Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lt. Jebus posted:

NDT will have to be done on the forward pressure dome (not visible in your picture) to see if there is any damage, but everything you see there is easily repairable (albeit expensive to replace the array).

I remember during my killick days, a dockyard matey doing NDT on a newly welded 2" pipe flange I was standing fire sentry on. It took like two hours - I can't imagine how long they'll milk testing a pressure hull made of whatever exotic steel (HY-100 or some poo poo?).

Also it intuitively makes sense that Chicoutimi is in the best shape. She basically has zero miles. Whatever, it's all very complicated and I wish you greasy sous-mariners all the luck in the world. I'm in a position to no longer give a gently caress (although it's real surprising how much "navy" I talk on a regular basis...my old job even called me to ask for help last month!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Lt. Jebus posted:

And that would be?

Subs in dry dock.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Ruse posted:

Subs in dry dock.

well its hard to do all that work underwater

Smoke Crack
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, sure, sure. I know you. You're gonna keep on saying I'm suave and sophisticated, and then when I start to believe it, then you're gonna say how pointy head I have, and how floppy arms I have, and how dull I am, I know you.
I miss Tim Hortons and watching you play hockey guys, why'd you have to leave the party so early? :smith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Smoke Crack posted:

I miss Tim Hortons and watching you play hockey guys, why'd you have to leave the party so early? :smith:

Because we have to pretend it's 1995 again and strip as much money from the CF as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey I just wanted to say that the Canadians over at KAIA were the coolest, chillest folks in theatre. Thanks for letting us hang out in your NSE and drink your near-beer.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep
The American Military: More grateful to the CF than it's own civilian population. A Proud part of our heritage. This heritage moment was brought to you my Tim Hortons.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I don't know, guy. I always got preferential treatment if I had to do some errands before heading home after work. Definitely not as much dick sucking as the US, but still, some.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

My Spirit Otter posted:

I don't know, guy. I always got preferential treatment if I had to do some errands before heading home after work. Definitely not as much dick sucking as the US, but still, some.

Yeah it's gotten better.

Free extra baggage on WestJet with CF ID!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Same with Via Rail's free travel in the summer.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

My Spirit Otter posted:

Same with Via Rail's free travel in the summer.

It's only 50% off these days.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I rode for free this summer though, so is that for 2012 or did it start last year?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

My Spirit Otter posted:

I rode for free this summer though, so is that for 2012 or did it start last year?

It was free Coach or 50% off First Class [Sleeper car]. I don't know if that's changed.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I got off with a warning for speeding a couple of times, that was nice.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

I got off with a warning for speeding a couple of times, that was nice.

I had a cop pull me over one time while I was in uniform to say he used to be in the army. The only thing I could think of was that there must have been a speed trap ahead, but he was the only cop.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Strong. Proud. Safe.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 6, 2012

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

You're out of dress.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Haircut.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Haircut.

My hair is perfectly fine. Also, check out the undeniable effectiveness of my dress.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 7, 2012

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Your dress is too much for these poor tables to handle.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Being in the army gets me laid on Canada Day and Remembrance Day. Also whenever I go back home to Ottawa. So there's that.

I leave for Yellowknife to day. God I hope I don't freeze to death.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Samu posted:

Being in the army gets me laid on Canada Day and Remembrance Day. Also whenever I go back home to Ottawa. So there's that.

I leave for Yellowknife to day. God I hope I don't freeze to death.

If you can't get laid in Ottawa you should kill yourself. This applies to all men, gay or straight.

tuyop posted:

My hair is perfectly fine. Also, check out the undeniable effectiveness of my dress.

I would follow this man into hell. Or the Arena in Tron.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Flanker posted:

If you can't get laid in Ottawa you should kill yourself. This applies to all men, gay or straight.

Same can be said for Kingston as well.

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Those are cops. gently caress the police.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Word was passed down our Cambrian Patrol team got sacrificed on the altar of budget cuts. Not going to lie, it's pretty disappointing. We'll put the memo in again for next year.

Being a militia bum isn't paying the bills like it use to, either. These economic doldrums are finally catching up with me and I'm looking at other jobs now. Any of you former infanteers or whoever have good tips for writing your C.V.?

I worry I'll have to release. I don't want to, but...

Barrakketh fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 13, 2012

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 16, 2017

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

stevobob posted:

Remuster to signals!

