Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Oh look, the Samsung Epic got another software update, and now we have a new issue! This time the phone literally won't make phone calls. Way to go Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh look, the Samsung Epic got another software update, and now we have a new issue! This time the phone literally won't make phone calls. Way to go Samsung.

Hey guys Samsung's changed! :downs:

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Duckman2008 posted:

:lol: Samsung. Is this the original Epic or the Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch (Sprint) HOLY poo poo COULD ITS NAME BE ANY LONGER?

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I didn't want to go through the trouble of unrooting my phone to remove CIQ with the last update and jeez I'm glad I didn't for this one either.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I'm on $30 SERO with a Touch Pro 2. I bought an Evo which FedEx says is sitting on my porch and it will hopefully be there when I get home.

Can I activate it online, or do I have to call the SERO service number (SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282). This info isn't on the FAQ in the OP.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I'm on $30 SERO with a Touch Pro 2. I bought an Evo which FedEx says is sitting on my porch and it will hopefully be there when I get home.

Can I activate it online, or do I have to call the SERO service number (SERO/EPRP: 866-264-1282). This info isn't on the FAQ in the OP.

Sorry, but you'll have to actually speak to a person for upwards of 2 minutes to change your plan to sero-p.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

letsgoflyers81 posted:

:lol: Samsung. Is this the original Epic or the Samsung Galaxy S™ II, Epic™ 4G Touch (Sprint) HOLY poo poo COULD ITS NAME BE ANY LONGER?

Original Epic. So far beyond one bug that is now fixed the Epic Touch is fine.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

WoG posted:

Sorry, but you'll have to actually speak to a person for upwards of 2 minutes to change your plan to sero-p.
I've got no problem with that, I just don't want to do the wrong thing and risk losing the plan. Duckman, maybe put that in the OP FAQ?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've got no problem with that, I just don't want to do the wrong thing and risk losing the plan. Duckman, maybe put that in the OP FAQ?

Sure, I'll toss it in.

WoG you are about to make the OP. You should feel honored.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Duckman, I'm calling you out on this. I've yet to hear of a widely-reported problem with the EL30 update resulting in an inability to make calls. Unless:

1. There's an even newer software update that the public isn't aware of yet, in which case it's a moot point.

2. Someone came in today with a phone with a botched modem, possibly right after the update.

That said, it's been long known that modem updates can occasionally go bad, which itself isn't excusable, but is usually fixed with a modem reflash. To my knowledge, EL30 isn't any different in this regard.

Or are you were of a pervasive problem with EL30, and has it been confirmed "inside?" If so, that would be helpful for users to know, although I imagine they would've discovered such for themselves by now.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Duckman, I'm calling you out on this. I've yet to hear of a widely-reported problem with the EL30 update resulting in an inability to make calls. Unless:

1. There's an even newer software update that the public isn't aware of yet, in which case it's a moot point.

2. Someone came in today with a phone with a botched modem, possibly right after the update.

That said, it's been long known that modem updates can occasionally go bad, which itself isn't excusable, but is usually fixed with a modem reflash. To my knowledge, EL30 isn't any different in this regard.

Or are you were of a pervasive problem with EL30, and has it been confirmed "inside?" If so, that would be helpful for users to know, although I imagine they would've discovered such for themselves by now.

I should have been more specific on the problem and solution. My bad on that. See below.

After the software update to EL30,Epic customers may be experiencing a force close when they receive a call. Tell Epic customer’s experiencing this issue that it’s a known issue caused by the user having more than five "reject call with message" messages on their device. A "reject call with message" is the message that a user can send via text when they choose to reject an inbound call. The default number of messages included with this build is five. Users who have added additional custom messages for a total of sixor more options will experience the force close condition.

This issue will be fixed in the next software update. Until the next software update,use this temporary fix–Delete messages from the "reject call with message" message list. Go to Menu > Settings > Call settings > Reject with message You’ll see the complete list of available messages; make sure it contains no more than five entries If the list contains more than five,choose the Menu key and select Delete You should see a select option boxnext to each message. Check the boxnext to the message that should be removed and select Delete one last time The device should be able to receive calls after the list contains fewer than 5 entries

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 4, 2012

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
I'm having an odd issue: earlier tonight my Shift decided to stop connecting to anything cellular or WiMax related, WiFi still works. I'm kind of at a loss. Just sitting in my lap and then nothing. I have an old Hero that I just fired up and was able to *2 no problem, so I'm guessing there's no system outage. Checked the Status screen on the Shift, Signal Strength shows at -120db.

