Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Anybody know about the hiring process for the Border Patrol? I hear the turnaround is far quicker (more like 3 months as opposed to 1-2 years) and I'm trying to get my foot in the door (and, coincidentally, also want to work for the Border Patrol). They're supposedly going to start having vacancies this summer, so I'm curious if anyone has more information on the Border Patrol hiring process, specifically, how long it takes to actually go to training from when you begin the hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sorry, one other question, what's the best way to apply to a particular committee? I'd love to work for the House or Senate Ag Committees, but I can't find any applications. Do you just have to know someone?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Mons Hubris posted:

What do you do about transcripts on these things? My university/law school don't give unofficial transcripts to alumni, and they ask for an address to send them to. If I request one to be sent to the HR person associated with a given job and it doesn't arrive by the cutoff date, am I screwed?

I guess I could just request a couple official transcripts to be sent to myself and scan 'em in for the future, too.

Scan your official transcripts onto your computer and submit them electronically as needed.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mune posted:

Anybody know about the hiring process for the Border Patrol? I hear the turnaround is far quicker (more like 3 months as opposed to 1-2 years) and I'm trying to get my foot in the door (and, coincidentally, also want to work for the Border Patrol). They're supposedly going to start having vacancies this summer, so I'm curious if anyone has more information on the Border Patrol hiring process, specifically, how long it takes to actually go to training from when you begin the hiring process.

I went through it up to the security investigation (got a different job offer before they started it, when the guy called me up and asked if I still wanted the job I explained it and that was that).

I signed up for the test in late summer, sat it on a Friday in October, got my results the following Monday... and heard absolutely nothing until mid February. Then more nothing, then a demand to schedule a physical within a week in early May or scrap my application entirely, then more nothing until the security investigation guy called me out of the blue in June. At the time the federal budget was up in the air and while the guy said they were trying to push through clearances as fast as they could (I already had a Secret, but also had 3 years overseas that would have really complicated the process), from going off the other info I found at the time it looked like my EOD would likely be 9+ months down the line, assuming CBP didn't get hosed by the budget, and I made it through all the requisite hoops.

Basically, my choice was to take a guaranteed non-government job that paid 80% of what I'd make as a CBP Agent (albeit overseas and tax-free, with living subsidies) and start the next month, or keep working my dead-end job and living with my parents for probably another year or so and going slowly to pieces and hoping the government would finally come through. I have a service obligation to the federal government (thanks Boren scholarship) so I may have totally hosed myself out of a lot of money by backing out, but by that point I was really burned out on the whole federal job runaround and wasn't about to turn down a real job elsewhere. The background investigation guy who had gone over my file said I'd be a much better fit for State (easily true, but much harder to get into), so I'm sitting the FSOT in two weekends.

I haven't been following the forums or anything since, but I really doubt it's as low as 3 months. Background investigations take time, as does coordinating the test/interview/physicals for recruits. Maybe less than a year, but I'd be surprised if it was less than 6 months unless there was a *huge* push and accompanying funding.

I found the written test pretty easy and scored a 96 on it, but be sure you study the material ahead of time, especially if you didn't have Spanish in high school (the artificial language portion). The reasoning one can also trip you up if you don't review the study guide and just go off your initial gut assumption.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 30, 2012

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Sorry, one other question, what's the best way to apply to a particular committee? I'd love to work for the House or Senate Ag Committees, but I can't find any applications. Do you just have to know someone?

Committees don't hire on USAJobs (nothing in Congress proper does). Check the House/Senate Employment Bulletins. Committee jobs don't open up that often, though - the entirety of House Ag's policy shop is probably 25 people.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Perfect, thanks guys.

It's just a shame UNC's loving piece of poo poo registrar takes at least 2 weeks to even begin processing transcript requests. Oh well, maybe some other spots will open in a month.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

:words:

Awesome response, thanks man. I have my secret clearance already and should have my TS/SCI hopefully soon as well. I just hope it works out for me.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Thought I'd pop my head in this thread, since my current job in Healthcare IT is starting to stagnate.

I'm a veteran, held a TS clearance 4 years back (I'm sure I could get it back), and I'm an IT generalist superstar as far as Windows networks are concerned. I was wondering if anyone knew about sysadmin jobs around Boston. Probably not the most popular place in the world for government jobs but still a tech-heavy area and some defense contractors. Is pretty much everything on USAJobs? I specifically want something with a security clearance because a plain-jane IT job would probably see me take a pay cut up against my current 50k/yr job.

