Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamburger
Jun 27, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

To contribute: http://youtu.be/ZInMDmqHtKY

What is that maneuver at 1:17? I don't know if its the camera but it looks like the rate of pitch at the end of that flip is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Slamburger posted:

What is that maneuver at 1:17? I don't know if its the camera but it looks like the rate of pitch at the end of that flip is insane.

It looks like a Pugachev's Cobra, with a completed flip. If you watch a little further, specifically 1:27, they do several Cobras. In this case it just looks like he went through the rotation, doing a backflip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugachev%27s_Cobra

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Oxford Comma posted:

I'm sure eventually all A-10 squadrons will be deactivated, but not immediately.

No, they will NEVER be deactivated. The Air Force will keep them running through maintenance rituals until they are revered as elder relics, their technology never to be duplicated. :commissar:

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Why do you people keep harping on the A-10's lack of radar. Why the hell would it even NEED one?

And I totally agree that Army/Marines shouldn't have indigenous fixed-wing CAS. Too many times in OEF we've had eyes on a target we could have have had a missile or bomb on in 60 seconds, only to have the JTAC wait for their battalion to sortie a Harrier which shows up late and fucks up the attack.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

And I totally agree that Army/Marines shouldn't have indigenous fixed-wing CAS.

Wrong. The Marines should have enough CAS capability for limited operations outside the skirts of a carrier group so they can do things like Lebanon-style evacuations of civilians or Libya-type limited interventions.

The Army should only be in the field somewhere there's a need for heavy boots on the ground, e.g. long land campaigns which we shouldn't be doing anyway because we should focus on the Pacific Rim and Africa, not Central Asia.

quote:

Too many times in OEF we've had eyes on a target we could have have had a missile or bomb on in 60 seconds, only to have the JTAC wait for their battalion to sortie a Harrier which shows up late and fucks up the attack.

There's a simple solution here: just like a taxi company, the nearest CAS asset should always get the job.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 1, 2012

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

co199 posted:

It looks like a Pugachev's Cobra, with a completed flip. If you watch a little further, specifically 1:27, they do several Cobras. In this case it just looks like he went through the rotation, doing a backflip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pugachev%27s_Cobra
So a Kulbit then?

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Insert name here posted:

So a Kulbit then?

...yes, drat. I forgot about the Kulbit.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Throatwarbler posted:

:911:

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 2, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

Did somebody say Sukhois?

(3543x2362)

(2784x1856)

(1920x1200)

(1772x1181)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

co199 posted:

:circlefap:

Some day...some day I will be obscenely rich and buy a Sukhoi to fly around with a N registration printed on its nacelles.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Who needs all this fancy STO/VTO capability when you can take off from the sea?

The Seamaster's up there with the Vulcan for beautiful yet impractical Cold War aircraft. Honestly a shame none of them ended up in a museum.

For bonus kicks, here's a great big ball of seaplane craziness.

edit: table breakage

My Great-uncle was one of the designers of the SeaMaster (and the XB-51). He passed away when I was young. I've finally gotten in touch with his daughter and I'm hoping to hear some design/development stories.

The XB-51 was an awesome plane but suffered from two drawbacks:

1. short range
2. Martin and the US government were at odds a lot during that period.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Weren't some of the biggest problems with the jet seaplanes were that they had a few that just plain broke apart in mid-air during testing?
I don't even want to think about landing in those thing when you factor in the speed the thing will be coming in on. And the sea is rarely calm enough for such landings.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the seamaster was like not at all actually useful as well. rad as hell, but the boat feature adds complexity and cost without being an improvement. plus there were huge issues around water ingestion and they had to overbuild the hulls even more due to higher landing and takeoff speeds.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Stumbling Block posted:

Weren't some of the biggest problems with the jet seaplanes were that they had a few that just plain broke apart in mid-air during testing?
I don't even want to think about landing in those thing when you factor in the speed the thing will be coming in on. And the sea is rarely calm enough for such landings.

Landing those planes with the drooped wingtips just looks like a hooked wingtip and a cartwheeling aircraft waiting to happen.'

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's useless, yeah, but if WWIII broke out and you were on a fishing boat and a bunch of those landed near you while the bombs went off, it would be an ok end. Most Cold War technology falls into this category.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Stumbling Block posted:

There were a lot of control system issues. One of the prototypes was lost when the the elevators went full up unexpectedly. The engines went straight while the plane went up. The wings actually clapped together under the fuselage before the plane broke up.