I've been running Cyanogen Mod 7.1 latest nightly from November, with no issues for over a month.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

WoG you are about to make the OP. You should feel honored.
Woo, twice in two weeks!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I live in Omaha too and get pretty good reception here in north Omaha. There's a sprint tower right across the street from me. I do sometimes get bad signal but that's not often, if at all.

That's surprising considering so many prepaid carriers use Sprint bands. How's your data speeds?

e: So if I read that dev note correctly, the recent update to the Epic (the old one, the slider) causes the dialer/phone all to crash if the user has more than the default number of "reject with message" phrases stored? Samsung's software development is such a shitshow.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 4, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I should have been more specific on the problem and solution.
Ah, thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of that bug, and I can see how it's sill frustrating. You happen to know what the old limit was?

And yes, it's a very Samsung-esque thing to lower a maximum value like that arbitrarily and have it break poo poo. That's why we love them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ah, thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of that bug, and I can see how it's sill frustrating. You happen to know what the old limit was?

And yes, it's a very Samsung-esque thing to lower a maximum value like that arbitrarily and have it break poo poo. That's why we love them.

No idea on the old limit, I don't think many people use the auto ignore app, which is why it took a bit to be noticed.

most bugs don't piss people off, but for those who did get this one, not being able to make phone calls tends to be a breaking point for customers. I didn't have many with this issue, but the ones that had it were very vocal about it.

The Electronaut posted:

I'm having an odd issue: earlier tonight my Shift decided to stop connecting to anything cellular or WiMax related, WiFi still works. I'm kind of at a loss. Just sitting in my lap and then nothing. I have an old Hero that I just fired up and was able to *2 no problem, so I'm guessing there's no system outage. Checked the Status screen on the Shift, Signal Strength shows at -120db.

I've been running Cyanogen Mod 7.1 latest nightly from November, with no issues for over a month.

Flash to a sense ROM, do an update profile, make sure that works, flash back. You won't be able to do much programming for the shift on cyanogen (or its a lot of effort).

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Flash to a sense ROM, do an update profile, make sure that works, flash back. You won't be able to do much programming for the shift on cyanogen (or its a lot of effort).

Thanks DM2008.

No dice. Flashed Fresh (a sense based rom). Update never works and shoots an error code. Going into ##DEBUG#, 1x Engineering shows the CDMA radio searching through bands and channels. And Call Processing State seems to stay on status 0, only once in a while changing to status 8.

Any ideas? Flash back to a stock rom and contact Sprint? I'm a SERO plan and I have TEP.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
I've got a rooted HTC EVO 4G, and Android 2.3.5 just got pushed out to me. I tried updating, but I get the error triangle when I install it. I brought this up in the rooted Android thread, but I figure I'll put it here too since I'm on Sprint. Is it my problem because I decided to root?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pill for your ills posted:

I've got a rooted HTC EVO 4G, and Android 2.3.5 just got pushed out to me. I tried updating, but I get the error triangle when I install it. I brought this up in the rooted Android thread, but I figure I'll put it here too since I'm on Sprint. Is it my problem because I decided to root?

Yes. Flash a rooted stock ROM with the update.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Thanks Duckman2008. I ended up hitting the repair center store: they had me drop it off, came back in the specified time period, and was told they were out of stock on Shifts but a store across town had them. Ran across town and swapped out the device.

PTrexitus
Aug 21, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Lol yea that issue popped up a couple weeks ago in the known issues reports. Im not sure one update has gone through for that phone that wasn't an issue. I mean how do you gently caress up 2.2 twice.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm on an eprp 5 line family plan. My sister needs a new phone (and has an upgrade). Is the Admiral still the go-to upgrade if you don't want to pay the $10 4g fee?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm on an eprp 5 line family plan. My sister needs a new phone (and has an upgrade). Is the Admiral still the go-to upgrade if you don't want to pay the $10 4g fee?
Literally every smartphone requires the $10 premium data fee now. It's not just 4G phones anymore.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

td4guy posted:

Literally every smartphone requires the $10 premium data fee now. It's not just 4G phones anymore.
I think that only applies to phones released after a specific date. Someone else will chime in.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

If you are on EPRP all phones have required the $10 data fee since a year ago. Customers with the older SERO plan have had a slight exception until recently, since their plans start at $30, add $10 for a smartphone and $10 for a 4G phone. Since you don't have SERO, unfortunately every phone now requires the $10 fee.

