Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

Zarkov Cortez posted:

slipping on ice

What kind of Canadian are you :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

runoverbobby posted:

What kind of Canadian are you :mad:

I slipped and fell two times while curling last month :shobon:

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis

joat mon posted:

Since we're doing quotes,

So, what should I start with?

Thanks to everyone quoting McCarthy and Bukowski, I find myself encouraged enough to try to enjoy reading for pleasure again. I've read Blood Meridian before, but not The Road, nor have I extensively read Bukowski's works. A trip to the library is in order tomorrow. :unsmith:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Reading for pleasure is something normal people do. I spent all weekend reading default clauses in syndicated credit agreements for a paper. After doing that, anything more complex than keeping up with the kardashians is too trying.

I actually really like law school, but I had more than a small panic attack when I thought I wasn't going to get a SA position. I'm taking law and economics this semester and the professor doesn't take attendance. It's at 8:30 and I've been twice.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

evilweasel posted:

145 isn't meh, it's atrocious. For someone who has never seen the test before, and is drunk. Very drunk.

Well that's how I took it. And considering it was a free online one that I kinda did not give a crap about and was taking more to see what sorts of questions get asked on it, I'm not putting too much stock in that being indicative of a real score. Once I take a proper practice one, I'll gauge my options further.

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I slipped and fell two times while curling last month :shobon:

Were you drunk? Because that's the only way to curl.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

AA is for Quitters posted:

Well that's how I took it. And considering it was a free online one that I kinda did not give a crap about and was taking more to see what sorts of questions get asked on it, I'm not putting too much stock in that being indicative of a real score. Once I take a proper practice one, I'll gauge my options further.

A 145 is 22nd percentile.

There is a free actual LSAT from 2007 on the LSAC website. Go take it under realistic conditions. If you don't break at least 150 on your cold diagnostic I can't see how you could possibly continue.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I want to tell you how bad an idea it is to go to law school with a 145 LSAT, but I'm honestly not sure how to reliably communicate the concept. Will grunts and gestures work, or do I have to use a series of pictograms showing piles of money being shoveled into the maw of fire-demon named HOFSTRA?

(:smug:)

Elotana fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 7, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Were you drunk? Because that's the only way to curl.

I wouldn't say I was drunk but I had been drinking.

Also the second time I wrote the LSAT I got 167 :smug:

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.
Hey crankdatbatman i have this friend in burkina faso i sent him 120k and he's totally going to hook me up with a cool milly/year annuity as soon as his family's platinum mine gets out of military control. I was skeptical at first but he's totally legit, he sent me stats and everything; also, he told me he only needs 30k more to buy the mine back from the military. Buuuuutttt i'm kinda running low on funds. You seem like a prudent investor. Wanna make a few bux bro?

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
So I'm one of those very stupid people who got enrolled in law school without researching the job market ahead of time. I did really well in my first semester (3.51 gpa) and I'm at a decent school (Illinois) so I think I'll stick it out.

I'm a 1L looking for a real summer job, but I have no idea how to go about the process. I'm working a few hours a week for a friend-of-a-friend's law firm, but I'd like something a little better for the summer. The career office's advice has been useless and their job posting website isn't offering many appealing options: think unpaid jobs with activist groups that have vague job descriptions. What should I be doing?

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Emanuel Collective posted:

I'm a 1L looking for a real summer job, but I have no idea how to go about the process. I'm working a few hours a week for a friend-of-a-friend's law firm, but I'd like something a little better for the summer. The career office's advice has been useless and their job posting website isn't offering many appealing options: think unpaid jobs with activist groups that have vague job descriptions. What should I be doing?

Buying some kneepads and bananas (or carrots) and practicing "asking" that friend-of-a-friend for a summer job that will pay you money?

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce
Just to tweak the American lawgoons, here's the admission stats for the University of Alberta last year:

http://www.law.ualberta.ca/prospectivestudents/admissionsllb/applicationrequirements/documents/Admitted_Applicant_Profile.pdf

This is probably the second (?) best and/or well regarded law school west of the great lakes, and if you score a 168 on the LSAT you would be in the top 7% of applicants.

(In all fairness, the markets really aren't comparable - I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that the Canadian experience is much more regional. For the most part you go to school where you want to practice)

Edit: Hell, even the best school in Canada (U of Toronto) says the following: As a point of reference, the median average/GPA of the 2011-2012 first-year class was 86.5% or 3.9GPA. The median LSAT was 168.

Moral of the story? Move to Canada, score some sweet health care and book learnin'

Edit 2: Guess who was hitting 168s in the practice LSATs and promptly stopped giving a gently caress about improving his score.

