Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hockey players can be so dumb.

Guy shows up to play last night with maybe a foot of tape left on his roll and a naked stick. Catch him in the lobby whining about the pro shop being closed despite it being 10 'o clock at night.. me and one other guy try to offer him some but he turns us down because our tape is white and he only uses black.

"Sorry no white tape, I'm old school, black tape only." :smug:

I would have thought the wrong color tape was better than no tape but APPARENTLY NOT.

Result was he stood around near the endboards all night looking grumpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe shouldn't be admitting this but I wore another dude's jock (which was clean and unsoiled!) that was too small and probably lowered my sperm count just so I could play. (Obviously, I forgot mine at home.) Basically the guy who won't play because his tape isn't the right color is dumb and weird. Why would he stick around to watch?

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Gio posted:

Maybe shouldn't be admitting this but I wore another dude's jock (which was clean and unsoiled!) that was too small and probably lowered my sperm count just so I could play. (Obviously, I forgot mine at home.) Basically the guy who won't play because his tape isn't the right color is dumb and weird. Why would he stick around to watch?

Masochist.

Or he thought he pouty face would net him some old school black tape.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

To be fair, I'd be furious if I ran out of yellow and black for my bumblebee tape job. White tape is for chumps.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 3, 2012

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm sure your teammates wouldnt.

lol just kidding.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Our pro shop had 50% off everything on New Year's Eve. Grabbed shin pads (up to 17" from 15") and a poo poo load of tape. Trying to keep my stash of clear tape a secret from my teammates for now.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
Anyone buy a boatload of roller pucks recently and aware of a deal going on? Preferably IDS but anything would work, just trying to work on my shot and my 3 pucks aren't enough.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

Anyone buy a boatload of roller pucks recently and aware of a deal going on? Preferably IDS but anything would work, just trying to work on my shot and my 3 pucks aren't enough.

Buy 5 or more for slight discount
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/IDS_Pro_Shot_Roller_Hockey_Pucks/descpage-IDSP.html

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

Yeah I saw that, thanks. Hockey Giant will give you 10% for 10 or more, too, bringing the cost per puck down to like $6. I'm probably just being overly cheap but was hoping to get it at a cost of about 4-5/puck.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

Yeah I saw that, thanks. Hockey Giant will give you 10% for 10 or more, too, bringing the cost per puck down to like $6. I'm probably just being overly cheap but was hoping to get it at a cost of about 4-5/puck.

I honestly think pucks have gone up in the last couple of years. I remember buying some pro pucks for 5.45 a puck. I have like 15 of them

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Look Around You posted:

Well I mean you're definitely not going to see an immediate advantage if you're used to a heavy flex and if you don't take time to get used to it. The best solution would be to go to a stick time or two and just mess around with it if you can.

The thing is, at 135, you're almost certainly not going to be able to load up a 100 flex stick enough for your shots to get the most power out of them.

This may be a technique issue then. Softer flexes (well, and composites in general) are able to help you out a lot more if you know how to load them up properly; if you're not getting any flex on your stick then it's not going to do much good. Part of this may be from learning on a stiff flex -- it may have been a lot harder for you to get any flex at all, so it doesn't seem like you would have gotten the chance to learn how to properly load your stick for a shot.

These are all assumptions though since none of us have ever seen you play, and I'm certainly not saying you're a lovely player! (I am not a great player yet myself so it'd be pretty hypocritical if I was going out and saying you suck)

I don't want to come off snarky here, because I am looking for advice, but I know my technique is fine since I've played fairly high level hockey. I've had lots of coaching in how to shoot, but it's all a long time ago now, like 6 years back at least. There's obviously still things I can learn, which is why I'm asking. Back when I played competitive hockey I was on the ice 5-6 days a week, not counting reffing.

I do try to get out to pick up about once every couple of week, but my work schedule interferes most of the time. My team only plays once every ten days so it pretty much works out to once a week. As well, I usually get out on the outdoor rink once a week, but that's no place to use a good stick, since in the cold here you just snap composites like they're twigs.

I can sure as poo poo load a 100 flex just fine at 135 lbs, especially on slap shots. One of the bigger problems with the 85 flex is that I fall down after the slap shot, the shot goes wild and is therefore useless unless I do like a half slapper. The half slapper is admittedly amazing now, and is probably the only benefit I'm seeing from the stick.