The engines were also not up to use on the ocean. They adapted J71's and had big problems with water ingestion.

Also, the Air Force had a fit when they found out that the Navy intended to air air-launched atomic weapons on the SeaMaster.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the seamaster was like not at all actually useful as well. rad as hell, but the boat feature adds complexity and cost without being an improvement. plus there were huge issues around water ingestion and they had to overbuild the hulls even more due to higher landing and takeoff speeds.

Makes me wonder how Beriev has managed to carve themselves such a nice niche.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, been gone out of this thread for a while but I found this referenced on another forum I go to every now and then and sounds kind of neat, a SAM simulator.

http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Anyone tried it before? I don't have a ton of time right now or I would, but I'm curious.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Why does the USMC insist upon using the MV-22 when they could have about 6 (or more) MH-60s for the same amount of money? I can understand there may be occasional circumstances where the extra speed or cargo of the Osprey can be handy, but on a whole it seems that the bulk of Marine tasks can be handled by the cheaper MH-60.

Oxford Comma fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 6, 2012

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Oxford Comma posted:

Why does the USMC insist upon using the MV-22 when they could have about 10 (or more) MH-60s for the same amount of money? I can understand there may be occasional circumstances where the extra speed or cargo of the Osprey can be handy, but on a whole it seems that the bulk of Marine tasks can be handled by the cheaper MH-60.

The Iran Hostage Rescue Debacle was the reason I always hear for the MV-22.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!

wdarkk posted:

The Iran Hostage Rescue Debacle was the reason I always hear for the MV-22.

Is it just me, or does that seem like a pretty niche reason?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Oxford Comma posted:

Why does the USMC insist upon using the MV-22 when they could have about 6 (or more) MH-60s for the same amount of money? I can understand there may be occasional circumstances where the extra speed or cargo of the Osprey can be handy, but on a whole it seems that the bulk of Marine tasks can be handled by the cheaper MH-60.

Let's compare specs...

CH-46s: 25 pax, shade under 7,000 lbs payload, 145 knots, and 160 nm combat radius.

UH-1N: 8 pax, 4,500 payload, 120 knots, and 124 nm combat radius.

CH-53D: 38 pax (55 max), 32,000 lbs payload (max), 170 knots, and 270 nm combat radius (less with max payload).

CH-53E: 37 pax (55 max), 32,000 lbs payload internal, 36,000 slung, 146 knots, and 270 nm combat radius (less with max).

MH-60S: 11 pax, 9,000 lbs slung load, 146 knots, and 225 nm combat radius (less with slung load).

So you could make the case that the proper replacement for the CH-46 would have been the MH-60S instead of the Osprey, since other than the maximum amount of troops the Knighthawk's specs are comparable or better (although the amount of troops for a medium lift helo is quite a bit more significant to the USMC than to the USN). Indeed, the whole reason for developing the Knighthawk was to replace the CH-46 in the UNREP role for the Navy. However, that doesn't tell the whole story...the vastly increased range/speed of the Osprey is its biggest justification. Eagle Claw was the initial inspiration for the program, but the reason the USMC have stuck with the program while everyone else (other than a limited AFSOC buy) has dropped out is because that increased range/speed is key to a shift in the way the Marines are intending to operate from the sea. Instead of immediate ship to shore maneuvers, they intend to operate from a further standoff distance (possibly important given the recent proliferation of anti-access weapons) and/or deploy forces further inland in one jump instead of having to seize a port before transitioning further inland, in ways that a -60/-53 rotary wing fleet wouldn't be able to support. Operational Maneuver From The Sea provides the doctrinal underpinnings for this push. It was both a shift in thinking and a shift in equipment (the Osprey, JSF, and AAAV/EFV are the most notable). With the (justified, IMHO) cancellation of the EFV the Osprey has become all the more important to this concept.

Now you could definitely make the case that the increased capability isn't enough to justify the vastly increased cost, and I would probably be sympathetic to that argument, but the reason for procuring them is quite a bit more complex than just "Eagle Claw."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SyHopeful posted:

Makes me wonder how Beriev has managed to carve themselves such a nice niche.

