Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

I know this is old:

And we just talked about it a few pages ago. But from now on, whenever you see it on Facebook/G+ you can just link this back:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-2-2012/poor-pee-ple

The last two minutes made me just lose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

So I got this today. My mom sent it to me, and ladies at her work sent it to her. When I pressed for details, like, names and the like, she only said she wishes I wouldn't drink diet soda.

My dad has MS and about 6 months ago stopped drinking diet soda on advice from some nutjob friend. Needless to say, his condition is not improving.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My dad has MS and about 6 months ago stopped drinking diet soda on advice from some nutjob friend. Needless to say, his condition is not improving.

Cutting soda out of your diet isn't a bad plan either way.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Armyman25 posted:

The problem with sentiments like this is that people do it in exclusion of actual real medical care.

http://whatstheharm.net/alternativemedicine.html

That may not be this case. But its important not to give things like this a pass because people who believe it can get seriously harmed.

Edit: There's nothing specifically I can find on the soda thing, that pretty benign, but its one step down the rabbit hole. Soda gave you MS time to DETOXIFY. http://whatstheharm.net/detoxification.html

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 5, 2012

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
In relation to a study about low IQ being related to racism

quote:

Ok. Let me see if I got this down now.....

An African-American commits a violent crime somewhere in the less-than-savory areas of his hometown during another act of crime, such as a robbery, drug deal, or other possible gang-related activity.

Said African-American gets noticed by local law enforcement, commences fleeing.

A-A (for abbreviation purposes only...) gets cornered in a particular area and decides he must do anything and everything he can in order to ensure his freedom, commencing with further violent acts to police and surrounding neighbors or passers-by.

Police do the only thing they can to guarantee the perpetrator (formally known as A-A...) cannot commit further violent crimes against the police and populace in that immediate area, and subsequently the perp (formally known as perpetrator...) is essentially brought down in a hail of gunfire.

Perp dies in the middle of a street as police officers cuff him, in an area sparsely illuminated by police helicopters at 3AM.

Local news media has recorded much of the action on remote cameras after listening to police radio broadcasts and shadowing them in TV vans.

The following morning, said news media visits the home of the family of the now-deceased perp, mother is there still sobbing after a rough 16 years of her life dealing with her child.

Mother pleads with the news media and the rest of the world that her son was a wonderful human being that never meant any harm or cried foul against another human being in his life, and that only Final Judgement from The Lamb Who Is Our Savior is the only true Justice in a racially-motivated, mixed-up world.

Mother then proceeds to berate the "lacking pigmentation Satanic society" (READ: WHITE DEVIL...) as having consistently dogged her sons every step and misstep in life, and that the established Peace-Givers have made his 16 long years on this humble planet an absolute Purgatory.

Mother pleads with her like-minded and similarly pigmented extended family about her plight in raising 20 kids and no additional parental support.

----

I am an intellectual.

I watch this on television.

I see a pattern constantly evolving.

And because of that.... I am considered stupid.

-----

AND Racist.

------

Well okie dokie buddy, I'm glad you proved that you can be both smart and racist.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

streetlamp posted:

In relation to a study about low IQ being related to racism

Well okie dokie buddy, I'm glad you proved that you can be both smart and racist.

Nope. He is still stupid and racist. If he was smart, he would realize the underlying pattern was built on poverty, not race.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I like that he feels so righteous in his television judgment of the situation, and basically every aspect of poverty, race, and the relationship between poor minorities AND whites, and the police.

I grew up literally in the ghetto of Philadelphia, and the situation is so much more nuanced and systemic than most anyone would give it credit for.

Kosmonaut
Mar 9, 2009

quote:

I am an intellectual.

I watch this on television.

Whoa there, way to set the bar too high and then immediately smack your head on it.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Amused to Death posted:

Too bad the USPS hasn't received tax money since before I was born.

What is with that? One of the politics undergrad courses that I had to go to at Uni dealt with your constitution as a model for ours, we had to actually read that crap and write short answers as part of our assessment. I am pretty sure the USPS is the only government agency that is actually constitutionally mandated, because that was one of the questions on the exam. I might be wrong, it was ages ago, pretty sure that was the case though.

e: Thinking on it I am almost certain that is the case. So, how the hell is that legal? (Uppity people from other countries knowing about your constitution. Bastards.)

