Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Having a "pro" battery grip on a camera with a middling EVF and average Panasonic image sensor seems pretty silly to me.

However, I love all the physical button/dial placement on the camera itself. It looks very functional to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Costello Jello posted:

Having a "pro" battery grip on a camera with a middling EVF and average Panasonic image sensor seems pretty silly to me.

However, I love all the physical button/dial placement on the camera itself. It looks very functional to me.

You are right. They say that battery grips are for easier portrait shooting and extra battery life, but we know it's really just a fashion accessory to let people know we are PRO!

I would hate to be out in public with my PRO camera and have someone mistake it for an OM-D. :argh:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

keyframe posted:

O-MD is hideous imo. Especially with that battery grip.
Now now, let's be fair - at least it doesn't look like the K-01. It looks like one of those cameras which may be ugly but really functional, like Sony's a850/a900. Time will tell.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
What's so gross about the nex? I think the designs are awesome. It's like brick with a sensor and lens mount in it, nothing more. I'd imagine the only reason it has the bulge is for the battery, but even that doesn't look bad.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

RustedChrome posted:

You are right. They say that battery grips are for easier portrait shooting and extra battery life, but we know it's really just a fashion accessory to let people know we are PRO!

I would hate to be out in public with my PRO camera and have someone mistake it for an OM-D. :argh:

....okay. I think the point actually is that people who would need a battery grip would be using a much better camera, instead of a camera with the main selling point of being "good for the size" which would be negated by a battery grip.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
What is with the crazy high hotshoe mount and non-functional prism bump? Why? It just makes it bulky for no obvious reason.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

poopinmymouth posted:

What is with the crazy high hotshoe mount and non-functional prism bump? Why? It just makes it bulky for no obvious reason.
That's where they put the nostalgia mechanism.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

poopinmymouth posted:

Doesn't it have an EVF though? It's a nice place to stick that without taking away room from the back lcd if nothing else.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The hump is for the evf. My OM-1 is just about the most comfortable to hold, and perfectly sized SLR I've ever owned. If the OM-D is the same size, then I am all for the nostalgia hump. If I were sticking with the micro 4/3 format, I'd be sorely tempted by it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Here's a new picture featuring the camera without the grip and all Olympus lenses:

I think some of you are over-exaggerating about the looks. Hideous, really?

I'm uncertain about upgrading from my E-P3 unless the rumor about it having superior video over the GH2 is true. I'm a bit disappointed that the screen isn't a touch screen since I like the simple and unobtrusive way it's implemented on the E-P3, compared to say, the NEX-5N in which case I don't see the point at all. (edit: Nevermind, apparently it is a touch screen. External flash only though)

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 5, 2012

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

Now now, let's be fair - at least it doesn't look like the K-01.

And with those words, every camera design ever got a pass.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think the OMD look very good without the grip. It probably will attract some old school Pentax users if value AF over IQ. It looks alot like the ZX-5n and ME Super.

If its priced 100 higher than the NEX5n its great. Over 1 grant is same old Olympus story.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

I think the OMD look very good without the grip. It probably will attract some old school Pentax users if value AF over IQ. It looks alot like the ZX-5n and ME Super.

If its priced 100 higher than the NEX5n its great. Over 1 grant is same old Olympus story.

It really does look a lot like an ME Super. That's why I don't think the battery grip is that outrageous, my ME is pretty dang comfy to hold with the winder/grip attached, especially if you have a big lens attached.

I have a feeling it'll all cost way too much though.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Hey, some more views of the much loved K-01

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pentax_k-01_hands-on_photos/

Extra chunky, and with HDR right on the dial!

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Mr. Despair posted:

Doesn't it have an EVF though? It's a nice place to stick that without taking away room from the back lcd if nothing else.

The fake prism hump is fine, I'm wondering why the hotshoe then sticks up even further. It just looks like needlessly added height.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
If it's cheap/when the price tanks on clearance, I want one. Reminds me of what the future was supposed to look like. :3:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

The fake prism hump is fine, I'm wondering why the hotshoe then sticks up even further. It just looks like needlessly added height.

