make this joke a reality.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

This strikes me as a joke as opposed to a jab.

Tony Millionaire helped with nib tricks (alt-text) and did a guest-strip. Jesus, people, read a little less into Words on The Internet.

that said, post part three, Chris, goddddddddddddddd. You don't even LIKE sports.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Achewood increasingly becomes a joke whose punchline is the reader's belief that Onstad might actually post a comic if he says he will.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Onstad is Lucy van Pelt. The time he takes between updates is just to figure out how to trick us more elaborately the next time.

I'll just slow down to a stop! I'll give one comic about the comic being gone and disappear! I'll give interviews and then do nothing! I'll put up notices about Achewood restarting! Twice! I'll promise a threefer, put up two, and vanish!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good grief.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

AAAAAUUGH!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Cobweb Heart posted:

I'll promise a threefer, put up two, and vanish!

Makes sense, this feels like the webcomic version of that prank where you release in a college campus three pigs, each numbered 1,2,4.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I would really really like to buy actual books of Achewood if I could.
I am really thinking about getting some really good quality glossy paper, and make my own Achewood "Books" with alt text, for my own personal use.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Ray's never going to get to count to twelve, dude! Onstad took him down with him like an Egyptian emperor!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Johnny Aztec posted:

I would really really like to buy actual books of Achewood if I could.
I am really thinking about getting some really good quality glossy paper, and make my own Achewood "Books" with alt text, for my own personal use.

Well, they're no chronological compendium, but The Great Outdoor Fight, Worst Song, Played On Ugliest Guitar, and A Home For Scared People are all excellent ways to take the edge off of your Achewood thirst. Unfortunately, the straight-forward paper-spine collections, such as this one, don't include the alt text, so DIY is probably your best bet for a satisfying product. Good luck!

e: The saddest thing is Achewood's current state of affairs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Darthemed posted:

Well, they're no chronological compendium, but The Great Outdoor Fight, Worst Song, Played On Ugliest Guitar, and A Home For Scared People are all excellent ways to take the edge off of your Achewood thirst. Unfortunately, the straight-forward paper-spine collections, such as this one, don't include the alt text, so DIY is probably your best bet for a satisfying product. Good luck!

e: The saddest thing is Achewood's current state of affairs.

Oh hey, for some reason I thought none of the books were still buyable.

Chrieger
Sep 24, 2006

It is got toothpick!

Zefiel posted:

Makes sense, this feels like the webcomic version of that prank where you release in a college campus three pigs, each numbered 1,2,4.

No, see that's what they EXPECT by now. They quit the search after catching 1,2 and 4 while 3 keeps wreaking havoc. Don't know yet how to transfer this logic to achewood, though.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Chrieger posted:

No, see that's what they EXPECT by now. They quit the search after catching 1,2 and 4 while 3 keeps wreaking havoc. Don't know yet how to transfer this logic to achewood, though.

Eventually, they give up and decide to stop looking...

:what: ...Onstad.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
New strip. It's poo poo.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

welp, that's what a week's worth of whatever gets you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm disappointed, since I was expecting this to be a wrap-up and not a continuation. The weirdness is neat, but it doesn't feel worth the wait.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Hopefully it's just an in between and reads better sandwiched between two other pages.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
If I wanted meaningless surrealism that I'll forget a minute after experiencing, I'd go to sleep.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Medically speaking, Ray is partying.

Chrieger
Sep 24, 2006

It is got toothpick!

Pope Guilty posted:

Medically speaking, Ray is partying.

Man if that is Chris' idea of partying, I really really hope I never get invited to one of them.

Also to get back to the pig analogy, It seems like we just found out that there WAS a 3, except it died and has been rotting in a substation for a week.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Haha, whoever asked about examples of misogyny in Achewood need only read the current update.

Psycho Serum
Apr 28, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Van Dis posted:

Haha, whoever asked about examples of misogyny in Achewood need only read the current update.

Yep, this arc is totally convincing me that Onstad believes women cannot do math. That is what we are supposed to take away from this. People with finger molecule communicators live in collapsing houses designing each other, there are electric chair toilets, laser printers with evil whisk attachements, and women can't count to 12. Good catch, mate. Never woulda noticed the creeping, all pervasive misogyny!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Van Dis posted:

Did you know that the reason most normal people are not feminists is because they hear about people who think that Achewood is misogynist because of a page like this and think all feminism is as obnoxious as that statement.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Psycho Serum posted:

Yep, this arc is totally convincing me that Onstad believes women cannot do math. That is what we are supposed to take away from this. People with finger molecule communicators live in collapsing houses designing each other, there are electric chair toilets, laser printers with evil whisk attachements, and women can't count to 12. Good catch, mate. Never woulda noticed the creeping, all pervasive misogyny!

