Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Aww, come on. She doesn't even mention a cat(s) or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
Hey, I tried to make that hat once! I lost my patience for reading it and made something else instead. I might use the idea in the future but ignore the pattern entirely.

Anyway, I had the same question when I was reading it and I looked through the project gallery and think the 2x2 ribbing looks fine, maybe 1x1 would be nicer. It mostly looks silly in that picture because it's folded, but that might just be a matter of personal taste.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Haha, yeah. I'm going to make my friend a matching set of hat and glovies using that pattern with some #8 Royal Silk Garden.

I wonder though. I only have two skeins of that Noro, and the glove pattern (http://lifeincleveland.blogspot.com/2008/03/mmmalabrigo-glovies.html) uses only about 75 yards, so I have enough for both, but style-wise, would that look good?

I was thinking of one of three things:

1) Make the hat and glovies out of pure noro.

2) Make the hat and gloves with a black brim/cuffs like so:

3) Make the hat and gloves using a knit 2 rows black, 2 rows noro to get that sweet striping effect.

Any suggestions? Maybe combine 2 and 3? Maybe not use black? Oh God I'm so indecisive.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Basic Beater posted:

Haha, yeah. I'm going to make my friend a matching set of hat and glovies using that pattern with some #8 Royal Silk Garden.

I wonder though. I only have two skeins of that Noro, and the glove pattern (http://lifeincleveland.blogspot.com/2008/03/mmmalabrigo-glovies.html) uses only about 75 yards, so I have enough for both, but style-wise, would that look good?

I was thinking of one of three things:

1) Make the hat and glovies out of pure noro.

2) Make the hat and gloves with a black brim/cuffs like so:

3) Make the hat and gloves using a knit 2 rows black, 2 rows noro to get that sweet striping effect.

Any suggestions? Maybe combine 2 and 3? Maybe not use black? Oh God I'm so indecisive.

I think the black is a lovely choice with those nice rich jewel tones. And I like combining two and three - black cuffs and black stripes, assuming you have enough black.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think what I'll do is make the hat with just a black brim, because I've already knit her a 2-row striped sort of deal before, and then I'll just make two pairs of glovies, both with black cuffs/fingerholes, just one with the black striping and another with a solid noro body.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think that sounds good! I like asymmetry.

So one of my Christmas presents was a $50 gift card to KnitPicks. Naturally, this meant I had to go completely APESHIT and order $200 worth of stuff. But um, it was $50 OFF, right? Yes. That justifies it.

Top four are Swish Tonal, which I'm gonna use to make this from the latest Knitty:

Then I got two balls each of Chroma fingering in Lollipop and White or Bare or whatever they call it, which I'm gonna use to make this:
which is a Kate Davis pattern called the Funchal Mobius here, have a link: http://textisles.com/2011/11/19/funchal-moebius/.

And then the insanely orange thing is a spinning batt that was on sale and look, if you're already spending $130 what's another twelve dollars, you know? Plus I've never spun from a batt before, only roving. That makes it ok!

It shipped today. Hurry upppppppp and get here, yarn.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Then I got two balls each of Chroma fingering in Lollipop and White or Bare or whatever they call it, which I'm gonna use to make this:
which is a Kate Davis pattern called the Funchal Mobius here, have a link: http://textisles.com/2011/11/19/funchal-moebius/.

And then the insanely orange thing is a spinning batt that was on sale and look, if you're already spending $130 what's another twelve dollars, you know? Plus I've never spun from a batt before, only roving. That makes it ok!

It shipped today. Hurry upppppppp and get here, yarn.

Yeesssss, that cowl is the first mobius one I've seen I don't hate. Maybe I'm just a colourwork freak.

Also, yeah, what's another $12? Batts are fun to spin from, especially if you like long draw. :3:

It must be that time of year though, because I totally bought 10 balls of this:

To finally make Vivian.

I just hope the rest of it knits so quickly:

It was my birthday and the yarn store mails out 20% off coupons for birthday people. :3

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I just had to throw out about $20 of wool because of moths :(

I just bought $20 of wool that is probably going to sit around for a year until it gets chewed up by moths.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Roflex posted:

I just had to throw out about $20 of wool because of moths :(

I just bought $20 of wool that is probably going to sit around for a year until it gets chewed up by moths.