Incident Number fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 5, 2012

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Incident Number posted:

What is with that? One of the politics undergrad courses that I had to go to at Uni dealt with your constitution as a model for ours, we had to actually read that crap and write short answers as part of our assessment. I am pretty sure the USPS is the only government agency that is actually constitutionally mandated, because that was one of the questions on the exam. I might be wrong, it was ages ago, pretty sure that was the case though.

e: Thinking on it I am almost certain that is the case. So, how the hell is that legal? (Uppity people from other countries knowing about your constitution. Bastards.)

The program is constitutionally mandated, but how it's funded is probably handled entirely by congress. It's funded by user fees, and you can ship something from sea to shining sea for under half a buck. Adjusted for inflation, the price of a stamp has stayed roughly the same for over a century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_United_States_postage_rates

It's probably one of the best run government programs on the planet, but that won't stop regressive fuckheads from making GBS threads all over it.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Snoggle posted:

The program is constitutionally mandated, but how it's funded is probably handled entirely by congress. It's funded by user fees, and you can ship something from sea to shining sea for under half a buck. Adjusted for inflation, the price of a stamp has stayed roughly the same for over a century.

It's probably one of the best run government programs on the planet, but that won't stop regressive fuckheads from making GBS threads all over it.

Plus they're actively sabotaging it so they can make it the poster child for why Government can't do anything right, but its really the poster child for why the Republicans have no business running anything. In 2006 the Republican Congress and President Bush passed a law requiring the Post Office to set aside funding for its next 75 years of pensions; they have 10 years to do it. In 2006, the Post Office operated with a Net Income of ~$0.75B. Between 2003-2005 they had Net Income of between $1B-4B each year. In 2007, they reported a $5.5B loss. And they have been making huge budget cuts, but still suffering losses ever since.

The 2006 law costs the post office ~$5.5B a year. Without it, the Post Office would have posted income gains every year since 2000 expect for 2001, 2002, 2010, and 2011. All years suffering from a Recession.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine
^^Wait, this is them termiting the US constitution and seeing how it goes across with the voting public?

Snoggle posted:

So basically they took the Royal Mail and codified it into law, nice. You guys should amend a few more government agencies, like the DOD, for instance, into the constitution.

Still, if some people are trying to defund this and it has not had government funds and been imposed significant and unrealistic liabilities (I checked) in the last decade, how is this legal?

How can you attack the viability, and funding of a constitutionally mandated government agency? Is this just some long term bullshit that results in a referendum about the USPS with some really other vaguely worded insane thing like banning homosexuality included?

Hang on. Is the problem because you would have to defund the DoD or Homeland Security before this? Is that the issue?

Incident Number fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 5, 2012

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Incident Number posted:

^^Wait, this is them termiting the US constitution and seeing how it goes across with the voting public?

So basically they took the Royal Mail and codified it into law, nice. You guys should amend a few more government agencies, like the DOD, for instance, into the constitution.

Still, if some people are trying to defund this and it has not had government funds and been imposed significant and unrealistic liabilities (I checked) in the last decade, how is this legal?

How can you attack the viability, and funding of a constitutionally mandated government agency? Is this just some long term bullshit that results in a referendum about the USPS with some really other vaguely worded insane thing like banning homosexuality included?

Hang on. Is the problem because you would have to defund the DoD or Homeland Security before this? Is that the issue?

It's legal because it's not illegal, at least not blatantly so.

It's part of a wider strategy by conservatives called "starve the beast" that's intended both to reduce the size of government and to instill the idea that government is, as Reagan said, "the problem". I imagine the end game would be a new, privately contracted for-profit USPS. The USPS has historically been a very efficient and well run system, which doesn't conform with the idea that government is inherently wasteful and slow so conservatives want to do everything they can to make it that way.

As an aside, there is no Federal referendum process, if that's what you were referring to.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Soviet Commubot posted:

It's legal because it's not illegal, at least not blatantly so.

It's part of a wider strategy by conservatives called "starve the beast" that's intended both to reduce the size of government and to instill the idea that government is, as Reagan said, "the problem". I imagine the end game would be a new, privately contracted for-profit USPS. The USPS has historically been a very efficient and well run system, which doesn't conform with the idea that government is inherently wasteful and slow so conservatives want to do everything they can to make it that way.