Schitzo fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 7, 2012

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Schitzo posted:

Just to tweak the American lawgoons, here's the admission stats for the University of Alberta last year:

http://www.law.ualberta.ca/prospectivestudents/admissionsllb/applicationrequirements/documents/Admitted_Applicant_Profile.pdf

This is probably the second (?) best and/or well regarded law school west of the great lakes, and if you score a 168 on the LSAT you would be in the top 7% of applicants.

(In all fairness, the markets really aren't comparable - I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that the Canadian experience is much more regional. For the most part you go to school where you want to practice)

Edit: Hell, even the best school in Canada (U of Toronto) says the following: As a point of reference, the median average/GPA of the 2011-2012 first-year class was 86.5% or 3.9GPA. The median LSAT was 168.

Moral of the story? Move to Canada, score some sweet health care and book learnin'

Most schools in Canada other than U of T seem to have about the same admissions averages too, mostly hovering around a ~161 LSAT and 3.6 GPA. And a lot of those schools will only consider your best 2 or 3 years or drop the marks from your lowest 8 classes when calculating your GPA. Law school admission here seems so much less competitive than it is in the states, which is weird since there's way lower law school spots per capita than in the states.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 7, 2012

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

So I'm one of those very stupid people who got enrolled in law school without researching the job market ahead of time. I did really well in my first semester (3.51 gpa) and I'm at a decent school (Illinois) so I think I'll stick it out.

jesus christ it is loving february

I will capitalize because I want you to understand that you're hosed. Here's the advice I'd give you if you were at Duke: Apply to every single PD and DA in the state and in your home state. Every single loving one. And every single professor for an RA spot. Then each day, until you get a job, you apply to five firms, even poo poo-eating 1-800-ACCIDENTES ones. Spam still works in this industry and the really lovely places haven't started looking yet. But get on this immediately; this is more important than class right now and if you don't have a 1L job you should absolutely drop out before the 2L bill comes.

EDIT: To reiterate: if you aren't going to Yale and don't get a 1L-summer job, drop out.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

The fact is most of the world is doing something unpaid for their 1L year. Either exploit that connection for a better summer job, or take an unpaid externship with one of those "activist groups"(?) and work as many hours for the firm as they'll let you.

EDIT: he has a part-time paid job sule

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Schitzo posted:

Edit 2: Guess who was hitting 168s in the practice LSATs and promptly stopped giving a gently caress about improving his score.

What about Lakehead and their progressive wifi policy?

quote:

A policy decision based on the �precautionary principle� was made at the Presidential level to not install wireless technology due to a number of compelling and well researched reasons, including health, security, and cost, in that order. Numerous scientific studies suggest that there is a basis for concern since continuous or frequent long-term exposure to WiFi electromagnetic fields (EMFs) could have adverse health effects, including risks for both childhood and adult cancers. A recent report by an international working group of scientists, researchers, and public health policy professionals (The BioInitiative Working Group - https://www.bioinitiative.org) documents scientific evidence that even small levels of exposure to radiofrequency and microwave radiations emitted by wireless technologies, including WiFi, can result in physical symptoms such as headaches, fatigue, changes in brainwave activity, and impairment of concentration and memory.

Although Lakehead University�s primary mandate is to provide superior educational programs and the best delivery systems possible within available resources, this mandate is not to come at the potential expense of the long-term health of our students and employees. It is very important to note, however, that although we have not elected to establish wireless technology on our campuses, Lakehead is in fact, completely connected to the worldwide web through a comprehensive and state-of-the-art fibre optic network. With over 8,000 Ethernet ports, including �hardwired hook-ups� at our many Internet Carousels and Computer Labs, students can enjoy secure communications from our University computers equipped with Internet access and specialized software. Additionally, all of our residence accommodations have network ports installed for connecting personal computers to the Lakehead network.

e: oh maybe they have wifi now

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 7, 2012

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Sulecrist posted:

But get on this immediately; this is more important than class right now and if you don't have a 1L job you should absolutely drop out before the 2L bill comes.

but unofficial is soon

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Elotana posted:

I want to tell you how bad an idea it is to go to law school with a 145 LSAT, but I'm honestly not sure how to reliably communicate the concept. Will grunts and gestures work, or do I have to use a series of pictograms showing piles of money being shoveled into the maw of fire-demon named HOFSTRA?

