Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

If I ever move to Florida, the first thing I'm doing is setting up something like that. Imagine the fun you have, pulling in the traps! I mean, look at that amphiuma, it's just HUGE! I knew they got that big, but just seeing it is something else. It just dwarfs that greater siren, and that's a big animal! The mud snake is beautiful, too; I guess it ate two amphiumas in the trap and was starting on a third in the trap; they really could have done a better job with the animals and all the by-catch. Still neat, though.

Makes me want to get down to one of my Florida sites so bad, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I looked at it about 3 separate times before I even noticed the gator. Yikes.

light_urple
Sep 26, 2002

Meow!

Captain Foxy posted:

How else can I encourage this fucker to eat f/t? Any tips and tricks from you fabulous BP owners? We've let him fast since the expo on the 21st, is this enough time to work up a ravenous appetite? We're planning to try him tonight, I hope he takes it with no issue. :ohdear:

I know you don't want to feed live, but the only way I got my live-mouse obsessed 3+ year old probably WC female to eat F/T was by fasting and then feeding a live mouse immediately followed by a F/T small rat chaser.

She took the 2nd item thanks to her instinct to EAT EAT EAT while already eating, and from then on she took them without the live appetizer. Before that I had tried all the tricks in the book - scenting, braining, dark places, etc. She needs a little more of a tong dance than my happy CB boy, but ball pythons are so :downs: I'm just happy she's eating them.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Hypnolobster posted:

Holy god that looks like so much fun. Want dig around in those traps so bad :3:

Same here. Wanna hug that gator.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

light_urple posted:

I know you don't want to feed live, but the only way I got my live-mouse obsessed 3+ year old probably WC female to eat F/T was by fasting and then feeding a live mouse immediately followed by a F/T small rat chaser.

She took the 2nd item thanks to her instinct to EAT EAT EAT while already eating, and from then on she took them without the live appetizer. Before that I had tried all the tricks in the book - scenting, braining, dark places, etc. She needs a little more of a tong dance than my happy CB boy, but ball pythons are so :downs: I'm just happy she's eating them.

The scenting with my rats totally worked! I didn't even have to brain it, although I've done that before for my old picky KSB. I rubbed it all over their gross musky rat backs and balls and he thumped it down immediately with no issue! :dance:

I wonder if the lovely vendor even fed him at all before selling him, because he was seriously hungry. :argh: Now all we have to do is get a fecal float and upgrade him to the 40g.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Oh...my... god. :3:!!!!

So our very own Cultured Snail offered some of her E. Agricolae babies up for sale last night! And after emailing and spending a night doing this :derp: I woke up this morning to find out I was the first person to email about the one I wanted! I pretty much exploded with excitement. I am SO giddy to finally be able to get one of these guys! I cannot wait for shipping weather so my new little guy can get here!! I just had to share with you guys. :)

Here's a link to the specific one I'll be getting. How stunning! I think I'll be keeping the name too, it's too adorable to change! :D I am so happy right now. Nothing has been able to ruin my day since I found out. :3:

http://www.jbscresties.com/flicker.jpg

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I just want to add a private gently caress You to craigslist responders who 'really really REALLY' want one of my Kenyan sand boa babies. This girl has been in contact with me for loving months, always asking for more pictures and if I was 100% sure on the gender and if I'd guarantee the genders and more. And of course always wanting the price to drop. I finally told her it was tonight or never, so I waited 20 minutes for the bitch to show up. She never did.

Come home and there's an email from just before we were to meet, saying tonight was no good, can we do another night, and could I knock another 10 bucks off?

2 anery males for 50 was the first rate. I told her if she really wants them, the price is now $70 for both.

And seriously that is still a loving steal. Wholesale pricing, I just need to move them!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

hypnotoad posted:

Oh...my... god. :3:!!!!

So our very own Cultured Snail offered some of her E. Agricolae babies up for sale last night! And after emailing and spending a night doing this :derp: I woke up this morning to find out I was the first person to email about the one I wanted! I pretty much exploded with excitement. I am SO giddy to finally be able to get one of these guys! I cannot wait for shipping weather so my new little guy can get here!! I just had to share with you guys. :)

Here's a link to the specific one I'll be getting. How stunning! I think I'll be keeping the name too, it's too adorable to change! :D I am so happy right now. Nothing has been able to ruin my day since I found out. :3:

http://www.jbscresties.com/flicker.jpg

You lucky bastard :argh:

Congrats! It's my own fault for not watching the site, but ohhh I wanted one! I totally get your excitement; they're just lovely little things.