As an aside, there is no Federal referendum process, if that's what you were referring to.

Right, that is really loving insane.

As for the referendum process, how do you guys amend the constitution if not through popular referendum with a majority of states?

It is essentially a referendum after a constitutional convention. Majority of people in 2/3 of states thing.

Incident Number fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2012

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Incident Number posted:

As for the referendum process, how do you guys amend the constitution if not through popular referendum with a majority of states?

E: It is essentially a referendum after a constitutional convention.

After an amendment is proposed it's ratified either by the legislatures of 3/4 of the states or by special conventions in 3/4 of the states.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Incident Number posted:

American government was specifically constructed to moderate the amount of influence the hoi polloi could wield:

Notice that there is no way to propose an amendment by popular vote. The closest you get it the state legislatures doing it by calling a convention, but modern US state legislatures are gerrymandered, strange institutions dominated by old white doctors and lawyers. Hell, in a majority of US states, being a state legislator is only a part time job that comes with a minimal stipend instead of a salary.

Having the national congress propose it is the second way, but obviously the incumbent Congress has little interest in far reaching reform of its structures.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Soviet Commubot posted:

After an amendment is proposed it's ratified either by the legislatures of 3/4 of the states or by special conventions in 3/4 of the states.

Yeah, but this would be derived by popular vote, not random wankers who were previously elected just voting, right? There is no way they could get away with loving you over like that? If so I guess this is why we have mandatory voting on all amendments here.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Incident Number posted:

Yeah, but this would be derived by popular vote, not random wankers who were previously elected just voting, right?

At no point, except possibly state conventions, which are ill defined, does a Constitutional amendment encounter a national popular vote. In fact, nothing in the American government is based on a national popular vote directly -- and this is absolutely on purpose.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

BrotherAdso posted:

At no point, except possibly state conventions, which are ill defined, does a Constitutional amendment encounter a national popular vote. In fact, nothing in the American government is based on a national popular vote directly -- and this is absolutely on purpose.

That is bizarre. If it changes the constitution it should be a mandatory national vote.

I come from a mandatory voting place, but even if I didn't there is no loving way your constitution should be amended without a plebiscite.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Incident Number posted:

That is bizarre. If it changes the constitution it should be a mandatory national vote.

I come from a mandatory voting place, but even if I didn't there is no loving way your constitution should be amended without a plebiscite.

The people who wrote our Constitution in 1787 feared the pebes with a deep terror known only by rich white men who had just watched the Haitian revolution and were beginning to see the French Revolution start. We are still using the same Constitution, with some nibbling around the edges (making black people not slaves, letting women vote, etc).

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

BrotherAdso posted:

The people who wrote our Constitution in 1787 feared the pebes with a deep terror known only by rich white men who had just watched the Haitian revolution and were beginning to see the French Revolution start. We are still using the same Constitution, with some nibbling around the edges (making black people not slaves, letting women vote, etc).

I guess we learned some stuff. We let women vote in 1901 with the institution of the constitution (I think second place) and amended it in 1967 via a plebiscite to allow traditional landowners full franchise (really loving horrible).

I guess the thing we took from you in the 'Wasminster Mutation' was a living constitution.

Also, mandatory voting, while a massive pain in the anus on the particular day is a pretty good thing, especially since they can sell booze on the day now. You should do this, it is a bit like a holiday and you can skive off work for a few hours because you have to vote.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

nomina nuda tenemus

Incident Number posted:

I guess we learned some stuff. We let women vote in 1901 with the institution of the constitution (I think second place) and amended it in 1967 via a plebiscite to allow traditional landowners full franchise (really loving horrible).

I guess the thing we took from you in the 'Wasminster Mutation' was a living constitution.

Also, mandatory voting, while a massive pain in the anus on the particular day is a pretty good thing, especially since they can sell booze on the day now. You should do this, it is a bit like a holiday and you can skive off work for a few hours because you have to vote.

Americans don't believe in mandatory voting almost universally because voting is meant to be an excercize in civic duty. This line of reasoning basically says that if you can't be bothered to learn about the candidates and issues or sacrifice your time to give input, your vote would probably be counterproductive because it comes from a place of laziness/ignorance.