The number of units they move is pretty small.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

iyaayas01 posted:

Eagle Claw was the initial inspiration for the program, but the reason the USMC have stuck with the program while everyone else (other than a limited AFSOC buy) has dropped out is because that increased range/speed is key to a shift in the way the Marines are intending to operate from the sea. Instead of immediate ship to shore maneuvers, they intend to operate from a further standoff distance (possibly important given the recent proliferation of anti-access weapons) and/or deploy forces further inland in one jump instead of having to seize a port before transitioning further inland, in ways that a -60/-53 rotary wing fleet wouldn't be able to support. Operational Maneuver From The Sea provides the doctrinal underpinnings for this push. It was both a shift in thinking and a shift in equipment (the Osprey, JSF, and AAAV/EFV are the most notable). With the (justified, IMHO) cancellation of the EFV the Osprey has become all the more important to this concept.

Thanks for the info. What supports the Osprey at the LZ?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Styles Bitchley posted:

The F-35B of course!

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Armyman25 posted:

The F-35B of course!

Yup. The Marines have actually in at least one instance broken down the MEU ACE into two separate groups, one comprised solely of rotary winged Hueys and Cobras and the other comprised solely of fast jets and Ospreys, enabling autonomous operations between the two since the fast jets complimented the Osprey so well compared to helos. The Osprey also is supposed to have a rudimentary self defense capability with a belly mounted remotely operated turret in addition to the ramp gun, but the turret has faced some developmental issues.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup. The Marines have actually in at least one instance broken down the MEU ACE into two separate groups, one comprised solely of rotary winged Hueys and Cobras and the other comprised solely of fast jets and Ospreys, enabling autonomous operations between the two since the fast jets complimented the Osprey so well compared to helos. The Osprey also is supposed to have a rudimentary self defense capability with a belly mounted remotely operated turret in addition to the ramp gun, but the turret has faced some developmental issues.

That and by doctrine the Osprey is not supposed to land in a contested LZ.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

Styles Bitchley posted:

It hovers over it until the Sea Cobras catch up! :toot:

nplus1 elephants
Oct 23, 2010
I say it's perfectly heartless your eating muffins at all, under the circumstances
I had no idea what the Osprey was so I, of course, looked it up on Wikipedia.

I now understand what iyaayas meant when he said that the improved range was a "big deal"

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I regard the MV-22 in a much better light than the F-35; it's a deathtrap, sure, but at least it's a useful deathtrap.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

I regard the MV-22 in a much better light than the F-35; it's a deathtrap, sure, but at least it's a useful deathtrap.

It hasn't been a deathtrap since they got the big problems out of the way though :confused:

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Koesj posted:

It hasn't been a deathtrap since they got the big problems out of the way though :confused:

Old fears never die easy, especially since when an Osprey crashes it takes a lot of lives with it.

Compare this with a plane that cannot land on a carrier with the carrier specific "variant".

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

I'll admit it - these aviation tattoos posted in Danger Room are kind of awesome.

http://goo.gl/drqX2

Ruined by armpit hair:

Ruined by nipples:

Also, kind of dumb:

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

Oxford Comma posted:

It hovers over it until the Sea Cobras catch up! :toot:

*Saturating target area with the devastating firepower of a single rear mounted M240

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Cold War thread seems as good a place to ask as any. Could our friendly island neighbor to the south Cuba actually be considered communist in any sort of reality these days or is it just another island dictatorship?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would say they still are but you have to look at communism as a spectrum just as capitalism is on a spectrum.

They are a dictatorship too.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Alaan posted:

Cold War thread seems as good a place to ask as any. Could our friendly island neighbor to the south Cuba actually be considered communist in any sort of reality these days or is it just another island dictatorship?

My understanding is that they're liberalizing, but SLOWWWWWWLY. Like they just recently allowed citizens to open their own small businesses, doing things like house painting or selling knicknacks, in certain industries. Conventional wisdom is that they will eventually be a tropical China, but not until Fidel has passed on, as he tends to quash any reform movements.

Fidel is no longer the official head of state, but he can kill of policies just by speaking out against them, so no one's eager to cross him yet.

Here's a relevant Economist article http://www.economist.com/node/21529043

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
And the US is still imposing a massive embargo for nearly 50 years now.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

LP97S posted:

They're gonna break any day now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011

LP97S posted:

Given that Florida alternates between voting GoP and voting Democrat, no politician wants to alienate the anti-Castro types living in Florida, and push those precious electoral votes to the other party.