Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
What a good beginner's cookbook for your typical bachelor?

I started cooking to eat healthier, but the problem is, I know jack about cooking, so I've mostly lived off of salads and chicken breasts. Preferably with a focus on simple recipes. I can splurge a bit on ingredients, but I don't have a lot of equipment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

GregNorc posted:

What a good beginner's cookbook for your typical bachelor?

I started cooking to eat healthier, but the problem is, I know jack about cooking, so I've mostly lived off of salads and chicken breasts. Preferably with a focus on simple recipes. I can splurge a bit on ingredients, but I don't have a lot of equipment.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Tsurupettan posted:

Also, I've been trying to find Shirataki noodles in the Tampa Bay area with zero drat luck. :smith: I want to try using it to replace spaghetti and having spaghetti and meatballs. It will never be the same, but I can try. :argh:

gently caress shirataki, kelp noodles are way, way better.

EDIT: To clarify- my husband hates konnyaku and shirataki with a passion. Kelp noodles are odorless and look somewhat like glass noodles, and I feel like they're a better fit in a lot of recipes. You can also toss them with cucumber, sesame seeds, sesame oil, soy sauce, and a bit of ginger, and have yourself a very nice, cooling noodle salad. Shirataki would funk up something like that.

My only caveat is that I don't like their crunch right out of the package, so I tend to cook them for a while and soften them up. My husband is all about the crunch, though, and you might like it, too.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 6, 2012

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
What happened to the "is this safe to eat" thread?

Basically, I realized that the idiot bagger at the grocery store had left two of my steaks and a package of chicken in a bag with a whole bunch of dry goods. Needless to say my lazy rear end tossed the bag of dry goods in the pantry and ignored it until today.

I'm not going to bother with the chicken, but the steaks are both red and the one I opened still smells good. Will the other one keep til tomorrow now that I've thrown it in the freezer? I'm figuring i just wet-aged it 24 hours.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AA is for Quitters posted:

What happened to the "is this safe to eat" thread?

Basically, I realized that the idiot bagger at the grocery store had left two of my steaks and a package of chicken in a bag with a whole bunch of dry goods. Needless to say my lazy rear end tossed the bag of dry goods in the pantry and ignored it until today.

I'm not going to bother with the chicken, but the steaks are both red and the one I opened still smells good. Will the other one keep til tomorrow now that I've thrown it in the freezer? I'm figuring i just wet-aged it 24 hours.
Wet aging is done at a temperature of 0-1 degrees. If a meat spends more than 4 hours in the danger zone (which this obviously has), then it is a bad idea to consume it.

If you're going to eat any of that, at least don't feed it to any kids or anyone that is immunodeficient.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I searched but can't find it, what happened to that wonderful thread were the goon raised rabbits for meat? Did it fall into the archives? I'm researching to start doing it as well.

Looks like it did go to archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3219174

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_pork

Short version: Cider vinegar + ketchup + other poo poo = BBQ sauce. The juices from the hunk of pig make for some drat fine "other poo poo"

I actually throw a good deal of garlic in with the onion while it cooks, and after removing the pork I take a stick blender to the whole mix so the onion and garlic stays in. Turn the crock pot up to high, throw in a can of tomato paste, some red pepper, some salt, some pepper, and a little cider vinegar. Let it reduce a pit and then ladle a bit over the pork in a shallow baking dish to throw into a 200-250 oven for 5-10 minutes to give the pork some crispness and the sauce some stickiness.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Cyril Sneer posted:

Sounds good - whats the wiki you're looking at?

Seriously? :bang:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Wet aging is done at a temperature of 0-1 degrees. If a meat spends more than 4 hours in the danger zone (which this obviously has), then it is a bad idea to consume it.

If you're going to eat any of that, at least don't feed it to any kids or anyone that is immunodeficient.

If things were vacuumed sealed Im sure its all fine, especially if you cooked the poo poo out of that chicken. But theres the gross factor that you cant turn back from. Warm raw chicken for a day, yummmm.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Anybody have a good cabbage soup recipe?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone recommend a good dressing for salad? I'm getting a bit bored by vinaigrettes. I normally make something like olive oil, 50/50 cider/balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, dijon mustard and soemtimes crushed garlic. I don't want a caesar dressing though

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Kenning posted:

Anybody have a good cabbage soup recipe?

http://veganyumyum.com/2007/10/hot-and-sour-cabbage-soup/

I really like this soup! It's tangy and spicy and loaded with veggies.

