Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hexen (or as its described on my cable guide, Haxan) is on TCM right now. I thought this movie was lost and also German. The title cards are in Norwegian or Swedish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

twistedmentat posted:

Hexen (or as its described on my cable guide, Haxan) is on TCM right now. I thought this movie was lost and also German. The title cards are in Norwegian or Swedish.

Haxan is the correct title. It's a Swedish/Danish film, and it has never been lost, but there's a few different edits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

penismightier posted:

Haxan is the correct title. It's a Swedish/Danish film, and it has never been lost, but there's a few different edits.

Ah, maybe I heard something like the origonal full cut is missing or something akin to Metropolis.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

twistedmentat posted:

Ah, maybe I heard something like the origonal full cut is missing or something akin to Metropolis.

That's not the case either. There's a shorter cut from the 60s or 70s that had a jazz score. Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with Faust? That one is German and has a spotty history, and it's pretty easy to blur those names together.

Haxan does look like it should have some crazy behind-the-scenes story, though, doesn't it?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The truncated/narrated version goes by the title Witchcraft Through the Ages. It's not as good as the original. The Criterion DVD includes both versions. Very cool movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Got to see the longer version of Haxan at the Silent Movie Theater in LA. I was expecting to roll my eyes but was pleasantly surprised.

Detective Thompson posted:

The Hays Code at least forced writers to find ways around certain prohibited things, and some of them came up with some drat sharp stuff.

A musician friend of mine said that he feels more creative when he's in a badly equipped studio because the limitations force him to think more. I like how this idea applies to film as well.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Detective Thompson posted:

The Hays Code at least forced writers to find ways around certain prohibited things, and some of them came up with some drat sharp stuff.
There's a Hitchcock film where fireworks equal orgasms.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

A musician friend of mine said that he feels more creative when he's in a badly equipped studio because the limitations force him to think more. I like how this idea applies to film as well.

The lead developer for Magic: The Gathering has said something very similar, concerning how to design and develop cards. The more restrictions on what designers can do (green cards can't do X, blue cards are good at Y), the more interesting result.

Onto a movie question:

Where can I find some information how the size of camera lens (or is it the film itself? I dunno...) influences the end result of what's being filmed? I'm watching the Underworld: Evolution commentary (shush), and they talk a bit about how smaller sets look bigger on a 10, 12, 14mm lens.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

MisterBibs posted:

The lead developer for Magic: The Gathering has said something very similar, concerning how to design and develop cards. The more restrictions on what designers can do (green cards can't do X, blue cards are good at Y), the more interesting result.

Onto a movie question:

Where can I find some information how the size of camera lens (or is it the film itself? I dunno...) influences the end result of what's being filmed? I'm watching the Underworld: Evolution commentary (shush), and they talk a bit about how smaller sets look bigger on a 10, 12, 14mm lens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angle_of_view

Here you go. Short answer, the focal length largely determines the field of view, which is what I assume they're talking about there. As the field of view widens approaching 180 degrees, the image bulges to allow more of the sides to fit, as it were, and you start to get that distorted, bubble look. 10mm would usually be considered ultra-wide angle, almost fisheye (think 2001: A Space Odyssey), so if they're shooting in a small room, more than one wall would be visible and they would appear to be farther away. The neat thing is that it works both ways: as you narrow the field of view with a zoom lens, it compresses and flattens the image, so that it's harder to judge the distance between objects. Kurosawa loved using that, and it's used for a lot of practical effects, e.g. the arrows striking the wall "close" to Mifune's face in Throne of Blood, or making Frodo look way shorter than Gandalf when he's really just sitting further down the table.

The best way to figure out how it all works is to just buy an old 35mm SLR camera with a couple of lenses off ebay and go to town, something every person should do at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MisterBibs posted:

Onto a movie question:

Assuming that it was shot on 35mm film, at least in still photography, lenses shorter than 50mm can create visual distortion, making things appear farther away. Also the longer the lens the closer background things appear to the foreground. Somewhere there is a gif that demonstrates it pretty easily.