Ahh well. I need to focus on building racks and preparing for a leachie baby anyway, so it's probably for the best.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

You lucky bastard :argh:

Congrats! It's my own fault for not watching the site, but ohhh I wanted one! I totally get your excitement; they're just lovely little things.

Ahh well. I need to focus on building racks and preparing for a leachie baby anyway, so it's probably for the best.

I really did luck out! I just so happened to be on facebook the SECOND she linked to her page saying she had added a few new geckos for sale. I was like :aaa:

We just put together a nice awesome rack in our room, it makes things sooo much easier! I'll take pictures of it one day. Corn snake and dubia colony on the bottom, cresties the next level up, and reptile/miscellaneous pet supplies on top. Our hognose is on a table by himself though, he's cool like that I guess. I'm going to be preparing for a leachie baby here myself soon, it is going to be my boyfriend's new baby. All the geckos have kind of been 'mine' so far I guess, so this baby leachie will be his very first rhac. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

How did you set up your rack, if you don't mind my asking? And what's your heat source?

I want to DIY my own but I'm a little :ohdear: about wiring Flexwatt because I feel that I have a strong possibility of burning myself and my pets to the ground....which I would like to avoid.

ETA: And clearly you need to post a thousand pictures of the agricolae baby when it arrives!

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 6, 2012

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Here are some guides I have read regarding building racks and using flexwatt. It seems pretty simple.

Wiring Flexwatt Heat Tape
Wiring Heat Tape (Parallel Installation)

Basic Shoebox Rack I was planning on building something like this in the near future. I would cut large holes and hot glue screen on the front of each sterlite box to mist through.

I think the most important thing to consider regarding not burning poo poo is to use a reliable rheostat to keep your temperatures stable and safe.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Captain Foxy posted:

How did you set up your rack, if you don't mind my asking? And what's your heat source?

I want to DIY my own but I'm a little :ohdear: about wiring Flexwatt because I feel that I have a strong possibility of burning myself and my pets to the ground....which I would like to avoid.

ETA: And clearly you need to post a thousand pictures of the agricolae baby when it arrives!

I actually cheated on my rack, it wasn't DIY, I just found I had one of these laying unused and forgotten about in the corner of my garage:

It's been absolutely wonderful, and the shelves are adjustable. :) I use a UTH for my dubias to keep them a little warmer to motivate them to breed, and a little heat lamp for my corn and hognose respectively. My room is already on the warm side, so I'm lucky enough that the temps stay between 68-75 in the winter and 72-82 in the summertime, so the rhacs are fine. I do really love a good DIY rack though, so I hope you give us photos!

And yes! There will be an aggie picture overload once my little guy arrives. Which, if the weather stays as bizarrely warm as it's been, might be sooner rather than later! :D

Kijiro
Jul 20, 2007

Snake, you'll never beat me if you keep on clinging to the past! Just look at that bandana!
We need more beardies in this thread. Here's my baby chilling shortly after his day light went off for the night.

I did a some research on the compact UVB lamps since someone earlier in the thread mentioned they are dangerous. Turns out there is some new evidence popping up everywhere that suggest those lights can cause burns on the skin and inside the eyes of beardies and other creatures. Ick.

So I replaced my compact bulb with a 'Sunglow' bulb and I'm really happy with it. It gives off good heat and it's bright without being blindingly bright. I haven't seen anything about the dangers of Mercury bulbs so far.

I still need a name for the little guy (or girl). I was thinking about posting a thread to ask for names but I don't know if that sort of thing is frowned upon. I'd offer more pictures but I only have a crappy cell phone at the moment.

His favorite food is baby crickets and teeny apple pieces. He enjoys basking in the sun and pretending to be a big tough guy.

Bobbaganoosh
Jun 23, 2004

...kinda catchy...

Cowslips Warren posted:

I just want to add a private gently caress You to craigslist responders who 'really really REALLY' want one of my Kenyan sand boa babies. This girl has been in contact with me for loving months, always asking for more pictures and if I was 100% sure on the gender and if I'd guarantee the genders and more. And of course always wanting the price to drop. I finally told her it was tonight or never, so I waited 20 minutes for the bitch to show up. She never did.