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*

dino. posted:

Vegan Turnip Green Recipe
I made this last night. You weren't kidding about the need for the splash guard! Hahah. I think I burned the seeds a little, but it was still great (I used vodka). Unfortunately, my wife still didn't like the greens (she picked around them) as they were too bitter for her despite me adding sugar like you suggested. I think I have to resign myself to no turnip greens but I can use your recipe for my swiss chard that should be ready soon. Thanks again!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Socratic Moron posted:

My garden has tons of turnips coming in. However, every recipe I've tried results in rather bitter turnip greens. And 80% of the recipes I've found begin with, "Add 2 cups of turnip greens and 1 pound bacon...". My wife is a vegetarian, so that won't work.

Sweet goons, do any of you have a tasty way to prepare turnip greens for a vegetarian?

Thank you!

Have you considered pickled turnips?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
I'll be in Cancun, Mexico soon for a few days. Should I avoid seafood?

Perhaps I can get more info in the a/t stupid questions thread, but it's food related?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

After going to a nice steakhouse, I have a few bones I'm going to use for stock. However, one of the bones in question is a rib about 2 inches in diameter and over a foot in length. I think I can fit it in my largest pot as is, but I really don't want gallons of stock.

Will cutting the bone down have any negative consequences (and if not, is there a good method for cutting the thing)? Should I just fill half the pot and flip the bone after a couple of hours? Am I over-thinking the whole thing?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Cutting the bone is good, it will let the marrow out. I don't really know what the good way to do it is, I've bashed bones with the spine of a heavy knife to break them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Very Strange Things posted:

Perhaps I can get more info in the a/t stupid questions thread, but it's food related?

Why would you avoid seafood?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
My girlfriend bought some beef steak at safeway. I froze half and we had half for supper. I did it like I do normal steak: butter, steak and a cast iron pan so it was brownish on the outside and slightly pink in the middle.

We had to chew every mouthful for about 30+ seconds, it was stringy as hell and was hard to cut with the steak knives. I had something to spit out after every mouthful, it was just stringy and tough. It looked entirely normal! It's like I got the ligament section of the meat or something.

What can I do with the rest in the freezer? I'm thinking I have to marinade it or something. I have Teriyaki sauce. Good plan? how long do I immerse it for?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why would you avoid seafood?

Because Cancun is on the Gulf. I just assume that a large proportion of the seafood would be taken from there. That's why I'm asking so generally; I don't know if that's true or if the Gulf seafood is even unsafe now, then, or ever.

The FDA says it's fine. Repeatedly. Which worries me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Why would you trust strangers on the internet instead of the FDA?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Socratic Moron posted:

I made this last night. You weren't kidding about the need for the splash guard! Hahah. I think I burned the seeds a little, but it was still great (I used vodka). Unfortunately, my wife still didn't like the greens (she picked around them) as they were too bitter for her despite me adding sugar like you suggested. I think I have to resign myself to no turnip greens but I can use your recipe for my swiss chard that should be ready soon. Thanks again!

I guess some folk just aren't going to like everything, eh? I never thought of turnip greens as being all that bitter. Mustard greens on the other hand. Yipes! It's why I started cooking my greens in that manner--because the bitterness can get overwhelming. Either way, I'm pleased that you've found a different way to make greens that doesn't involve boiling the heck out of them for hours.

One final thing to try. Boil your turnip greens in water for about 5 minutes, then rinse in cold water and drain well before cooking them in any other way. If that still doesn't take out the bitterness, consider it a lost cause.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

redreader posted:

My girlfriend bought some beef steak at safeway. I froze half and we had half for supper. I did it like I do normal steak: butter, steak and a cast iron pan so it was brownish on the outside and slightly pink in the middle.

We had to chew every mouthful for about 30+ seconds, it was stringy as hell and was hard to cut with the steak knives. I had something to spit out after every mouthful, it was just stringy and tough. It looked entirely normal! It's like I got the ligament section of the meat or something.

What can I do with the rest in the freezer? I'm thinking I have to marinade it or something. I have Teriyaki sauce. Good plan? how long do I immerse it for?

You want to cook it low and slow. I don't work with teriyaki, but if you've got any tomato paste, sear it off, throw it in a slow cooker with some tomato paste, water until it reaches a marinara consistency, salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, and basil, and cook it for eight hours or so, then serve the result over rice or thick egg noodles, like kluski.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

redreader posted:

What cut of beef?

Also: Can you explain your butter + steak + cast iron method in more detail?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

If the Red Tide Warning is in effect, then yes.

dj_stopdancing
Feb 20, 2004
I want to make some biscuits with peppers and cheese (asiago or cheddar). I was going to use banana peppers (because I love them), but decided to use Pasilla peppers instead, to decrease the acidity and increase the heat. I figured I'd use 2 peppers for a batch of 12 biscuits.

I don't know much about cooking, so I'm looking for advice on this. Should I roast and skin the peppers, or just chop them and throw them in? Is it better to use dried peppers? Will I need to decrease the dry goods or fats? How much of which? And should I throw the cheese into the mix, or just sprinkle a bit on top a few minutes before they're done baking?

Now that I've typed up all of these questions, I feel like it might be better just to experiment, but I'll throw it on here anyway, in case someone has an awesome answer.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Toast posted:

Seriously? :bang:

GWS does not pop into my head as being a wiki.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Goons With Spoons wiki, of which Toast is the host and administrator, is definitely a wiki. It's also a great resource – there's piles of good food on there.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Anyone know where I can find some really good quality chocolate and/or chocolate powder online, or some good brands to look for on Amazon or wherever?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Scharffen Berger makes really excellent chocolate that has pretty good distribution. Should def. be available online, and you could probably find it locally, assuming you don't live in the sticks.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

dj_stopdancing posted:

I want to make some biscuits with peppers and cheese (asiago or cheddar). I was going to use banana peppers (because I love them), but decided to use Pasilla peppers instead, to decrease the acidity and increase the heat. I figured I'd use 2 peppers for a batch of 12 biscuits.

I don't know much about cooking, so I'm looking for advice on this. Should I roast and skin the peppers, or just chop them and throw them in? Is it better to use dried peppers? Will I need to decrease the dry goods or fats? How much of which? And should I throw the cheese into the mix, or just sprinkle a bit on top a few minutes before they're done baking?

Now that I've typed up all of these questions, I feel like it might be better just to experiment, but I'll throw it on here anyway, in case someone has an awesome answer.
I would roast them. I usually put my oven at about 350 and check them every 20 minutes or so. As for cheese, you can throw cheese in the batter or on top, whichever you're going for. Throwing cheese in the batter will make every bite cheesy, but if you throw cheese on top you can then throw them under the broiler briefly and get some delicious brown cheese. I'm not sure if topping them with cheese and throwing cheese in the batter will be too much cheese, but that's always an option. Good luck!

SuBeCo
Jun 19, 2005
Amazing... Simply amazing...
I want to make stew. Normally I'd use a crappy chewy cut of beef and it would turn into awesome, but I currently only have "lean diced beef". If I stew it will it turn to crap? Should I brown it and then just chuck it in at the end?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Hey guys,

1) Last time I used Boston Pork Butt in my dutch oven it turned out amazing, but kept really poorly. The meat ended up being really tough and rubbery and when I reheated it it smelled like latex. What should I do when it finishes cooking so it keeps better?

2) I still have a lot of fat left over from last time and I'm sure I'll have a lot this time too. Any ideas on what to use it for?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

thehandtruck posted:

2) I still have a lot of fat left over from last time and I'm sure I'll have a lot this time too. Any ideas on what to use it for?

carnitas

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
I have nice thick pork chops with the bone thawing for dinner, and I have to use up my avocados before they spoil. Any suggestions? Grilled chops + guacamole + something something?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Casu Marzu posted:

carnitas

But that's where the fat came from!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Saute some asparagus in the fat. Actually, saute everything in it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

thehandtruck posted:

Confit! Rillettes! Pâté!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Does anyone know if brining a whole chicken overnight to 24 hours will end in disaster? I want to roast it tomorrow and try brining for the first time, but I don't think I'll be able to brine for less than 9 hours due to working times. Does a long brining time negatively affect taste/texture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Socratic Moron
Oct 12, 2003
*sigh*

dino. posted:

One final thing to try. Boil your turnip greens in water for about 5 minutes, then rinse in cold water and drain well before cooking them in any other way. If that still doesn't take out the bitterness, consider it a lost cause.
I'll give that a try, thanks! I live in a very warm environment which may play a big part in the bitterness. I think I'll also try planting a few different varieties of turnips to see if that plays a role.