Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

I certainly think I have a bit more respect for NASCAR now. Having seen cars like this:

doing things like this:

on the hill at Goodwood, I can imagine a grid full of them must sound absolutely incredible, if nothing else. I think a trip to a NASCAR event might now have a place on my bucket list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I liked that Le Blanc knew the rollcage would stiffen up the car.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VolumeOverTalent posted:

I certainly think I have a bit more respect for NASCAR now. Having seen cars like this:

doing things like this:

on the hill at Goodwood, I can imagine a grid full of them must sound absolutely incredible, if nothing else. I think a trip to a NASCAR event might now have a place on my bucket list.

The sound is insane. I live near a small track where the lower-level NASCAR series run (700-750HP) and it is insanely fun to watch and listen to.

Very impressed with Tonight's episode. LeBlanc's lap looked VERY smooth as well..pretty drat good driver.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

but the main theme of the show is actually exploring class differences, which is a big part of why it never took in in America.

What are you even basing any of this on?

It is absolutely not about "exploring class differences" and the reasons it doesn't work in America are many and have nothing to do with class.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Holy poo poo the ending of this episode had me in tears! Ahahaha I won't ruin the surprise but it's fantastic.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Chinese stig is the best stig cousin to date :china:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

sigtrap posted:

What are you even basing any of this on?

It is absolutely not about "exploring class differences" and the reasons it doesn't work in America are many and have nothing to do with class.

What doesn't work in America, Top Gear, or do you mean the dynamic of Top Gear USA?
I'd be interested in hearing some of the stuff that doesn't work too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All I could think during the SIARPC was "Geez, that means this article exists".

Which is the world's least interesting thought for anyone more observant than me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone else feel like Matt LeBlanc didn't want to be there or seemed disinterested? What he was saying sounded like he was interested, but he delivered it like he didn't care. I will say it was one of the few SIARPC I was actually interested in. I thought it was just because I only like the American guests. But then that guy in that Fergie band was on and it was just boring.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Great episode! Cars were great, LeBlanc looked really jet-lagged or something, China piece was fun. And I didn't know that those NASCAR cars had no fancy electronic aids or telemetry or anything, which contrasts starkly with F1. Apparently the next episode won't be as car-centric, which is fine with me. I do appreciate the team mixing it up.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My only problem with the Chinese piece is that it wasn't long enough or in depth enough.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
NASCAR races are great to watch. They're like the Top Fuel dragster little brother races, the cars are extremely loud and you can feel them coming by. They also come flying by every 30 seconds or so and are really cool to see in person vs. a panning tv, especially while drunk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

sbaldrick posted:

My only problem with the Chinese piece is that it wasn't long enough or in depth enough.

It probably could have been a mini special where they all go around looking at what China has to offer. But they probably realized that would be incredibly boring (there's no super cars, and there's no cheap car challenge) and made it a segment instead.

Though I guess they could do a cheap car challenge. You get a few thousand pounds, and you have to buy a new car and they see which one lasts the longest.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Anyone else feel like Matt LeBlanc didn't want to be there or seemed disinterested? What he was saying sounded like he was interested, but he delivered it like he didn't care. I will say it was one of the few SIARPC I was actually interested in. I thought it was just because I only like the American guests. But then that guy in that Fergie band was on and it was just boring.

I heard him interviewed on a US radio show and he sounded even less interested. Just the way he is I guess.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Cojawfee posted:

It probably could have been a mini special where they all go around looking at what China has to offer. But they probably realized that would be incredibly boring (there's no super cars, and there's no cheap car challenge) and made it a segment instead.

Though I guess they could do a cheap car challenge. You get a few thousand pounds, and you have to buy a new car and they see which one lasts the longest.

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed they didn't do more travelogue stuff. Though I suppose getting permission to do handbrake turns at the summer palace is tricky.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

You think they would have at least compared those Chinese copies to their Western counterparts. My guess was that they were also somewhat hampered by the state in their coverage.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Ganon posted:

I heard him interviewed on a US radio show and he sounded even less interested. Just the way he is I guess.

He was probably drunk.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

He was probably drunk.

Probably hung over.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

What the gently caress was up with the random numbers and letters the Chinese named their cars?

