Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Sefer posted:

Exactly that. The original purpose was to get War and XPs back in print, fueled by donations that are basically preorders. It's gone a bit beyond that now.

I think it's best to look at it like a shop, a giant pre-order drive. If you factor in the PDF that every $10 and up donation gets it is a pretty good deal if you want some of the books.

The $1000+ to choose a short story was a pretty clever way to make some funds for the reprint. If I was rolling in cash I probably would have brought one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Ponsonby Britt posted:

More than a while, even - Redcloak says he'll contact Jirix "when we've established control of Girard's Gate", which is never. Either the Dark One will control it, or the world will unravel.

the spell takes a while to set up. they have to take over the place first

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

The lesson to take from the kickstarter is that if you ever make a comic you want to have in print, never, ever make it a full color comic.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HKR posted:

The lesson to take from the kickstarter is that if you ever make a comic you want to have in print, never, ever make it a full color comic.

Also, make good things and people will love you for it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So has this been getting any more media attention? I mean he is raising a lot of money and it'd be cool to read an outsiders view of it.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Yeah, I mean the Internet has just deemed him half a millionaire because he entertains them. That's pretty awesome.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.
EDIT: Wrong Thread

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 7, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vorgen posted:

Yeah, I mean the Internet has just deemed him half a millionaire because he entertains them. That's pretty awesome.
Well. It's not like it's his money. It's his company's money, a large portion of which is going to printing books. Sure, he'll probably end up with some cash in the end, but he's certainly not getting all of the money.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Endless Mike posted:

Well. It's not like it's his money. It's his company's money, a large portion of which is going to printing books. Sure, he'll probably end up with some cash in the end, but he's certainly not getting all of the money.

That depends. The end result of all this could very well see Burlew making a lot of loving money. All his comics will be super-size reprinted and there is obviously a market for this. The publicity will probably also increase his base by a large percentage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Affi posted:

That depends. The end result of all this could very well see Burlew making a lot of loving money. All his comics will be super-size reprinted and there is obviously a market for this. The publicity will probably also increase his base by a large percentage.

Not to mention that to satisfy the number of commitments he's going to be doing print runs on a much larger scale than he previously estimated, which means much better economy of scale for him, and a greater profit margin per book. Not much, but it all adds up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If he can make half a million towards reprinting the books, it's at least a pretty good bet that the sales on the actual books will be well over a million, isn't it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

If he can make half a million towards reprinting the books, it's at least a pretty good bet that the sales on the actual books will be well over a million, isn't it?

Not really... everyone who is intending to buy them is using the kickstarter to preorder them, basically, so most sales are accounted for in it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Not really... everyone who is intending to buy them is using the kickstarter to preorder them, basically, so most sales are accounted for in it.
I would imagine that the original intention of the Kickstarter was to ensure he could at least sell enough to make a minimum order from the printer to make it worthwhile. Like, yeah, a lot of people who would have purchased later if they were in print are probably getting them now, but Rich would be incredibly foolish to not order significantly more than what is necessary to fulfill the Kickstarter orders.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

There are probably other people like me, who would eventually like to buy and read all his books but don't have the scratch do get them all through the Kickstarter right now.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Sure, some. There's always some of anything. But the majority of the existing audience is just pre-ordering via kickstarter. I'ld bet non-kickstarter sales for the first year is less than 20% of kickstarter sales.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Ashcans posted:

There are probably other people like me, who would eventually like to buy and read all his books but don't have the scratch do get them all through the Kickstarter right now.

When I become loaded I will buy every print collection for the apocalypse. As it is I only have Start of Darkness and On the Origin of PC's, which had a higher priority as they are new material.

They are awesome, and I would advise everyone to get them, or at least Start of Darkness (SoD is the better book, the longer book and the book with crayon flashbacks in).

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Tinyn posted:

Sure, some. There's always some of anything. But the majority of the existing audience is just pre-ordering via kickstarter. I'ld bet non-kickstarter sales for the first year is less than 20% of kickstarter sales.

Don't forget the Kickstarter also allows him to put those books back into gaming stores and such

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Ashcans posted:

Even if you don't have enough for any of the books, consider whether you have a spare $10. You get a ton of stuff for a $10 donation thanks to all the strech goals he's added.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
I just would LOVE to know what Buckley thinks of the success of this drive. Mwa-ha-ha!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Effingham posted:

I just would LOVE to know what Buckley thinks of the success of this drive. Mwa-ha-ha!

I don't. Buckley might copy him and somehow magically succeed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sefer posted:

Even if you don't have enough for any of the books, consider whether you have a spare $10. You get a ton of stuff for a $10 donation thanks to all the strech goals he's added.