If you must upgrade now, iPhone 4S, Nexus S Galaxy 2 (Epic Touch) and the Evo 3D are the go to phones. What we have been advising on here is to buy a Nexus S or Evo 3D used (they go $200-300 usually) and wait out of the Galaxy Nexus when that comes out.

If she ends up wanting an iphone, obviously just get the iphone now.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

If you are on EPRP all phones have required the $10 data fee since a year ago. Customers with the older SERO plan have had a slight exception until recently, since their plans start at $30, add $10 for a smartphone and $10 for a 4G phone. Since you don't have SERO, unfortunately every phone now requires the $10 fee.

If you must upgrade now, iPhone 4S, Nexus S Galaxy 2 (Epic Touch) and the Evo 3D are the go to phones. What we have been advising on here is to buy a Nexus S or Evo 3D used (they go $200-300 usually) and wait out of the Galaxy Nexus when that comes out.

If she ends up wanting an iphone, obviously just get the iphone now.

Well, she's 14, so she basically wants whatever I say she wants. :P

Thanks for the advice all, I'll probably just send her my EVO 4g.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Grumpwagon posted:

The Samsung Replenish doesn't incur the $10 smartphone fee, nor is it 4G.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The Samsung Replenish doesn't incur the $10 smartphone fee, nor is it 4G.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

Hey, they're finally starting to decommission some iDEN towers soon. http://s4gru.spruz.com/pt/Sprint-unveils-iDEN-Network-Website-with-Decommissioning-Tower-Maps/blog.htm

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Is there any time frame for ICS on the Evo 3D besides "Early 2012?"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's no way Sprint puts out an ICS update for anything before the GalNex launches, other than that I don't think anyone really has any idea.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Q_res posted:

There's no way Sprint puts out an ICS update for anything before the GalNex launches,
1. The Nexus S 4G ICS update is imminent.

2. Besides the NS4G, is there anything that suggests this is the case for other devices?

Personally I'd be surpirsed if we saw an ICS update for the Evo 3D before May-June. However it's not clear that we'll see the GNex by May-June. Furthermore, there's no reason to believe that other device ICS updates are being withheld until the GNex ships, that's silly. In practice it's a race to see who is the slowest.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. The Nexus S 4G ICS update is imminent.
Well, as long as you've got detailed, concrete info like that...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

2. Besides the NS4G, is there anything that suggests this is the case for other devices?

Personally I'd be surpirsed if we saw an ICS update for the Evo 3D before May-June. However it's not clear that we'll see the GNex by May-June. Furthermore, there's no reason to believe that other device ICS updates are being withheld until the GNex ships, that's silly. In practice it's a race to see who is the slowest.
It's very simple: 'First Android 4.0 Device' is a good selling point. It's neither silly nor "a race to see who is the slowest" (...what?); I'm not suggesting they're holding back already-finished updates, but they've got no reason to fast track them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spidoman posted:

Is there any time frame for ICS on the Evo 3D besides "Early 2012?"

Sprint hasn't announced anything on software updates and usually is pretty good at keeping things close to the chest now a days beyond about a 1 week notice. I would suggest flashing if you need it now, every thing sans camera and 4G work fine for me at this point.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

WoG posted:

Well, as long as you've got detailed, concrete info like that...
The Sprint proprietaries for the NS4G were released on android.com on December 16th, with the AOSP code drop a bit earlier. These are the two components needed to make fully functional ROM for the NS4G, which, indeed folks have been doing for over a month now. This means the components are in place for an actual release. Granted, there hasn't been an official release, but that's due to bug fixing and testing as opposed to "have to port for Sprint application code."

Second, the NS4G 4.0.4 ROM leak last week demonstrated that there's a ready-to-go build actually prepared. I would speculate (and yes, speculate) that it's in the final phases of testing. I really don't see Sprint shelving it for another three months, at least, until a GNex launch. Particularly when GSM Nexus S updates are and have been available.