Overall a good episode, the NASCAR bit was actually quite cool, the Mercedes was ridiculous, the Chinese Reliant was amazing and I never would've guessed LeBlanc was a bit of a petrolhead. Looked like he hadn't slept for 48 hours, though.

Also (although without citations) the Wiki tells me that Ryan Reynolds is going to be this week's guest, I don't really know about that.

jediguy
Apr 19, 2002

The ending was hilarious and, god, that SLS roadster...

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
The Chinese sure love their Audi's don't they? I liked the contrast in this shot.

Basically the whole "XF 150 ZK-4" review had me in tears.

Also, Matt LeBlanc was very funny and a great driver.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Mister Kingdom posted:

But would Clarkson buy an American muscle car?

e: I don't consider the Ford GT a muscle car.

He loves the Merc SLS, which if the rumors are to believed was SUPPOSED to be the the 3rd gen Viper, but Daimler couldn't let Dodge have a car that was better than one made with superior GERMAN engineering, so they killed it and stole the platform.

I know, its a stretch, but even Clarkson himself compared it to an American Muscle car.

Hell, if you pay attention, even May has redneck tendencies..On the american special while they are trashing Jeremy's car, he makes a comment that makes you think he actually liked third gen F-Bodies.

Oh and now an American is the fastest on the TG boards...:fsmug:

Wonder how quickly they are going to get Jay Kay back?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

angryhampster posted:

Very impressed with Tonight's episode. LeBlanc's lap looked VERY smooth as well..pretty drat good driver.
So much so it wouldn't surprise me if a few race teams come knocking on his door. I'd even bet money on it.

I'd love to see a segment/episode around getting in a bunch of the top-tier celebrities in and running them against a retired/semi-retired pro or two as ringers. I hear Rubens Barrichello has some free time on his hands these days...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rated PG-34 posted:

You think they would have at least compared those Chinese copies to their Western counterparts. My guess was that they were also somewhat hampered by the state in their coverage.

That was my guess too, don't bad mouth our cars too much. Still I wanted to seem them drive the crazy mini thing.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I was really happy it didnt turn out to be a 'shooting fish in a barrel' NASCAR segment. There's enough of that shite from people on this side of the pond who have never watched a single race. I'm guessing someone in Top Gear is a NASCAR fan because it did a lot more than just scratch the surface and was quite a bit more in depth than what i was expecting. Kudos, guys. Also gently caress you Clarkson.

I'm still laughing from the very end of the show, that was a top class moment of comedy.

BookaT
May 29, 2003

I'm not a big NASCAR fan but the TGUK put together a really good piece on it. I thought it was really well done not only for the English, but for American fans to watch as well.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
It actually managed to make NASCAR seem kind of...fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

rawrr posted:

It actually managed to make NASCAR seem kind of...fun.

The Montage helped with that I think, also not showing 1 million laps.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Pretty solid episode. I actually liked LeBlanc. Chill dude, good driver. Chinese stig = best stig. (well african stig owns too)

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Mighty Horse posted:

He loves the Merc SLS, which if the rumors are to believed was SUPPOSED to be the the 3rd gen Viper, but Daimler couldn't let Dodge have a car that was better than one made with superior GERMAN engineering, so they killed it and stole the platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Speaking of the Viper, I was disappointed by the huge Viper "reveal" quoted in the news section that ended up being some white lines on a black background. Very anti-climactic.

I like the SLS, but I kind of agree with TGUS in that the back just sort of "runs out of rear end." The rest of the car looks great and oh god the sound of that engine is awesome.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Wow, I would LOVE a "Chinese Car Challenge". Like, they're given a list of cars and told to pick one for a challenge, and then they are given the Chinese version of the car. There's gotta be a way to do that.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Crankit posted:

What doesn't work in America, Top Gear, or do you mean the dynamic of Top Gear USA?

I was referring to making a Top Gear USA that is more similar to the UK original. One difference right up front is the fact that the networks in the states are ad-revenue supported, so from what I understand a lot of your flexibility for saying "The new Chevrolet _____ is a complete pile of poo poo" goes out the window. Even though it's LEGAL to say that (within reason) GM still has their lawyers on the phone in nothing flat, threatening to pull all their advertising (and that of their corporate holdings). So, if you don't have complete freedom to 'tell it like it is' then you're stuck having to be positive about almost everything.

