Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sockser posted:

I assume you mean 3rd. The second was 2006. And that's if you exclude Jango's Slave I.

But yeah, the third one is out of production, I think. Might be some stock still hanging out, though.

Really? It's still on Amazon.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I remember being so exited and then underwhelmed by that 1st edition Slave 1.
The most recent one is the set that got me back into lego, I couldn't resist the new Boba minifigure.
Sooooo when will there be a UCS Slave 1?
I'm guessing they'll save that for 'last'... until they renew the license again that is.

Speaking of UCS, I hope they re-release the UCS Millenium Falcon and Star Destroyer at some point. I really really want those sets but I'm not going to pay $1500+ for them.

By the way, there's a R2-D2 set coming out later this year that's $150 and people think it's probably going to be an UCS. Is there anymore info on it?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Sockser posted:

I assume you mean 3rd. The second was 2006. And that's if you exclude Jango's Slave I.

But yeah, the third one is out of production, I think. Might be some stock still hanging out, though.

edit:

Jesus christ.

yeah 3rd, I have the 2nd, and kept putting off getting the 3rd because at the time I was just kinda getting back into them and the $80 price tag was too high. I saw Target had them online clearance at $25 but were sold out :(

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

This guy has some of the best Alien mocs I've ever seen:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28192677@N06/sets/72157622473355069/with/3707363430/

OpinionCushion
May 6, 2002
It doesn't look like an ice sculpture.... OR DOES IT??

Shuppiluliumas posted:

It's more that the parts just didn't exist. Almost all of the wedge plates and curve slopes and whatnot were made for Star Wars. Those early sets demonstrate a pretty clear need for shapes better-suited to making space ships. The AFOL market and the way we build has influenced designers as well. Heck, more of them are drawn from the AFOL community these days, it seems.
Well, sure. I'm just saying I don't see the demand for more accurate shaping without demand from the AFOL market in the first place. If I were a kid, I'd be pretty pleased with the 1999-2000 models.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the newer models are better in almost every way, but the trade-off for better shaping is dramatically higher piececounts. I imagine some of those older models could be improved with the same amount of pieces, even without the variety that designers get to work with today.

Millenium Falcon
2000: 663 pieces
2004: 985 pieces
2011: 1238 pieces

Sith Infiltrator
1999: 244 pieces
2007: 310 pieces
2011: 479 pieces

Slave I
2000: 166 pieces
2002: 360 pieces
2006: 537 pieces
2010: 573 pieces

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Saint Sputnik posted:

Still no S6 anywhere in northern Indiana, though a Ft Wayne area target is selling S5 at 2/$4. And the Walmart in Columbia City had two Alien Motherships for $30 each, so I got one.

Also been enjoying that Oriental Bazaar game after I got that on sale a few weeks ago. Tempted to expand the rules with bandit attacks, banking and bank robberies, to make my girlfriend work a little harder at beating me every. loving. time.

I saw a single S6 package (package, not box) at TRU last weekend. I have no idea how we're getting screwed so hard. All the Walmarts have like four-plus cases of S5 and they just refuse to put them on sale/clearance. No problem discounting big sets to 50% or more, but they just gotta gouge the poo poo out of those minifigs. :smith:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
So, I may have gone a little crazy since Friday.

I also bought Lex Luthor's Power Armor because it's bitchin'. I did discover a rather rare and interesting flaw:

I didn't find any finger bits for my stumpy Roman Soldier, so I can only guess it happened outside of the package. It also presents an opportunity for Re Tardoniedes to chime in.

"What, you don't play catch in Rome?"

"That's it, I have to know what you're hiding!"

\/\/You lucky bastard.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 6, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I was moving stuff in my closet and I totally just found a new-in-box 10143 Death Star II Ultimate Collector's Edition. I thought I sold that years ago.

It's like finding a chest full of gold doubloons buried under the storage boxes! Although that's sorta why I buried it in the closet in the first place.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 6, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Cbouncerrun posted:

Speaking of UCS, I hope they re-release the UCS Millenium Falcon and Star Destroyer at some point. I really really want those sets but I'm not going to pay $1500+ for them.

Or alternatively, tweak it and release it as a new set...I've heard that the top surface of the Star Destroyer is held on magnetically and it's not all that secure.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

toaster_pastry posted:

so, Bricks by The Bay is coming up soon. :siren:

Who else is registered? I'm really only going because I live nearby, but hope to catch up with any goons that will be in attendance.

http://www.bricksbythebay.com/
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know this was a thing. I'll probably go.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The only thing I want from the Friends line is for this

to be cast in a shade of gray.

It would be such a bitchin' Bowie knife.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cut off the blade and that is straight up a Lego dong

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hell if the blade is thin enough, you could probably slot it between minifig legs. Maybe that's the intended purpose.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Sockser posted:

Cut off the blade and that is straight up a Lego dong

Light Gun Man posted:

Hell if the blade is thin enough, you could probably slot it between minifig legs. Maybe that's the intended purpose.

You people have troubles.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Flavor Bear posted:

The only thing I want from the Friends line is for this

to be cast in a shade of gray.

It would be such a bitchin' Bowie knife.

You can get vinyl dyes that change the colour to whatever you want. There's a thread on Classic Castle about it.

ChocolateMoose
Feb 10, 2011
So, what is you goons opinion on the Heroica boardgames?

I checked out the introduction vids on the lego website (which are pretty well made, btw) and it seems like a fun little dice-rolling game, but it seems like you should get at least all 4 boards for some decent playtime.
(i'm talking out of the box - no custom rules)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ChocolateMoose posted:

I checked out the introduction vids on the lego website (which are pretty well made, btw) and it seems like a fun little dice-rolling game, but it seems like you should get at least all 4 boards for some decent playtime.

It's about 15 minutes of mini-dungeon-crawling straight out of the box. A single set is enjoyable enough, but I assume that (as with most LEGO) it's more fun if you get more sets.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ChocolateMoose posted:

It's moderately entertaining, mostly luck, and rather simplistic until you add your own rules.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

ChocolateMoose posted:

Myself and 2 other buddies have weekly Heroica sessions at mine after getting all 4 sets for Xmas.

Out of the box it's a simplistic little game, but it allows for A LOT of expansion via the route of customised rules and items/monsters.

Definitely worth getting the 4 at once.

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
I won the Bounty Hunter Assault Gunship 7930 a couple weeks ago on ebay, $28 NIB. Retail $49.99. Looked at it a couple times in the store, but didn't want to pay $50 for it. Saw on ebay one day with only a couple minutes left and a low bid. set my max for $30 and logged for the night. Couldn't believe I won. I feel for the guy who sold it, they seem to be going in the low 60's. I still haven't heard from him and it took him a week just to mail it. It came this weekend. I put it together last night, actually one of the coooler looking Star Wars models.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Bounty-Hunter-Assault-Gunship-7930

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Is there any place that sells the same string Lego uses in bulk? Bricklink doesn't have much, costs a lot (for string), and rarely lists the length.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hamburlgar posted:

Myself and 2 other buddies have weekly Heroica sessions at mine after getting all 4 sets for Xmas.

Out of the box it's a simplistic little game, but it allows for A LOT of expansion via the route of customised rules and items/monsters.

Oh god, I didn't need to know about this.

I'm going to visit my sister this week and these games look absolutely PERFECT for playing with my nephews.

Not that I wont play them with my nerd friends too.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

ineptmule posted:

Oh god, I didn't need to know about this.

I'm going to visit my sister this week and these games look absolutely PERFECT for playing with my nephews.

Not that I wont play them with my nerd friends too.

I bought a Heroica set for a friend's kids for Christmas. Two girls 5 and I think 8. We told our friend "Hey, give us a call when you open it." The next day, he calls around 3pm. "The girls opened it up around 7 this morning. We've been playing all day. This is the first chance I've had to call."

Your nephews should have a blast.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Repeat, but in case people missed here's a first look at the Lego LotR stuff. Pretty pumped for that.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp, I'm back out of my Dark Ages LEGO wise. picked up two of the 6910(green sportscar/truck) creator sets, and the 7050 Alien Conquest Defender(wich is a really cool build btw).

Built them, then decided that I should leave them for a while.
in the span of about an hour the creator sets got sacrificed to the MOC god and it ate the little alien speeder as well.
The gun from the alien was used for the center of the yellow spaceship.

Sorry for the lovely webcam pic, it's all i got. might remake the bigger ones in LDD since those are actualy possible in it. the smaller tractor very much is not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Saint Sputnik posted:

Still no S6 anywhere in northern Indiana, though a Ft Wayne area target is selling S5 at 2/$4. And the Walmart in Columbia City had two Alien Motherships for $30 each, so I got one.

Have you tried Intergalactic Toys? Mike can probably get them in if you ask.

Also I work at Clem's and have a box of S5 warming the counter, I'll probably start marking them down shortly.

UngorEatStefan
Oct 23, 2004
Street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.
Just an update for Pittsburgh AFOLs since I requested info earlier: Target, Toys R Us and Learning Express in the Robinson area all are carrying Series 6. So hopefully the Target in East liberty will start carrying them as well.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I finally broke down and bought some Friend's sets. Yesterday I didn't give a poo poo about pink bricks, today I don't have nearly enough.

Two minutes after I uploaded the photos, I remembered that Emma can wear a standard mini-fig flight helmet. Oh well, I'm used to thinking of changes after the fact.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hate sets missing minifig parts more than any other kind of part. M-my sandtrooper! :qq:

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Hamburlgar posted:

We ended up buying all 4 Heroica sets, but you can actually get all the different heroes with only "Waldurk", "Nathuz", and "Fortaan". Obviously you'll get more monsters and track and stuff with the 4th set.

We've been playing them and they're lots of fun out of the box (with the "dungeon-master" esque rule that's in the official book), but BoardGameGeek (and other sites) have lots of variant rules. (Many of them are awful, but we stole a few and tweaked them until we liked them. Things like "random" dungeons via a roll table, how to make monsters wander fairly, etc)

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Light Gun Man posted:

More fun to to chop the top off a yellow rounded-end 1x4 antenna and glue it on? It's what they did in LEGO po...you know what? Never mind.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So how is Heroica with two players? I'm interested in it but I really don't have anybody to play it with other than my girlfriend.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
It's a Gundam!

Here it is from the back.

Here it is with a friendlier paint job.

And here's another paint job, for good measure.

I had sooo much fun making this.

Edit: and I ended up making another one! Multiple accessories and two different backpack attachments!

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 7, 2012

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Travis343 posted:

So how is Heroica with two players? I'm interested in it but I really don't have anybody to play it with other than my girlfriend.

It's fun. But it can get a bit stale. I prefer to team-up and make a hard dungeon and try to conquer it. Set yourself a certain number of deaths and play as a psuedo-dungeon master. I think the rule of moving monsters to intiate their combat whenever someone rolls a skull is a good idea (Quest Heroica from the links above).
I find the 4 Heroica sets too small and not chaallenging enough though. I'll be adding in Magma monsters, Lava dragons, Giant scarabs and spiders as bosses with extra health soon. And maybe allowing for players to save their heroica rolls for later use.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I had sooo much fun making this.
why my oh my, is this an o'neill cylinder?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

So it showed up today :woop:

I think I was secretly hoping that it wouldn't be perfect, so I wouldn't feel bad about building it, but besides some dust gunk on the big black pieces, everything is pristine, right down to the spare parts. It literally looks like someone just pulled it out of the box yesterday.

I spent a while on the weekend carefully extracting this beauty from the other used lot I picked up. I had to pillage a number of parts from my own stash, and I still ended up about 6 pieces short, but good enough to sail around on the floor a while.

These will probably both end up in SA-Mart/CL soon, if my architecture classes ever cut me a break :(

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sloppy posted:

the classic hole-y bags! :swoon:

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Local Target here in Australia has heaps of Super Heroes lego at the moment. None of it really appeals to me unfortunately.

Quite a few boxes had been opened and the contents removed. I pointed these out to some staff.

Dirty rear end holes stealing it probably just to put the minifigs on Ebay.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Rhyno posted:

Have you tried Intergalactic Toys? Mike can probably get them in if you ask.

Also I work at Clem's and have a box of S5 warming the counter, I'll probably start marking them down shortly.

Yeah let me know, I find myself at Apple Glen every weekend or so.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ingram posted:

Quite a few boxes had been opened and the contents removed. I pointed these out to some staff.

This is a terrible crime. See if the store will sell the damaged boxes cheap.

My local Target also has Super Heroes, although no Lex Luthors :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

Sloppy posted:

God, the gold/black triforces take me back. :shobon:

click to visit my metal detecting blog - updated 6/17/2012