WoG posted:

It's very simple: 'First Android 4.0 Device' is a good selling point.
Except that's not a selling point. The first domestically-released ICS device in the US was the Galaxy Nexus, followed by the GSM Nexus S update shortly thereafter. I suppose Sprint could construct a scenario where the GNex would be the first ICS device on Sprint but that's going to alienate folks who are presently under contract with devices only a year old, for what?, to attract customers who have already gone to Verizon and elsewhere?

WoG posted:

I'm not suggesting they're holding back already-finished updates, but they've got no reason to fast track them.
OK, but the argument is that Sprint is going to release the GNex before any ICS update. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that's (i) an intentional strategy, or (ii) even likely.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint hasn't announced anything on software updates and usually is pretty good at keeping things close to the chest now a days beyond about a 1 week notice. I would suggest flashing if you need it now, every thing sans camera and 4G work fine for me at this point.

Are there significant speed/battery life improvements? I use the 4g some but can live without it, and the same goes for the camera.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Sprint proprietaries for the NS4G were released on android.com on December 16th, with the AOSP code drop a bit earlier. These are the two components needed to make fully functional ROM for the NS4G, which, indeed folks have been doing for over a month now. This means the components are in place for an actual release. Granted, there hasn't been an official release, but that's due to bug fixing and testing as opposed to "have to port for Sprint application code."

Second, the NS4G 4.0.4 ROM leak last week demonstrated that there's a ready-to-go build actually prepared. I would speculate (and yes, speculate) that it's in the final phases of testing. I really don't see Sprint shelving it for another three months, at least, until a GNex launch. Particularly when GSM Nexus S updates are and have been available.

Except that's not a selling point. The first domestically-released ICS device in the US was the Galaxy Nexus, followed by the GSM Nexus S update shortly thereafter. I suppose Sprint could construct a scenario where the GNex would be the first ICS device on Sprint but that's going to alienate folks who are presently under contract with devices only a year old, for what?, to attract customers who have already gone to Verizon and elsewhere?

OK, but the argument is that Sprint is going to release the GNex before any ICS update. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that's (i) an intentional strategy, or (ii) even likely.

Do you think that it'll be at least sometime before March? Someone on AndroidCentral found an article saying the Nexus S in France will get ICS in March. I realize this has nothing to do with the CDMA Nexus S 4G, but I think it would kind of cause a bit of tension (at least towards Google) if another country got ICS before those in the US did.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do you think that it'll be at least sometime before March? Someone on AndroidCentral found an article saying the Nexus S in France will get ICS in March. I realize this has nothing to do with the CDMA Nexus S 4G, but I think it would kind of cause a bit of tension (at least towards Google) if another country got ICS before those in the US did.

For the last time, nobody loving knows when ICS updates are coming out for any phone on sprint. American carriers in general have sucked at updates, why do people suddenly expect it to be different?

Seriously, if you want ICS on your phone, root and flash a ROM. Its not hard, and I've seen stable roms on all major new phones: evo 3D, nexus S, and epic touch.

Posted from my evo 3D running ice cream sandwich.

mastershakeman posted:

Are there significant speed/battery life improvements? I use the 4g some but can live without it, and the same goes for the camera.

Battery life isn't amazing, obviously the camera doesn't work, other wise it runs perfectly. I'd recommend flashing to ICS.

a63548
Mar 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously, if you want ICS on your phone, root and flash a ROM. Its not hard, and I've seen stable roms on all major new phones: evo 3D, nexus S, and epic touch.

Where might you have you seen a stable ICS ROM for the Epic 4G Touch? There is indeed a great alpha of CM9, but that seems to be it as far as I know.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the advice all. I ended up giving her my Evo.

Moving on, I installed oICS on my Nexus S 4g. Have people been using that, or CM9, or something else?

oICS mostly runs pretty well, but I'm seeing some lag, especially when multitasking. For example, when listening to music, or in the browser, when I hit the home button, frequently the recent application list comes up as if I was holding the menu button down. Is this an issue with the ROM, or just that ICS was designed for a device with more RAM/CPU power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a63548 posted:

Where might you have you seen a stable ICS ROM for the Epic 4G Touch? There is indeed a great alpha of CM9, but that seems to be it as far as I know.

My friend at work is running a ROM, no idea how stable it is. I can ask.