This, my friends is a put down.

But yay, an update I guess?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SeanBeansShako posted:

But yay, an update I guess?

Pretty much. It's not all that bad but it would have read better as one in a series of rapid updates, which is what I imagined Onsted planned it as.

Instead we're getting drip-fed non-sequiturs. It's not surprising no-one's impressed.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Achewood: Strip quality is on par with the value of Onstad's word.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I think it's kind of weird that this is Achewood. Like, I'm not sure why Ray is a character in this arc, rather than a human or some other new person. It seems like Onstad might be happier doing an offshoot comic if it's mostly going to be creepy surrealism without banter or humor related to pre-established character personalities. But maybe that's coming later.

To be fair, I guess Roast Beef was present a few strips ago, it just feels like longer due to time.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Yeah, I'd pack it in. This isn't Achewood anymore, it's Probe The Depths Of Onstad. Whatever's bothering him is clearly showing in both his work ethic and his output. If you're looking for other good webcomics, I'd recommend: Oglaf, Gunnerkrigg Court, Rice Boy and Order of Tales, PREQUEL, Family Man, and Lackadaisy.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Psycho Serum posted:

ChairMaster posted:

Did you know that the reason most normal people are not feminists is because they hear about people who think that Achewood is misogynist because of a page like this and think all feminism is as obnoxious as that statement.

Misogyny is more than men slapping women. Having a main character who defaults to misogynist stereotypes is misogynistic, even if it is ironic, because we are supposed to find it funny that Ray has poor opinions of women. What Onstad himself actually believes isn't really relevant, since his comic uses misogynistic humor.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Van Dis posted:

Misogyny is more than men slapping women. Having a main character who defaults to misogynist stereotypes is misogynistic, even if it is ironic, because we are supposed to find it funny that Ray has poor opinions of women. What Onstad himself actually believes isn't really relevant, since his comic uses misogynistic humor.

The point is that Ray thinks something dumb. This is not supposed to be a sympathetic statement. You must've HATED Catcher in the Rye.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Electric Pope posted:

The point is that Ray thinks something dumb. This is not supposed to be a sympathetic statement. You must've HATED Catcher in the Rye.

The vehicle for humor is a character making misogynistic statements; whether they're lampooned or in earnest doesn't bear at all on the fact that Onstad uses misogyny to construct the Achewood world and characters. Trying to extrapolate that to "Ray thinks something dumb" is pretty bad reading.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
So what do you think of the preceding mounds and mounds of racial caricature that have been nowhere near as small and particular as a wacked-out cat saying "Women can't do math"?

I agree with you on Achewood not exactly being a bulwark of progressivist idealism, but there is some value to be placed in being able to laugh at these characters because they're womanizers and misogynists. They're sympathetic grotesques, but grotesques nonetheless. Honestly the race issue bugs me more; the only thing that keeps me from getting heebied out about the sort of stereotypical rap/hip hop patois Ray has is that he's not identifiable as any particular race, being a cat.

And on the subject of whether or not the latest comic needs Ray, well. I recall years ago during the GOF book fanfare that Onstad mentioned wanting to turn it into a screenplay (?) with human characters (??) so assuming that wasn't some sly joke, it seems he wanted to move beyond silly animal surrealism at one point. He just... hasn't.

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Honestly the race issue bugs me more; the only thing that keeps me from getting heebied out about the sort of stereotypical rap/hip hop patois Ray has is that he's not identifiable as any particular race, being a cat.
Well, in the strip, Roast Beef is a cat, but has Jewish ancestry...

I've said this before in this thread, but I'm 80% sure Ray is supposed to be the cat equivalent of a white dude. He's just ultra-wealthy, and cares a lot about the image he projects. The 20% unsure part is the general fluidity of Achewood's plot and universe.

People use that one strip where Téodor makes fun of how Ray talks as evidence that Ray is supposed to be "black", but if you actually read it that way, Téodor comes off as a huge racist rather than a friend mocking Ray's persona. In one strip, Ray uses his French heritage as an excuse about his facial hair. His grandfather being a famous blues musician could go either way.

Again, I feel like a nutcase actually analyzing and caring about the race of a character in Achewood, but I guess it is because I would feel kind of weird about some of the humor applied to Ray, were he supposed to be a black character.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jesus Christ, Achewood doing surreal poo poo is not even close to new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Happy Hippo posted:

Jesus Christ, Achewood doing surreal poo poo is not even close to new.

Doing surreal unfunny poo poo is pretty novel though.