Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

404GoonNotFound posted:

But they adopted, that doesn't answer anything! :eng101:

The elves are like the Arcturians, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
And unless he remarries sometime in the future, he's not going to have a mate to go home to, either, given their divorce.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Wahad posted:

And unless he remarries sometime in the future, he's not going to have a mate to go home to, either, given their divorce.
"I'm going to go win back my husband/wife" would work for similar purposes, but also have similar problems.

I'm kind of reminded of Dwarves from Discworld, honestly. Keeping your gender private seems to be a cultural thing. That, or it's just a complete non-issue.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
S/he has expressed her opinion that it's 'obvious' what gender he is, and that it's unimportant besides. The only person who's ever asked flat out is Belkar, and V finds him a repulsive little goblin.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm pretty sure V's supposed to have been female from the start:
See; http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0123.html

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Affi posted:

I've always interpreted Vaarsuvius saying "As you wish" there to indicate it's not obvious s/he would be sleeping in Haley's room.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Not this poo poo again, jesus christ. No, that comic (or a ton of other comics where various characters believe V to be male/female) does not tell us anything about V's actual gender.

Can we talk about alignments again, instead? I'm hankerin' for a good old-fashioned alignment slapfight. Like, I think Miko is actually Neutral Evil and Belkar is Lawful Neutral what is everyone's opinions on this???

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ashenai posted:

Not this poo poo again, jesus christ. No, that comic (or a ton of other comics where various characters believe V to be male/female) does not tell us anything about V's actual gender.

Can we talk about alignments again, instead? I'm hankerin' for a good old-fashioned alignment slapfight. Like, I think Miko is actually Neutral Evil and Belkar is Lawful Neutral what is everyone's opinions on this???

My opinion is that you are a terrible person.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I feel your pain, Ashenai, but I never had one of these, can I go just a few posts? Please? Pretty please with sugar on top? :ohdear:

(And hey, still better than playing apologetic vs. those guys from the webcomics thread!)

Affi posted:

I don't think that counts, because that comic is after V's gender had been established as a joke.

All right - my money, for what it's worth, is on him having been originally intended as male, for two reasons:

(1) You don't need to be a classical scholar to associate the -us name ending with males.

(2) In #9, Roy calls Vaarsuvius "V-man". That strip was almost certainly written before Rich got the idea of making V's sex a running gag, since (a) there isn't the smallest joke about V and a Girdle of F/M; (b) as soon as the gag started, Roy will be established as not knowing and not holding any definite opinion regarding V's sex (including in the in-universe timeline, via Origin of PCs); (c) it's strip number fuckin' nine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cuchulain posted:

V's gender should be the very last thing in the last panel of the comic.

"Now I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

If this is a Clue reference, you are now my favorite poster for today.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Endless Mike posted:

Even if they count as gifts, you can only have $500 worth of exempted gifts, I believe.

I am not a tax person, but the IRS seems to be saying here that you can received up to $13,000 from someone as a gift in a year. Also that the person giving the gift is the one responsible for any taxes on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I am not a tax person, but the IRS seems to be saying here that you can received up to $13,000 from someone as a gift in a year. Also that the person giving the gift is the one responsible for any taxes on it.
Okay, I may have been wrong but:

quote:

What is considered a gift?
Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return.
Getting books in return for your money means it's not a gift unless you want to argue that what you're getting isn't worth what you're paying.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Think of it like NPR, you aren't paying 120 for a totebag and best of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" cd, it is a gift for donating.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

greatn posted:

Think of it like NPR, you aren't paying 120 for a totebag and best of "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" cd, it is a gift for donating.

NPR's a non-profit organization and the donations are tax-deductible. Pretty sure OOTS isn't a 501(3). And if you donate $120 and get a CD in return, you can't deduct the full $120, you can only deduct the $120 minus the value of what you received in return.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah you're absolutely correct. Tell me why again anyone cares about the tax implications here?

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

(2) In #9, Roy calls Vaarsuvius "V-man". That strip was almost certainly written before Rich got the idea of making V's sex a running gag, since (a) there isn't the smallest joke about V and a Girdle of F/M; (b) as soon as the gag started, Roy will be established as not knowing and not holding any definite opinion regarding V's sex (including in the in-universe timeline, via Origin of PCs); (c) it's strip number fuckin' nine.

That's close but not entirely accurate. I would have to dig up the exact quote from Rich but V's gender became ambiguous after the first 4 or 5 strips. All I remember it was one of the first few strips. It really is impossible to know V's gender.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Tax code discussion is a lot more interesting the alignment debates, but only slightly.