I'm a bit overwhelmed though, it gives me a migraine to read through all the obnoxious military-speak in the job descriptions. Is there any chance that I can give my resume to some decent headhunter who can actually find stuff for me?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Have you tried Clearancejobs? Also try posting in the SH/SC jobs thread.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It says I can't register for clearancejobs.com if my clearance isn't still active, no exceptions. They're kinda cocks about it. I'll try that thread though, thanks!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's dumb, given how easy it is to reactivate a security clearance. You can also include "with security clearance" at the end of any job search on Indeed and it will filter by jobs requiring one.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
So my US security clearance is still active. I'm guessing because of an embassy job I applied for.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Zero VGS posted:

Thought I'd pop my head in this thread, since my current job in Healthcare IT is starting to stagnate.

I'm a veteran, held a TS clearance 4 years back (I'm sure I could get it back), a

Clearances are only good for two years after you leave an agency or the military. I can't find the specific cite on the dss.mil website, but it is in the FAQ for clearancejobs.com.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Clearances are only good for two years after you leave an agency or the military. I can't find the specific cite on the dss.mil website, but it is in the FAQ for clearancejobs.com.

Right, but the process to reactivate it once you've had it is a lot easier than getting one the first time around.

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

So I've finished my first three days as a federal employee. All I can say is there is a ton of briefings to read through, and internal courses to complete. It is interesting to see how all of the long time employees really enjoy what they're doing, and can show how they moved up the career ladder internally.

I hope that, once training is completed, I will love what I do. Maybe I can even move to the job path I would like to follow eventually...or at least something that is closer to home, and not a 2 hour commute on metrobus, metro and MARC with a dash of the circulator in Baltimore Even though it is a wait, it is way better than having no mobility at all, like it was in my old job.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

NintyFresh posted:

:words:

It sounds like you're in a really good work environment. Literally everyone in my office is on USAJOBS looking for and applying for new positions on a daily basis. Maybe it has something to do with our director trying to slap every single person in the office with the same generic letter of reprimand for "observed unethical behavior and language" (edit: although he did retract it when each of us refused to sign it, but damage done).

I got 12 referrals in january, and I've expanded my search from california/nevada/oregon to include Germany, washington state, arizona, maryland, virginia, pennsylvania, and the carolinas.

I can't get the hell out of here soon enough.

Drewski fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 2, 2012

DataSage
Nov 10, 2005

Sorry for the interruption, but this is a revolution.
Perhaps you fine goons could help me. I'm in need of some help. Badly.

I have a Masters of Science in Emergency Planning and Administration from an accredited institution (I know, shut up). I've been interested in working for FEMA, but I've put in sooooo many apps over the past year on USAJobs and I'm getting nothing in response. Now, I know it's not my CV/Resume (my sister works in HR as well as my aunt), and yes I qualify for these jobs, so what's the deal? Could it possibly be that I have a stained resume? I'm going on 4 years of unemployment, post-graduate degree. I'm really getting to that :smith: point. I just don't know what to do anymore, and would really appreciate the help.

Thank you, and sorry if a similar post has been made and missed the response.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Have you tried applying to state and local agencies?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

One other general question for federal jobs:

If there's a posting for multiple pay grades, say GS-5, GS-7, and GS-9, and you're qualified for all 3 and check all the boxes, will they only evaluate you for the top grade or will they let you compete with the people who only applied for the lower grades? I applied for a Patent Examiner position and I have a JD, which would start me at a higher grade, but I'd be willing to take a lower one if it means my odds of getting selected are better.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mons Hubris posted:

If there's a posting for multiple pay grades, say GS-5, GS-7, and GS-9, and you're qualified for all 3 and check all the boxes, will they only evaluate you for the top grade or will they let you compete with the people who only applied for the lower grades? I applied for a Patent Examiner position and I have a JD, which would start me at a higher grade, but I'd be willing to take a lower one if it means my odds of getting selected are better.

I don't know, but I just went in for an interview for a job where I unequivocally qualified under the terms of the highest grade but they said they were only hiring for the lowest one.

They also asked if I could cancel my Reserve duty in order to work Saturdays (salaried position, listed as 40 hours/week). So gently caress these guys.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

Mons Hubris posted:

Applications will often ask what pay level is the lowest you are willing to take. My guess is they will only consider you for that level and higher.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

DataSage posted:

Perhaps you fine goons could help me. I'm in need of some help. Badly.

I have a Masters of Science in Emergency Planning and Administration from an accredited institution (I know, shut up). I've been interested in working for FEMA, but I've put in sooooo many apps over the past year on USAJobs and I'm getting nothing in response. Now, I know it's not my CV/Resume (my sister works in HR as well as my aunt), and yes I qualify for these jobs, so what's the deal? Could it possibly be that I have a stained resume? I'm going on 4 years of unemployment, post-graduate degree. I'm really getting to that :smith: point. I just don't know what to do anymore, and would really appreciate the help.