Basically, having talked it through here, I think the problem is that I'm so used to loading the hell out of the stick that I'm pushing it too hard. It works with the stiff stick obviously, but needs to be adjusted for the whippier stick. If I saw any benefit for the wrist and slap shots, I'd certainly say that this was a useful trade.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What they're saying is that your technique for that flex stick is poor. Not that your technique overall is poor.

I'm not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel. If you've had plenty of proper instruction and have a solution that works at a certain flex, why would you listen to a bunch of people on the internet, many of which started picking up hockey as an adult and/or without proper instruction?

Put another way, what is wrong with your game currently? What are you trying to fix or work on? Are you sure changing stick flex will help?

I would say this -- even with proper instruction many years ago if you want a better shot in any and all aspects, you should be shooting more. Get a shooting mat, a net, and a bucket of pucks for home. Go wild.

EDIT: also, do as another goon did and video it. That'll help everyone a lot more than stabbing at the dark without really seeing what you're talking about.

Surfing Turtle
Jun 18, 2004
I'M A TURTLE AND I'M SURFING, THAT'S CRAZY!
I wish I could load/flex a 100flex stick. I bought one by accident cause I wasn't paying attention and it was pretty much unusable for me. Ended up having to give that stick away.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

sellouts posted:

What they're saying is that your technique for that flex stick is poor. Not that your technique overall is poor.

I'm not sure why you're trying to reinvent the wheel. If you've had plenty of proper instruction and have a solution that works at a certain flex, why would you listen to a bunch of people on the internet, many of which started picking up hockey as an adult and/or without proper instruction?

Put another way, what is wrong with your game currently? What are you trying to fix or work on? Are you sure changing stick flex will help?

I would say this -- even with proper instruction many years ago if you want a better shot in any and all aspects, you should be shooting more. Get a shooting mat, a net, and a bucket of pucks for home. Go wild.

EDIT: also, do as another goon did and video it. That'll help everyone a lot more than stabbing at the dark without really seeing what you're talking about.

I get what you're saying in regards to technique for that flex, thanks.

Unfortunately, i live in an apartment building, so shooting a ton of pucks is pretty much impossible. The reason I want to reinvent the wheel, so to speak is two-fold:

1. Everyone, not just dudes on the net all use and suggest whippier sticks.
2. I feel that my snap shots in particular should be better. I realise that I'm not shooting enough, but am more looking for instruction on that.

I'll look into getting a video made next weekend.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I live in apt too. It sucks. I got one of those collapsable EZ Goals and can throw it (barely) into my Highlander. I keep it at work because we have a warehouse but could keep it on my balcony. I will say it has held up to me taking wristers and snappers pretty well, with minor denting.

When I want to shoot, I drag it out to the local elementary school basketball court and put the net up against the wall of the gym. No one has stopped me yet, but I also live in a perpetual season of spring/summer, so it's a lot more practical for me to say it and stay out there long enough to warrant dragging a net to/from my car.

But yeah, it sucks. When I made the decision to change patterns because they didn't make my stick anymore and it finally broke I just fired a ton of pucks and it worked itself out. Was nice to do it without the pressure of a game or drop in.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I live in an apartment too and I did the 5000 pucks thing last summer, it ruled. I got the same goal as sellouts (though I also have a smaller Shooter Tutor that I dragged out on a more regular basis), and I would go to the outdoor paved "inline rink" by my apartment complex in the park and put on my skates and get my gloves and stick and shoot a shitload of those Ice Guy pucks that are the right weight for ice hockey but glide well on the pavement. It was great and it definitely improved my shot quite a bit, and also my stickhandling since after too long of shooting I usually wanted to do some stickhandling drills too.

edit: I've been playing since I was four and have also played at a high level and had plenty of coaching and such in shooting. It still really, really helped.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 4, 2012

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I ended up with Warrior KGB sticks.. I split a 3 pack with a friend and paid $82 per stick.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Drop-in is only so fun when you don't have 2 goalies.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
I find I dont have to change my technique between an 87 and 102 Bauers?

Maybe pay a bit more attention on slapshots to keep the puck down but other then that I don't change my game at all.

I'd use an 87 all the time if I could afford to replace them, since they wear out to a point where I dont like using them a lot faster then the stiffer shafts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Minister Robathan posted:

1. Everyone, not just dudes on the net all use and suggest whippier sticks.

For what its worth all of the 4-5 guys I play with who have the best shots all use sticks that are north of 100, as do I. Until you start getting into some really crazy stiff territory the limiting factor of how much energy you can get into that shaft isn't the stick, it is the shooter. In other words, it comes down to what feels best for you, as there isn't any physical benefit to using a more flexible shaft.