Edit: Found the gif, it's in this post don't know what the rules are about image leaching off someone who all ready put it up on SA, but I figured better safe than sorry.

double edit: A little more explanation. The parts where the houses appear very far away were shot with shorter lenses (10mm, 14mm) when the houses are closer likely a telephoto lens was used (200mm or longer). The photographer was laso having to move the camera farther away as longer lenses were used to keep the main subject the same size. You can see how the beach looks a lot bigger when the smaller lens is used. (I'm guessing on the focal lengths in the example, but as a general rule, in still photography, when shooting on 35mm film, a 50mm lens will produce an image comparable to what the human eye sees.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 25, 2012

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
OK I have no idea why this popped into my head just now... and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask...

I'm looking or a movie... kind of a sci-fi horror movie. I'm guessing I saw it on TV around 1978-1982, on a local tv show "Shock Theater" with Dr. Creep. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Creep#Shock_Theater

I'm pretty sure the movie was in color. It was about a man and a women who drive into town in a convertible, and they are lost or have car trouble or something. There are very few and strange people in the town. Some how this couple begins feeling trapped in the town. They get there car fix or want ever and try to "escape". They take the road out of town and as they get to the edge of town they think they almost hit a car head on, but they stop short and realize it was the reflection of their own head lights on this clear barrier... like a force field, but I think this was actually solid like glass or plastic. I think they go back to town and pretend they didn't try to "escape". They return to the barrier at different times and try to go around it or break through it, but they can not. Somehow it becomes known that aliens are responsible for keeping them there and brainwashing the town. They come up with the great idea of tunneling under the barrier but soon realize it goes deep into the ground as well.

And that's all I remember.

It's sounds like a Twilight Zone Episode to me... but I'm almost positive it was a full blown movie. I think it was color but it may have very well been black & white.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Thenipwax posted:

There's a Hitchcock film where fireworks equal orgasms.
And the train entering the tunnel in North by Northwest just as Roger and Eve get all hot and bothered...

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

So, I was getting ready to start a post for A Serious Man in the recommendation thread, but then I had a thought that I never really thought of before. I'm actually a little ashamed I never asked myself this before, either.

Is God the serious man from the title? I know that Sy Ableman is referred to as a serious man in his eulogy, but I'm pretty sure the description fits God in the film. He doesn't give a poo poo about your petty problems, he isn't going to help you out when you gently caress up your life, but if you start trying to play God and get vindictive on other people to teach them a lesson (which is God's job, not yours, Job), then he lets you know how insignificant you really are.

This question is probably just an excuse to hear people talk about A Serious Man.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Voodoofly posted:

So, I was getting ready to start a post for A Serious Man in the recommendation thread, but then I had a thought that I never really thought of before. I'm actually a little ashamed I never asked myself this before, either.

Is God the serious man from the title? I know that Sy Ableman is referred to as a serious man in his eulogy, but I'm pretty sure the description fits God in the film. He doesn't give a poo poo about your petty problems, he isn't going to help you out when you gently caress up your life, but if you start trying to play God and get vindictive on other people to teach them a lesson (which is God's job, not yours, Job), then he lets you know how insignificant you really are.

This question is probably just an excuse to hear people talk about A Serious Man.

My Coen Brothers blu-ray set came in from the UK today, so I was planning on watching that one tonight. I'll keep this in mind.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

My Coen Brothers blu-ray set came in from the UK today, so I was planning on watching that one tonight. I'll keep this in mind.

Wait a minute, what set is this?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Wait a minute, what set is this?

A Serious Man, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, Barton Fink, Intolerable Cruelty.

Region free and a little over 20 bucks, shipped.

Edit: And from what I can tell, Barton Fink isn't even available on Blu-Ray in America.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

A Serious Man, The Big Lebowski, Burn After Reading, Barton Fink, Intolerable Cruelty.

Region free and a little over 20 bucks, shipped.

Edit: And from what I can tell, Barton Fink isn't even available on Blu-Ray in America.

Yeah, I want it just for a decent version of Barton Fink, because the DVD is pretty crappy in its own right.

Please let me/us know about the quality of that pack.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

OK I have no idea why this popped into my head just now... and I guess this is as good a place as any to ask...

I'm looking or a movie...

Could it be The Bubble?

Here's a clip (in anaglyph 3-D):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwKBxOXY9c

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My question is for the movie Warrior it contains a spoiler Tommy flees and goes AWOL while in IRAQ how the gently caress did he get to Pittsburgh? Like uh, that doesn't make sense at all.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Could it be The Bubble?

