Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
There was a game I remember playing a while ago, I think it was on the Gamecube or Xbox. In the game you raised a monster of your own design to race and do other minigames against npc monsters. This is all I remember.
The graphics were kind of cartoony, I think sort of in the same vein as Viva Pinata or Spore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Fun Times! posted:

There was a game I remember playing a while ago, I think it was on the Gamecube or Xbox. In the game you raised a monster of your own design to race and do other minigames against npc monsters. This is all I remember.
The graphics were kind of cartoony, I think sort of in the same vein as Viva Pinata or Spore.

Gamecube, Amazing Island.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Okay this is incredibly vague but you guys come up with some crazy answers so it's worth a shot: I remember playing a free or possibly shareware(I didn't pay for it or pirate it, I remember learning to use winzip to play it) first person dungeon crawl game for the PC. I think I played it around 1996-98 but I don't know for sure. I think the graphics were sort of hand-drawn or cartoonish looking. I don't remember anything else about it but if I saw the starting area I would recognize it instantly.

edit: To narrow it down a bit I know for sure it wasn't part of Lands of Lore, Might & Magic, or Wizardry, and it wasn't a Goldbox game or Eye of the Beholder or anything like that. I want to say it wasn't as much of an RPG as any of those series but I'm not certain. The 96-98 thing doesn't preclude it from being an early DOS game.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 3, 2012

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Okay this is incredibly vague but you guys come up with some crazy answers so it's worth a shot: I remember playing a free or possibly shareware(I didn't pay for it or pirate it, I remember learning to use winzip to play it) first person dungeon crawl game for the PC. I think I played it around 1996-98 but I don't know for sure. I think the graphics were sort of hand-drawn or cartoonish looking. I don't remember anything else about it but if I saw the starting area I would recognize it instantly.

edit: To narrow it down a bit I know for sure it wasn't part of Lands of Lore, Might & Magic, or Wizardry, and it wasn't a Goldbox game or Eye of the Beholder or anything like that. I want to say it wasn't as much of an RPG as any of those series but I'm not certain. The 96-98 thing doesn't preclude it from being an early DOS game.

Maybe one of the Moraff's games?

edit: Or the sequel?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hal Incandenza posted:

Maybe one of the Moraff's games?

You're very much on the right track as to what I am describing but unless I'm not remembering the color palette correctly, this isn't it. I might play this anyway because it looks pretty rad.

The starting area may have been a grassy field with the dungeon a few spaces(turn-based, grid-based movement) ahead. The dungeon's outside walls were yellow or beige I think. I'm sorry for being so vague but I was probably about 7 when I played this. It might have been my first non-FPS, non-Raptor PC game.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 3, 2012

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Shalhavet posted:

Gamecube, Amazing Island.

This is it. drat that poo poo sucked. Thanks!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

You're very much on the right track as to what I am describing but unless I'm not remembering the color palette correctly, this isn't it. I might play this anyway because it looks pretty rad.

The starting area may have been a grassy field with the dungeon a few spaces(turn-based, grid-based movement) ahead. The dungeon's outside walls were yellow or beige I think. I'm sorry for being so vague but I was probably about 7 when I played this. It might have been my first non-FPS, non-Raptor PC game.

Anvil of Dawn maybe?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
About seven or eight years ago, I downloaded some computer hacker game from Home of the Underdogs - this was before they switched to the .info address, so it could be earlier, I'm not sure. Clearly I cannot remember the title, and since it was on HOTU, the chances of it having been made by some big-name company are low.

What I do remember is that:
-I played it on a Compaq laptop running Windows 95, so the system requirements probably weren't too bad
-it imitated the Windows format (earlier editions, so 3.1/95/98? It didn't seem too out of place against my basic Win95 desktop settings.)
-it had a movie plot that put you as an accidental hacker - it started off with you sitting at a cafe or something exploring the Internet, and then this chatbox pops up where you(r character) was guided, then shoved into being "the one to save the world from a potential world war" or something like that)
-there was an IM client involved (that imitated AIM)
-near the end you had to disarm a missile silo to prevent it from launching with some numerical keypad interface. It was located either in a Russian territory or a third-world country.
-at the very end the person you'd been talking to who'd been helping you with your missions "hacked" into your computer after a final chat with them over the IM program and made it go berserk, the windows replicating all over your screen and making it seem to freeze
-There was text walkthrough online for it, but not at GameFAQs

What I do know is that it's not Uplink or Hacker, so I'm wondering if any of you know what I'm talking about?

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Kimitsu posted:

What I do know is that it's not Uplink or Hacker, so I'm wondering if any of you know what I'm talking about?

Street Hacker? http://downloads.streethacker.com/screenshots.htm

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm trying to remember the name of an old DOS adventure game. It was text and pictures but no animation, 4 or MAYBE 16 colors. Sci-fi themed. I distinctly remember having to buy a star chart and buy starship fuel at what looked like a gas station with pumps and all before moving the ship to another planet. I also remember a scene where you're stuck on a narrow bridge over a canyon and there's a big dude blocking the way. I played this back in the 80s as a kid and never beat it, can't remember who published it.

