Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Uh.

Is it DSL, and do you have proper filters installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Factory Factory posted:

Uh.

Is it DSL, and do you have proper filters installed?

ASDL, I've already tried replacing the filters, didn't help.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Do you have a ping tool on the router (say, if it's running DD-WRT or something)? You could try running a continuous ping to see if the router is losing connection as well as the computer. Or you could watch the router to see if it's rebooting for any reason when you get a call.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Mac question.

So my work gave me a loaner macbook because the one they ordered for me hadn't arrived by my first day. They are essentially the exact same model, except that the new one will be an i7 2.4 whereas the one I have now is an i7 2.2ghz... and I think the new one has the high res display, not sure about this one.

Will i just be able to swap the HDD's and keep rolling on the new one, or will drivers end up being an issue? I've got the older one pretty stuffed (VMware, a ton of adobe products, office est..) and I'd love just swap drivers, or even image the old one and drop it on the new drive.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
If it were Windows, I'd say "definitely yes." While I don't know of any issues offhand, I am not a Mac user, so I don't want to extend bad advice.

What I do know works is a Time Machine backup. If you have an external hard drive or something you could just do one of those and restore it to the new machine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sointenly posted:

Mac question.

So my work gave me a loaner macbook because the one they ordered for me hadn't arrived by my first day. They are essentially the exact same model, except that the new one will be an i7 2.4 whereas the one I have now is an i7 2.2ghz... and I think the new one has the high res display, not sure about this one.

Will i just be able to swap the HDD's and keep rolling on the new one, or will drivers end up being an issue? I've got the older one pretty stuffed (VMware, a ton of adobe products, office est..) and I'd love just swap drivers, or even image the old one and drop it on the new drive.

You ought to be fine. I'm almost positive that an installation of MacOS holds kexts for every single permutation of Apple's hardware. I would put money on this being a smooth transition.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

You can connect them with a network cable or FW800 and run the migration assistant, as well.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

If you have a cheap microwave, you could also test this by moving your PC so the microwave is between it and the router, then running the microwave. The signal should similarly drop off (as 2.4 GHz is a radio frequency in the microwave spectrum). If the drop-off doesn't work similarly to the phone issue, this points to it not being interference.

I've always wondered about this - if your microwave is putting out that much RFI doesn't that mean it's got bad shielding/grounding and probably ought to be replaced?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

I've always wondered about this - if your microwave is putting out that much RFI doesn't that mean it's got bad shielding/grounding and probably ought to be replaced?
A microwave puts out about 1000W of energy, your wireless adapter is listening for a signal that's under 0.1W. Even with shielding and not being on the exact same frequency, it's going to make a difference.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well yes, but what is allowable leakage on a microwave? I'd imagine it'd be well under 1W as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Well yes, but what is allowable leakage on a microwave? I'd imagine it'd be well under 1W as well.

I don't think there's any standard, but a microwave that leaks too much is useless for cooking, albeit harmless.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
As it turns out, the FDA limit is 1mW/cm2 at 5 cm before purchase and 5mw/cm2 at 5 cm at any time after.

I guess if your SNR is poor it could have an effect? Or maybe cheap microwaves are just rampantly out of FDA guidelines.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Factory Factory posted:

As it turns out, the FDA limit is 1mW/cm2 at 5 cm before purchase and 5mw/cm2 at 5 cm at any time after.

I guess if your SNR is poor it could have an effect? Or maybe cheap microwaves are just rampantly out of FDA guidelines.

Mostly, don't have your router near your microwave or have your microwave in the middle of the path from your router to your device.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
yeah, it turned out that I fixed my new PC not connecting by plugging it in :blush: but the issue with the landline cutting off internet is still there.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

So I have a Cyberpower UPS thats 685 AV 390 watts that isn't switching from AC to DC fast enough. For the last couple times the power has gone off at my house the UPS doesn't catch quick enough giving enough time for the system to lose power. It does switch over but by the time it has done so the computer is off then rebooted and is POSTing. This happens if the power goes completely out and if only goes out for a second.

