Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, there's "someone" we haven't seen in a while :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Let's complete that thought of Schierke's, I'm thinking "... a loving badass".

KoB
May 1, 2009
More Berserk next week too!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
The Guts figma is out. The sculpt is alright, but depending on the angle that face can look pretty bad, I think I'll hold out for an armour version.

Griffith is next up.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
All dem mermaid tits.

Did we ever get a full view of the Sea God? It looks like all we really saw was a giant maw, its innards, which is something I really like. It's just so incomprehensibly monstrous that Sea God is such a fitting name.

Also that music from the PS2 game is loving sick. Going to look up more of the composer's, Hirasawa Susumu's, stuff.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
That is the worst kind of cliffhanger.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
Maybe he will just wash up on Elf Island and the plot at large can get a move-on.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hey guys, check this out.

http://youtu.be/Q4yMGeUX0LU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ccs posted:

Hey guys, check this out.

http://youtu.be/Q4yMGeUX0LU

Well...uh, holy poo poo.

All of the different art, all from different periods in the storyline. Granted, I know having a standard opening for a planned series is usually par for the course, but given the sheer scope of the story and the fact they have all of Guts' Bros in the opening shows, to me, a lot of confidence in this project from everyone involved.

:iia:

It would be cool if Warner Bros. promoted the gently caress out of its international release at some point

Added: The other end credits theme was put up along with a ton of new footage, it's worth it only to see a few seconds of Guts fighting his way out during the assassination mission, which looks unbelievably kick rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI

Double Edit:

First 10 minutes uploaded to Youtube in lovely but watchable quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEgcHdTb8t4

Good soup! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 5, 2012

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Here's a much more watchable version of the first 10 minutes:

http://youtu.be/KH9mPrbzz-k

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The arc is worth it if only for the giant Marine Isopods, Goblin sharks, and Vampire squids. Kentaro obviously did some research to find freaky-looking sea creatures for Guts to turn into sushi.
There's probably a few more weird species I didn't recognise.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
I watched the Berserk movie last night and I can't understand why Japan isn't heading out in droves to do the same-- I got a rad 3D holographic bookmark of Zodd the Immortal just for buying a ticket!

I'm not sure if the movie's contents qualify as "spoiler material" on account of the movie itself being new and all, so I guess I'll be careful, but I just wanted to mention my impressions of it.

First of all, yes, the 3D rendering in this movie is unfortunate. On its own merits I suppose it's not all that terrible, but when juxtaposed against the parts that are animated without it(which are absolutely stunning), it comes off as wanting. It's noticeably jarring in scenes where the two styles are used in the same frame.

That said, there are parts where I felt like it afforded the animators the opportunity to add detail in parts that would have otherwise gone without. There is, for instance, a particular scene where a horse gets its legs cut off. In the following wide-angle shot that shows the stage and all its characters going about their business, the almost-but-not-quite-dead horse can be seen writhing painfully in the background. This also allows the many soldiers seen in battle sequences to be doing their own little things in the background, making the battlefield seem much more alive than it otherwise would. At its worst, however, the CG is almost insultingly bad. One part has the camera sit uncomfortably far away from the trio of Guts, Griffith and Casca (sp?) as their stiff 3D models shuffle about talking amongst themselves. It was an absolutely confusing 15-20 seconds of superfluous CG animation that just screamed "WE RAN OUT OF TIME AND MONEY TO MAKE THIS MOVIE".

On the other hand, I feel like Zodd the Immortal probably benefited from 3D rendering. He was looking drat fine and his arc was a heart-stopper from start to finish.

Things also really pick up towards the second half-- everything from when Guts plays at being an assassin onward is dramatic, action-packed and beautifully paced.

The whole CG thing is too bad, but it's not like it ruins the experience. It was still an excellent movie that I had a great time watching and I'm very much excited to head back to the theatres in June to watch part 2.

Uh, I've gotta tell you though, I hope this movie tears it up in DVD and Blu-ray sales, because it doesn't seem like it's doing all that hot at the box office. I was there yesterday-- the movie's second day in theatres-- and there were less than a dozen people (myself included; most others were women [??why??]) for the 7:10 PM showing at the only place you can watch it in Shibuya.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

That is the worst kind of cliffhanger.