Because that's the way OM-series cameras are.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

RustedChrome posted:

Hey, some more views of the much loved K-01

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/pentax_k-01_hands-on_photos/

Extra chunky, and with HDR right on the dial!

Somebody needs to photoshop everything but the HDR on it and add a flikr logo next to it :v:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

Somebody needs to photoshop everything but the HDR on it and add a flikr logo next to it :v:

HDR
Flickr
K-Rock

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

RustedChrome posted:

God, they even screwed up the little things. Why put a flash symbol next to the flash button, then label the flash button UP? Why not just put the flash symbol on the button itself? This is stupid, everything about it is stupid.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
That new Voigtländer lens makes me want to use m4/3... 17.5mm f/0.95.

Press release in German

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 7, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

God, they even screwed up the little things. Why put a flash symbol next to the flash button, then label the flash button UP? Why not just put the flash symbol on the button itself? This is stupid, everything about it is stupid.

Maybe there is another button on the bottom for "down" :v:

Thors Banhammer posted:

That new Voigtländer lens makes me want to use m4/3... 17.5mm f/0.95.
I'm surprised the price is as low as it is. They probably could sell a good number for even more.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RustedChrome posted:

Maybe there is another button on the bottom for "down" :v:

It ensures that you are not taking upside down photos.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What are those red and green buttons? :pcgaming:

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

keyframe posted:

They look like candy. I bet they are labeled "CANDY" but the labels have rubbed off or weren't ready in time.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

ThisQuietReverie posted:

They look like candy. I bet they are labeled "CANDY" but the labels have rubbed off or weren't ready in time.

The only camera that comes with m&m's :unsmith:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

I think it was DESIGNED to be stupid, after all, their target customer is Derek Zoolander.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

keyframe posted:

Red is video (like on many cameras now), green is the Pentax "green button" which is a pretty clever invention for using legacy lenses.

Out of all the things wrong with the K-01, I think this might be the least of them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

green is the Pentax "green button" which is a pretty clever invention for using legacy lenses.

What does it do?

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

OM-D/E-M5 is official
http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1583

New 16mp sensor, so at least it's not just a repackaged E-P3. I await the sample shots.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 specification highlights:

16MP MOS Four Thirds format sensor
Weather-sealed body
Twin control dials
New, '5-axis' image stabilization
Shoot at up to ISO 25,600
Up to 9fps shooting (4.2 fps with continuous AF)
800x600 pixel (1.44M dot) LCD electronic viewfinder
VGA-equivalent 3" OLED touchscreen display - tilts 80° upwards and 50° downwards
Latest TruePic VI processor
Improved C-AF autofocus with 3D tracking

The Olympus OM-D will be available in April 2012 and will ship in the following configurations:

$999.99 (Body only, available in Black and Silver)
$1,299.99 (Black or Silver body with black M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-50 mm f3.5-6.3 EZ lens)
$1,099.99 (Black body with black M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42 mm f3.5-5.6 II R lens)

RustedChrome fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 8, 2012

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That looks pretty cool, any idea how the EVF compares to that snazzy sony OLED EVF? Wish they had some awesome pancakes coming out on release.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I'm not in any rush to replace my E-P3, but this is an improvement in pretty much every single way. I think it's somewhat better looking (unless viewed straight-on), has better controls, and it's nice that they kept it pretty much the same size. I'm mostly concerned with the video quality, if they fixed the wobbly-ness that makes the video pretty much useless if you move the camera (I don't expect GH2-level quality but something close would be nice) and the new image stabilizer/ISO performance which seems to have been increased significantly.

Rated PG-34 posted:

In-camera HDR. You heard it here first.

And...?