Come home and there's an email from just before we were to meet, saying tonight was no good, can we do another night, and could I knock another 10 bucks off?

2 anery males for 50 was the first rate. I told her if she really wants them, the price is now $70 for both.

And seriously that is still a loving steal. Wholesale pricing, I just need to move them!

CL is a parasite farm. I wouldn't wish it any of my animals. I've met more remedial morons and half-wit abortions via CL than any other means.

"I know you wanted $60, but I only have $20."
"These eat crickents right?" ("experienced" snake keeper re: ball pythons)

CL is the online leper colony. While there are some awesome folks out there, the ratio of good vs bad will shatter any faith you have in the hope of humanity, and the notion that, as a higher species, we might be evolving to a higher form.

Calculate the price vs your worth per hour x the # of hours it will require to agree on price, take the additional photos they want, give directions in triplicate, settle the sale, deal with the stupid "I couldn't make it today. Can you deliver it to me?" type questions.

If that comes out to worth your time, then and only then consider dealing with CL.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Fauna Classifieds is better, but not much. I frequently get people asking about 3+ year old posts there. A couple months back I had someone asking about some dart frogs I was selling back in college, over 5 years ago. How far back do these people look, and why are they expecting me to still have them?

Another guy replied to my post that it's illegal to ship any animals through USPS. No, you can't ship snakes and through USPS; lizards, amphibians, and so on are fine if they're under 20 inches. I replied, linking to the exact article in the USPS regulations, and then either a mod deleted it, or I wasn't allowed to respond to the post. Nice; makes me look like I don't know what I'm doing and makes customers not want to deal with me. Thanks, rear end in a top hat.

And now I've got some guy who apparently can't read. He asked for a price quote, despite the fact that I gave a quote in the post (all he needed to do was multiply 3 x $25 and add the shipping), and I responded ten minutes after he sent the request. I was sending some out to someone else the next day so I was hoping he'd get back to me that night or early the next day; getting animals ready and mailing them is really time consuming, so it saves me almost two hours of my time to send two packages on the same day. I waited until the last minute, but he never replied, which is fair; a lot of people don't check their mail during the day, but still frustrating since I'd replied almost immediately after getting his question. A few days later, I messaged him again, to see if he got my first message, and then I hear nothing from the guy until earlier tonight. He finally gets back to me, sends two e-mails, both asking for a price quote, one of which quoted the second e-mail I sent. Hello, read the message below the one you replied to! I checked and my first message was marked in the sent box.

That guy was actually from the city I collected the adults from. Not a huge deal, but I kinda scratch my head when he could just buy a couple minnow traps or even get a heavy-duty dipnet like I have if he wants sirens so badly. I was half tempted to offer to deliver them, use the shipping for partial gas money, and then go have some fun dipnetting, but I don't really want to meet someone who's that dense. Who knows if he'll get back to me this time; I've had problems with not getting e-mails responded to and then having them ask the same question, but PM boxes don't have junk filters.

Sorry, just a bit frustrated; seeing talk about crappiness on craigslist made me feel like venting, too.

I started building my new dwarf siren pool today. I decided to go from scratch instead of cleaning the one I've got, and also to make it into a daphnia pool first and add the sirens once a population was established and the water was clean again. I'm half done with the setup, decided to let it sit for a day and make sure it's not leaking before adding any sand. I took some pictures of the process and could post them, if anyone wants to see how you can build a crappy-looking but functional 200 gallon amphibian or fish pond outside. Also decided I'm going to try trapping my larger greater siren since I haven't seen it since last fall and wanted to make sure it was okay; my attempts to net it were a complete waste of time. Might be able to get pictures of that, but I can't find my minnow traps. It's been a long day.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Craigslist can provide some unintentional humor on occasion. I tried listing some Chahoua hatchlings on there once which didn't go so well. Apparently everyone on craiglist things all geckos are either leopard geckos or cresteds. One of the replies was this:

craigslist posted:

just got 2 harliquin cresteds for 70 dollars y r urs soooooooooo high?

All I could envision after reading that was a bunch of geckos smoking up.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I don't use CL for posting anything important..I've offered some of my fancy mice before that I use for both breeding for fun and for snake food.. But even that wasn't worth it. I was so pissed off the other day about idiots asking about them, that I write long explanations for, get the best pictures possible (which is so drat hard to do for mice that never stop moving!) and then they just never get back to me.