Or ATIS. I'm very upset with the situation, but spec pay will be nice when all the infantry battalions are assembling and disassembling the C6 SF and doing locker security all day because of budget cuts.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

I can answer any general questions concerning the ATIS trade.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110630/afghanistan-kandahar-brain-injuires-ptsd-110705.html

Article about one of the staff from Meaford. If you were in Meaford from 2007+ you probably remember this guy. This also explains a lot about why he was such an rear end in a top hat. He use to throw dress shirts into fans, parade boots into walls or carve his initials into parade boots. He boot hosed quite my locker one day cause he was so pissed.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Fraser CDN posted:

http://m.ctv.ca/topstories/20110630/afghanistan-kandahar-brain-injuires-ptsd-110705.html

Article about one of the staff from Meaford. If you were in Meaford from 2007+ you probably remember this guy. This also explains a lot about why he was such an rear end in a top hat. He use to throw dress shirts into fans, parade boots into walls or carve his initials into parade boots. He boot hosed quite my locker one day cause he was so pissed.

I was overseas with this guy. Crazy in the best ways!

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Fraser CDN posted:

I've heard some other stories that tell me he wasn't quite on the level, but the behaviour you just described is what should happen in Meaford. Two reasons: 1) Because like all bitter crusty fucks, I remember my training being harder than it probably was and therefore everyone else down the line should suffer and B) gently caress Meaford anyways.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mdivi posted:

I can answer any general questions concerning the ATIS trade.

Awesome, how long did you wait for training? Where? What was your life like while awaiting? How was posting? What do you day-to-day now that you're trained? What were your staff like throughout? How was poet? What was the lifestyle like on course?

I have many more questions.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

tuyop posted:

Awesome, how long did you wait for training?
I finished BMQ Sept 2009 and was on POET two weeks later. After POET, I waited 2.5 months to be loaded onto my QL3s

tuyop posted:

Where? What was your life like while awaiting?
POET and QL3 courses take place in CFB Kingston, at CFSCE. Life while awaiting training consists of getting yelled at, doing random tasks to keep you busy, and being bored. If you ask for things and aren't an idiot, however, you can generally find a good permanent tasking

tuyop posted:

How was posting?
After you complete POET and QL3, the career manager sends you to a Wing (Comox, Cold Lake, Bagotville, Winnipeg, Trenton, Shearwater, Greenwood, Northbay), normally, to do your QL4s (a large package covering all aspects of ATIS Techs) and learn the basics of our trade

tuyop posted:

What do you day-to-day now that you're trained?
It depends on where you're placed when you arrive at your wing. At a wing, there's about 5 sections, each completely different with many, many different courses. The sections are basically: Radar, Telephony, Computers, Networks, A/V Equipment.

Day to day depends on where you are placed. Radar guys do daily, weekly, and monthly inspections, and then sit around until something breaks.
Telephony works with the phone lines, obviously. Lots of TELECOMM room usage for these guys. Computer guys generally ghost computers all day while fixing simple computer/device related problems. Network guys have all the administrative rights of the base, and AV guys set up all the base presentations.

tuyop posted:

What were your staff like throughout?
Hit and miss, but there were a lot of decent instructors throughout the training in Kingston, and a lot of them genuinely cared about the troops. Keep in mind, however, that its Kingston, and although we're airforce, our training doesn't take place on an airforce base, unfortunately.

tuyop posted:

How was poet?
Long days, short weeks. They poured information down our throats all day from 7-3, and then we had to deal with regular army stuff before, inbetween, and after those hours.

tuyop posted:

What was the lifestyle like on course?
Every course has its own personality. Our course was very young, and Kingston is a really excellent party town, and we took great advantage of that. Lots of drinking and partying took place with many university girls.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
So, gents, how's the artic?

I mean, obviously I'm asking the officers in the room, since they'll be the ones putting their feet up and getting computer access, and naturally the life of an officer is ice cream and blow jobs compared to the dudes when in the field, but the question stands anyways.

You guys actually doing anything remotely interesting, or is it just no-ammo-foot-patrols-because-that's-cheap?

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
My brother sent me a message a few days ago. He is with the LDSH in the LAV's on their way up there. To sum up his text's:

Its loving cold, -40 average and -20 is a warm day
Im bored
Were on the ice roads tomorrow so I hope I dont die

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

My brother sent me a message a few days ago. He is with the LDSH in the LAV's on their way up there. To sum up his text's:

Its loving cold, -40 average and -20 is a warm day
Im bored
Were on the ice roads tomorrow so I hope I dont die

Ask how many times they had to call recovery, please

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
Was +6 yesterday.

:love: Halifax

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
I start my PLQ residency tonight. I did the online horeshit over a year ago, so I am right the gently caress out of her. Should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

Flanker posted:

I start my PLQ residency tonight. I did the online horeshit over a year ago, so I am right the gently caress out of her. Should be interesting.

I did the online portion last spring but ended up not able to go on the residency. I thought you had to do the residency within 6 months of the online otherwise you have to redo it? (which means in my case I have to do it all over again...). Pretty annoying considering I've already done Mods 2-5 back when they were classroom sessions.