That said, I haven't seen much TG:USA. The point is, saying that the main theme to TG is "exploring class differences" is ridiculous. Some of the humor might indirectly spring from that, but suggesting that, in essence, they all sat around a board room table at the BBC and said "You know what we need? A show about class differences. We can use automobiles as a metaphor!" is silly.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Palpatine MD posted:

The Chinese sure love their Audi's don't they?

Yeah IIRC the A6 is basically the official government car--kinda like the crown vic in the states.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

All the Chinese cars with the ridiculously long name badges (i.e. ZK4-145CXFR 400FXB) looked like they were using the same font, namely the trunklid letters from VWs between like 1999 and 2006. Like they had an enormous container shipload of those letters and numbers and just passed them out to all the domestic carmakers to get rid of however they felt like.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I work at a bike shop where we see a lot of Chinese motor scooters in for service, and the thought of cars made in that mold terrifies and despairs me. They are universally horrible and I pity their owners.

Another guy at the shop spent some time in central/south america, and tells the story that he saw in action down there a segment of the Chinese motor industry. He would say that if you've got X number of dollars, something in the few tens of thousands, you can hook yourself up with an east Asian supplier and just tell them "I want a shipping container full of Harleys" and they'll just send you one. Who knows how they make it, but it'll be a copy of a Sportster or whatever. Right off the bat when you open up your shipping container of Harleys, 30% of them won't work, 30% of them will never work, and you can sell the rest locally and still make a profit.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Solid episode but the SLS review annoyed me. The "they just don't make them like this anymore in this horrible eco friendly world" schick has been going on for 5+ years now and...they still make them like that.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Data Graham posted:

All the Chinese cars with the ridiculously long name badges (i.e. ZK4-145CXFR 400FXB) looked like they were using the same font, namely the trunklid letters from VWs between like 1999 and 2006. Like they had an enormous container shipload of those letters and numbers and just passed them out to all the domestic carmakers to get rid of however they felt like.

Haha, yeah, and there's incentives for using as many as possible.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I work at a bike shop where we see a lot of Chinese motor scooters in for service, and the thought of cars made in that mold terrifies and despairs me. They are universally horrible and I pity their owners.

Another guy at the shop spent some time in central/south america, and tells the story that he saw in action down there a segment of the Chinese motor industry. He would say that if you've got X number of dollars, something in the few tens of thousands, you can hook yourself up with an east Asian supplier and just tell them "I want a shipping container full of Harleys" and they'll just send you one. Who knows how they make it, but it'll be a copy of a Sportster or whatever. Right off the bat when you open up your shipping container of Harleys, 30% of them won't work, 30% of them will never work, and you can sell the rest locally and still make a profit.

drat.

I think it sucks that the price disparity between China and whoever consumes their poo poo is so great that this poo poo flies, as it is obviously not very optimal from a resource point-of-view. Maybe if things weren't so dirt cheap we'd take a little bit more care of them, and actually expect them to work instead of just tossing them because it's not worth the hassle to do anything else. I recently bought a tarp for the equivalent of one (1) US Dollar. That includes 25% VAT, profit, pay for the dude selling it to me, and it was made, sown, packaged, stuffed into a container, shipped from China to Europe and trucked the rest of the way. That's not really sustainable.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

I got a laugh when they introduced Hammond as the pace car driver to... a couple claps. I keep forgetting that outside of our little community on the internet and their 6 min segment on 60 minutes almost two years ago they are virtually unknown over here.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Killbot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. Speaking of the Viper, I was disappointed by the huge Viper "reveal" quoted in the news section that ended up being some white lines on a black background. Very anti-climactic.

I like the SLS, but I kind of agree with TGUS in that the back just sort of "runs out of rear end." The rest of the car looks great and oh god the sound of that engine is awesome.
I never really liked the way the uh, C pillar (?) comes down, it reminds me of the original Viper's where it seems a bit too upright. Getting rid of the roof entirely got around that at least, and I guess the lack of rear end seemed less noticeable too.

As for the review it was what I expected, he said similar stuff about the regular SLS in the America episode didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The UK is a society shaped by class differences in many ways so their television shows have elements of it. It's a source for great jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvOBxZdOYg