Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations for something interesting to do with grits (besides just eating them as grits I mean)?

I've had something like this before several times and liked them, the bland creamy grits go well with spicy foods.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/spicy-low-country-shrimp-and-grits-recipe/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

RazorBunny posted:

Any recommendations for something interesting to do with grits (besides just eating them as grits I mean)?

Cajun fuckin' grits

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Shrimp makes me throw up :(

Maybe I'll just give them to a friend who likes grits, I'm really not that keen on the texture of them. I guess I was hoping for a dish that incorporated them instead of just having them on the side.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

mich posted:

Fair enough on using Shiritaki wish Asian ingredients, though I must strongly discourage using them to make bún thịt nướng, bún bò Huế, phở, hủ tiếu, mì xào dòn, bun rieu, bánh canh, mì Quảng, bánh hỏi, or bánh tằm cà ri.

MICH THIS IS YOUR GRANDMA! WHY DID YOU HACK MY WEBVIEWER? YOU MAKE IT CRASH MICH! I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED IN YOU FOR USING HACKERS TALK TO CRASH MY WEBZONE! PLEASE WRITE OR CALL OR VISIT, I MISS YOU!!!

ps: aren't rice noodles relatively low carb? They seem like they would be since they're just little bundles of fluff compared to the thick girth of a Italian-style noodle.

PPS: I looked them up, turns out they are basically the same as italian pasta. Oh well, sucks to be on a restrictive diet, I guess.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Anyone know a realiable site I can buy matcha powder for a reasonable price? I want to make bubble tea and matcha cookies but only Davids Tea sells it in town and the prices are crazy.
Also trying my hand at cutting carbs a little more. Laaaaaaaame.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 4, 2012

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I moved into a new apartment, and I need some advice on kitchen tools.

Can anyone recommend a decent widely available knife set? I know poo poo-all about knives but I'd like a set that won't fall apart/rust. Or instead of a brand, tell me what to look for in a good knife set?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I wouldn't bother with a set; you're probably only going to want a chef's knife, a paring knife and a boning knife right off the bat anyway. Victorionox seems to be the go-to cheap and decent brand according to the GWS hivemind.

I've only used crappier knives, but I can say without a doubt that the crappiest knife I've ever used was a Kitchenaid, or this weird mysterybrand titanium knife. Flexible santoku = NO WHAT WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

CombatMedic posted:

I moved into a new apartment, and I need some advice on kitchen tools.

Can anyone recommend a decent widely available knife set? I know poo poo-all about knives but I'd like a set that won't fall apart/rust. Or instead of a brand, tell me what to look for in a good knife set?

I work in a knife store, and we tend to recommend the Victorinox brand for beginners as well. Decent knives, chefs seem to love them for the quality to price ratio. The only thing that bothers some customers is the handle. I have Wusthof knives, and I love them, but they are an investment. When you look for knives, know the difference between forged and stamped. We get people all the time telling us that they can find a Henckels set at Walmart for 3/4 the price! Stamped knives are way lower quality than forged. Make sure the handle feels good to you, the weight feels nice, and it doesn't look like total junk. Don't buy Chefmate or OXO knives (although OXO is great for almost everything else).

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I use this Oxo as a paring knife and I love it. Also this bread knife is great.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Drink and Fight posted:

Really? I have only heard bad things, especially about the santoku. I'll check out the bread knife, thanks!

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Drink and Fight posted:

I bought that cheap Henckels bread knife on DnF's recommendation last week or so and it works great. :)

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
What about knives that claim to never need sharpening?

On that note, what would I need to sharpen knives?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

CombatMedic posted:

What about knives that claim to never need sharpening?

On that note, what would I need to sharpen knives?

Knives that claim to never need sharpening (like Miracle Blades) usually are serrated instead of having an actual edge, these knives are garbage. The only knives that should be serrated are your bread knife and maybe a small utility/tomato style knife, but that one isn't really necessary.

Home sharpeners aren't really good for your knives either, you should buy a honing rod which will help your blades keep their edge. It's best to either get your knives professionally sharpened or you could ear how to use a whetstone. You really shouldn't need to sharpen more than once a year.

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Abrasives-Oval-Ceramic-Sharpening/dp/B001GW9FW0/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1328391171&sr=1-3

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

Really? I have only heard bad things, especially about the santoku. I'll check out the bread knife, thanks!

I don't know about any of their other knives, but that paring knife is great. I'm not sure I'd get a Oxo chef's knife though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mach420 posted:

I don't understand most of that post. Guess it's I who should expand my horizons.

Your first post was just funny when you told an Asian to try eating Asian food.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Your first post was just funny when you told an Asian to try eating Asian food.

And now it's even better because it's an Asian telling another Asian to eat try eating Asian food.

I've run into a couple people who have only tried tomato or alfredo sauces with shirataki, which ends up in the uncanny valley of foods.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I searched but can't find it, what happened to that wonderful thread were the goon raised rabbits for meat? Did it fall into the archives? I'm researching to start doing it as well.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Mach420 posted:

And now it's even better because it's an Asian telling another Asian to eat try eating Asian food.

I've run into a couple people who have only tried tomato or alfredo sauces with shirataki, which ends up in the uncanny valley of foods.

Actually, with how the consistency came out from me boiling the shirataki for ten minutes, I'm going to try it with tomato or alfredo sauce next time. Just out of curiosity. Gotta try everything once. :colbert:

It really was surprisingly delicious (after I added some soy sauce this morning to the leftovers).

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*
My garden has tons of turnips coming in. However, every recipe I've tried results in rather bitter turnip greens. And 80% of the recipes I've found begin with, "Add 2 cups of turnip greens and 1 pound bacon...". My wife is a vegetarian, so that won't work.

Sweet goons, do any of you have a tasty way to prepare turnip greens for a vegetarian?

Thank you!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Socratic Moron posted:

My garden has tons of turnips coming in. However, every recipe I've tried results in rather bitter turnip greens. And 80% of the recipes I've found begin with, "Add 2 cups of turnip greens and 1 pound bacon...". My wife is a vegetarian, so that won't work.

Sweet goons, do any of you have a tasty way to prepare turnip greens for a vegetarian?

Thank you!

Would vegan work too?

Start with about 1 kg (2 lbs, I think) of your turnip greens. Chop them into about 2 cm long pieces. Soak them in cold water for about five minutes, to remove the dirt and such. Lightly salt the soaking water, so as to get that last clingy bit of dirt off. Thoroughly drain your greens, and blot lightly with a towel.

Start with a deep~ish skillet, preferably cast iron. If you have a splatter guard, have it ready. If you don't, just get the lid for the skillet ready.

Add about 3 TB of fat (preferably high-heat fat, like Canola or peanut oil). Crank up your heat to high. Add about 2 tsp of white or black mustard seeds (black if you can find them/have them on hand, but white will do in a pinch). When the fat gets hot enough, it will cause the mustard seeds to crack and pop. They will try to get all over your stove, so as soon as you hear the cracking, slam on the splatter guard or lid, and lift the skillet off of the heat for about 30 - 45 seconds. When the popping subsides, put the skillet back on heat, and dump in around 1 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, and 1 TB of sesame seeds. Again, slam on the splatter guard or lid. Wait for about 20 seconds (at the most) and the popping should increase and then subside.

Add about 5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped, 2 medium Spanish or white onions, chopped finely, and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. Sautee the onions and garlic in the fat and spices until they're just softened. When the onions are soft, add the chopped greens, and 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced. Tinned is OK, as long as the ingredients do not contain calcium chloride. You want the tomatoes to break down a bit. I find that the imported brands tend to be just tomatoes and water. Add a splash of vodka, white wine, hard cider, or vermouth. Depending on whichever you have, the flavour will be altered.

Let the greens cook until they're tender. Season with salt and black pepper, and a good squeeze of lime juice. Finish the dish with either chopped basil or cilantro. It'll be lovely and balanced. You'll get the sweetness of tomato and onion, the sourness of the lime, the spices, and the bitterness of the greens. If after cooking, the greens are too bitter, stir through about a scant 1/2 tsp of sugar to round all the flavours out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No idea if I'll get a response in time but its worth a shot. I need to go shopping and wondering what to get to make breakfast. I want something reasonably involved but fairly healthy before I go see a football match and sit in freezing cold snow for 2 hours

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Jose posted:

No idea if I'll get a response in time but its worth a shot. I need to go shopping and wondering what to get to make breakfast. I want something reasonably involved but fairly healthy before I go see a football match and sit in freezing cold snow for 2 hours
Chorizo and eggs. Its delicious and filling.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jose posted:

Steel cut oats and make oatmeal. Not as involved but is great for a cold day and fills you up.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beans and eggs, lots of toast. Black pudding. Combined with all the bovril you're sure to drink, you'll be fine.

And really that's pretty healthy food if you think about it.

sporkupine
Apr 1, 2009

alea iacta est

dino. posted:

Would vegan work too?

Start with about 1 kg (2 lbs, I think) of your turnip greens. Chop them into about 2 cm long pieces. Soak them in cold water for about five minutes, to remove the dirt and such. Lightly salt the soaking water, so as to get that last clingy bit of dirt off. Thoroughly drain your greens, and blot lightly with a towel.

Start with a deep~ish skillet, preferably cast iron. If you have a splatter guard, have it ready. If you don't, just get the lid for the skillet ready.

Add about 3 TB of fat (preferably high-heat fat, like Canola or peanut oil). Crank up your heat to high. Add about 2 tsp of white or black mustard seeds (black if you can find them/have them on hand, but white will do in a pinch). When the fat gets hot enough, it will cause the mustard seeds to crack and pop. They will try to get all over your stove, so as soon as you hear the cracking, slam on the splatter guard or lid, and lift the skillet off of the heat for about 30 - 45 seconds. When the popping subsides, put the skillet back on heat, and dump in around 1 1/2 tsp of cumin seeds, and 1 TB of sesame seeds. Again, slam on the splatter guard or lid. Wait for about 20 seconds (at the most) and the popping should increase and then subside.