Edit: ISO samples at http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/em5/feature/index2.html, they're too small to be of any use but I guess that since it looks mostly the same until 12800 that's a good thing (25600 looks like 3200 on the E-P3)

Cacator fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 8, 2012

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Engadget got some hands-on time with the OM-D
http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/07/olympus-om-d-e-m5-micro-four-thirds-camera-preview-video/

Engadget posted:

Perhaps even more impressive, however, is the camera's autofocus system. Olympus claims that the E-M5 features the "world's fastest autofocus," of any camera -- yes, that even includes top-of-the-line DSLRs. We went on a quick indoor shoot with the cam and were incredibly pleased with the focusing system's performance -- subjects came into focus instantaneously, even in low-light. We can't confirm that Olympus claim, but this thing is definitely very, very fast.

Olympus seems to have really nailed the AF for mirrorless systems. The E-P3/E-PM1 are miles faster than my old E-P1 was and this seems to beat those.

Engadget posted:

There's also a new splashproof Four Thirds adapter on the way, along with an excellent optional camera grip with detachable battery. And while you may have noticed that there's no built-in flash, the new FL-600R should have you covered, with a guide number of 50, a built in LED light for video capture and a quick-charge battery.

Apparently it's a bit smaller than the last OM film camera, the OM-4ti. I like what I've seen so far, but that's only what Olympus wants me to see. I look forward to seeing it tested in the wild.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

spankmeister posted:

What does it do?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html

I placed my E-M5 order today, first in line. Supposed to ship April. 11990 SEK with the 12-50.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man, what the gently caress? No one in "fashion & design" is even going to come close to actually using the green button. Once again, total incongruence on the part of Pentax. It's like the design, engineering and marketing guys all wanted to make a new camera but none of them could agree on anything.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

I'm not in any rush to replace my E-P3, but this is an improvement in pretty much every single way. I think it's somewhat better looking (unless viewed straight-on), has better controls, and it's nice that they kept it pretty much the same size. I'm mostly concerned with the video quality, if they fixed the wobbly-ness that makes the video pretty much useless if you move the camera (I don't expect GH2-level quality but something close would be nice) and the new image stabilizer/ISO performance which seems to have been increased significantly.

And...?

Edit: ISO samples at http://olympus-imaging.jp/product/dslr/em5/feature/index2.html, they're too small to be of any use but I guess that since it looks mostly the same until 12800 that's a good thing (25600 looks like 3200 on the E-P3)

And you get in camera HDR. I was interpreting their silly advertising speak.

I still think everyone should boycott oly until they clean up their act.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

And you get in camera HDR. I was interpreting their silly advertising speak.

I still think everyone should boycott oly until they clean up their act.

But there isn't any in-camera HDR. Besides, I don't really care if some crotchety old Japanese executives lied about their accounting and finances if a separate division of the company is making a decent product. The camera division isn't even their main business. Now if the E-M5 had a tendency to blow up and kill people, then boycott away.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

But there isn't any in-camera HDR. Besides, I don't really care if some crotchety old Japanese executives lied about their accounting and finances if a separate division of the company is making a decent product. The camera division isn't even their main business. Now if the E-M5 had a tendency to blow up and kill people, then boycott away.

Why should you care? No one else really cares, neither the government nor the media. Their executives screwed everyone, and they're still running the show. They are laughing at you while doing lines off some secretary's rear end. I wouldn't support them by buying any of their products for the same reason I wouldn't buy oil from Iran or trade with North Korea. It's supporting bad corporate governance. Plus with any luck they'll go out of business because of the screw-up and you'll be left with an unsupported camera.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Their executives screwed everyone, and they're still running the show. They are laughing at you while doing lines off some secretary's rear end.

drat, did an Olympus executive touch you as a child? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal#Impact_on_management

quote:

Plus with any luck they'll go out of business because of the screw-up and you'll be left with an unsupported camera.
Unlikely, since another company (Sony or Fuji from the sounds of it) is going to partner with them and invest in their endoscope business.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Cacator posted:

drat, did an Olympus executive touch you as a child? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal#Impact_on_management

All very minor repercussions considering the scale of the scandal.