Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Thank you all for the get well wishes :) My legal council suggests I STFU about any details for now, I'll let you know how it turns out when all is said and done.

Deleting any quotes of me would be appreciated too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Hey Becktastic, may you recover with unnatural speed and grace!

On a lighter note, after much steeling of resolve and nerve, I got back in the saddle and didn't crash. Quite the exhilirating feeling that.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
This just unfolded down the street from my house today :(

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/2-motorcycles-collide-with-semi-catch-fire-in-new-richmond

quote:

NEW RICHMOND, Ohio - Two people are dead and two others are injured following a fiery crash involving three motorcycles and a cement truck in New Richmond Tuesday afternoon.

The crash happened at Adamson Road and U.S. 52 just before 2:30 p.m.

A witness tells 9 News she was behind the three motorcycles where the road narrows from four lanes to two when one of the bikes went left of center and struck the cement truck head-on. The truck then lost control and crashed into the other two motorcycles.

Two of the motorcyclists were pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. The other victim, described as a man in his 50s, was transported to the hospital by a medical helicopter with burns.

The truck ended up on its side. The driver was transported to Clermont Mercy Hospital.

No names have been released.

U.S. 52 remains shut down in both directions.

No other information has been released at this time.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

dietcokefiend posted:

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/2-motorcycles-collide-with-semi-catch-fire-in-new-richmond

Ugh, that's loving horrific.

Big vehicles give me the shits sometimes. Some months back I (fortuitously) hesitated at a junction one morning and a dumptruck breezed through at the speed limit, close enough for me to see the whites in the glazed eyes of the driver.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
hosed up...I ride that bit once or twice a year, I like the other side of the river better.

Sounds like a weird accident, will be interested to get more info. My first thought was AFJ but that's a bit too far south for them.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 31, 2012

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

ReelBigLizard posted:

Big vehicles give me the shits sometimes. Some months back I (fortuitously) hesitated at a junction one morning and a dumptruck breezed through at the speed limit, close enough for me to see the whites in the glazed eyes of the driver.

Intermodal trucks in particular scare the poo poo out of me

Ninja.Bob
Mar 31, 2005
Just had a car push me off the road. Turning left at a T-junction (Australia) and stopped at the stop sign. The car behind me tried to roll through and collected the exhaust of my bike between the fender and door of her car. My bike is fine apart from a some more scratches on the exhaust, a bent gear level and a couple of the fins that protruded from the engines sump have been snapped off, I think from it hitting the kerb. I think they are only there to protect the oil filter and drain plug so it should be fine but I just want an opinion before letting the other driver know that everything is okay.

Red circles are broken fins, blue is what they looked like. There is no oil leaking or cracks so I think it would be fine.

My right shoulder is a bit sore from trying to catch the bike and stop it from falling, but nothing serious (my wife is a physio). I can straighten the gear lever myself, so all in all a $0 cost accident.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ReelBigLizard posted:

As a motorcycle rider, I call myself extra lucky that I got a HC Lisence (Heavy Combination in Australia, basically being able to drive things like this) before I got my motorcycle license.

After driving a B-Double for a even the 6 months that I did, I can predict what they'll do 90% of the time which helps avoid accidents ALOT because as a B-Double driver I know that they're going to take the slimmest of openings possible to save waiting, and hence falling behind schedule, at any chance they can.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ninja.Bob posted:

Just had a car push me off the road.

At least charge for the new parts. Looks like it would be painless to do the swaps yourself.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Hey gently caress you, this thread! And gently caress LA drivers (actually a Texas transplant that's been here a week)!

Just went down on Cahuenga in Hollywood earlier today when I tried to avoid some loving asshat attempting an unsignaled left turn from the right lane. I just changed my front tire yesterday, that might have had a little to do with it, but I've put about 15 miles on it already and I think I just grabbed too much. Washed out the front, missed the fucker but laid down on the right side, and the bike slid just under the front of an oncoming Cherokee that slowed down enough to not kill me. He apparently ran over one of my arms (according to bystanders) but there's nothing to indicate as such.