At least feb 10th, but oh my god.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
How much does the first film cover, exactly?

The Timely Howard posted:

most others were women [??why??]
Guts x Griffith 4 lyfe.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 6, 2012

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Timely Howard posted:

most others were women [??why??]
The answer to this question is almost always "there's popular voice actors and/or actors as the leads." And Hiroaki Iwanaga and Takahiro Sakurai are voicing Guts and Griffith so you got a little of both.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Ccs posted:

Here's a much more watchable version of the first 10 minutes:

http://youtu.be/KH9mPrbzz-k

I like how they censor the slow-mo death that Guts causes, but don't care about all the stabbing, chopping, and the one head rolling around on the ground for 2-3 seconds. At most they digitally altered the blood to a deep red/black, but given the realistic style of most of the animation I don't think that's the case.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Sindai posted:

How much does the first film cover, exactly?

Guts x Griffith 4 lyfe.

I haven't seen the film myself, but I've heard that it ends (I guess I'll spoiler this) post-assassination, when Guts and Caska head over to Griffith at the ball and Guts overshears Griffith's speech to Charlotte about who a real friend of his would be. So basically, I expect the end of the movie to be what's going on at the end of this preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
The above spoiler is correct. That is as far as the first movie goes.

Some footage of Guts' 100-man melee was used for a commercial promoting the manga, but that scene was actually taken from the next movie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I am reading Vol 13 right now and holy poo poo this is really something...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Teim posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread wishes they could be you right now, reading through for the first time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone in the thread wishes they could be you right now, reading through for the first time.

That and not in a state of waiting for new releases for months. Fortunately it looks like only a few more days to the next one this time! :D

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Teim posted:

Pace yourself at 1 chapter every one or two months. You'll thank me later...

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Kusaru posted:

I haven't seen the film myself, but I've heard that it ends (I guess I'll spoiler this) post-assassination, when Guts and Caska head over to Griffith at the ball and Guts overshears Griffith's speech to Charlotte about who a real friend of his would be. So basically, I expect the end of the movie to be what's going on at the end of this preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NDDzEeNAI.
Wait, seriously? That's it? That's Not even four volumes. It will take a whole trilogy to get through the Golden Age!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Wait, seriously? That's it? That's Not even four volumes. It will take a whole trilogy to get through the Golden Age!

Well, the movie series is called the Golden Age Arc.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

dis astranagant posted:

Well, the movie series is called the Golden Age Arc.

I thought that was just speculation back when we thought the movies were just going to be a miniseries of short OVAs or something...

I'm kind of worried now, since I doubt that the enthusiasm will last long enough to make it past the golden age.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm kind of worried now, since I doubt that the enthusiasm will last long enough to make it past the golden age.

They're going to factor in things like DVD\Blu-ray sales and, according to the producers, the whole project is being handled with an international audience in mind. I wouldn't be too worried about it at this point, not just yet anyway. Considering it's been out for, what, two or three days now?

I really doubt they would have to pull a Big O to get the series finished.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I thought that was just speculation back when we thought the movies were just going to be a miniseries of short OVAs or something...

They're already airing ads with the post-Golden Age characters in them.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

^Right and Capcom made a bunch of promotional material for Megaman Legends 3. Then it was cancelled.

Point here: Future events can be advertised and still never happen unless the project succeeds. It makes sense to animate a few things here and there to get people excited about the future and interested in the project. Doesn't mean it will happen, unless these movies all make money.

Anyway, the movie lengths in the trilogy are like going to be roughly 90 minutes for movie 1, like 100-ish for 2 and 110 for 3. Or I'm forgetting and it's 110 and 120 for the last 2. Probably the former though. Basically 5 hours of animation.