I lost a ton of roving back in the day because of moths. :( Broke my heart to lose it all.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
gently caress, that blows. I've never lost anything knitting stuff to moths, somehow. It's probably only a matter of time though, every year the tree right outside is loving crawling with the things. Little bastards.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I'm hoping the fact that I live in dry sunny california keeps moths out of my stash. I think I've ever only seen clothes moths once in my life. Still fearful of em though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Lavender sprigs and vigilance have kept me moth free so far. That and the bats that live in the tree outside. I live in terror they might get hold of one of my fleeces.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

Speaking of fleece... I had my first experience with raw fleece over the weekend. One pound each of Romney and Border Leicester - ye gods, the smell. :stare:
The Romney was full of poop, even though it supposedly had been skirted.

I think I'll stick to bunnies when it comes time to raise my own fiber animals.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Not all fleece smell like that. :( I haven't bought a fleece full of poo yet, though I did get one so full of mud and dirt that I was shocked to find out it was actually white and not a fawn colour after cleaning.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

FelicityGS posted:

Not all fleece smell like that. :( I haven't bought a fleece full of poo yet, though I did get one so full of mud and dirt that I was shocked to find out it was actually white and not a fawn colour after cleaning.

Thanks, Felicity - I think I won't be buying any more raw fleece online. I need to find a local-ish farmer so I can see before I buy.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Thanks, Felicity - I think I won't be buying any more raw fleece online. I need to find a local-ish farmer so I can see before I buy.

Yeah, all mine are local or were-local-to-me-at-one-point. Fleece are really one of those things that you need to see before you buy. Wool festivals are great for that. The only bad fleece I got I knew I shouldn't have but it was $12 and I'm a sucker for crimp. Even mud coated crimp apparently.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Oof, slowly catching up with this thread. A lot to read!

I'm waiting for the sun to come out this weekend so I can take non-crappy pictures:

Horatio Gates
Jul 8, 2007

Capitalist pigdogs have the most delicious blood.
Does anyone have any tips for controlling tension in your knitting besides the 'ol "wrap the yarn twice around your pinkie" advice most people tell me? I knit continental style if that make a difference.

I'm not quite a beginner knitter anymore, but I'm still having a lot of problems getting the tension consistent throughout a project. I want to move on from making scarves and headbands onto more difficult projects like clothing, but I know tension is key to getting something that fits. :(

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Horatio Gates posted:

Does anyone have any tips for controlling tension in your knitting besides the 'ol "wrap the yarn twice around your pinkie" advice most people tell me? I knit continental style if that make a difference.

I'm not quite a beginner knitter anymore, but I'm still having a lot of problems getting the tension consistent throughout a project. I want to move on from making scarves and headbands onto more difficult projects like clothing, but I know tension is key to getting something that fits. :(

For what it's worth, my continental tension is looser than my English knitting tension. What works for me is to keep the yarn 'trapped' between my index and middle fingers. That may not work for you if you hold your index finger way out like I've seen a lot of people do (I keep pretty just a hair away from the needle). The only other thing that's worked for me is having the working yarn going between index and middle, under the middle finger, and then back out between the ring and middle fingers.

You could try a tension ring, like is used for colourwork knitting. I've heard good things about them, though haven't had a chance to get one to test it out.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
I spent all morning a couple days ago going through four big boxes of yarn and half-finished projects from my mothers garage (Some hers, some mine from when I lived at home).

It started out well, but there's only so much untangling of acrylic and scratchy old wool I can take. And why did I think buying a lot of fuzzy fun fur type stuff was a good idea?

And it didn't help that my pile of stuff to stitch up just tripled - why oh why did I never learn to seam things before last year? Pieces of baby clothes just kept coming out at me (I knit them when I was sick because they were light weight) and I just kept thinking oh no I recognise that. . . I don't even mind seaming now that I've taught myself, but. . . I was already dreading the box I had waiting for attention, now it's overflowing two boxes.