Here's a clip (in anaglyph 3-D):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzwKBxOXY9c

Wow... That sounds like it but I don't remember the scene you linked or anything about an airplane. Thanks though... kind of makes me want to watch The Bubble now.

EDIT: I found this...

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/16004-Anyone-remember-a-movie-like-quot-The-Dome-quot

Some people there are on the same track... some aren't. This though...

"""Yes I remember this movie, but not the title. I remember the couple ended up in this town and she had a baby but no one in the town talked and they all went to eat communally in weird booth. The sky always looks strange as if viewed through plastic wrap. Finally the couple try to get away and they see a car coming toward them and stop but it is just their headlights reflected in the dome. As much as they dig they can't get under it."""

is dead on. Except I don't remember her having a baby, but this is definitely the movie I am thinking of.

FrankeeFrankFrank fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 26, 2012

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Sicilian Clan? I recorded it off of HBO, and was kind of surprised to find that it's dubbed in English. But I don't know if that's the original release or not. Is there an original version out there, or is this the "official" release?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Voodoofly posted:

Yeah, I want it just for a decent version of Barton Fink, because the DVD is pretty crappy in its own right.

Please let me/us know about the quality of that pack.

A little slow on this, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. All of the individual blu-rays look pretty great; Barton Fink is a nice upgrade in quality from the DVD, but I wouldn't necessarily call it reference quality. The newer movies (particularly Burn After Reading and A Serious Man) are pristine.

There aren't any notable special features, though, and the packaging is some of the cheapest I've ever seen. I keep having trouble just closing the box itself, and one of the disc holders is already broken.

Still, at that price point, I don't regret the purchase at all. Just maybe look into replacing the case.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

morestuff posted:

A little slow on this, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for. All of the individual blu-rays look pretty great; Barton Fink is a nice upgrade in quality from the DVD, but I wouldn't necessarily call it reference quality. The newer movies (particularly Burn After Reading and A Serious Man) are pristine.

There aren't any notable special features, though, and the packaging is some of the cheapest I've ever seen. I keep having trouble just closing the box itself, and one of the disc holders is already broken.

Still, at that price point, I don't regret the purchase at all. Just maybe look into replacing the case.

Good to know. I haven't bought a DVD or Blu-Ray in quite a while, but when the itch needs scratching again I'll look out for this.

More importantly, what did you think about A Serious Man?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Hollis posted:

My question is for the movie Warrior it contains a spoiler Tommy flees and goes AWOL while in IRAQ how the gently caress did he get to Pittsburgh? Like uh, that doesn't make sense at all.

Given that he seemed to be homeless at the start of the movie, I'm guessing he just snuck back into the country somehow. As far as I recall the film doesn't mention how much time has passed between him going AWOL and the beginning of the film.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In A Simple Plan Lou (Brent Briscoe) is awfully amused by the punchline "A Piiiiiiinnnneapple". Is that the punchline to a real joke, or is it something along the lines of Beavis (Beavis and Butthead) completely loving up the punchlines to jokes? Lou seems to be the type of character who fucks up everything he comes into contact with so I was wondering if that punchline was just just to establish him as a character that doesn't take important stuff very seriously or if there was more to it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

SkunkDuster posted:

In A Simple Plan Lou (Brent Briscoe) is awfully amused by the punchline "A Piiiiiiinnnneapple". Is that the punchline to a real joke, or is it something along the lines of Beavis (Beavis and Butthead) completely loving up the punchlines to jokes? Lou seems to be the type of character who fucks up everything he comes into contact with so I was wondering if that punchline was just just to establish him as a character that doesn't take important stuff very seriously or if there was more to it.

I simply took it to be a dumb joke that these guys found hilarious but is so trivial that we as the audience don't need to be bothered with its details.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ClydeUmney posted:

Has anyone ever seen the movie The Sicilian Clan? I recorded it off of HBO, and was kind of surprised to find that it's dubbed in English. But I don't know if that's the original release or not. Is there an original version out there, or is this the "official" release?

There's definitely a subtitled version out there, but I don't think it's ever been released in North America.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

What are the essential De Palma movies? I've mostly just seen his bigger releases (Carrie, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Mission: Impossible, Mission to Mars) and want to dip into his other stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No better place to start than Dressed To Kill or Body Double.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No better place to start than Dressed To Kill or Body Double.