I even had a local reptile enthusiast ask me about them, sent a nice email with lots of pictures and two days later, still no reply, I told them 'Hey, I am culling off some males soon, if you want any please let me know asap!'

Still no reply...How hard is it to just type 'yes! I want this one!' or 'No thanks sorry changed my mind!' and hit send? It isn't. People are just loving annoying.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CL around here is pretty brain numbing. Noone bothers to look up morphs. I've seen more amel/anery/butter corns listed around here as 'albinos'. There's a ton of trolls too. And selling anything is pretty ridiculous. Apparently the dudes that go to the yard sales usually just go to case houses too. Awesome, right?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Another mouse-related story.

Now that I am raising some of my own rodents for my snakes, I have an even stronger appreciation of the whole 'Don't feed live' warnings.

I prekill my live mice for my snakes when I give them the ones I've raised. I have however tried to give one of my more voracious eaters a eyes-barely-opened baby once, and that thing nipped her on the head and gave her a really good scare. I was pretty shocked it managed to do that...Never doing that again.

Yesterday I was handling some of my latest litter for socializing and fun, because they are so drat adorable. They had just opened their eyes earlier this week, and 1 of the 11 decided it was going to be an rear end in a top hat. This thing bit me so hard with it's tiny teeth, and would NOT let go. It sat there grinding it's teeth onto my finger. It was smaller than a walnut, and didn't break skin, but that thing hurt! Hurt more than one of my geckos biting me, and was sore for a whole hour afterward. Needless to say...That one is becoming food as soon as it grows up a bit more.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing is that I haven't really had issues before with CL, so this time just burned me. Unfortunately I'm down to just 6 babies, not enough to send anywhere (most places want 10 minimum) and the pet stores around here are willing to pay perhaps $10 each. One place offered me a whole $20 for the two anerys and a two year old male.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Wow some of these CL stories are... Wow. :stare:

The only time I've ever used CL to sell an animal was to rehome my boyfriends cobalt blue tarantula. I guess we lucked out, the person who responded was incredibly familiar with tarantula care.

The only other time I've sold an animal I used the Pangea trade section because I hadn't heard of the Fauna Classifieds yet. Those people were super friendly, they even sent updated pictures to me like 6 months after I sold him (him being a male pastel BP). It was really cute. I love knowing he got a wonderful home. :3:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

big dig posted:

My kids named my male lacerta Sonic the Hedgehog.

I also have a Mr. Crowley (new red phase boa), and my two boas are Fry and Leela. They're too young to do it, but I think he awkwardly hits on her but never gets it right.

My 6 year old named our female, normal ball python 'Lilith', and he has no clue about the old apocryphal tales regarding that namesake. Amusing enough coincidence. The other snake we have, a pastel ball python, he named 'Rigby', because he likes 'The Regular Show.' Worked for me.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe don't sell animals on craigslist?

And this goes for everyone, goddamn. You might as well start selling reptiles out of the trunk of your car in front of Family Dollar.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hood Ornament posted:

And this goes for everyone, goddamn. You might as well start selling reptiles out of the trunk of your car in front of Family Dollar.

Faunaclassifieds and kingsnake.com are both cesspools in their own special ways, but they're miles better than selling on CL.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hood Ornament posted:

I really usually don't. The pet store that always bought them from me closed up suddenly in December. Two weeks after the reptile manager said he wanted all of the babies I had, since the ones I'd sold them previously moved like crazy.

I usually just use craigslist for selling extra shrimp or snails. I have gotten some good deals on aquariums there and sold some supplies, but for snakes, I usually don't.

That said, herp content: one of my hognose babies finally shed! And he was ravenous for his meal. Cheshire is a pretty good eater. Alice seems to forget that she is a snake and spends some time hissing, puffing up, and mock striking the pinkie/fuzzy mouse. After some time she realizes she can eat it. But both of them still hiss and puff like mad when I open their cages. Will this presumably go away as they age? I know my albino Kenyan sand boa was like this and then one day the snake Valium apparently hit and he's chill as gently caress.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Cowslips Warren posted:

But both of them still hiss and puff like mad when I open their cages. Will this presumably go away as they age? I know my albino Kenyan sand boa was like this and then one day the snake Valium apparently hit and he's chill as gently caress.

Maybe. Of all mine about half still puff a bit when they're disturbed, and one of my males was mostly quiet up until the latter part of 2011 when he developed an attitude. Most of them still at least give me a grumpy puff or two when they're picked up.

Edit- my group tends towards younger, though, most of them are sub 30 grams. The 2 adult females puff still but don't hood, and the adult male stops just short of mouth gaping and playing dead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMr3MVAryFc

the yeti fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 7, 2012

Kijiro
Jul 20, 2007

Snake, you'll never beat me if you keep on clinging to the past! Just look at that bandana!
Can someone post some do's and dont's for bathing and cleaning bearded dragons? I'm fuzzy on details such as 'how often' and 'how much water is good'.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Kijiro posted:

Can someone post some do's and dont's for bathing and cleaning bearded dragons? I'm fuzzy on details such as 'how often' and 'how much water is good'.

I bathe our beardie at work about once a week. I just put him in a rubbermaid and run lukewarm water slowly down the side of the bin in front of his face. He usually drinks a good bit of it, and I stop adding water when he is starting to float but can still touch the bottom easily (1-2 inches?).

I let him play around in the water for about 10 minutes and then take him out, dry him off, and feed him some worms.

Make sure the rubbermaid is tall enough that he can't jump out, and supervise him the whole time he is in there. We also have a dedicated beardie toothbrush I use to lightly scrub him.

I don't know if that is the correct way to bathe a beardie but it has worked for me so far.

Mistegirl
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a lizard. I have a hat. What else do you want?
:sassargh:SASS2013:sassargh:
I do the same thing with my beardie, but his routine is pretty set. Splash around for a minute, drink a bunch, poop, try to play in the poop before he can be grabbed.

Baths usually last about 3 minutes total.

I guess my point is don't be shocked if your poops in there. I've read on beardie forums about people who bathe theirs every day and they get into the habit of just pooping then.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I just wanted to share my first amphibian purchase in my adult life :3:

Meet Isaac Newton, the female paddle tail newt! Anyone else own one? Comments on feeding and habit construction for things that they seem to love particularly? What about keeping a small population of decorative/feeder guppies?

And I took Nesbit's advice and started building my own dart frog terrarium - so far it has drainage layers, organic soil, some stones, and a new layer of moss! I am going the extreme basic beginner model - I plan to see if I can maintain a basic terrarium before dropping the cash on a new 20gal that I will sculpt a background and waterfall for.

How did you guys start your isopod/springtail populations? Where do you get those? What do you feed them?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Poke around some invert forums for sale section, or just cultural your own. Generally 1 generation from wild-caught should be fine to be put into a colony. Although collection may be a headache this time of the year depending on your location.

Some dart frog boards might also sell them, especially if you post a want ad. I wouldn't be surprised if someone offered them for a few dollars more than shipping costs.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

Joshsfrogs.com sells springtail cultures, I was just there checking out their biovines and stumbled across them.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
You can get them both from http://www.neherpetoculture.com as well, though they are out of isopods till March. You actually want to avoid organic soil if you can. I'll be covering substrates, microfauna and such in a post in the gecko condo thread in a week or so once my plants get in and I can take pictures post planting.

Springtail care (they eat fungus, you should feed them yeast)
http://www.neherpetoculture.com/springtailcare.htm

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 9, 2012

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Josh's Frogs is a pretty decent place, I've bought a lot of bugs from them. You can feed them yeast, or even wet fish flakes.

Trilineatus posted:

I just wanted to share my first amphibian purchase in my adult life :3:

Meet Isaac Newton, the female paddle tail newt! Anyone else own one? Comments on feeding and habit construction for things that they seem to love particularly? What about keeping a small population of decorative/feeder guppies?

Pachytriton are really, really aggressive, so any other animals you add to the tank would be a bad idea, unless you didn't mind them getting eaten. I don't really recommend fish for food, though; they tend to carry parasites and diseases and newts don't really eat a lot of fish in the wild. With the aggression, I'd also advise against keeping them with other paddletails; breeding them is difficult because they tend to fight with each other. As long as you're happy with the one newt, though, she should do well.

Pachytriton are stream-dwelling newts, so they can tolerate more current from a filter than other animals. They don't require it, though. The setup looks pretty good, though you might add some larger rocks for cover, or use PVC pipe, clay flower pots, etc.