So instead of looking at that I'm making some slippers for felting from some of the scratchy old wool - it's my first experiment with felting, so I might as well use something that came in a plastic bag of five balls with a $4 sticker on it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think EVERYONE buys some of that fun fur at some point. It's like a disease. Somewhere I've got lovely soft alpaca handwarmers with fuzzy teal, yellow, and blue muppet pelt cuffs. I just don't know. I could excuse it if I bought that poo poo when I was 13 or something, but this was well into my 20s.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

I think EVERYONE buys some of that fun fur at some point. It's like a disease. Somewhere I've got lovely soft alpaca handwarmers with fuzzy teal, yellow, and blue muppet pelt cuffs. I just don't know. I could excuse it if I bought that poo poo when I was 13 or something, but this was well into my 20s.

Dis all you want but back in 2003 there was an eyelash yarn (I think it was called Sirdar Jazzy or similar) and it was so loving soft. Not that nasty soft eyelash stuff that feels like cotton balls (GROSS), but silk soft. It was gorgeous, and my mum knitted me a fabulous metallic blue cardigan out of it, told me she hated me for making her knit with that stuff (hard to count PLUS slippery!) and told me if she ever saw it on the floor she'd choke me with it.

Long story short, it's lining a cat bed in an ex's house but god I wish I still had that to roll about in naked mmmmmmmmm

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

madlilnerd posted:

Dis all you want but back in 2003 there was an eyelash yarn (I think it was called Sirdar Jazzy or similar) and it was so loving soft. Not that nasty soft eyelash stuff that feels like cotton balls (GROSS), but silk soft. It was gorgeous, and my mum knitted me a fabulous metallic blue cardigan out of it, told me she hated me for making her knit with that stuff (hard to count PLUS slippery!) and told me if she ever saw it on the floor she'd choke me with it.

Long story short, it's lining a cat bed in an ex's house but god I wish I still had that to roll about in naked mmmmmmmmm

Some of the stuff I remember getting because it was so soft. . . but when I tried working with it it drove me nuts trying to differentiate the stitches. So it got hidden away in a box for six years. I have multiple balls of three different colours of the same yarn and I have no idea what to do with it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Give it away. As someone who has been there before the best thing to do with novelty yarn is to hand it off to the first fellow knitter you meet and run the other way.

It never ends, too. :( First it's fun fur. Then it's pom-pom yarn. Now I'm finding myself eyeing that web-like yarn that can only be made into a scarf. I think I need a yarn intervention.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

Give it away. As someone who has been there before the best thing to do with novelty yarn is to hand it off to the first fellow knitter you meet and run the other way.

It never ends, too. :( First it's fun fur. Then it's pom-pom yarn. Now I'm finding myself eyeing that web-like yarn that can only be made into a scarf. I think I need a yarn intervention.

Oh no, I'd forgotten about the pom-pom yarn. That was so awful I gave up before even finishing casting on and passed it off to my mother. Some of it might still be lurking in her house somewhere. I hope so much it's not among any of the places I've said I'll help her clean.

That said - apparently that web scarf yarn is super easy to use - mum's got a bunch for making everyones birthday presents. I've already got mine. The looser weaves are easier that the closer meshy ones, but they will slip off your needles at the slightest provocation.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

I sorta have this same problem with sock yarn. I know a lot of other knitters have the same issue, but I just have so much for someone who, regrettably, doesn't have that much time to knit anymore. I went from having 2-3 hours of time on the bus and only working 30-35 hours a week to driving to work and doing 55-60 hours/week.

I also can't stop casting on. I have 6 pairs of socks on the needles, though a couple need to be frogged. AND I want to start another one! I need a plain sock I can work on anywhere... like at my friends' pool league. I get teased SO MUCH for knitting at the bar (well, just for knitting in general but that's another story...) but there's really nothing more boring than watching people play pool.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
The second sleeve of the THING that has eaten my free time. The rest of this is in a sea container somewhere. It makes me a little nervous.

Thanks, FelicityGS, for the missing page

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

The second sleeve of the THING that has eaten my free time. The rest of this is in a sea container somewhere. It makes me a little nervous.

Thanks, FelicityGS, for the missing page

Haha, awesome. Glad I could be of help :) You have way more fortitude than me to knit that.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

I can give homes to wayward novelty yarn..

All of Wandering Knitter's pompom yarn is in my stash now, and I used some of it to make the softest pillow. :3: A couple days ago, one of my friends unloaded her fun fur yarn on me and I've been making hideous scarves with it ever since. Another friend gives me all of her sock yarn remnants, and I'm working on some mismatched/stripey socks with it.

