Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

jillyputty posted:

This is Tsutomu Yamaguchi. He survived not one, but BOTH atomic bombs dropped on Japan during WWII. He was on a business trip to Nagasaki for the first, then back home in Hiroshima for the second. And he lived to be 93. Totally bad rear end. Here's an article about him.

In addition, being a double hibakusha must have been a horrible experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sandia engineers create ‘self-guided’ bullet

At 4 inches long and a half-inch in diameter, the bullet directs itself like a tiny guided missile and can hit a target more than a mile away.

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Did you completely forget The Great Escape or something? Or The Getaway?

You got me thinking about these great McQueen films.

The Magnificent Seven

The Cincinnati Kid (Fantastic gambling movie)

The Thomas Crown Affair

Le Mans

Honestly, there is no one today that even approaches his level of "bad rear end". Here are some more facts about Steve. Here are many more.

1. Trained in Tang Soo Do
2. Had a pilots license.
3. Served in the Marine Corp.
4. Was a pall bearer at Bruce Lee's funeral.
5. Was slated to play John Rambo in "First Blood" but died before filming began.
6. Was on President Richard Nixon's "List of Enemies" in 1972.
7. A member of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame.
8. Disliked horses: "When a horse learns to buy martinis, I'll learn to like horses."
9. Nickname: "King of Cool."
10 His last words: "I did it."

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

My god, it's all coming true!

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Are you telling me CSI actually got something right?

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Dusseldorf posted:

Seriously though, pretend this post is all of Bullitt.

But see it anyway.

Let's not forget that he did all of his own driving in Bullitt.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Since we're on the subject of McQueen, one of the blogs that I read on a regular basis, called the Selvedge Yard, has a pretty dope feature on McQueen. Here's a couple of pictures from the post.

Playing Frisbee between shooting scenes

With his Ferrari

Getting ready to go for a ride.

The whole post has some decent pics, a little more goofy at times than badass, but it's still worth checking out.

http://theselvedgeyard.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/steve-mcqueen-hollywoods-own-true-son-of-liberty/

Ruckby
Aug 25, 2009

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

Let's not forget that he did all of his own driving in Bullitt.

He didn't though. About half of the "badass McQueen facts" are just made up.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
McQueen is the epitome of "Dress well, but look like you don't give a gently caress."

Edit: VVV That's not a bad idea, actually. If I ever get my rear end into better shape, I'll consider fixing the butt on my jeans so the ladies and stare at mine while I stare at theirs. It's only fair. VVV

Butt Savage has a new favorite as of 00:40 on Feb 5, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Butt Savage posted:

McQueen is the epitome of "Dress well, but look like you don't give a gently caress."
Very much. In fact, he was obsessed with his attire to the point of customizing his Levises (or was it Lees) in order to make his butt look nicer :3:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Coke-era Martin Scorsese on the set of Taxi Driver with big fat gun and a bunch of grapes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guy Fleegman
Jul 8, 2009

by XyloJW

Ruckby posted:

About half of the "badass McQueen facts" are just made up.

Not to start a piss fight or such but what do you base that claim on?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I don't know about half, but Steve McQueen didn't do the driving for Bullitt because I've heard interviews with the stunt driver talking about how hard it was to do the turns in the finale going so fast. McQueen drove all the closeups, though. That's still pretty drat badass.

EDIT: Source - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704698004576104001598265530.html

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Holy poo poo Its a real life Aim-bot :stare:

LOO
Mar 5, 2004

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

I don't know about half, but Steve McQueen didn't do the driving for Bullitt because I've heard interviews with the stunt driver talking about how hard it was to do the turns in the finale going so fast. McQueen drove all the closeups, though. That's still pretty drat badass.

EDIT: Source - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704698004576104001598265530.html

I stand corrected. Good article, by the way.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The article says the bullet can make up to 30 corrections a second.

...But, it's a bullet. Doesn't that total like, one correction?

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
The M2 machine gun has a muzzle velocity of 890 m/s, at a range of one mile (~1600 metres) that allows for 54 corrections in the time from the bullet leaving the muzzle to impact, a flight time of ~1.8 seconds. In reality it would be a longer flight since the bullet is losing speed from the moment it leaves the muzzle of the weapon but this is a reasonable approximation :science:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

pw pw pw posted:

The article says the bullet can make up to 30 corrections a second.

...But, it's a bullet. Doesn't that total like, one correction?

Crazy-fast bullets can go about 5,000 feet per second, so 30 corrections is pretty helpful.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Also a 4 inch long projectile is going to weigh significantly more than any normal .50 BMG bullet, so the muzzle velocity is going to be a lot lower without a commensurate increase in powder charge.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just a hand? Click on it until you get the full sized image (3 clicks); It's the actual sized hand print of late arm wrestler Cleve Dean. Cleve was 6'8" and around 460lbs.