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Minister Robathan posted:

One of the bigger problems with the 85 flex is that I fall down after the slap shot

Wait, really? I think we found the problem.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gigabitnokie posted:

Wait, really? I think we found the problem.

I imagine this is entirely possible if he is really flexing a 100 stick at 135lbs. He must be doing everything short of jumping down on top of it to get it to fully flex...

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Once I get paid I'm dropping some cash on 2 S19 Zetterbergs. I can't wait :toot:

edit: actually I didn't see the EQ50 deal until now. Hmm.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 5, 2012

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
110 FLEX. Don't want to ever change. Honestly, I just need to switch to a one piece, or install the blade myself. Stupid hockey shop being stingy on the glue.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I asked this earlier but is there any way to put a replacement blade on a one piece composite? Mine is splitting along the bottom of the blade and if I could I'd like to cut it off and replace it but I don't know if it's exactly an option. It's an x:60 if it matters.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Depends -- it's usually possible but the stick will be really stiff. Not sure about the X:60 though, I haven't done this in years and not sure how tapered the shaft gets / where you'd have to cut it down

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Usually for composites you have to flip the stick over and put a blade in the handle/shaft. Changes the flex point of the stick as well. I'd recommend just spending the extra cash and getting a new one-piece.

Man...I wonder how many carbon-fiber trees have to be felled every year to satiate our desire for maximum performance?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Usually for composites you have to flip the stick over and put a blade in the handle/shaft. Changes the flex point of the stick as well. I'd recommend just spending the extra cash and getting a new one-piece.

Man...I wonder how many carbon-fiber trees have to be felled every year to satiate our desire for maximum performance?

I dunno, must be a whole forest every year what with all the NHL players. Maybe that's where the carbon rainforests are going!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008
I once spent an entire summer living in a carbon fiber tree.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

gigabitnokie posted:

I once spent an entire summer living in a carbon fiber tree.

I hear those things flex like crazy in a strong wind!

gigabitnokie
Dec 2, 2008

Pleads posted:

I hear those things flex like crazy in a strong wind!

Nah it was a 100 flex and I only weigh 150, no biggie.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody here have one of the new Easton 65S sticks? They're only a hundred bucks but they're supposed to be pretty good and durable. Basically a slightly heavier RS with a bit more durability.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

gigabitnokie posted:

Nah it was a 100 flex and I only weigh 150, no biggie.

this is genius

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I ordered that EQ50 on Thursday and it showed up on my porch today. Not bad for USPS and being cross-country.

By request of sellouts, here's a shot of its wicked brand new tape job.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

So my never-ending quest for a great stick continues, and since I can no longer find a one-piece S19 to my liking, I went with with a two-piece Vapor APX combo, 87 flex and Stamkos pattern. I'm going to play tomorrow and I'll let you all know how it is.

There's something about one-piece sticks that I can't bring myself to purchase one anymore.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I ordered that EQ50 on Thursday and it showed up on my porch today. Not bad for USPS and being cross-country.

I had to ref your team's game last night by myself for most of the first period.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Good news: Got 2 goals tonight in our playoff game
Bad news: The other team got 3.

Cause of the loving super bowl and the fact that we had about 5 guys on our team go to it, thanks EA for giving them free loving rides, they all got back in today and 3 of them decided they were pussies and couldn't make our game tonight. Thankfully the other 2 decided to come so we were lucky to have 3 guys on the bench while they had a full bench.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

I had to ref your team's game last night by myself for most of the first period.

I was talking to #11 (dude who got the shorty) today. He said he was hammered drunk and he got away with a few offsides during the first, haha.

That team used to be our kryptonite before this season. Oh how the tables have turned. Of course, it helps that our goalie is currently serving his suspension and we have a better sub filling in.

So pissed I had to miss the game. It's been a week since I've been on the ice and I'm itching to get back on it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Keep posting pictures of whatever you want as long as that dog is in them :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Nothing like the feel of freshly baked skates on my feet.

My soon to be little brother in-law works at total hockey and just got my skates in over the weekend. I think in going to need my left extended like a quarter size though and some new foot beds are definitely in order.

Amazing how much lighter they are than my 7 year old bauer vapors.

Now just have to wait for this week to go by so I can go play some outdoor hockey this weekend.