I noticed on their program that monitors the UPS that my outlet is supply 118v and when I am running a game my wattage goes up to approx. 260w. Could either of these lead to the UPS being taxed and not able to click over fast enough? Or should I try to get it replaced through warranty?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Neither of those things is or should be an issue. Call the manufacturer's technical support.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I've had that happen on cheap UPSs too, especially when the power draw is a significant portion of the rated draw. I've never found a solution other than just replacing the UPS with a non-crappy APC model, but maybe getting the unit replaced will fix it.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Thanks for the feedback. I really don't think I have the receipts anymore as its been over a year so I guess I should just pony up for a better UPS.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Does anyone manufacture brand-new Force Feedback joysticks anymore? I'm currently using a Microsoft Sidewinder FF 2, but it's kinda old by now. A quick Google just turns up loads of second-hand joysticks.

Alpha Q. Up
May 14, 2003

Lemmy IS God!!!
I recently got some new wireless devices and I need a new wireless router. I've been using the same wired router for years so I am completely clueless about them. It will be used for my home network (PC and PS3 only), my Iphone/Ipad and the occasional friend that drops by with a laptop. So basically it needs to be cheap, function well for my home wired use, and provide basic wireless functionality.

What can you guys recommend for me? I did not see a networking/router hardware thread so if I've messed up please direct me there and I will ask my question again, otherwise thanks in advance! :)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Alpha Q. Up posted:

I recently got some new wireless devices and I need a new wireless router. I've been using the same wired router for years so I am completely clueless about them. It will be used for my home network (PC and PS3 only), my Iphone/Ipad and the occasional friend that drops by with a laptop. So basically it needs to be cheap, function well for my home wired use, and provide basic wireless functionality.

What can you guys recommend for me? I did not see a networking/router hardware thread so if I've messed up please direct me there and I will ask my question again, otherwise thanks in advance! :)
Here's a link to the Home Networking Megathread, make sure anything you're looking at is dual-band (supports the newer 5Ghz standard) so you don't get stuck without compatibility with newer devices.

Alpha Q. Up
May 14, 2003

Lemmy IS God!!!

Alereon posted:

Here's a link to the Home Networking Megathread, make sure anything you're looking at is dual-band (supports the newer 5Ghz standard) so you don't get stuck without compatibility with newer devices.

Thank you! Can't believe I missed that :o: I will take your advice and repost. If anyone else has advice I'll check here too.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Once again, this isn't strictly a hardware question per-se, but it relates to the BIOS.

When I installed linux on my in-laws' computer (Kids can't gently caress it up with viruses from dodgy games :v:), I used a a boot CD which allows you to make an old computer which doesn't support booting from USB boot from USB.

I cannot remember its name for the life of me, and I only stumbled on it by chance. I would very much like to burn myself a copy as a permanent part of my computer repair arsenal, so if anyone knows what it's called, I'd be indebted.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Do they still make those SD cards that fold in half and have a built in USB port? Those were the coolest things ever and the last I can find of them were the Sandisk Ultra II's in 2GB from years ago. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms on Newegg?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hamburglar posted:

Do they still make those SD cards that fold in half and have a built in USB port? Those were the coolest things ever and the last I can find of them were the Sandisk Ultra II's in 2GB from years ago. Maybe I'm searching the wrong terms on Newegg?
Yeah I think Sandisk stopped making new ones. That was their "SD Plus" line that I believe capped out at 4GB.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet
I have an old computer with an NVIDIA Geforce 6150LE video card, and I've been running SpeedFan because my system fan was failing (replaced it yesterday).

When I'm running a game it gets up to 70C on the Remote Temp. area. I never ran it when I wasn't having system fan troubles, so I don't know how normal this is.

Should I be looking into it or is it good? Its at around 50ish right now with nothing running but Firefox.