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict

greatn posted:

Yeah you're absolutely correct. Tell me why again anyone cares about the tax implications here?

We're all worried that Rich get busted for tax evasion and that his 15 year prison sentence could have an effect on regular updates.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He probably has an accountant.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rich seems like a smart enough guy to talk to somebody who knows how the hell he's supposed to declare his big heap of money on his tax return for 2012.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Buffer Overflow posted:

We're all worried that Rich get busted for tax evasion and that his 15 year prison sentence could have an effect on regular updates.

Eh, they treat that as a white collar crime. He'll have an internet connection.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Eh, they treat that as a white collar crime. He'll have an internet connection.

And plenty of spare time.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Shugojin posted:

Rich seems like a smart enough guy to talk to somebody who knows how the hell he's supposed to declare his big heap of money on his tax return for 2012.

Next reward level: Accountant & Tax Attorney

Of course, he probably already has one since self-employment is a tax minefield

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Cuchulain posted:

V's gender should be the very last thing in the last panel of the comic.

"Now I'm going to go home and sleep with my wife."

"Also, I'm bi."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
"How I miss our adopted children!"

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Soonmot posted:

If this is a Clue reference, you are now my favorite poster for today.

Do you know another movie that ends with that line? :v:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

:frogsiren:833: Villainy Afoot:frogsiren:

Iny fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 6, 2012

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
New comic! I thought the MOJO broke!

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0833.html

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Literally Sharks posted:

:frogsiren:833: Villainy Afoot:frogsiren:
Is that a reference to a specific module, or is it just pretty generic "phylactery behind a bazillion traps"?

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

MWYAHHHHH!!!
I am kind of disappointed that Redcloak that explained himself without prompting

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Colon V posted:

Is that a reference to a specific module, or is it just pretty generic "phylactery behind a bazillion traps"?

Its clearly a reference to the true villain of the piece, Jirix, and his defeat of the protagonist roaches.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Well done, Redcloak. I'm sure he expected Xykon to stash the thing somewhere else, which means that he won't notice when the spells Redcloak cast on the fake expire.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Colon V posted:

Its the setting for the final dungeon. The party will invade it to finally destroy Xykon. We already know the big reveal, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cuchulain posted:

Its the setting for the final dungeon. The party will invade it to finally destroy Xykon. We already know the big reveal, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Interesting that Xykon was unwilling to admit that he gave half the ritual to her.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

On the one side, yay Redcloak! On the other side, 20th-level Order of the Stick taking on their final dungeon in the Astral Plane would have been a cool endgame.

e: I guess that just because the phylactery isn't actually there doesn't mean the OotS isn't going to attack it. So there's hope!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
If they go there, in which eventuality Xykon of course will be alerted to it and try to stop them, what will Redcloak do? Go along with Xykon's orders and try to stop them, or tell Xykon that it's not worth it?

So... when are we going to see V again?

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 6, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Deftly played by Redcloak there (his little victory grin is priceless). Now both he and Xykon have shifted the blame for their respective attempts to power-play each other on to Tsukiko, meaning Xykon doesn't even want her alive again since there's a chance she'd tell Redcloak about how he wanted her to steal the ritual and work it all out for him.

It was pretty well-written and organic and it didn't seem like Redcloak's responses were highly dependent on certain reactions he couldn't predict in Xykon, which is something to watch for in any dialogue where a character attempts a deception. I don't think Xykon even suspects Redcloak of alternative motive, that little "...No." of his is clearly more about him wanting to cover up his attempt against Redcloak than any suspiscions of his own.

In short, he put Xykon on the defensive so that he was too busy looking for the out that covered his rear end rather than looking for a lie.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

Nenonen posted:

If they go there, in which eventuality Xykon of course will be alerted to it and try to stop them, what will Redcloak do? Go along with Xykon's orders and try to stop them, or tell Xykon that it's not worth it?

I see it coming into play at the very endgame. Team Evil has been defeated at Kragoor's Gate, Redcloack has been killed by a not so controlled Xykon, and the OotS pursue the lich into his last stronghold.

Lots of things happened on this strip. Redcloack is showing some smarts and guts by turning the conversation on Xykon so the he is the one that ends having to explain himself. And what of Jiryx? Is perfectly reasonable that he'll want to kill a demon roach, but could it be indication that he is actually evil? Or at least, evil in a way that Redcloack wouldn't aprove of? I suspect that his respect toward his "Supreme Leader" was only an act until they finally left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

We'll never see that stronghold again. It's a plot device that exists solely to wrap up Redcloak's deception over where the Phylactery actually is.