Didn't contact the truck that I was avoiding, which might gently caress with insurance proceedings, but at least everyone stopped and I was looked over by EMTs, and a police report was taken. Waiting on my insurance in the morning.

From what I can see, the real damage is pretty much the handlebars, radiator and headlights. There's a couple dents in the tank where both handlebars hit it (right side mount rotated back when the bike came down, I guess the left side broke off when it hit the Cherokee). Rear brake lever's tip busted off. Hydraulic clutch and front brake reservoirs were both trashed so I've got DOT5 all over the controls and front end. I think I left most of the coolant in the street. The bike either shut off during the crash or someone else turned it off right after. Right side frame slider broke off, but the exhaust and front end took the slide.

Getting it onto the flatbed without one of the front wheel dollies and without any brakes/steering control was a bitch, as was getting it off. Left it at work so I'll have some room to tear it apart.

I've got good coverage, aside from collision. I figure if the guy I swerved to avoid isn't found liable at all, I'll just piece it back together and use this as an excuse to get some higher bars. The Cherokee should by all accounts be covered by my liability, but I guess we'll see how it all plays out.

I wasn't terribly banged up. My left thigh is pretty sore, as well as my left wrist. Tourmaster jacket held up remarkably well, as well as the Scorpion pants (this is their second trip to the asphalt, in fact).

Also got like half a dozen different personal injury rec's from random passerby. Hollywood. :psyduck:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 6, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm convinced that the entirety of southern California is one gigantic machine created by The Man to terrify and eventually destroy every person on its concrete wastelands-- one car, pedestrian, bicyclist, and motorcyclist at a time

Glad you're okay dude. Hollywood is no joke. Driving in my car there makes me nervous.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saw a lady on a cruiser get slammed while splitting out into a yellow light... I don't know how the person coming was able to get such a high rate of speed with the traffic and the light having just changed. Anyways, called 911 and shut off her bike and directed traffic around the crash while some other people calmed her down until paramedics showed up.

I guess it wasn't technically her fault, but poo poo.. Westlake has to be the WORST place to drive in LA, possibly even worse than hollywood by a slim margin. I know first hand, having commuted on my DRZ through there for about 8 months. Could've easily been me... Except, not really, because I'm always oppressively careful.

For reference, this was near 8th street and Alvarado in Los Angeles.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

soy posted:

Saw a lady on a cruiser get slammed while splitting out into a yellow light... I don't know how the person coming was able to get such a high rate of speed with the traffic and the light having just changed. Anyways, called 911 and shut off her bike and directed traffic around the crash while some other people calmed her down until paramedics showed up.

I guess it wasn't technically her fault, but poo poo.. Westlake has to be the WORST place to drive in LA, possibly even worse than hollywood by a slim margin. I know first hand, having commuted on my DRZ through there for about 8 months. Could've easily been me... Except, not really, because I'm always oppressively careful.

For reference, this was near 8th street and Alvarado in Los Angeles.

Betting they jumped the light. See the Crossstreet turn yellow? Gun it, nothing bad will ever come of this!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
How badly was she hurt?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, the Tahoe's (the guy I avoided) insurance is accepting all liability, and I'll be getting a rental while the SV is being repaired. Just gotta get it over to the shop. :toot:

That's gotta be the fastest turn around I've had. My stolen car claim was resolved in about a week, the last moto crash was about the same. I gave a statement to all three companies involved, mine and the guy I hit were on my side from the sound of it, and the last company called back accepting liability within about 45 minutes of my statement to them.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

sirbeefalot posted:

Welp, the Tahoe's (the guy I avoided) insurance is accepting all liability, and I'll be getting a rental while the SV is being repaired. Just gotta get it over to the shop. :toot:

That's gotta be the fastest turn around I've had. My stolen car claim was resolved in about a week, the last moto crash was about the same. I gave a statement to all three companies involved, mine and the guy I hit were on my side from the sound of it, and the last company called back accepting liability within about 45 minutes of my statement to them.