(:smug:)

Hey, I never said that I was applying with that. Just that taking a free one online, blind, with no preparation and sorta half-assing it just so I could get an idea of what sorts of things they asking, I got a 145. I have every intention of putting in some effort and studying before I'd take it for real.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

1L summer jobs don't really matter outside of the fact that you have one. Ask professors you took and liked whether they need an RA. Spam resumes out to state-level judges and offices. Federal judicial internships (not clerkships) will already be filled by this point and your grades aren't good enough for a 1L SA unless you've got some sweet connects in your hometown. Good luck.

Oh, and just a PSA for next year, don't rely on OCS at all. Apply through your school's OCI, then go on NALP and apply to every firm (all of them). Then use chambers and apply to every firm in every area you think you could like. You are a beggar, not a chooser, and should act accordingly.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

I go to Illinois also (2l) so I share your pain on the worthlessness of our OCS. That said, no need to panic yet. You would have to be a complete retard to not find a place to work 1l summer. I mean you should've been applying to judges and stuff like that over winter break but it's not too late to get something at a small firm or company with a legal department. It doesn't matter what you do your 1l summer just as long as you do something legal so you can put it on your resume and have something substantive to talk about at OCI. Keep checking symplicity and don't be so picky.

Don't worry about your 1l summer job as much as your grades. The people telling you that getting a 1l job matters more than class probably go to a better school than us. Get those grades up to top 10% range if you want a shot at a job at OCI.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Hey Illini peoples, has there been a big shitshow there over the admissions thing?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

J Miracle posted:

EDIT: he has a part-time paid job sule

Yeah, but it's during the school year at a place he seems to want to distance himself from. I definitely misunderstood Emanuel Collective's ability to stay with it (or turn it into something full time?)--this isn't a glorious seppuku situation since he has something, but he's clearly unsatisfied with it.

Emanuel Collective, why wouldn't you characterize it as sufficient/a Real Job? My advice about spamming stands. If you want to do better, you need to move right now.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Don't worry about your 1l summer job as much as your grades. The people telling you that getting a 1l job matters more than class probably go to a better school than us. Get those grades up to top 10% range if you want a shot at a job at OCI.

You've got a much more useful perspective here, and a better understanding of how easy it is for [EDIT: Illinois] 1Ls to get jobs when they start looking spring semester, but I mean a summer job. I think making a good connection and getting valuable experience in your field of choice is a lot more likely to get you gainful legal employment long-term than gunning for top 10%.

bias: I want to be an ADA (or, maybe, PD).

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 7, 2012

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007
Fyi, there are several recent entry-level postings for Texas AAG positions at the Austin office (non-child support). You, too, can be lucky enough to make a starting $46k! Ps the hours / quality of life are unmatched and you get to do cool stuff too. For instance, we recently wrapped up a 6+ yr lawsuit against a pharma giant (mythical benevolent healthcare law), which ended in a very large settlement.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

Omerta posted:

Hey Illini peoples, has there been a big shitshow there over the admissions thing?

Not really. People were upset when it first happened, the school had some meetings where they let students ask questions and gave very politically correct non-answers. The report dumped everything on Pless so no one else had to be held accountable. Now they basically carry on like nothing happened. There were some rumblings among some people to file a lawsuit but as far as I know nobody did. We'll see if it gets more interesting when the new rankings come out and we plummet and when we see the numbers of the new class.

PatrickKilpatrick
Jul 11, 2007

Sulecrist posted:

You've got a much more useful perspective here, and a better understanding of how easy it is for 1Ls to get jobs when they start looking spring semester, but I mean a summer job. I think making a good connection and getting valuable experience in your field of choice is a lot more likely to get you gainful legal employment long-term than gunning for top 10%.

bias: I want to be an ADA (or, maybe, PD).

I guess I was going at it from the perspective of BigLaw. Emanuel, it would probably help to know what your career goals are.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

TheBestDeception posted:

Fyi, there are several recent entry-level postings for Texas AAG positions at the Austin office (non-child support). You, too, can be lucky enough to make a starting $46k! Ps the hours / quality of life are unmatched and you get to do cool stuff too. For instance, we recently wrapped up a 6+ yr lawsuit against a pharma giant (mythical benevolent healthcare law), which ended in a very large settlement.

Motherfuck. I might have to think about this.

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Had my first legit court appearance today. It went well and I made opposing counsel look like an idiot and their client look like a liar.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

Had my first legit court appearance today. It went well and I made opposing counsel look like an idiot and their client look like a liar.

did he eat a whole tub of raw hummus with his bare hand

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Green Crayons posted:

What's best in life?

To eat your pie, to see more pie before you, and to hear the lamentations of those not eating pie.

I did this wrong. What I mean to say is, go to law school and enjoy your festering sense of accomplishment!