I guess I make a lot of terrible things.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I think fun fur/novelty yarns have their place, for sure. I should look sometime and see if I have any to give away. I vaguely remember filling a garbage bag with stuff I didn't want a while ago...the question is where I put the garbage bag.

Yeah, I'm unorganized.

All my sock yarn remnants though are going into this thing (have not bought the pattern yet or anything): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

I lucked(?) into an enormous donation of yarn, mostly novelty yarn of all different kinds. It's pretty insane--three garbage bags full--but I make stuffed animals and pet scarves, so I figure I'm just supplied in that department for life. All the monster fur I could ever need.

Angry fun fur jellyfish monster, waiting for a proper puppet lining and nice pictures to go in my shop:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

I lucked(?) into an enormous donation of yarn, mostly novelty yarn of all different kinds. It's pretty insane--three garbage bags full--but I make stuffed animals and pet scarves, so I figure I'm just supplied in that department for life. All the monster fur I could ever need.

Angry fun fur jellyfish monster, waiting for a proper puppet lining and nice pictures to go in my shop:

Is that the terrible super-thick Martha Stewart "What the gently caress do I do with this?" yarn I spot? :buddy:

Almost every arts and craft store I've been to this month has the entire Martha Stewart line on clearance. I guess people didn't want overpriced tiny balls of yarn!

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Why, yes! Yes, it is! Isn't it...something?

That one I actually bought and paid for because I can stick wire into it and then cover it up with actual nice yarn, to be the base of a winged snake/hydra I want to make. But mostly because my friend and I spent way too much time at a craft store and things got a little out of control.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Almost every arts and craft store I've been to this month has the entire Martha Stewart line on clearance. I guess people didn't want overpriced tiny balls of yarn!

Don't know about you, but I'm highly disinclined to pay $7 or $8 (or whatever) for 5 yards of....whatever the hell that is. You get so laughably little I can't imagine what they think you're going to do with it!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

I think fun fur/novelty yarns have their place, for sure. I should look sometime and see if I have any to give away. I vaguely remember filling a garbage bag with stuff I didn't want a while ago...the question is where I put the garbage bag.

Yeah, I'm unorganized.

All my sock yarn remnants though are going into this thing (have not bought the pattern yet or anything): http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt

I just finished my beekeeper's throw pillow!

Super pleased with it :)

Scooty Puff Jr. fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 7, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My favorite part is how every store has a few "samples" showing what you could possibly do with this terrible yarn.

You could single chain it and wear it as an ugly scarf! You could buy $50 worth of it and make it into an ugly mobius scarf! I even checked the offical Martha Stewart yarn site and they have no patterns or project ideas for this yarn. At all.

On another note, I'm actually annoyed that all of the stores near me carry the terrible rope yarn and not this pretty roving. Still overpriced, but it's so hard to find good felting yarn these days. :smith:

e: Holy poo poo I want that beekeeper blanket :stare:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 7, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I just finished my beekeeper's throw pillow!

Super pleased with it :)

Oh, I love it! I don't think I'd ever have the patience to make an entire Beekeeper's Quilt, but this, this might be doable...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Holy poo poo I didn't believe it when you guys were saying it came in 5 yard lengths.

Because what the hell can you do with five yards of anything?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Monster tentacles, pretty much. Five yards of monster tentacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
That pillow and quilt look super amazing. I wish I had the time and patience for something like that, or enough sock yarn. Maybe I can start something similar with the stash of tapestry wool I bought last year from the thrift store..

In the meantime, I am nalbinding a terribly ugly blanket, because I was super jealous of the ugly blanket my friend was crocheting. I don't know how to crochet anything other that simple chains, and the idea of knitting strips or squares and sewing all of them up made me cringe. (In retrospect, I guess I could have made squares and picked up stitches along the edges to connect new squares, but let's pretend I thought of that and just didn't like it.) Nalbinding uses short lengths of yarn anyway, so this is a good stash-buster project.

Right now it's mostly shades of orange, yellow, green, purple, pink, and gray. It's all acrylic, and it's going to be the worst blanket ever. :3: