Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Each book of the Eragon series is 2 credits.

It took me until my phone autocorrected Eragon to Dragon to realise how Paolini named his main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Tithin Melias posted:

Each book of the Eragon series is 2 credits.

It took me until my phone autocorrected Eragon to Dragon to realise how Paolini named his main character.
Eragon is so loving bad its amazing how you can ape lord of the rings and star wars in one series.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

blakout posted:

Eragon is so loving bad its amazing how you can ape lord of the rings and star wars in one series.
To be fair and since this is the audiobook thread, the narrator for Eragon is pretty decent other than his dragon voice which is dumb as poo poo especially for a girl dragon. The book, however, is pretty underwhelming.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Has anyone listened to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? It keeps popping up on audible and I might pick it up with this round of credits.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

What's the best audiobook edition of The Lord of the Rings? Also, The Hobbit.

You could try the 1999 BBC radio dramatisation of it . Its 13 hours long and you can download it free and legally from http://radioarchive.cc. Registeration needed I think.

Hobbit is on there as well

The General
Mar 4, 2007

!10 hours of it is just nature sounds to simulate walking through the woods.

McBeth
Jul 11, 2006
Odeipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.

Clinton1011 posted:

Has anyone listened to The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern? It keeps popping up on audible and I might pick it up with this round of credits.

I liked it, I listened to it nonstop some weekend ago.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The General posted:

!10 hours of it is just nature sounds to simulate walking through the woods.

The Blair Witch Project audiobook. :downsrim:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Clinton1011 posted:

When the Wheel of Time books are first released they are but it looks like the last book is already 1 credit.

? I've bought the last 3 or 4 WoT books as audiobooks day of release, and I don't remember them being multiple credits. I may be misremembering though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

fordan posted:

? I've bought the last 3 or 4 WoT books as audiobooks day of release, and I don't remember them being multiple credits. I may be misremembering though.

Speaking solely for book 12, it was a single credit on release.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
You guys are right it was The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson I was thinking of, it's still listed as 2 credits.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hey, if you're looking for a remarkably good book I suggest reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It fantasy and probably one of the best books I've ever read. The person doing the reading is also amazing and has interesting and distinct voices for every character and keeps them straight.

You're in for a lot of listening though. The first book is more than 27 hours long. Luckily, it is only a single credit. The second book is 43 hours and is still a single credit. :catstare:

I have to say that this is the first series in a long time to both make me laugh like a madman and shed some tears as well. If you buy one series this year, buy this one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hey, if you're looking for a remarkably good book I suggest reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It fantasy and probably one of the best books I've ever read. The person doing the reading is also amazing and has interesting and distinct voices for every character and keeps them straight.

You're in for a lot of listening though. The first book is more than 27 hours long. Luckily, it is only a single credit. The second book is 43 hours and is still a single credit. :catstare:

I have to say that this is the first series in a long time to both make me laugh like a madman and shed some tears as well. If you buy one series this year, buy this one.

On the other hand, I've listened to both and while I found them interesting, the narrators voice an be too nasally at times. The plot moves at a snails pace and the author loves giving the main character glimpses of happiness, of hope, and then crushing them in front of him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Through some crime of genre literature I never got around to reading Sanderson's Mistborn series, so I grabbed them on audible. The narrator is very solid with a reasonably diverse range of believable character voices, although occasionally he falls into the classic "forgot to stop using the accent when the character stopped talking," foible that seems so common in audiobooks (I bet it'd be hard as hell to keep from doing that now and again.)

The General
Mar 4, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Through some crime of genre literature I never got around to reading Sanderson's Mistborn series, so I grabbed them on audible. The narrator is very solid with a reasonably diverse range of believable character voices, although occasionally he falls into the classic "forgot to stop using the accent when the character stopped talking," foible that seems so common in audiobooks (I bet it'd be hard as hell to keep from doing that now and again.)

I can only remember that happening once or twice. Otherwise it's a solid series, and it really made me a Sanderson fan.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Audible is having a "first of series" sale for $5 each. Highlights include Foundation, Tom Sawyer, Dresden Files, Hyperion, Kingkiller Chronicles, Leviathan, Iron Druid and other stuff. Lots of Sci Fi and Fantasy.

http://www.audible.com/guestauthor/020712SeriesSale

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Syrinxx posted:

Audible is having a "first of series" sale for $5 each. Highlights include Foundation, Tom Sawyer, Dresden Files, Hyperion, Kingkiller Chronicles, Leviathan, Iron Druid and other stuff. Lots of Sci Fi and Fantasy.

http://www.audible.com/guestauthor/020712SeriesSale
Yeah I was coming in to post this same thing. A couple of the series sound interesting enough to check out, although some of them sound pretty abysmal.