Should look something like this;

I has a new favorite as of 08:42 on Feb 6, 2012

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

I posted:

Just a hand? Click on it until you get the full sized image (3 clicks); It's the actual sized hand print of late arm wrestler Cleve Dean. Cleve was 6'8" and around 460lbs.

Should look something like this;

Either I have monster hands or it is only life sized - and impressive - if your monitor is at a specific resolution (pixels per square inch).

EDIT: Looks like you added a second picture while I was posting that adds context. drat.

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out
Crosspost from the "cute & uplifting" thread:

Gorilla Salad posted:

I love all the big cats. Might not be 'cute' in the traditional sense, but they're absolutely magnificent. I love the way they can transform from 'playful kitty' to 'inescapeable savage death' in an instant. Well, I love it from a safe distance.

:stare:

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

I posted:

At full size it's the same size as my hand (I'm 168lbs and 5'11").

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

beato posted:

Wow, you probably look like a freak. The tips of my fingers barely come up to the first joints on his fingers, and I'm 5'10, 160.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

beato posted:

Really? Try clicking that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Y'all do realize that that appears different sizes on different-sized monitors, right?

ASL NIGGA
Nov 26, 2009

by T. Mascis
Jesus some of you are stupid.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Trig Discipline posted:

Y'all do realize that that appears different sizes on different-sized monitors, right?

Blarg.

Content because why not:

RangerScum has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Feb 6, 2012

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

scamtank posted:

Really? Try clicking that.

I don't know if you're being serious but my fingers are a good inch or two longer than his when i put my hand up to the screen.

Edit: Okay, I found the real sized picture. My hand is the same length as his, but he's just really fat so his sausage fingers and giant palm make his hand look huge.

I'd call that more of a Fat-rear end picture than a Bad-rear end picture.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 19:22 on Feb 6, 2012

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

RCarr posted:

I don't know if you're being serious but my fingers are a good inch or two longer than his when i put my hand up to the screen.

Click it and it should take you to the imgur page. Click it again and it should take you to just the image. Click it again to zoom out and that's the actual size.

The resolution is the same for everyone on the third click, regardless of monitor size. I honestly think a lot of you people are saying you're bigger because you haven't clicked the image enough times to get to the actual size.

His hand is huge. If your hand is that huge, might I suggest a career in wrestling?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

The resolution is the same for everyone on the third click, regardless of monitor size. I honestly think a lot of you people are saying you're bigger because you haven't clicked the image enough times to get to the actual size.

You have no idea how monitor resolution works, do you?

Here's the image with an 800x600 screen:

Again, on a 1366x768:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cat Facts

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

MeinGott posted:

Cat Facts

http://facts.cattes.us/

Your one-stop shop for sms cat facts.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Edminster posted:

You have no idea how monitor resolution works, do you?

Here's the image with an 800x600 screen:

Again, on a 1366x768:

I guess I don't. The resolution size at the top of both of those screens displays the same. I assumed that the window, if it could not handle showing the full image, would use scroll bars and you'd still get the same size.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I guess I don't. The resolution size at the top of both of those screens displays the same. I assumed that the window, if it could not handle showing the full image, would use scroll bars and you'd still get the same size.

The catch is that the individual pixels are different sizes on different screens. Pixels can range from 1/72nd of an inch (older CRTs and early LCDs) to 1/100th of an inch (current-generation LCD computer displays) to 1/300th of an inch (high-end mobile devices like the iPhone 4). The image will come out at a different physical size on each one.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Majestic Bear Song posted:

Holy poo poo Its a real life Aim-bot :stare:

Made me think of this, plus the Runaway poster up above. Fun Fact: The main baddie in Runaway was Gene Simmons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZIY-LiT_Ps

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

Edminster posted:

http://facts.cattes.us/

Your one-stop shop for sms cat facts.

Does this cost money, apart from the first sms you send?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Click it and it should take you to the imgur page. Click it again and it should take you to just the image. Click it again to zoom out and that's the actual size.

His hand is huge. If your hand is that huge, might I suggest a career in wrestling?
I honestly didn't think about different monitor sizes.
For actual size comparison, his hand is 10" long from the base to the end of his middle finger and his wrists were 12" round.
For comparison, Andre the Giant's hand were 13" long (possibly 16") and his wrist 13" round.

Get a tape measure, that should give a better idea of scale.

Edit: on the subject of huge mitts... arm wrestler Dennis "sausage fingers" Cyplenkov.

I has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I posted:

I honestly didn't think about different monitor sizes.
For actual size comparison, his hand is 10" long from the base to the end of his middle finger and his wrists were 12" round.

Get a tape measure, that should give a better idea of scale.

Well I'm 5'9, 170 pounds, and my hand is over 8" from the base to the end of my middle finger. Obviously this dude is A LOT bigger than me, so I expected these MASSIVE CRAZY GIANT hands to be a little bit more than 2 inches longer than mine.

I'll admit that those hands are fat as gently caress though. I bet he cant even pick his nose with those sausage fingers.

RCarr has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Feb 7, 2012

• Locked thread