Wow, that's incredible. I had a very similar accident and the person who I avoided wasn't even reachable for a week, and even after giving their statement their insurance wouldn't accept responsibility until after the police report (which completely exonerated me) came in a week later.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

dietcokefiend posted:

For a bit of :smith:

Ride safe folks, heard second hand from the woman in the van behind that the guy likely just target fixated into the truck and then a mess of poo poo happened afterwards. It helps me to remember the fundamentals and appreciate every return from a ride.

And for lurkers, again, take the drat MSF.

edit: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but I currently have a friend who wants to ride and is avoiding doing the class at all costs because he thinks he has the confidence and skills already...I just don't want him to be the next story :(

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 9, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ugh :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

edit: I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but I currently have a friend who wants to ride and is avoiding doing the class at all costs because he thinks he has the confidence and skills already...I just don't want him to be the next story :(

Re-entry riders are at almost the same level of risk as the 18 year olds on a supersport :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Jesus loving christ people, stop doing this. :( Stop being idiots, please.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Man, I wonder just what it's like to be a 18 year old on a SuperSport.

I'm turning 28 in two weeks. So old.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
It's probably loving amazing for about a month before your terrible crash.

Actually, I know three 18 year old dudes that got supersports (one got a 1000 GSXR :hurr: ) this year and promptly crashed them. I should ask.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

the walkin dude posted:

Man, I wonder just what it's like to be a 18 year old on a SuperSport.

I'm turning 28 in two weeks. So old.

I bought my 1989 GSX-R 750 when I was 20. Not technically a super sport but still capable of 200 KPH+ speeds, and sub 4 second 0-100 KPH. It was fast, and I didn't kill myself. From my own experiences though, I'd try and make sure my future children don't get sport bikes until they're well mature. I definitely got lucky a few times.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
18 years old nothing. How about 14 year olds on supersports?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

-Inu- posted:

18 years old nothing. How about 14 year olds on supersports?

My nephews first "street bike" was one of the Buell XB12's (I think that's it?) he got it the day he turned 16. It's fully farkled out, has a custom dyno-tune, pipe, suspension and possibly cams. The kid's been riding since he was 5 though and he's probably one of the fastest riders I know. I really expected him to get hurt when he got the bike.

Imagine my surprise when my uncle wrecked his Buell (same model but belonging to my uncle) and ended up being lifted out by helicopter after pretty much falling off a mountain. I've talked with them both several times since then and one thing is glaringly obvious. My uncle is absolutely insane, while somehow my cousin seems to be a conservative safe rider. This is more evident by the fact that my uncle just broke his coccyx on a dirt bike doing wheelies. My cousin can be heard on a video that was taken telling him to be more careful right before he loops his new KTM.

I think some people are just born to do stupid poo poo, how they make it to 43 with 4 kids and not pass on their insanity is beyond me.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It's less of matter of skill and more of self control. I for one drove reckless 100% of the time at those ages in a series of slow cars. On a bike I would've been 10/10s on my way to school. No regard at all.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Same here with cars.

I find myself more reckless on/in lower horsepower machines. I drive like a maniac in my n/a Volvo 240 and I'm pretty cautious on my sv650. I'm pretty sure if I had a supersport I'd be slower than on my SV. :downs:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Xovaan posted:

Same here with cars.

I find myself more reckless on/in lower horsepower machines. I drive like a maniac in my n/a Volvo 240 and I'm pretty cautious on my sv650. I'm pretty sure if I had a supersport I'd be slower than on my SV. :downs:

I don't drive my slow car like a dick because I'm afraid it will blow up (83 supra) but I definitely pin the throttle on the WR250 many times during my commute.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Yup. First car at age 16 was a CVCC Hondamatic Accord. I still drove like an rear end in a top hat occasionally. However, the only damage I did to it was bend a wheel after hitting ice and then a curb at like 20 MPH. Its utter slowness probably saved me from getting into trouble a few times. 15 years later and I've yet to crash a car. Odd that my first wreck would be on a 49cc scooter at the age of 30. Stupid gravel.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I'm guilty of this too,

I used to do crazy speeds up the old pacific hwy on my ZZR250, but am a lot more tame on my Daytona, I used to crash my ZZR250 every couple of weeks too... maybe it's that I'm 25 now rather than a 19 year old with his first bike. or maybe I'm just too scared of the 675

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My first car was an 86 Fiero and I drove it like a dong every day of the week. So many times I should have been dead, but somehow got out of it since the car was so tiny.