Did somebody call?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

HiddenReplaced posted:

nice bro :respek:

I've only had Babby's First Court Appearance type dates so far, but I might be first chairing a trial in March if the partner can't make it :madmax:

e: although it's family law, so there's still an element of Babby's First Court Appearance there

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 7, 2012

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Not really. People were upset when it first happened, the school had some meetings where they let students ask questions and gave very politically correct non-answers. The report dumped everything on Pless so no one else had to be held accountable. Now they basically carry on like nothing happened. There were some rumblings among some people to file a lawsuit but as far as I know nobody did. We'll see if it gets more interesting when the new rankings come out and we plummet and when we see the numbers of the new class.

How low is Illinois going to drop in the rankings though once they start using the updated figures?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

HiddenReplaced posted:

In my first appearance for the legal aid clinic I was in front of a Judge (most students start off appearing in front of a magistrate) as a friend of the court for a theft under $5000 w/ involving a breach of trust. The judge was very nice and helped me through some of my flubs. After that the guy got arrested for an outstanding warrant from a breach of his CSO.

I never went on record and closed the file right after :c00lbert:

beeradvocate
Dec 24, 2010
Good afternoon, internet, how are you today?

Right, so I have a question that lawyers might be able to offer some advice on.
Recently I interviewed for a contract position writing land leases in Ohio for a land management firm, where I was told there's lots of work to do. I felt the interview seemed to go well, and asked at the end when I might expect to hear something back; the interviewer said a week while a second person in the room told me three days.

Of course, I sent a thank you email the second I got back to the house, and then three days later, Friday, called the interviewer to check in. He thanked me for calling, and told me they'd be letting me know soon. Now, noon a full week later, I still haven't heard anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on calling/emailing/what might be going on? I was thinking definitely call on Friday if I haven't heard anything, but I'd really like to know for sure because a much worse position has become available that I don't want to turn down if this other position's a lost cause.

Right, so I spoke to a friend working at the company, she said there's lots of work and they have been getting back to people very quickly. That alter any opinions?

beeradvocate fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 8, 2012

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

Schitzo posted:

Ugh. Why can't I ever be better than you at anything (law related)? :arghfist::mad:

HiddenReplaced posted:

And then did you drive away from the courthouse in your fancy car? But congratulations!

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

beeradvocate posted:

Good afternoon, internet, how are you today?

Right, so I have a question that lawyers might be able to offer some advice on.
Recently I interviewed for a contract position writing land leases in Ohio for a land management firm, where I was told there's lots of work to do. I felt the interview seemed to go well, and asked at the end when I might expect to hear something back; the interviewer said a week while a second person in the room told me three days.

Of course, I sent a thank you email the second I got back to the house, and then three days later, Friday, called the interviewer to check in. He thanked me for calling, and told me they'd be letting me know soon. Now, noon a full week later, I still haven't heard anything.

Anyone have any thoughts on calling/emailing/what might be going on? I was thinking definitely call on Friday if I haven't heard anything, but I'd really like to know for sure because a much worse position has become available that I don't want to turn down if this other position's a lost cause.

Anyone have any thoughts? Let me know.

In my experience, it can take a while to get a new hire pushed through - so even if they told you a week, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes several weeks for them to get you hired.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Thanks for the responses everyone. I've already sent out a few letters to firms/judges, but I wasn't sure if there was a better strategy besides spamming my resume. I'm happy with working where I'm at, but the firm has been laying off partners and I'm worried they won't have anything for me to do come summertime.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've already sent out a few letters to firms/judges, but I wasn't sure if there was a better strategy besides spamming my resume. I'm happy with working where I'm at, but the firm has been laying off partners and I'm worried they won't have anything for me to do come summertime.

Here is what you do. Go to your current boss. Say 'Hey dude, I want to practice (X). Got any bros I should call?" and he will give you bros to call. Call those bros and say "Hey, I'm a law student interested in (X). My boss gave me your name. Want to talk to me about it?" Eventually they will say yes or not call. Go out to lunch with them, talk to them, then ask if they are hiring. If no, ask them if they have bros you should call. Repeat as necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Here is what you do. Go to your current boss. Say 'Hey dude, I want to practice (X). Got any bros I should call?" and he will give you bros to call. Call those bros and say "Hey, I'm a law student interested in (X). My boss gave me your name. Want to talk to me about it?" Eventually they will say yes or not call. Go out to lunch with them, talk to them, then ask if they are hiring. If no, ask them if they have bros you should call. Repeat as necessary.

Also do this with professors, especially if you are at a strong regional school.