Oh yea, definitely. I just meant that there are probably a bunch of people (roughly 1500, looking at the kickstarter) who are interested in supporting the comic but aren't putting up enough right now to get all the books. All those people making smaller donations are potential book purchasers later, and the people that pledged enough to get 2-3 books will probably buy others at a later date as well.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

How many of those 1500 already got the books the first time around.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Comics Alliance has an interview about it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bongo Bill posted:

Comics Alliance has an interview about it.

quote:

RB: Being somewhat old school, I'm leaning toward electrum pieces myself. Though the encumbrance will be harsh, so I haven't decided.

:3: The success of this thing really makes me feel good about the world.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Effingham posted:

Rich Burlew posted:

What I really want to avoid is the temptation to make the next goal, "Buy Rich a Cintaq" or something.
I may be reading too much into it...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I may be reading too much into it...
I doubt you are. B^Uckley is kind of an anti-legend among webcomickers, unless I'm terribly mistaken.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Burlew is gonna have to look out for Garth Ennis: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427653332/erf

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

New update on the kickstarter, and apparently two-fifths of the money is going to postage. I just got the $10, but if there'd been a 'don't worry about the magnet' box I'd have ticked it. I just wanted the stories, and he's not gonna get any money after shipping to Oz.

Also, new bonus PDF! Romeo and Juliet parody.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

terminal mehmet posted:

Burlew is gonna have to look out for Garth Ennis: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427653332/erf

How is he going to write a children's book about a lapsed catholic irish immigrant punching superheroes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RickoniX posted:

How is he going to write a children's book about a lapsed catholic irish immigrant punching superheroes?

Um, it could it be a children's war story.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

MikeJF posted:

New update on the kickstarter, and apparently two-fifths of the money is going to postage. I just got the $10, but if there'd been a 'don't worry about the magnet' box I'd have ticked it. I just wanted the stories, and he's not gonna get any money after shipping to Oz.

Also, new bonus PDF! Romeo and Juliet parody.

From what I remember from other Kickstarters, there will be a survey sent out at the end to collect things like your mailing address for physical stuff and e-mail for electronic stuff. You'll likely have the opportunity to opt out of getting the magnet at that point.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
After seeing how much he's spending on shipping, I might get my book sent to my parent's home in the States, then have it sent from there to overseas (or pick it up myself late this year). I doubt $10 covers shipping across the Pacific.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RickoniX posted:

I was going to ask how he was going to gently caress up and put British slang into their mouths despite there not being any such thing as a Britain, but you got to that general territory before I did.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I just learnt that Garth Ennis, the author of that gigantic and at times embarrassing love-letter to America, Preacher, is Northern Irish. What the :psyduck:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I was going to ask how he was going to gently caress up and put British slang into their mouths despite there not being any such thing as a Britain, but you got to that general territory before I did.

While Garth Ennis is silly and all, this is a silly complaint too. You might as well ask, "wait, why are these characters speaking English? there's no England in this story!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NihilCredo posted:

I just learnt that Garth Ennis, the author of that gigantic and at times embarrassing love-letter to America, Preacher, is Northern Irish. What the :psyduck:

There's no fanatic like a convert.

Android Blues posted:

While Garth Ennis is silly and all, this is a silly complaint too. You might as well ask, "wait, why are these characters speaking English? there's no England in this story!"

There's a line in a Tom Robbins novel that I always liked, about how the characters are obviously speaking another language, but it wouldn't make a lot of sense for the reader that way, so "translation is being beamed into your mind via literary satellite."

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

NihilCredo posted:

Even if I hadn't known going in, I think I'd have suspected he was at least British, with the sometimes weird sentence structure characters espouse. I wish I still had the comics around for some examples, but sometimes Jesse would word a sentence in a way that sounded awkward if you imagined a Texas drawl, but made sense with an Irish or British accent.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Americans, other than the kind of pretentious dorks Ennis only includes when he wants to make fun of people, don't say "bloody", "arse", or "wanker". Ennis is not aware of this, or doesn't care. That's the joke.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

Americans, other than the kind of pretentious dorks Ennis only includes when he wants to make fun of people, don't say "bloody", "arse", or "wanker". Ennis is not aware of this, or doesn't care. That's the joke.

Well, presumably the characters in his kids' book wouldn't be Americans either, so however they speak is just however they speak. That's why it's not a very good joke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind the localisms, his editor will have their work cut out for them.

"Okay Garth, before I read the latest draft, remember what we talked about. If I read this, will I find any scenes with assrape or head trauma?"
"Haha, no, you don't need to worry about that. No arserape in there at all."

And then the editor opens the draft, immediately looks up at Ennis and sighs heavily.