On my bike I ride like a grandma, it pisses my friends off to no end when they want to do 120 down the highway and Im just chugging along at 70 in the slow lane.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I just ride a magical 60mph wherever I go, highway, boring interstate road, tight twisties, it's all 60mph. That's kind of an exaggeration but in reality I just ride the speed limit everywhere (I'm one of the slower vehicles on the highway, I'm never in a rush) and I only really gun it in fun turns. Then when the road straightens out after the turn, I mellow out again. Think the exact opposite of what a Harley does.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I ride like a grandma who rides like a dong, which is to say breaking almost every traffic law except the speed limit.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I stick fastidiously to the speed limit everywhere I go, including hi-lar-ious sudden braking/accelerating up/down to whatever the sign I'm passing says. Discovered quite early on that some of the corners are borderline whether you can actually make it round without going less than the limit.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I just ride a magical 60mph wherever I go, highway, boring interstate road, tight twisties, it's all 60mph. That's kind of an exaggeration but in reality I just ride the speed limit everywhere (I'm one of the slower vehicles on the highway, I'm never in a rush) and I only really gun it in fun turns. Then when the road straightens out after the turn, I mellow out again. Think the exact opposite of what a Harley does.

I always ride like this, but at first I thought it was because I was limited in top speed by my Enfield (top speed, according to the manual, is 70mph, I've gotten it up to 85...once, downhill, with a tailwind etc). Then I rode around for a week on my friend's CB400TII, and I was exactly the same.

60mph (or the speed limit) is...nice. Comfortable. Corners are 35mph are more fun than straight lines at 70.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I ride 5-10 over everywhere. Cars passing me freaks me the gently caress out, and if I'm passing everyone I don't have to worry so much about someone running up behind me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've always figured it safer to lane split up to a light, look for runners, and take off to keep you away from traffic patterns. I pass people all the time because it's one less car to worry about

Of course it's easy to do this when you live in Santa Cruz and the average speed of vehicles is 10 miles under the speed limit for some ungodly reason

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

invision posted:

I ride 5-10 over everywhere. Cars passing me freaks me the gently caress out, and if I'm passing everyone I don't have to worry so much about someone running up behind me.

I've been wanting to bicycle to work but this is why I haven't. Compared to a motorcycle where you're not only geared up but have enough power to take control of most situations, on a bicycle you're completely at the mercy of cars. So if some retard is on the phone and starts drifting toward the curb, you're going to get hosed without even seeing them coming.

As for lane splitting, I only do it on the highway. Splitting up to lights in a state where it isn't legal is asking for a ticket because often cops like to sit in the center grass median there. It's not like you're losing much time or anything either, so risk/reward and all that.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On my bike I ride like a grandma, it pisses my friends off to no end when they want to do 120 down the highway and Im just chugging along at 70 in the slow lane.

Yeah, I get that too.

I was riding back to Sydney from Brisbane which is a 12 hour journey, not even an hour into it they he took off and left me because I wasn't speeding, wouldn't even stop off anywhere long enough for me to catch up with him. "gently caress theperminator, he rides too slow"

I was glad the bike made it without breaking down, I would've been screwed since I only had enough cash for fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

invision posted:

It's better to have traffic behind you instead of in front AND behind you. Staying with the pack on a highway is pretty dangerous because then you're playing traffic wack-a-mole. (ps you're the mole)

also don't forget about creating your own safety zone! Cars have crumple zones, you have thin air. use your acceleration to create space on all four corners so that you'll have some time if (when) some doofus tries to run you over.

Gnaghi posted:

As for lane splitting, I only do it on the highway.

You're Russian?!?

• Locked thread