Any ideas?

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

techknight posted:

Street Hacker? http://downloads.streethacker.com/screenshots.htm

Nope, thanks though. :(

Addendum: I don't think there were any images of people used in the game, computer-generated or otherwise. But speaking of images, I have a vague memory of photographs being used, with the main image being the streetside cafe you were supposedly sitting at during all this.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 5, 2012

LennyBriscoCountyJr
Oct 20, 2005

andrew smash posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of an old DOS adventure game. It was text and pictures but no animation, 4 or MAYBE 16 colors. Sci-fi themed. I distinctly remember having to buy a star chart and buy starship fuel at what looked like a gas station with pumps and all before moving the ship to another planet. I also remember a scene where you're stuck on a narrow bridge over a canyon and there's a big dude blocking the way. I played this back in the 80s as a kid and never beat it, can't remember who published it.

Any ideas?
The Tracer Sanction

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Haha, yep, that's it.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Japanese RPG. I remember playing it in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s. SNES or above. I just remember that there was a spell that caused a pyramid of what looked like flame to envelope enemies. I remember thinking that if the entire enemy could fit in it, it did more damage (obviously incorrect).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Capsaicin posted:

Japanese RPG. I remember playing it in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s. SNES or above. I just remember that there was a spell that caused a pyramid of what looked like flame to envelope enemies. I remember thinking that if the entire enemy could fit in it, it did more damage (obviously incorrect).

Was it the Trine spell from one of the Final Fantasies?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's a DOS Civil War strategy game. The graphics were mostly black and white, and I remember that most of the icons were either grey or blue hats. I remember that if you conquered most of the southern states, there'd be status updates saying that the Confederate soldiers are leaving their posts because they are worried about their families.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a DOS Civil War strategy game. The graphics were mostly black and white, and I remember that most of the icons were either grey or blue hats. I remember that if you conquered most of the southern states, there'd be status updates saying that the Confederate soldiers are leaving their posts because they are worried about their families.

This is probably too recent but it's the first thing I thought of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_2:_Gettysburg

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Rollersnake posted:

Was it the Trine spell from one of the Final Fantasies?

I don't think it was that one. I seem to remember it being a 2-D game, but I'm not sure. The pyramid didn't spin, and it had more of a red/blue to it.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
This one has been bugging me for a while, back in the late 90s/early 00's I played a demo of a flight combat game kinda like a fantasy Crimson Skies, like most of the vehicles were dragons and giant eagles with cannons bolted on. It also had kind of a steam punk bent with Zeppelins and hot air balloons. The demo was an arena based death match, you flew around fighting other dudes and picking up power ups but there might have been a campaign as well. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: This was on PC by the way.

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 6, 2012

Dilemma
Jan 13, 2004
NM

Dilemma fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 6, 2012

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Holistic Detective posted:

This one has been bugging me for a while, back in the late 90s/early 00's I played a demo of a flight combat game kinda like a fantasy Crimson Skies, like most of the vehicles were dragons and giant eagles with cannons bolted on. It also had kind of a steam punk bent with Zeppelins and hot air balloons. The demo was an arena based death match, you flew around fighting other dudes and picking up power ups but there might have been a campaign as well. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Edit: This was on PC by the way.

Flying Heroes.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

dads_work_files posted:

Flying Heroes.

Jesus Christ, yes! You have no idea how long that's been bugging me!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Dr_Amazing posted:

This is probably too recent but it's the first thing I thought of.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleground_2:_Gettysburg

It's a lot more simplistic than that. The only colors I can remember in the game are black, white, gray, and blue. Thanks, though.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Ok i will jump in on this one... it was a really old game from around the windows 98 era. I dont exactly remember much (i was more of a play outside kinda kid) but it was a space flight game akin to wing commander, but what wasnt those days. The main ship that was the games default looked like a spherical pod in the center with wings on either side that were painted to look like eagle/falcon wings. As a kid i remember my favorite ship looked like a scorpion (yes a space ship that looked like a scorpion). You would fly around and shoot down other ships and tractor beam your allies escape pods if they died, if you took lethal damage you could escape pod out and pray one of your allies tractor beamed you to safety. If you ended up dying or not being tractor beamed i remember it played some kind of gory cinematic where your escape pods atmosphere leaked into space.

The details are vague, and it may have already come up in the thread (im not reading all 90 pages) but for some reason i have a huge urge to find out what it was.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

This was a handheld game, for a Nintendo system but I'm not sure which, GBA or above but I think the action was in 3D (that is, as opposed to 2D, not stereoscopic), so probably an early DS title. It was an SRPG where you are transferred to another dimension where bugs from our worlds can turn themselves into giant robots, but then need humans to pilot them. It was pretty deep, with lots of customization stuff, and I remember it being extremely difficult toward the end.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Capsaicin posted:

I don't think it was that one. I seem to remember it being a 2-D game, but I'm not sure. The pyramid didn't spin, and it had more of a red/blue to it.

