Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

tinaun posted:

If these are what Dirk-Autoresponder conversations are like, I cannot wait until they meet Dave.
Dave and Davesprite for added copy shenanigans.

Maths notes: Irrational numbers were known to the Greeks, but pi's irrationality was only proved in 1761, and its transcendality (i.e. can't even be written as some sort of combination of square, cube etc. roots) was proved in 1882 (thanks Wikipedia!). The proof that there is an infinite number of primes is in Euclid's Elements.

Thinking about it, naturally a computer would think that pi had an end, or that there's a finite number of primes. They only have finite space to store digits, after all.

Also hehe, sick 'rithms.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
So Dirk's denizen is either 'Delirious Biznasty' or 'Complete Bullshit'

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Pretty sure Delirious Biznasty is a twitter-like, and Complete Bullshit is the world's second-worst content aggregator (the first being reddit).

e/ Boom.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 6, 2012

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Tollymain posted:

So I got linked by a friend to this entry to the music contest. I have to say it's about twenty times better than the thing that was on that Ancestors album.

You know who I want to finally take out the Batterwitch?

Not Jane or Roxy, or any of the kids. Nor any of the trolls like ghost Feferi or Sollux or something.

Nanna. I want Nannasprite to shoot her to death with cookie beams. I have the feeling the Condesce has hurt Nanna more than she has anyone else.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Rooreelooo posted:

So Dirk's denizen is either 'Delirious Biznasty' or 'Complete Bullshit'

BAH!

a debaser
May 9, 2008

Starmaker posted:

You know who I want to finally take out the Batterwitch?

Not Jane or Roxy, or any of the kids. Nor any of the trolls like ghost Feferi or Sollux or something.

Nanna. I want Nannasprite to shoot her to death with cookie beams. I have the feeling the Condesce has hurt Nanna more than she has anyone else.

I second this wholeheartedly.

Other characters I hope get moments of awesomeness before the end - FedoraFreak, Rose's Lizard Wizards.

Armadillos!
Mar 28, 2010

I'm a swimming cat. Have you heard of a candy that gives courage and strength to weaklings? No? I see. But you're a strong goon, so I doubt you would need any.

a debaser posted:

I second this wholeheartedly.

Other characters I hope get moments of awesomeness before the end - FedoraFreak, Rose's Lizard Wizards.

This is where we find out that fedorafreak actually did ascend from dying in his quest hat and ended up journeying off into the farthest ring in search of better pants. And that he's now UU and is guiding the new players.

I mean, a man can dream, can't he? :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Dave/Dirk stuff to come in the future, or rather the Dave/Dirk/Davesprite/AR/who knows maybe some beta selves and poo poo stuff to come in the future, is going to be so great. There's just so much there. It's comically rich, the potential - whole barrels of potential stockpiled in every one of these logs.

Like the 'ironic' pointing stuff out stuff that's going on here that clearly displays how annoyed Dirk is with his Auto Responder (and probably himself), Bro and Dave already had some irony incongruities, Dirk's just going to make it verbal. Or transposing their older brother issues, like Dave's sense of inferiority being in his brother's shadow compared to Dirk's sense of... kind of hard to tell at the moment, actually. Or their differing approaches to copies of themself, where Dirk suffers them and even intentionally creates them, and has a sense of serious responsibility to them, while Dave's reaction is more like a sort of fearful unspoken rejection - he runs when he sees them, he doesn't want to see them die or be reminded of his own mortality.

Actually that's probably the one I'm most interested in, seeing the two argue about alternative selves. Maybe Dirk will think Dave is reckless and irresponsible, not caring for what happens to his beta-selves, while Dave is irritated that Dirk treats it lightly and even makes his own, which is nothing like what Dave has to go through as the Knight of Time.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

Or transposing their older brother issues, like Dave's sense of inferiority being in his brother's shadow compared to Dirk's sense of... kind of hard to tell at the moment, actually. Or their differing approaches to copies of themself, where Dirk suffers them and even intentionally creates them, and has a sense of serious responsibility to them, while Dave's reaction is more like a sort of fearful unspoken rejection - he runs when he sees them, he doesn't want to see them die or be reminded of his own mortality.

The biggest thing I get from Dirk is that he is incredibly lonely. All the Homestuck kids have no friends except those they have online, Dirk lives on his own, his oldest and closest friend is a puppet who he moves to make it seem like it is alive, he builds robots for himself to interact with and fashioned an artificial intelligence so he would have someone else to talk to. Not to mention that he is in love with his only male friend, who probably doesn't feel the same way

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Armadillos! posted:

This is where we find out that fedorafreak actually did ascend from dying in his quest hat and ended up journeying off into the farthest ring in search of better pants. And that he's now UU and is guiding the new players.