CharlesWillisMaddox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 11, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's fine. GPUs can get a lot hotter than CPUs and still run safely.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Factory Factory posted:

It's fine. GPUs can get a lot hotter than CPUs and still run safely.

I restarted my computer, and I got the system fan failure warning again, so I checked it out.

(left idling, right running Minecraft, since taking these Remote and Core have risen to 70/60)

Says both fans are still running. Or is it the three and four fan they're talking about? I don't even have a third or fourth fan.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Use hwinfo64 instead, maybe that will solve your problem (speedfan is terrible)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Are you especially worried about preserving an onboard GPU? :v:

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I restarted my computer, and I got the system fan failure warning again, so I checked it out.

(left idling, right running Minecraft, since taking these Remote and Core have risen to 70/60)

Says both fans are still running. Or is it the three and four fan they're talking about? I don't even have a third or fourth fan.
Do you have an OEM PC? Is the new fan plugged into the CPU fan header?

Some OEM (Dell/HP/etc) PC's look for a certain # of RPM's on the CPU fan header to indicate that the CPU fan is working or they'll give you the fan failure prompt. There may be an option to disable the prompt in BIOS.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 12, 2012

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've been getting TDRs (The Driver Reset) off and on since I built my new system. Lately they've been happening once every couple days.

The screen shuts off, the sound freezes like it's about to BSOD, and then it comes back saying the driver stopped responding but it was recovered. This almost always happens in Firefox.

Google turns up tons of people with the same problem.

It's not a show-stopper but it is annoying. I wonder why it only happens when the vid card is basically idling and not under load like in Total War: Shogun 2.

My build:

i5 2500k
Geforce 460 1 GB
8GB DDR3
ASUS P8P67 rev 3.0

Stock settings and coolers.

CrazyBumFungus
Apr 21, 2006
So I've got an NT4 machine that I removed from a domain that no longer exists, but unfortunately there were files that I needed from the recycle bin under a certain user profile. Under a local administrator account, the bin contains only files that have been deleted since being removed from the domain, so I'm curious if the recycler for the old account still exists somewhere or if I'm hosed. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, just noticed this is not the appropriate thread.

CrazyBumFungus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 12, 2012

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

skooma512 posted:

My build:

i5 2500k
Geforce 460 1 GB
8GB DDR3
ASUS P8P67 rev 3.0

Stock settings and coolers.
What power supply are you using?

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!
I have a bit of a weird problem. I just installed win7 on to my new crucial m4 ssd and everything works fine except if i put the ssd as my first boot option it doesnt do anything after post and just stays at a black screen with the blinking cursor. If i have it set to boot from the cd/dvd first it works but makes me choose win7 as the operating system to launch with 2 separate options for seemingly the same win7. This doesn't really cause me any problems its just odd.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
A friend's computer wasn't booting. He'd press the power button and just get a continuous beep, no graphics, but the fans and drives power up.

I tried taking out all his pci cards, new memory, different power supply and even a new graphics card in case the onboard one had fried itself. No luck, still the same issue every time.

Can someone just confirm what I suspect, that the motherboard is fried and he should replace it/get a new machine?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The only thing you haven't tried is swapping out the CPU.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Lovie Unsmith posted:

The only thing you haven't tried is swapping out the CPU.

Indeed, but I don't have any of the same socket type lying around. Still, I'd better salvage one, because I don't want to risk getting grief if he buys a new motherboard and that's the issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
As a rule, it's never the CPU. The only time CPUs fail is when a power delivery failure or other abuse fries them, so any time you think it might be the CPU, you can just assume it's something else. That sounds like a motherboard failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

From the smell of burnt plastic and the heat on the back of the machine, my mom's power supply just blew.
I replaced it with one I had lying around from when I upgraded and....everything appears to work. Is this common? I was under the understanding that when the power supply went it took everything attached to it with it.

• Locked thread