I really, really want to say that's Chrono Trigger but I couldn't name the attack and it's also a fairly memorable game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Funkmaster General posted:

This was a handheld game, for a Nintendo system but I'm not sure which, GBA or above but I think the action was in 3D (that is, as opposed to 2D, not stereoscopic), so probably an early DS title. It was an SRPG where you are transferred to another dimension where bugs from our worlds can turn themselves into giant robots, but then need humans to pilot them. It was pretty deep, with lots of customization stuff, and I remember it being extremely difficult toward the end.

sounds like drone tactics to me.

redmercer posted:

I really, really want to say that's Chrono Trigger but I couldn't name the attack and it's also a fairly memorable game.

CT has a couple of attacks that fit that description sorta, luminaire makes a sort of pyramid shape and I think the max-level antipode dual (triple? i don't remember) tech involves the characters bouncing around in a triangle shape.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Capsaicin posted:

I know Breath of Fire 2 has a spell with an effect that resembles that description, any chance it was that?

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Bob Wins posted:

Ok i will jump in on this one... it was a really old game from around the windows 98 era. I dont exactly remember much (i was more of a play outside kinda kid) but it was a space flight game akin to wing commander, but what wasnt those days. The main ship that was the games default looked like a spherical pod in the center with wings on either side that were painted to look like eagle/falcon wings. As a kid i remember my favorite ship looked like a scorpion (yes a space ship that looked like a scorpion). You would fly around and shoot down other ships and tractor beam your allies escape pods if they died, if you took lethal damage you could escape pod out and pray one of your allies tractor beamed you to safety. If you ended up dying or not being tractor beamed i remember it played some kind of gory cinematic where your escape pods atmosphere leaked into space.

The details are vague, and it may have already come up in the thread (im not reading all 90 pages) but for some reason i have a huge urge to find out what it was.

The closest I can come up with is Inner Space but some of the details don't fit.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Panic Restaurant posted:

I know Breath of Fire 2 has a spell with an effect that resembles that description, any chance it was that?

Almost positive that was it.

Yep: Around 4:20 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H9xbVk6LN4

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
This should be fairly easy, because it's a relatively recent game. Like, 2009-2010 release I think. It is a first person shooter starring a protagonist who has the most filthy god drat cock loving piece of poo poo whore mouth ever. Like, to the extent that the credits pretty much consisted of him swearing over and over again. (Which is the reason I'm trying to remember the name of this game) I never played it, but it was also pretty terrible apparently. Though I guess what I wrote about the game kind of makes it obvious anyways.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Bulletstorm?

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
That or Rogue Warrior.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Badguy posted:

That or Rogue Warrior.

Yeah, Rogue Warrior is it! Thanks.

Empyreal
Jan 29, 2008

This is a good thread. I like this thread. Let's all be friends.
Ok, there's a game I played a year or two ago. I'm pretty sure it came out around October 2010, or sometime in the Fall of 2010. Anyhow, it was a room escape style game, I believe Flash-based, and had an overarching story about a sentient artificial intelligence and the important ramifications on society at large. It was a remake of a game that he apparently had made years before, but this time with better graphics and interface and such. I can't remember the name for the life of me, and I've been looking for the past 20 minutes. I remember it took place in a bunker of some sort, I believe it was a scientific lab? I also remember it being mostly grey. Any ideas? I am determined to find it, no matter what.

Oh, also, I remember that it played Allegri, Miserere Mei Deus in the background almost the whole time. That might trigger people's memories, hopefully.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out! It's The Infinite Ocean, and from what I remember, it's pretty good.

Empyreal fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 10, 2012

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
I seem to remember a game long ago, it may have been on the Amiga.. a first person fantasy/medieval RPG. We only had the demo disc and the level looked like a dungeon which had sign posts like "barracks" and "latrine", there were also guards roaming around the area. Dragon or the number 3 may have been in the title.. I was maybe 6 so cut me some slack on the memory guys.

Any ideas?

Edit: CRYSTAL DRAGON! Thank you mobygames and google image search (and over 1 hour searching the net beforehand)

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 12, 2012

ZombieSupaStar
Mar 30, 2007

Ok this game I saw a trailer for a few years ago, I'm assuming it never even released otherwise there would be something about it. But it basically looked like a video game version of The Omen, where you walked around as this evil kid doing evil things to your family / others.

Any ideas?

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.
That's most likely Lucius.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Alright, this is a big shot in the dark, but I'm looking for an independent shoot'em'up.

A Japanese indie shmup from several years back, maybe 2010 at the absolute latest. Almost entirely black and white graphics with simple line drawings. The unique thing about it it's a crossbreed between normal shmup gameplay and the WarioWare games - every few seconds, you're hit with a random shmup-style action to perform, from killing a couple of enemies to collecting items to breaking down an oncoming wall. I remember it being very difficult and kind of aggravating, but I was much younger and less experienced when I played it, so it might have just been me sucking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Cobweb Heart posted:

Alright, this is a big shot in the dark, but I'm looking for an independent shoot'em'up.

A bit of googling came up with Made in Wired.