Add about 5 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped, 2 medium Spanish or white onions, chopped finely, and 1/2 tsp of turmeric. Sautee the onions and garlic in the fat and spices until they're just softened. When the onions are soft, add the chopped greens, and 3 medium Roma tomatoes, diced. Tinned is OK, as long as the ingredients do not contain calcium chloride. You want the tomatoes to break down a bit. I find that the imported brands tend to be just tomatoes and water. Add a splash of vodka, white wine, hard cider, or vermouth. Depending on whichever you have, the flavour will be altered.

Let the greens cook until they're tender. Season with salt and black pepper, and a good squeeze of lime juice. Finish the dish with either chopped basil or cilantro. It'll be lovely and balanced. You'll get the sweetness of tomato and onion, the sourness of the lime, the spices, and the bitterness of the greens. If after cooking, the greens are too bitter, stir through about a scant 1/2 tsp of sugar to round all the flavours out.

This sounds magical. I need to have it in my stomach as soon as possible. On the off chance that my local lovely grocery store doesn't have turnip greens, what can I substitute?

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*

dino. posted:

Would vegan work too?
YES! Your recipe sounds amazing and I have everything already (including garden tomatoes). I'll try it tonight and report back. Thank you!

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
Can pork tenderloin be used for the infamous goon pulled pork recipe or is shoulder/butt the best way to go?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lackadaisical posted:

Can pork tenderloin be used for the infamous goon pulled pork recipe or is shoulder/butt the best way to go?

It'd be a waste of tenderloin. The whole point of the process is to take a fairly tough hunk of meat and make it tender and delicious through hours of slow heat.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Slow cooked meat recipes rely on breaking down connective tissue to get them moist and delicious.

Pork tenderloin is lean and doesn't have any of that. Use shoulder, it's dirt cheap.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah -- it would just be weird. Boneless shoulders or even "country style ribs" are cheap and easy to make awesome. If you wanted to like, glaze a tenderloin with bbq sauce and grill it and make sandwiches that way, that would be good too, but a completely different kind of thing.

e;f,b

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

Yeah -- it would just be weird. Boneless shoulders or even "country style ribs" are cheap and easy to make awesome. If you wanted to like, glaze a tenderloin with bbq sauce and grill it and make sandwiches that way, that would be good too, but a completely different kind of thing.

e;f,b

What are country-style ribs anyway? I've made them a bunch of times in my slow cooker and they're delicious without fail, but what makes them country-style, and are they even ribs?? (kind of like how a boston butt is, surprisingly, not a butt)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Midniter posted:

What are country-style ribs anyway? I've made them a bunch of times in my slow cooker and they're delicious without fail, but what makes them country-style, and are they even ribs?? (kind of like how a boston butt is, surprisingly, not a butt)

There seems to be 2 kinds of them: the kind I see most often are basically a butt cut into strips (shoulder) and sometimes I see some that are some cut of loin, usually in shorter but wider pieces than the shoulder kind. The shoulder ones are fatty and have several different muscles loosely held together, while the loin ones tend to have just 2 muscles, one surrounded by the other, the inner one usually a much paler color than the outer one.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 5, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

sporkupine posted:

This sounds magical. I need to have it in my stomach as soon as possible. On the off chance that my local lovely grocery store doesn't have turnip greens, what can I substitute?
Absolutely! It would work really well with mustard greens, kale, collard greens, rainbow chard, swiss chard, beet greens, broccoli rabe, dandelion greens, whatever you have! The point is that you've got a mix of flavours that will control the bitterness of the dark leafies, and will still boost the iron you'll get from it (because of the vitamin C in the tomatoes, and the added iron of the sesame seed). It's absolutely a must-have for any kind of Indian meal. Just don't use spinach for this recipe. It's too wimpy. You need a green with some backbone.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

The Midniter posted:

It's the poo poo between the ribs and the chuck, kind of like a club steak, but the other side, and on a pig not a cow.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

zerox147o posted:

* 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 small onion
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 2 tbsp basil
* 1/4 cup vodka
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

Thanks, it turned out very well! It was perfect with lobster ravioli.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm just about to finish up cooking some pulled pork. What can I do with the leftover slow cooker juices and soggy onions? Use it in stew? Chili?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm just about to finish up cooking some pulled pork. What can I do with the leftover slow cooker juices and soggy onions? Use it in stew? Chili?

Discard the onion, make a sauce out of the juices. The recipe on the wiki suggests adding ketchup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and cornstarch to achieve this and it turns out pretty decent.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

dis astranagant posted:

Discard the onion, make a sauce out of the juices. The recipe on the wiki suggests adding ketchup, liquid smoke, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and cornstarch to achieve this and it turns out pretty decent.

Transfer it to a saucepan and reduce it with some extra flavours imo... I always make the carolina red or peach habanero sauces to go with mine though so other people mostly use that sauce.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

dis astranagant posted:

Sounds good - whats the wiki you're looking at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_pork

Short version: Cider vinegar + ketchup + other poo poo = BBQ sauce. The juices from the hunk of pig make for some drat fine "other poo poo"

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 5, 2012