Thank you, and sorry if a similar post has been made and missed the response.

Are you a veteran? Many entry-level jobs go to qualified veterans because they have veteran's preference and are entitled to extra points in the scoring process.

Do your sister and aunt work in federal HR offices? If not, you can pretty much ignore their input. A 10 page resume would be instantly tossed in the private sector, but it can be almost mandatory in the federal hiring process.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JohnnyHildo posted:

Are you a veteran? Many entry-level jobs go to qualified veterans because they have veteran's preference and are entitled to extra points in the scoring process.

Do your sister and aunt work in federal HR offices? If not, you can pretty much ignore their input. A 10 page resume would be instantly tossed in the private sector, but it can be almost mandatory in the federal hiring process.

From what I understand, the veteran's points are only applied at the very last stage.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm hoping this thread can help me with a few pointers (either as advice, or literal "point in this direction") to land a job.

I recently graduated in August 2011, earning my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. I've been actively looking for a job related to my field online, including USAJOBS, but so far very few opportunities have come up.

I have no prior law enforcement experience, because as interested as I am in the field, I have no intention of becoming a police officer. I was hoping more to achieve something more behind a desk, like a fingerprint examiner (I have a certificate from a one week course) or an investigator.

I recently spoke with two of my professors, who recommended a couple of jobs like Probation Officer, Child Protection Team, Public Service Aide, and so on. They also highly recommend that I go to law school, which is something I am considering, but only if I can obtain a job now instead of leeching more money from my parents.

So far I've been using both USAJOBS and Indeed to search and apply for jobs, but I've yet to hear back from any agencies, retail or federal. I live in Florida, and would prefer to stay in Florida, but I'm not against looking elsewhere if it means a better chance of gaining a high paying career.

I'm really hoping you guys can help me out in any way you can. It's becoming quite discouraging, especially when two of my friends who also graduated in Criminal Justice insist that there is no market for our profession (they both gave it up and became managers at their respective companies). I don't want the degree to go to waste though, and I really want to start working (I've been unemployed for three years). I still have no idea exactly what I want to do the most with my degree, but I'm willing to settle for a decent position now while continuing to shoot for higher prospects later.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Zero VGS posted:

I'm a veteran, held a TS clearance 4 years back (I'm sure I could get it back)
I found out the hard way that if you let a TS clearance expire (that'd be 6 years after the clearance was first granted) you have to have it all run through the system again from scratch basically. For contractors, this means an extra $30k+ in costs to them unless they're a really large contractor that gets their clearances subsidized now by the feds. The exceptions are if you went through government or as a contractor to get your clearance. The clearance I had was through government and unless I was going to go back into government, I'd have to start all over again with an entirely new SF-86 with no information shared between the FBI and the contractor's system. Because I'd get a pretty severe paycut (about 40% given the GS grade jobs I'd be eligible for) to go back into government service, I'd only do it as a matter of desperation. And if you're applying to a contractor, they'd rather take someone that has little experience with a clearance and train him up than to wait for you to get a TS clearance back in possibly more than a year.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

From what I understand, the veteran's points are only applied at the very last stage.

When I've reviewed referral lists, the preference points have already been added to the numeric rating. Other agencies may do things differently.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Three more applications in today! One of these has got to come through for me, right?

...:smith:

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

Mons Hubris posted:

Three more applications in today! One of these has got to come through for me, right?

...:smith:

It'll happen someday. I thought everything was going into a black hole, then I got two job offers within a month of each other with competing start dates one pay period apart.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Primoman posted:

I recently graduated in August 2011, earning my Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. I've been actively looking for a job related to my field online, including USAJOBS, but so far very few opportunities have come up.

So far I've been using both USAJOBS and Indeed to search and apply for jobs, but I've yet to hear back from any agencies, retail or federal. I live in Florida, and would prefer to stay in Florida, but I'm not against looking elsewhere if it means a better chance of gaining a high paying career.

First, my condolences on the CJ degree.

What series are you looking under? 1800's? 0100's?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Haven't used any series or grade settings: I just put my zip code and see everything that's available within my area.

Assuming everyone's feelings are unanimous that the CJ degree is a wash, is there any other degree or certification that I could earn under a year that would broaden my chances?

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Primoman posted:

Haven't used any series or grade settings: I just put my zip code and see everything that's available within my area.

Assuming everyone's feelings are unanimous that the CJ degree is a wash, is there any other degree or certification that I could earn under a year that would broaden my chances?