It's a crap line of reasoning but a substantial majority of Americans embrace it, so there will never be mandatory voting in this country, at least not in the near future.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

BrotherAdso posted:

Americans don't believe in mandatory voting almost universally because voting is meant to be an excercize in civic duty. This line of reasoning basically says that if you can't be bothered to learn about the candidates and issues or sacrifice your time to give input, your vote would probably be counterproductive because it comes from a place of laziness/ignorance.

It's a crap line of reasoning but a substantial majority of Americans embrace it, so there will never be mandatory voting in this country, at least not in the near future.

It is just because that here, if you penalise your employees for taking time off to vote you get destroyed by the government, isn't it?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see this one on FB.It's such a change of pace from the BS I usually see there I had to post it. :unsmith:

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Retarded Pimp posted:

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see this one on FB.It's such a change of pace from the BS I usually see there I had to post it. :unsmith:

It is the whole thing, isn't it. If you allow a thing to happen it dose not effect you. If you ban something it effects a whole load of people who are not you.

Why the hell ban it?

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

Replacing diet soda with the real thing is if you're a fatty or a diabetic.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Herman Merman posted:

Replacing diet soda with the real thing is if you're a fatty or a diabetic.

I meant cutting out soda completely as opposed to switching to regular pop. I did have a clerk at a convenience store try to tell me that diet was just as bad as regular which of course makes no sense when you look at the shear difference in calories.

I've stopped drinking either and I feel a lot better though. Cheaper too.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine
Is this a real problem in your military?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Incident Number posted:

Is this a real problem in your military?

Drinking pop?

The Army basically runs on energy drinks and coffee though.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Incident Number posted:

It is the whole thing, isn't it. If you allow a thing to happen it dose not effect you. If you ban something it effects a whole load of people who are not you.

Why the hell ban it?

Depends. Some of those, like smoking in public areas, do effect others. But generally the reason is God.

As for the earlier stuff. The easiest way to think of the US is that it was founded as a group of States, not a group of people. Nowadays it seems stupid and if we could change it I would, but its nearly impossible to change the Constitution to that degree.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Armyman25 posted:

Drinking pop?

The Army basically runs on energy drinks and coffee though.

Has that red bull bullshit I saw in 2003 become an industry?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Incident Number posted:

Has that red bull bullshit I saw in 2003 become an industry?

Am I missing something here? I feel like this is a trick question.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Incident Number, I thought you were from Australia, but apparently you are from the moon.

Here in America, Red Bull is in nearly every gas station, grocery store, convenience store, liquor store and bar. I have no direct knowledge, but I can only assume our fighting men abroad have access to it in quantity.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

Incident Number, I thought you were from Australia, but apparently you are from the moon.

Here in America, Red Bull is in nearly every gas station, grocery store, convenience store, liquor store and bar. I have no direct knowledge, but I can only assume our fighting men abroad have access to it in quantity.

The Army issues an energy drink called Rip It, which is cheap and nasty as hell. I knew a lot of guys who would buy Monster or Red Bull because they liked those better.

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

Soviet Commubot posted:

The Army issues an energy drink called Rip It, which is cheap and nasty as hell. I knew a lot of guys who would buy Monster or Red Bull because they liked those better.

So you guys are actually supplying that crap now? Holy poo poo.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

Soviet Commubot posted:

Aaahahaha this loving country.

It isn't enough to pass out Nuvigil like breath mints?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

niggerstink420 posted:

I think if you qualify for Special Forces then you graduate to meth and anabolic steroids.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Incident Number you're going to hurt yourself if you keep trying to bring rational thought to anything that America does :ohdear:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

niggerstink420 posted:

I remember my squadron's physician's assistant saying that they gave out more Ambien than aspirin during my last deployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incident Number
Nov 22, 2011

by T. Fine

myron_cope posted:

Incident Number you're going to hurt yourself if you keep trying to bring rational thought to anything that America does :ohdear:

I'm trying. It is like my sisters kid. He is loving nuts and wants to break stuff. He is good times a lot when he is here, but destroys stuff if I don't watch him.

Good kid, bad attitude: The US.

I was in Borneo and Timor back in the day, and it was not fun. I was in Afghanistan at the start and that crap was definitely not fun. I mean, you go in now and spend all day jacking off in some base far behind the lines. You don't get how loving bad doing these things were back in the day.

If you were there at the start it loving sucked. Turned me completely against the war on terror.

E: I'm some kind of traitor.

Incident Number fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 5, 2012