I think anyone who really thought a trilogy of movies would get beyond the Golden Arc, even without knowing running times or anything, was being a bit naive. Remember how long the original series took to get through it? 24 episodes...and nearly 9 hours or so of animation! And that was with cutting out Skull Knight, Wyald, Silat and more! (Volume 11th in its entirety, the entire escape mini-arc)

They're cramming the entire Golden Arc into a time span of 4 hours less than it originally took, with cuts. This is going to require quicker fight pacing, omitted scenes and dialogue and potentially the exclusion of all the same material as the original series.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?

dis astranagant posted:

I'm just starting volume 9. It's pretty sweet so far. So much detail in the artwork!

xzoto1 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 7, 2012

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I honestly teared up at the end of the Golden Age last night. That was some arc.

Also I want to pace myself so I wont get burned like with A Song of Ice and Fire and Avatar. But I can't help it. I guess I could finish the anime first.

Speaking of which. I know the anime dealt with the ending strangly but I really hope the third movie really nails it. Maybe with less Caska rape :(

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Teim posted:

Maybe with less Caska rape :(

Ahahahahahahahaha

If you watch the anime all you're going to get is the Golden Age again so you might as well move on.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Rakugoon posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha

If you watch the anime all you're going to get is the Golden Age again so you might as well move on.

He really should move on, I'm sure he'll be thrilled by all the upcoming ENDLESS ATTEMPTS TO FURTHER RAPE CASKA.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Speaking of Caska, I was re-reading the Retribution arc the other day and realized that the move that Guts uses to avoid getting skewered by the Kushan advance force in Volume 18 is the exact same move that Caska used to kill Adon back in Volume 7. Stabbing the sword into the ground and using it to flip over the enemy. Really a neat touch considering the whole theme of that arc (regaining what he'd thrown away).

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/review/berserk-ogon-jidai-hen-i/hao-no-tamago

Review of the movie here (it opened at the weekend).

Gives prop to the direction as a whole and the handling of the material (Volumes 4-6 basically), but is extremely harsh on the CG.

One thing they have an issue with is the thing I have the biggest issue with - the poo poo framerate. They chose it to synth the CG framerate to that of the animation, but it looks rear end.

Opening weekend performance here if anyone cares:

http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/?yr=2012&wk=5&p=.htm

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Vengarr posted:

Speaking of Caska, I was re-reading the Retribution arc the other day and realized that the move that Guts uses to avoid getting skewered by the Kushan advance force in Volume 18 is the exact same move that Caska used to kill Adon back in Volume 7. Stabbing the sword into the ground and using it to flip over the enemy. Really a neat touch considering the whole theme of that arc (regaining what he'd thrown away).
I think it is more of Guts learning from his past. His style has changed of the story if you pay attention. Now he is full on DBZ type guy with flips and pounces. But it didn't develop over night.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

temple posted:

I think it is more of Guts learning from his past. His style has changed of the story if you pay attention. Now he is full on DBZ type guy with flips and pounces. But it didn't develop over night.

I don't think it's a coincidence, since it was right after the chapter where he resolved to protect her. Berserk is full of neat little touches that make re-reading a lot of fun.

http://i.imgur.com/OoNx4.png

Even the Kushan kid on the right side of the top panel won't accept kicking another dude in the junk.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

From my recent re-reading binge (the first time I'd read some parts of the story in over 7 years), I came out of it with one major desire.

Please, animate the Wyald arc in the new movies!

All we need is ENJOYMENT AND EXCITEMENT!

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Do we have any ETA on the English release of the movie? I can't seem to find an official date, and I'd rather not resort to :filez: since I don't mind giving them my money to keep making movies.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mr. Deathy posted:

He really should move on, I'm sure he'll be thrilled by all the upcoming ENDLESS ATTEMPTS TO FURTHER RAPE CASKA.

Aw man... Poor Caska. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Pinechild posted:

Do we have any ETA on the English release of the movie? I can't seem to find an official date, and I'd rather not resort to :filez: since I don't mind giving them my money to keep making movies.

It likely wont be for over a year. It's probably going straight to DVD, don't expect it in any theatres in the West.

So it'll be Japanese DVD first (which will inevitably be fansubbed) and then English DVD a while after that.