The Black Company is in the list, and a couple of other series which sounded interesting. I ended up picking up four novels including the black company, 3 of them were just random stuff that sounded reasonably interesting, including The Last Templar, Patient Zero, and Monster Hunter International. I just bought the Iron Druid Chronicles on kindle, btu I'm tempted to get the first on audiobook just so I can (hopefully) figure out the proper Gaelic pronunciations of stuff.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

coyo7e posted:

I just bought the Iron Druid Chronicles on kindle, btu I'm tempted to get the first on audiobook just so I can (hopefully) figure out the proper Gaelic pronunciations of stuff.
I think I posted it last page but the narrator for Iron Druid is awesome. I really loved his performance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Accidentally posted this in the recommendation thread before I found this one.

I'm looking for fascinating nonfiction audio books on science. I don't need it to necessarily be for the layman, but I'm not terribly well-versed in a lot of scientific disciplines, so many books I see out there seem either too dry, being written for people in those disciplines, or are too philosophical and not based in actual science. I love James Gleik's Chaos but haven't really read anything else that hits the mark as well. I'm specifically interested in the future of life and technology, i.e. nanotech, terraforming, biotechnology, etc.

I know most of what is here is fiction and there's a D&D subforum that might get a greater volume of responses, but all of the book recommendations I see there are far too academic for what I want.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stephen King's The Stand is available today as an unabridged audiobook narrated by Grover Gardner.

It clocks in at a mere 47.75 hours :stare:
As a bonus it's only one credit at Audible.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

I'm looking for fascinating nonfiction audio books on science. I don't need it to necessarily be for the layman, but I'm not terribly well-versed in a lot of scientific disciplines, so many books I see out there seem either too dry, being written for people in those disciplines, or are too philosophical and not based in actual science. I love James Gleik's Chaos but haven't really read anything else that hits the mark as well. I'm specifically interested in the future of life and technology, i.e. nanotech, terraforming, biotechnology, etc.

I know most of what is here is fiction and there's a D&D subforum that might get a greater volume of responses, but all of the book recommendations I see there are far too academic for what I want.
a short history of nearly everything a fascinating trip through the history of science

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I used to think that the longer the better but now I feel a lot of stories could benefit from being abridged, case in point the strand. There is no way that is going to be an enjoying listen for 47 hours. That's just mind boggling

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I'd say it depends on the author and narrator.

If Card had a fifty hour book, read by his usual crew, I'd buy it.

Hell, if you go through a book series back to back (Dune, Tolkien, GRRM, etc.), it's basically the same thing as one long one.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I've listened to the entire Wheel of Time series in audio format but I have stopped listening to much shorter stories and just picked the book up to finish the story. It's really dependant upon the narrator, If they annoy you then you will not be able to listen to them for 30+ hours.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm currently listening to Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey and I'm really enjoying it. It's a sci-fi adventure/mystery story that's been very interesting and fast paced so far. The narration has been great too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

feedmyleg posted:

Michael Pollen, specifically "The Botany of Desire" but pretty much everything by him fits in this. I also think there are a few more books by James Gliek, I believe I read one of his a while aback named "Faster", iirc.

I mostly listen to more history or politics/economics stuff though when it comes to nonfiction.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The "Modern Scholar" series is pretty good for that kind of stuff too.

A food science book that just came out, that I'm listening to right now:

What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained

Bad title in my opinion, given that he was a physicist and mathemetician, and not a chemist.
I think it should have name dropped Alton Brown. :3:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 17, 2012

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco is really good, and the audiobook narrator is great also. Highly recommended.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

coyo7e posted:

Yeah I was coming in to post this same thing. A couple of the series sound interesting enough to check out, although some of them sound pretty abysmal.

The Black Company is in the list, and a couple of other series which sounded interesting. I ended up picking up four novels including the black company, 3 of them were just random stuff that sounded reasonably interesting, including The Last Templar, Patient Zero, and Monster Hunter International. I just bought the Iron Druid Chronicles on kindle, btu I'm tempted to get the first on audiobook just so I can (hopefully) figure out the proper Gaelic pronunciations of stuff.
Finally got around to taking one of these books out of the wrapper (so to speak) and started off with MHI. It's not the world's best writing but it's solid (better than Glen Cook, imho,) fun, and has a pretty good narrator. The story seems fairly predictable but I'm enjoying it through the first third, my only real complaint is how the protagonist seems to be keyed out to be sort of a goony Übermensch, but I imagine that it'll get over that eventually (or take it to the extreme which may be fun, too!) :)

edit: just got to the point where the protagonist is waxing poetic about the woman of his dreams and her immaculate trigger discipline. :swoon:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 19, 2012

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can
Just finished listening to 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami today - absolutely fantastic. The story is strange and very captivating, as Murakami tends to be, and the storyline of Tengo and Aomame's relationship is an interesting take on the starcrossed lovers.
Also, I really enjoyed getting some background on the character of Ushikawa, revealing what a tragic character he really is. The death scene was pretty horrific, but fitting.