Seconded.

I'd also add Carlito's Way to the list.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dressed to Kill and Sisters are both pretty fantastic. I remember Carlito's Way being good too, but it's been a while. I'm sorry I'm too late to stop you from seeing Mission to Mars.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My personal favorite minor DePalma movie is The Fury.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Watch the first 10 minutes of Snake Eyes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Dressed to Kill and Sisters are both pretty fantastic. I remember Carlito's Way being good too, but it's been a while. I'm sorry I'm too late to stop you from seeing Mission to Mars.

I was in the middle of a 14-year-old Asimov/Clarke sci-fi phase when it came out, so I remember being pretty forgiving of its obvious flaws.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I was in the middle of a 14-year-old Asimov/Clarke sci-fi phase when it came out, so I remember being pretty forgiving of its obvious flaws.

Really? Because I feel like the sharp drop in both scientific realism and overall quality from Asimov/Clarke to Mission to loving Mars would've made me start frothing at the mouth if I were you.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Femme Fatale is still my favorite DePalma movie. For better and for worse, his films are always, well, batshit nuts in some form or another, especially his overtly Hitchcockian films (because all of his films are Hitchcock to a degree). Femme Fatale uses that batshit nuts to the best possible effect.

I'd say Body Double is its closest counterpart in DePalma's work, although I haven't seen all of his movies.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 9, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Really? Because I feel like the sharp drop in both scientific realism and overall quality from Asimov/Clarke to Mission to loving Mars would've made me start frothing at the mouth if I were you.

I really only remember the ending reveal and Tim Robbins' big scene, so it obviously didn't stick with me that much.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there anywhere I can find who provided the voice of the guy who started the Celebration dance number in Shaolin Soccer's English dub? There seems to be nothing in the credits, imdb, or anything else. It's streaming on netflix and the guy starts talking at 14:19, if anyone wants to give it a shot.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there anywhere I can find who provided the voice of the guy who started the Celebration dance number in Shaolin Soccer's English dub? There seems to be nothing in the credits, imdb, or anything else. It's streaming on netflix and the guy starts talking at 14:19, if anyone wants to give it a shot.
Found him.

1. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1961378/
2. http://voicechasers.com/database/showprod.php?prodid=2998
3. http://voicechasers.com/database/showactor.php?actorid=1188

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

morestuff posted:

What are the essential De Palma movies? I've mostly just seen his bigger releases (Carrie, Blow Out, Scarface, The Untouchables, Mission: Impossible, Mission to Mars) and want to dip into his other stuff.

Body Double is one of my personal favourites. It relentlessly plunders from Hitchcock, it is full of DePalma signatures (spinning cameras, escalators, surveillance, masks, random hookups) and it also features my favourite DePalma signature: it's willfully sleazy at times. C'mon, this film has a Frankie Goes To Hollywood sequence, what are you waiting for?

Sisters is a must see because it sticks to the formula. It's also a straight up bizarre film but it has art film pretensions in a good way. I wish I could put to words why, but I feel a bit of Fassbinder in this film.

The Fury is interesting because DePalma quotes from himself (what do you after making the definitive movie about telekinesis? If you're Brian DePalma, you make another movie about telekinesis!). It also has my favourite John Cassavettes scene ever at the end.

Dressed To Kill is a no-brainer too. You can't really say you've seen DePalma's "bigger releases" unless you've seen this one. It's got the DePalma formula down pat (there's a great random hookup in this one), it pilfers from Hitchcock in a wonderful way and well ... it's got Michael Caine. DTK also has the best notice from an STD clinic ever put to film in it.

Dark horse nomination:

Femme Fatale is often maligned, but I enjoyed it, mostly because DePalma returned to his willfully sleazy style in it. If you watch it in the context of his other films, it's not nearly as bad as so many people say. AS Voodoofly suggests, it's wonderful batshit DePalma -- once you've developed a taste for that.

NOTE: when I say that DePalma uses a formula I mean it in a great way, like a master chef who specializes in one style and does it better than any other.

BONUS DEPALMA TRIVIA: DePalma very nearly directed Flashdance. I would love to see DePalma's Flashdance.

:swoon: DePalma :swoon: