Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Can I get the USPS to delay a letter for me so that it arrives on a certain day? If not will UPS/FedEx do this?

With the USPS, your letter is such an infinitesimal part of their daily haul no matter where, so I very much doubt you could get this done. UPS and FedEx, I could maybe see, but I don't know.

The only way to do it with USPS is send Express on Friday or Saturday and decline weekend delivery. That will all but guarantee a Monday delivery. But sending it now and saying "Please don't deliver until February 20" or what not? It will either get delivered when it would have or it will be lost forever. I am positive there's no specific-day mailing service, and they probably have no way of keeping track if you add it to something more expensive like Express.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mononymous
Mar 28, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

Look for "punk jackets" or "biker jackets". I'm not sure if those are exactly what you're after, but they might be made by the same people.

Edit: This sort of thing shows up a lot searching google for "zipper jacket leather": http://www.leathernxg.com/womens-leather-jacket/127-zipper-leather-jacket.html http://www.selectism.com/news/2011/05/07/real-mccoys-buco-j-22-horsehide-leather-jacket/

I agree with this, but I'd say a it's an eighties bike jacket that he's looking for. With the punk era, bike jackets, after Vivienne Westwood's bondage stuff, got a lot more complicated. Some of them, modeled after (I guess) Belstaff Rebels, were cotton, like the Bad jacket. If you want a jacket like that but don't want to look like you're cosplaying/in The Cult, just buy a regular bike jacket. You can buy cheap 80s punk/biker jackets off Ebay.

edited for removal of unnecessary bullshit.

Mononymous fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 7, 2012

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

In the NFL, is there any sort of interference ruling if a referee gets in the way of a play?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

kimbo305 posted:

Jeez, 30 min? That's long. You could do something about the surprising applications of math. That's your thing, right?

Something like this for the first half:
http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2011/07/those-algorithms-that-govern-our-lives.html
real fluffy, going for oohs more than substance.

And then you can bring it back to real careers, etc.

Watching that presentation made me realize how long 30 minutes really is. Good point in putting the razzle dazzle up top to capture their interest. I do sports statistics so at least some of the kids will have an inherent interest in what I have to say.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

SkunkDuster posted:

In the NFL, is there any sort of interference ruling if a referee gets in the way of a play?

Here's a link to the Football Funhouse Rules thread, you will definitely get the correct response there. And in fact I think the question may have been asked before.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431516

If I recall, there is no interference ruling if a ref gets in the way of the play. People used to use refs as screens, but it's also just as likely that a ref might get hit with a thrown pass and then it'd be a dead ball. I know they moved the position of the refs around recently to prevent possible interference as well.

E_Motion
Oct 26, 2004

Your fortuitous arrival is most welcome! Now, I am spared the bother of hunting you down!

College Slice

greazeball posted:

You'll go through customs at your first port of entry, then you'll have to claim your bag and put it on another conveyor (usually right next to it) that will take it to your next plane. I'm not totally certain about this, but Houston will probably be a quicker connection because there's a chance in LA that you get stuck at customs behind a massive planeload of people from China or Japan. I get to go through the US citizens queue when I go home, so I don't know how long the dirty foreigners queue takes exactly. I give myself 90 minutes to 2 hours, if I were you I'd give myself 2.5-3 hours just to be on the safe side. If you're booked through (one itinerary) I don't think you can just be bumped off the next flight if your arriving one is late, but I may be wrong.

Thanks, i'll see if I can get 2.5 hours. I know going through customs at JFK and Newark took me 40-45 minutes, and that's with being a dirty and brown foreigner. I presume it wouldn't be much longer than that since NY is probably the US's busiest port of entry?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

fuckpot posted:

Quick itunes question: is it possible for me to plug my iphone into a PC or mac that has never had my phone attached to it and play the mp3s of it using that computer's version of itunes? Or is there a way for me to play the mp3s off my iphone some other way?

Basically every time I plug my iphone into any PC or mac I am petrified it will automatically sync with its itunes and destroy my wonderful mp3 collection or destroy their collection :ohdear:

There's quite a few apps that will do this.
http://www.macroplant.com/phonetomac/
http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/
http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/index_irip1.php
http://www.headlightsoft.com/detune/

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
If UPS decides to wreck your package, what documentation do you need to prove an item's value when filing a claim?

I've got an item that sold for $2,000, but it's a fairly obscure collectible, so there's no predictable market price for it (it can range from around $1,000 to over $2,000), unlike, say, laptops.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
When you ship anything worth more than $100, you have to fill out a form and pay additional money to insure it at it's "declared value." After that, they'll likely pay out at that value, unless they think they can get away with less. (See http://www.ups.com/media/en/terms_service_us.pdf pg 35). So if you insured it at $2000, and they found a replacement at $1200, they'd give you $1200. If you insured it at $2000, and they couldn't readily find a replacement, they're probably shell out the full $2000.

Keep in mind that they put hard limits on things; for example, you're not allowed to ship anything you bought off the internet worth more than $5000. (See pg 34 for more examples.)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

E_Motion posted:

Thanks, i'll see if I can get 2.5 hours. I know going through customs at JFK and Newark took me 40-45 minutes, and that's with being a dirty and brown foreigner. I presume it wouldn't be much longer than that since NY is probably the US's busiest port of entry?

Don't connect in LAX!!!! The terminals there are in separate building so for most connections (especially international, probably) you'll have to go back through security.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
I ended up having to wear a wrist brace for a month for a hand injury, paid my bill for the doctor/xray/shot when I received it. Got another bill today, guess I missed that the guy that fitted (held the brace while I put my hand in it and pulled the velcro tight) me for it was a seperate company that works at the doctor's office. The bill was around $220 for a brace that sells for $20 online. I have never tried getting a medical bill reducded before, what should I say?

e: Oh and insurance did cover $100 of that, but should I call them or the medical company?

dms666 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 8, 2012

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

CraigK posted:

Can someone tell me about getting insulin and test strips without insurance? Pretty soon, I'm going to fall off of my parents insulin and after that I have no clue how I'm going to get the Lantus and Humalog I need to survive. Still looking for a job with a group health plan but that's looking less and less likely.

Ebay for the test strips. I am in the same situation since I lost my job and I am diabetic. The state you are from should take care of you somehow through clinics. If you need help just PM me.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
When you have apps on your phone, or on your computer and you update them, they are pretty much getting bigger right?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

When you have apps on your phone, or on your computer and you update them, they are pretty much getting bigger right?

Sometimes. Most of the time, in the case of like phone apps, the data is just being overwritten with new data. Sometimes this data can make the app slightly bigger or smaller, but mostly around the same, unless its an update which includes lots of new content.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm pretty sure this question would deserve its own thread, but I'm not very articulate with my words today, so I'm having trouble writing up a good OP for it. I also don't know whether it goes in the regular A/T forum, or BFC, so help there would be great as well.

Basically I want to know more about the process of starting a relatively small scale aquaponic farm for profit and food. I say "small" scale, but it wouldn't be an in home operation. The size of the project that I'm thinking of would likely require a warehouse or similarly large area to house protect the plants and fish from bad weather and cold, and the produce and fish that this thing would produce would be sold off to local restaurants, grocery stores, and farmers markets for profit.

I've read through this thread, and this article that was posted on page 2, which was the thing that inspired this idea. The problem is that that thread only really talks about the DIY aspect of an in home setup, whereas I'm thinking larger scale, and for profit.

Reposting this from a few days and pages ago, since no one's replied to it yet.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Where can I buy door knobs in bulk? The gold door knobs in my house look atrocious and I'd like to replace all ~20 or so of them.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

neogeo0823 posted:

Reposting this from a few days and pages ago, since no one's replied to it yet.
Its mostly for :420:, but you could look into large scale hydroponics and see how they do it? I don't know anything about either, but the first thread you linked said aquapoincs is quite similar to hydroponics. TCC might have some good info :shobon: Or maybe PM Eggplant Wizard and see if (s)he thinks it would be better in A/T or BFC. I would say BFC since its a for-profit thing and they can help with the budgeting and tax issues that will naturally arise.

FCKGW posted:

Where can I buy door knobs in bulk? The gold door knobs in my house look atrocious and I'd like to replace all ~20 or so of them.
Home depot and other home improvement stores like that will have door knobs if you're in the US.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 8, 2012

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

FCKGW posted:

Did the vigilante group at least supply the sack?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Aspartame is widely used in sodas, but not in other products such as chocolate. Instead they use stuff like maltitol. What is it about aspartame that makes it unsuitable for chocolate and pastries?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Baron Bifford posted:

Aspartame is widely used in sodas, but not in other products such as chocolate. Instead they use stuff like maltitol. What is it about aspartame that makes it unsuitable for chocolate and pastries?

Aspartame doesn't work well for baking, I don't know why it isn't used in chocolate stuff though.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
What's a good way to clean "wood" floor in an apartment? Using swifter mops leaves the floor sticky. Also, is there a forum / thread for turning our goony habits around?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ularg posted:

What's a good way to clean "wood" floor in an apartment? Using swifter mops leaves the floor sticky. Also, is there a forum / thread for turning our goony habits around?

If you're talking about wood laminate, I use this stuff. If you're in the U.S., Lowes also carries a kit which comes with a great mop with washable mop ends, one for dusting and one for wet mopping with this spray (or any other liquid you want to use). A few reviews seem to complain about it leaving a film but I've never had that problem.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Ularg posted:

Also, is there a forum / thread for turning our goony habits around?
There used to be a Chore Wars thread with a goon clan or something (I don't know much about Chore Wars), but I think it's gone now. I have no idea if that clan is still active, or if it'd even be what you were looking for.

For some topics but not others, there's

There are probably lots of other threads, depending on what you're looking for.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thank you, Helopticor and Droid Washington.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

fuckpot posted:

Quick itunes question: is it possible for me to plug my iphone into a PC or mac that has never had my phone attached to it and play the mp3s of it using that computer's version of itunes? Or is there a way for me to play the mp3s off my iphone some other way?

Basically every time I plug my iphone into any PC or mac I am petrified it will automatically sync with its itunes and destroy my wonderful mp3 collection or destroy their collection :ohdear:

Someone else linked software but why don't you take someone's PC speakers and plug them into your phone when you want to do this?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Where does the stereotypical wizard in blue robes covered in yellow stars and moons, with a pointy hat and white beard, come from? I could have sworn that it was Disney's The Sword and The Stone, but recently looking that up, Merlin is missing the stars/moons.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Where does the stereotypical wizard in blue robes covered in yellow stars and moons, with a pointy hat and white beard, come from? I could have sworn that it was Disney's The Sword and The Stone, but recently looking that up, Merlin is missing the stars/moons.

I think "The Wizard of Id" comic strip was done in the 60s too. He's a pretty solid representation of that.

edit: gently caress that; "Fantasia" and the "Sorceror's Apprentice" was from the 40s. Incidentally, a GIS for "Fantasia" brings up page after page of some large, dark-skinned lady.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 8, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Very Strange Things posted:

Incidentally, a GIS for "Fantasia" brings up page after page of some large, dark-skinned lady.

Yes, perhaps you've heard of this television show called "American Idol".

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm trying to think of this random game I saw a trailer for months ago. I remember it didn't really show any gameplay but it had what looked like a multi class type shooter similar to TF2 but from what I could tell it was more campaign or story oriented.

Things I think I remember from the trailer: the people are trying to stop some guy from blowing something up, one of the classes had a gun that shot expanding blobs, and another had a device that shielded the entire group near the end from some explosion.

I realize this is incredibly vague and probably not helpful, just driving me nuts trying to think of what this game was.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Anyone aware of a piano performance of Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky available on-line? I keep finding orchestral stuff on amazon, but I just want the piano performance.

Edit: Never mind, I found what I was looking for. I'm still up for suggestion if someone has a particular performance they'd recommend.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 9, 2012

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

couldcareless posted:

I'm trying to think of this random game I saw a trailer for months ago. I remember it didn't really show any gameplay but it had what looked like a multi class type shooter similar to TF2 but from what I could tell it was more campaign or story oriented.

Things I think I remember from the trailer: the people are trying to stop some guy from blowing something up, one of the classes had a gun that shot expanding blobs, and another had a device that shielded the entire group near the end from some explosion.

I realize this is incredibly vague and probably not helpful, just driving me nuts trying to think of what this game was.

Is it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSfjeYVpkQ

Or is it Monday Night Combat (not a new game)?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

couldcareless posted:

You'd probably have more luck here.

Edit: Unless the above post helped!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm generally loving terrible at waking up in the morning to an alarm. I want to try some sort of "gently caress you, you have to get up you lazy sack of poo poo" alarm clock, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid that with most of them, I'll do the mundane task of getting up and picking up this thing rolling around my room, turn it off, and go back to sleep. am I a lost cause already?

Any recommendations on an alarm clock that will get me up and alert pretty quickly would be great.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Lawnie posted:

I'm generally loving terrible at waking up in the morning to an alarm. I want to try some sort of "gently caress you, you have to get up you lazy sack of poo poo" alarm clock, but I don't know where to start. I'm afraid that with most of them, I'll do the mundane task of getting up and picking up this thing rolling around my room, turn it off, and go back to sleep. am I a lost cause already?

Any recommendations on an alarm clock that will get me up and alert pretty quickly would be great.

I dont have any specific links, but there are puzzle alarm clocks kicking around the internet. You have to solve some kind of moderately complex puzzle problem before the alarm will shut off.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
When I absolutely have to get up, I leave a loud alarm on in the bathroom. Once I'm there it's usually just easier to take a shower, and once I'm showering then I'm not going back to sleep.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

When I absolutely have to get up, I leave a loud alarm on in the bathroom. Once I'm there it's usually just easier to take a shower, and once I'm showering then I'm not going back to sleep.

Unfortunately I live in a house with 2 other people on the floor I live on, so that's not really practical. I'm going to have to look at amazon for something, I think.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

I used to keep a scrapbook as a child of cool nature stuff I found and I came across a really cool feather that looked like it was from a crow or raven. All black but the "stem"(?) part of it was a very bright orange. Would this have been from a crow or raven(never seen one of their feathers with the stem bit a bright orange) or what bird would it have been from. I found it in Northern B.C.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Trying to remember quote from something, not exactly sure what.

"do it do it now!"

Definitely not Predator. Any ideas?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

GET TO DA CHOPPA!

Oh, gently caress, that is Predator. Uh, do you have any more context? Pacing, accent, gender, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Gravity Pike posted:

GET TO DA CHOPPA!

Oh, gently caress, that is Predator. Uh, do you have any more context? Pacing, accent, gender, etc?

Definitely male gender. In my head I hear it as

"do it...... do it now!"