Also, gotta love the Murakami metaphors. Two of my favourites:
Ushikawa's ugliness is described as jarring like a centipede in yoghurt.
At one point, looking at the two moons, Tengo's body feels cold and hard like a lonely boulder at the bottom of the sea.

The three narrators do a great job - personally, I'm quite skeptical of audiobook narrators doing very distinct voices for characters unless they are very good voice actors (I listened to the wind up bird chronicles on audiobook as well, and the narrator does this god awful, really high pitched lispy voice for May, a teenage girl), so I really enjoyed the more dry, subtle narrating styles in 1Q84.

Definitely recommend.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

savinhill posted:

I'm currently listening to Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey and I'm really enjoying it. It's a sci-fi adventure/mystery story that's been very interesting and fast paced so far. The narration has been great too.

"It’s been too long since we’ve had a really kickass space opera. LEVIATHAN WAKES is interplanetary adventure the way it ought to be written." - GRRM

I heard that this was good... but I just hate that little sycophant soooooo much.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

el_brio posted:

"It’s been too long since we’ve had a really kickass space opera. LEVIATHAN WAKES is interplanetary adventure the way it ought to be written." - GRRM

I heard that this was good... but I just hate that little sycophant soooooo much.
As you can tell from my tag I had the same prejudices beforehand, but I decided to give it a shot after my father recommended it and it was worth it.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

I've been having trouble finding another audiobook after Prague Cemetery, only because George Guidall is just so drat awesome. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one narrated by him?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

I've been having trouble finding another audiobook after Prague Cemetery, only because George Guidall is just so drat awesome. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one narrated by him?

he does a few Robin Cook thrillers, if you are into that sort of thing. At first I didn't much care for his voice, but it grew on me. I just found out that he reads DUNE, which I should be starting in the next day or two.

He lists a number of books on his website, including ones he is most proud of. I saw an interview of him the other day. I found it really interesting that he has so many followers who will pick books just because he read it. He talked about how he felt he had a responsibilty to pick good stuff for those people.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

The only other one I've listened to was American Gods and that was very memorable.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

He also did Les Miserables if you feel that you need George in your ears for 60 hours and change.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Does anybody else have favorite "readers?"

I generally don't pay much attention to who the reader is, and outside of books in the same serious, aside from Guidell, I don't think i've stumbled across anybody who read two unrelated books.

A few I really liked:

I'm really enjoying Michael Kramer's work on The Wheel of Time series. I'm just about done with the first book, the man is a joy to listen to. The changes he does for different voices can be subtle, but they always tend to work.

I also think that William Dufris did a really good job with Anathem. I don't think I could have finished it as easily with somebody else reading it.

Emanuel Yam
Aug 22, 2004

Take it from our drummer, 'Puff'
Being good it gets you stuff
I've have to recommend 'I, Partridge. We need to talk about Alan' The 'autobiography' of Steve Coogans character (its voiced by him for the audiobook too), its bloody hilarious.

Its the first book ive listened to in my car and ive found i tend to get really into the story and kind of zone out and drive in automatic mode which is a bit of a worry heh.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

Does anybody else have favorite "readers?"

I generally don't pay much attention to who the reader is, and outside of books in the same series, aside from Guidell, I don't think i've stumbled across anybody who read two unrelated books.

Judging by my library, I like Scott Brick, Joe Barett, Michael Kramer, Coleen Marlo, Paul Boehmer, and James Marsters. Marsters and Kramer are known for their series work on the Dresden Files and Wheel of Time/Mistborn books respectively, while the others on my list do all sorts of work. (in addition to Orson Scott Card's books, Stefan Rudnicki does erotica :ssh: ) I've used narrators as a search parameter, to find new books. In fact, you can click right on a narrator's name in Audible to bring up a list. Like any good teacher, having a good narrator makes me want to hear more of their work.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
Just finished listening to Robert Harris' The Fear Index read by Christian Rodska. Think I have slowly become a fan of Robert Harris, I don't really seek out him or in the past I haven't realised I have read other books by him but I feel he writes compelling stories with interesting plots.

The premise was simple the story was about an algorithm or artificial learning machine that was designed for a hedge fund to track and trade according to a perceived fear in the market. The story focuses on the creator Alex and the mystery that surrounds an attempted murder on him self and his descent into fear, paranoia and the effects it has on his work and personal life.

The narrator does a good job of bringing the story to life I would highly recommend you give it a listen