I mean, a man can dream, can't he? :(

But I thought that UU is a girl. Unless fedorafreak transcends gender then whatever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Prison Warden posted:

The biggest thing I get from Dirk is that he is incredibly lonely. All the Homestuck kids have no friends except those they have online, Dirk lives on his own, his oldest and closest friend is a puppet who he moves to make it seem like it is alive, he builds robots for himself to interact with and fashioned an artificial intelligence so he would have someone else to talk to. Not to mention that he is in love with his only male friend, who probably doesn't feel the same way

Am I imagining things or did they imply Dave is dead in this world? Roxy and Dirk conversations be hard to follow at times.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Yes, B2 Dave and Rose are dead. Batterwitch killed them.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm starting to think FedoraFreak might be this timeline's Dad, considering the program is being run on his computer.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
So if Terezi served inspiration for Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff, does that mean that there's another Terezi in this new universe since SBaHJ exist in this one? I wait eagerly for the answer.

Lady of the Beech posted:

Yes, B2 Dave and Rose are dead. Batterwitch killed them.

You can't spell 'Batterwitch' without 'Bitch'. :frogc00l:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Eggie posted:

So if Terezi served inspiration for Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff, does that mean that there's another Terezi in this new universe since SBaHJ exist in this one? I wait eagerly for the answer.

Terezi was just emulating what she was seeing in Dave's room. He had already been drawing SBAHJ all over his walls. It isn't really spelled out anywhere except in a few answers about it on formspring and the forums.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Eggie posted:

Dave drew Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff on his dream room's walls, which means he drew them on his actual room's walls as well, but was oblivious to them, as was the case with John and his self-effacing jesters and Rose and the MEOW code.

Terezi probably saw the actual drawings through Trollian (which can see the drawings just like Sburb can) and mimicked them, which inspired Dave to 'create' SBaHJ, which was more like recalling them from his subconscious/dreamself.

edit: my dreamself wrote 'beaten' on his walls, i only just remembered this

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fortis posted:

Dave drew Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff on his dream room's walls, which means he drew them on his actual room's walls as well, but was oblivious to them, as was the case with John and his self-effacing jesters and Rose and the MEOW code.

Terezi probably saw the actual drawings through Trollian (which can see the drawings just like Sburb can) and mimicked them, which inspired Dave to 'create' SBaHJ, which was more like recalling them from his subconscious/dreamself.

edit: my dreamself wrote 'beaten' on his walls, i only just remembered this

Did Jade write anything on her walls without realising it? A few of the trolls did with the code to make Doc Scratch, and Gamzee's addition that isn't meant to be there.

^^^ I don't think that it was that Sburb and Trollian could see the writing, it's that the creators couldn't. Why do you think Dad thought John liked clowns and was always trying to buck up his self esteem? Unless he made a habit of watching his son via magical computer programs.

Slime fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 6, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Slime posted:

Did Jade write anything on her walls without realising it? A few of the trolls did with the code to make Doc Scratch, and Gamzee's addition that isn't meant to be there.

She was aware of her dream self, so I don't think she wrote anything because she'd have to be writing it in her dreams.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

Yes, that is what I imagine a conversation between yourself and your-almost-self, both of which love irony, would sound like.

The ironimeter is off the charts.
We've already seen Dave and Davesprite talking, so we already had an idea about what a one-person ironic conversation was like. Then again, those conversations really were less about irony and more about smug superiority.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There's something quaint and sad about Dave always wanting to be more like his bro and closer to him and Dirk just wishing he had more friends around.

We haven't seen Dirk's transcendence yet but considering how Dave's went I have to think that we are in for a bro-apocalypse when they meet. Especially considering that they both think of each other elder as "bro".

e: The fist bump that will shake the heavens.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
More autoresponder goodness. :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Considering that there's a trend of the various kids thinking of themselves differently than they actually are in reality, I'm wondering if Dirk's 'thing' is going to be that he considers himself a puppet-master while, really, he just does things spur-of-the-moment.

I back up this speculation by pointing out the giant pile of unorganized 'New Folder's on his desktop, which, ironic or not, is terrible.

\/ You could probably argue that, AR could be sabotaging Dirk while also trying to help him. How many times in your life have you wished, in hindsight, that you couldn't talked to yourself and told yourself what a terrible idea you were having?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find it significant that Auto-Responder is lying to Dirk. It's an incredibly tiny detail, but note the different explanations he gives to Dirk and Roxy about why he's talking in red. This gives some hint about the nature of the things he's hiding from Dirk. The thing to be wondering is: what else is he lying to whom about, and why?

Considering that in the light of the recurring theme of hating your past self, those glasses are turning out to be one of the more interesting characters. I suspect there'll be a need to review his private conversation with Roxy repeatedly.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 7, 2012

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

There's pretty much no way AR isn't getting prototyped at this point.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kit Walker posted:

There's pretty much no way AR isn't getting prototyped at this point.