You may want to include some sort of floating platform. She shouldn't use it unless something is wrong, but that would be a tip off that it's too hot, the water quality is poor, or that it is otherwise sick.

This page may be useful to you, too:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

Josh's Frogs is a pretty decent place, I've bought a lot of bugs from them. You can feed them yeast, or even wet fish flakes.

Pachytriton are really, really aggressive, so any other animals you add to the tank would be a bad idea, unless you didn't mind them getting eaten. I don't really recommend fish for food, though; they tend to carry parasites and diseases and newts don't really eat a lot of fish in the wild. With the aggression, I'd also advise against keeping them with other paddletails; breeding them is difficult because they tend to fight with each other. As long as you're happy with the one newt, though, she should do well.

Pachytriton are stream-dwelling newts, so they can tolerate more current from a filter than other animals. They don't require it, though. The setup looks pretty good, though you might add some larger rocks for cover, or use PVC pipe, clay flower pots, etc.

You may want to include some sort of floating platform. She shouldn't use it unless something is wrong, but that would be a tip off that it's too hot, the water quality is poor, or that it is otherwise sick.

This page may be useful to you, too:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

In all seriousness, I've met a lot of people who were incredibly smart about certain things, snake, lizards, tarantulas, etc... but you are probably the smartest dude I've ever conversed with when it comes to caudates.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

There are people that are far smarter than me; my friend literally makes me feel REALLY stupid when I talk with him, though to be fair he's going for his doctorate in herpetology. On the Internet, though, I get to pick and choose the topics I know about to answer, so it works out well for me, haha. I'm terrible with identifying certain groups, don't even bother with Desmognathus spp., and I'm not really very knowledgeable about some (or maybe most) groups Plethodontids, which is unfortunately also the largest group of salamanders. But when it comes to basic care, aside from illnesses generally, I've got a pretty good idea for how to keep every group and most of the species you're going to run into in the pet trade.

Thanks for the compliment, though! If you're ever in South Carolina for some reason and feel like going out for salamanders, feel free to message me. Or anyone else in the thread, really. I'm going out for four-toed salamanders in April, I'm hoping to go herping in the Francis Marion near Charleston in March if I can raise some money, and I'm overdue for a trip to the Congaree near Columbia for dwarf waterdogs and whatever other aquatics turn up. Salamander herping isn't as fun as going for snakes, but dip netting for sirens/waterdogs/amphiumas/Stereochilus is awesome (especially if you find some) and looking for four-toeds is always a blast, though extremely easy.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

OneTwentySix posted:

There are people that are far smarter than me; my friend literally makes me feel REALLY stupid when I talk with him, though to be fair he's going for his doctorate in herpetology. On the Internet, though, I get to pick and choose the topics I know about to answer, so it works out well for me, haha. I'm terrible with identifying certain groups, don't even bother with Desmognathus spp., and I'm not really very knowledgeable about some (or maybe most) groups Plethodontids, which is unfortunately also the largest group of salamanders. But when it comes to basic care, aside from illnesses generally, I've got a pretty good idea for how to keep every group and most of the species you're going to run into in the pet trade.

Thanks for the compliment, though! If you're ever in South Carolina for some reason and feel like going out for salamanders, feel free to message me. Or anyone else in the thread, really. I'm going out for four-toed salamanders in April, I'm hoping to go herping in the Francis Marion near Charleston in March if I can raise some money, and I'm overdue for a trip to the Congaree near Columbia for dwarf waterdogs and whatever other aquatics turn up. Salamander herping isn't as fun as going for snakes, but dip netting for sirens/waterdogs/amphiumas/Stereochilus is awesome (especially if you find some) and looking for four-toeds is always a blast, though extremely easy.

I actually live in Savannah Ga, just over the bridge from SC. We may just need to go herping some time.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I plan on passing through SC in March to go camping. So if you make any plans to go herping, please tell me. I'd love to get in on that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

You guys really need to take about a thousand pictures.

How do you feed bugs anything? I mean, crickets you just toss the chunks in. Do you just sprinkle yeast on top of the substrate for these little guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy Retirer
Sep 9, 2011
This lovely little leopard gecko lady is arriving next Wednesday. I'm incredibly excited. Am I right in thinking that a three month quarantine and weighing at least 45-50g is recommended before introducing her to my male leopard gecko?

• Locked thread