It's pretty much true. If a few of my fellow TSA coworkers can go from checking bags for a few years to working for the US Park/Capitol/Smithsonian Police without any college, then your best bet would be to get some kind of entry level job in the gov and get your years in. Then move up the ladder like that.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Delorence Fickle posted:

It's pretty much true. If a few of my fellow TSA coworkers can go from checking bags for a few years to working for the US Park/Capitol/Smithsonian Police without any college, then your best bet would be to get some kind of entry level job in the gov and get your years in. Then move up the ladder like that.

Any suggestions on what those jobs might be? I don't want to be a police officer, but I also don't want to be a custodian either. I'm hoping there's some kind of middle-ground job that puts me behind a desk or otherwise.

I would be willing to just give up getting a federal career altogether if my degree at least gives me an unrelated opportunity that pays a higher than average salary. The same friends who told me that a CJ degree does me no good to get a federal job also state that "just you having any kind of Bachelor's broadens your chances".

I just need to find out what those chances might be.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Primoman posted:

Have you considered the military? That would be a great way to get relevant experience.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The thought has crossed my mind more than once, but as much as I'd hate to admit it, I know I would also get homesick real fast.

My entire family is stationed in Florida. My youngest sister has a job in Louisiana, and not a day goes by where she doesn't wish she was back home. That said, she has made a name for herself over there, and she gets plenty of visits.

But considering how hard it was for her to move there versus me joining the military and being shipped off who knows where, I know it wouldn't go so well.

I'm not 100% certain how military practices work these days, so if it was a guarantee I would remain in Florida without being suddenly assigned to the other side of the planet, then I would certainly look into it further.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Primoman posted:

The thought has crossed my mind more than once, but as much as I'd hate to admit it, I know I would also get homesick real fast.

My entire family is stationed in Florida. My youngest sister has a job in Louisiana, and not a day goes by where she doesn't wish she was back home. That said, she has made a name for herself over there, and she gets plenty of visits.

But considering how hard it was for her to move there versus me joining the military and being shipped off who knows where, I know it wouldn't go so well.

I'm not 100% certain how military practices work these days, so if it was a guarantee I would remain in Florida without being suddenly assigned to the other side of the planet, then I would certainly look into it further.

Don't look into the military, if the thought hasn't crossed your mind already, don't let it now, if you do feel like you need to join, check out the joining the military thread in GIP.

Now having said that, if you want to find entry level positions, just make an advanced search and limit the paygrade to max GS-7, that should cover what is considered entry level.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Primoman posted:

I would be willing to just give up getting a federal career altogether if my degree at least gives me an unrelated opportunity that pays a higher than average salary. The same friends who told me that a CJ degree does me no good to get a federal job also state that "just you having any kind of Bachelor's broadens your chances".

A bachelors degree gets you GS-5, >3.6 GPA gets you a GS-7. Most entry level jobs do not care about your major.

But that's to qualify. In the current job market, you will be competing against veterans, those with relevant experience and those holding masters degrees. Apply everywhere (it's free after all), wait a three years, then apply to those jobs for current Federal employees only.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

bengy81 posted:

Don't look into the military, if the thought hasn't crossed your mind already, don't let it now, if you do feel like you need to join, check out the joining the military thread in GIP.

Now having said that, if you want to find entry level positions, just make an advanced search and limit the paygrade to max GS-7, that should cover what is considered entry level.

Why not look into the guard or reserves?

Then you get the training/experience and you get to stay close to home, minus a few deployments here and there.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Evil SpongeBob posted:

A bachelors degree gets you GS-5, >3.6 GPA gets you a GS-7. Most entry level jobs do not care about your major.

But that's to qualify. In the current job market, you will be competing against veterans, those with relevant experience and those holding masters degrees. Apply everywhere (it's free after all), wait a three years, then apply to those jobs for current Federal employees only.

That seems to be the popular opinion. Basically, I shouldn't give up the idea of landing a CJ degree, but it isn't something that can conceivably happen this year.

So I think I'm going to bite my tongue and focus on retail and other positions. I'm hoping that with my degree and five plus years of retail experience (in a grocery store), I can land something that's a big higher in the totem pole...like a Manager.

I don't want to derail this thread with non-federal discussions. Is there a general jobs thread where I can inquire further with my plans?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Primoman posted:

That seems to be the popular opinion. Basically, I shouldn't give up the idea of landing a CJ degree, but it isn't something that can conceivably happen this year.

Ok, I'm confused. Do you or do you not have a bachelors in CJ? Because I highly recommend you shitcan that major unless it's something you really, really are interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Typo, that should say "landing a CJ job".