AR will be prototyped. Then Davesprite will put it on.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

I clearly just want to be a good friend and bring all my AMAZING FRIENDLINESS to bear on your problems.
Well, is AR dead or doomed?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
And here I thought Hussie didn't have ways of making readers sad besides killing trolls off.

It's kind of a downer how lonely Roxy and Dirk are :smith:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Well, is AR dead or doomed?

He's inanimate, which is the third type of thing that tends to get prototyped (harlequin doll, princess doll, Cal, Frog Temple head).

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Dirk really needs somebody to be his friend and/or guardian who isn't himself or something he made himself. :(

Here's to hoping he least tries to hook up with Jake.

^ Oh yeah, you're right. I think of AR as something of a living entity, so I didn't think of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wow, Dirk seems to be actually losing his poo poo.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

Am I the only person who admires the colors of chatlogs?

Like, I look and I think, "ooh, their colors look really nice together!".

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Am I the only person who admires the colors of chatlogs?

Like, I look and I think, "ooh, their colors look really nice together!".

Every time Roxy and Dirk have a chat in pink and orange I get a hankering for Dunkin' Donuts.
:goonsay:

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.

Nate RFB posted:

Wow, Dirk seems to be actually losing his poo poo.

The logs are quickly becoming Karkat vs. Karkat logs, but more passive-aggressive instead of just aggressive.

Pastrymancy posted:

Kind of hangs a big question mark over exactly how much of Roxy's teasing is ironic.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

TT: Touché.
TT: Or should I say douché?

Oh my god I love this comic. :allears:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Gizmotinker posted:

Kind of hangs a big question mark over exactly how much of Roxy's teasing is ironic.

It reminds me of the comic where Roxy realizes no one loves her.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Pastrymancy posted:

And here I thought Hussie didn't have ways of making readers sad besides killing trolls off.

Yeah, they both express it in different ways. Which is interesting since we know that Jake is also alone, but he seems fairly... stable? I guess? At least compared to Miss Flirts-a-lot and the bundle of self-emulating robot friends that is Dirk.

Uuuuugh, all these interactions just make me excited for climaxes and confrontations that we're still a ways off from seeing. This all still feels like prep-work for the 'real' story, just like the early kid logs were back from the act 1-2-3 days (not that we knew, way back then).

Also I'm glad to finally see Dirk's achilles heel that I was talking about earlier. It's obvious that AR's really got under his skin, and moreso that there are issues that really do get under there. I'm amazed at how well Hussie's evoked the shadow of characterization we had to work with for the guardians from the pre-scratch universe.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Dolash posted:

Yeah, they both express it in different ways. Which is interesting since we know that Jake is also alone, but he seems fairly... stable? I guess? At least compared to Miss Flirts-a-lot and the bundle of self-emulating robot friends that is Dirk.

Jake is also mr. batshit that wrote BARKBARKABKRBAK in a journal subconsciously.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jake's not as neurotic as Dirk and Roxy are, but if anything I'd say he's even more starved for companionship. He tore the uranium out of all his cookalizers, leaving him with no recourse but to eat cold rations forever, just to power the process that'll send an incredibly elaborate hand-made to a friend of the only relative he's ever known, whom he has to contact via what he thinks is time travel. He's happily trading away every sparse creature comfort available on island home just for a chance to indirectly show his appreciation for his "grandmother" whom he only ever knew as a pen pal.

Jane has a loving archetypical Dad, but even she has some isolation issues, experiencing the loneliness of her status as corporate quasi-royalty and frequent assassination target.

In a series with such strong themes of friendship, basically the #1 sign that this reset universe is wrong, tainted by Lord English's evil, is that the heroes are so alone.

Lady of the Beech
Dec 16, 2011

And don't you forget about poor Dad, who is devastated when he thinks his daughter has been killed, and bends over backwards to protect her from this fate. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Bongo Bill posted:

Jake's not as neurotic as Dirk and Roxy are, but if anything I'd say he's even more starved for companionship. He tore the uranium out of all his cookalizers, leaving him with no recourse but to eat cold rations forever, just to power the process that'll send an incredibly elaborate hand-made to a friend of the only relative he's ever known, whom he has to contact via what he thinks is time travel. He's happily trading away every sparse creature comfort available on island home just for a chance to indirectly show his appreciation for his "grandmother" whom he only ever knew as a pen pal.

Jane has a loving archetypical Dad, but even she has some isolation issues, experiencing the loneliness of her status as corporate quasi-royalty and frequent assassination target.

In a series with such strong themes of friendship, basically the #1 sign that this reset universe is wrong, tainted by Lord English's evil, is that the heroes are so alone.

Weren't the original kids alone too? Isn't Homrstuck the name not just an earthbound reference but a reference to how the kids are all isolated shut-ins?