Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Really, why does Lego not make those bags with holes anymore. They are much better than the ones we have today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Pseudo-God posted:

Really, why does Lego not make those bags with holes anymore. They are much better than the ones we have today.

I bought the City Police Dog Unit set (7285) the other day and it had those holey bags?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

QPZIL posted:

I bought the City Police Dog Unit set (7285) the other day and it had those holey bags?

Yeah, they still do them. I had a few of them in the Fire Brigade modular set.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Travis343 posted:

So how is Heroica with two players? I'm interested in it but I really don't have anybody to play it with other than my girlfriend.

It's pretty good for a game or two. But the added fun really comes in when you add a 3rd of 4th person into the game. Makes screwing each other over a lot more satisfying.

It also makes it more of a challenge (depending on your ruleset) rather than just playing against one other person.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

MaliciousOnion posted:

This is a terrible crime. See if the store will sell the damaged boxes cheap.

My local Target also has Super Heroes, although no Lex Luthors :(

Why'd anyone want an emtpy box? :P

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Dug out my 8654: Scuderia Ferrari Truck today and all the stickers had started peeling and become brittle, which resulted in them cracking into tiny red flakes that stuck to everything in my Lego tub.

Has anyone got any tips to remove the bits and remaining stickers efficiently, or will I just have to continue tediously picking off all the flakes and getting them stuck to my fingers and clothes?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

beato posted:

Dug out my 8654: Scuderia Ferrari Truck today and all the stickers had started peeling and become brittle, which resulted in them cracking into tiny red flakes that stuck to everything in my Lego tub.

Has anyone got any tips to remove the bits and remaining stickers efficiently, or will I just have to continue tediously picking off all the flakes and getting them stuck to my fingers and clothes?

You could try soaking in warm soapy water. If that doesn't help, try progressively more unpleasant solvents. Test on a scrap brick first to make sure they don't dissolve, from experience things like Alcohols and white spirit are generally OK with plastics, acetone dissolves almost anything and will likely destroy bricks as well as stickers.

Turgid Phalanx
Aug 22, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

I saw a single S6 package (package, not box) at TRU last weekend. I have no idea how we're getting screwed so hard. All the Walmarts have like four-plus cases of S5 and they just refuse to put them on sale/clearance. No problem discounting big sets to 50% or more, but they just gotta gouge the poo poo out of those minifigs. :smith:

Tell me about it! I was at my local walmart last week trying to find what I wanted when the toy section manager told me I might want to wait a week or two. According to him the smaller stuff like the mini figs can only be dropped in price when individual stores/departments get clearance funds. They get X dollar amount that they are allowed to split how they see fit on lowering costs of slow moving items. He said to check make sometime after the first week of February because that was the earliest he was expecting the money to come in.

Went a couple of days ago and still not any lower... Then again, they were already $2 a minifig there. Hoping he wasn't pulling my leg when he said he was going to lower it more.

Has anyone got the new Tie Fighter? I want it, but I want to convert it to a Tie Interceptor. I just need to find some more black panels before I start building it... Unless someone here things it has enough already to do it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hamburlgar posted:

It's pretty good for a game or two. But the added fun really comes in when you add a 3rd of 4th person into the game. Makes screwing each other over a lot more satisfying.

It also makes it more of a challenge (depending on your ruleset) rather than just playing against one other person.

Could you possibly recommend a couple of modified rulesets? I just got Fortaan to take with me to play with my nephews and had a quick go to see how it worked, and it's got promise for sure. However, I'd like to emphasise the RPG elements and make it a bit harder.

I wanted to get one or two of the other boxes but I wandered around town for an hour and this was all I could find. I have the Nathuz set ordered but don't know if it will arrive in time.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
This just came in the mail today.

Big thanks to Pseudo-God for being awesome and sending it all the way from the UK to me for free!

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

Crazy Pigeon posted:

This just came in the mail today.

Big thanks to Pseudo-God for being awesome and sending it all the way from the UK to me for free!

I just got mine as well! Thanks Pseudo-God! Very awesome of you to send these out.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

I still have no real idea who Pudsey Bear is but I feel bad for the little guy. Did they create any kind of backstory for him and his ailment or do we simply accept him as he is?

In other news, LEGO Cuuso is seeing a rise in popularity and uniting of the popular blogs for this set to be made:

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-cuusoo-western-town-modular-buildings/

Echoing my comment left on the toysnbricks forum, I love the set and hope it makes it through, but... I don't think it's going to make it through. Yeah, it might get the 10,000 votes to go to review, but LEGO will take one look at this and decide it's not worth it. With the amount of pieces used that is easily a $200 set, which I just don't think will sell well.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Turgid Phalanx posted:

Has anyone got the new Tie Fighter? I want it, but I want to convert it to a Tie Interceptor. I just need to find some more black panels before I start building it... Unless someone here things it has enough already to do it.

You might want to take a look at last year's Tie Defender (which should probably still be easy enough to get) for doing that, it's much closer to an Interceptor to begin with. In fact, mixing that one with parts from a V-Wing to build an Interceptor was what got me hooked on Lego again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ireladd posted:

I still have no real idea who Pudsey Bear is but I feel bad for the little guy. Did they create any kind of backstory for him and his ailment or do we simply accept him as he is?

In other news, LEGO Cuuso is seeing a rise in popularity and uniting of the popular blogs for this set to be made:

Echoing my comment left on the toysnbricks forum, I love the set and hope it makes it through, but... I don't think it's going to make it through. Yeah, it might get the 10,000 votes to go to review, but LEGO will take one look at this and decide it's not worth it. With the amount of pieces used that is easily a $200 set, which I just don't think will sell well.

I'd probably pay $200 if it was the entire set. I'd love to get the LDD file from that and build it myself right now though. :(

Testro
May 2, 2009
I think the guy who made it said that he would like to see it as a product line, so rather than a one off, it'd be a Western town that you could buy in pieces - e.g. Bank in one set, Jail in another etc.

I'd love to own it, but I guess the price point would be high for each building regardless.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I don't think it has a chance of going through, but I am gladly voting for it and leaving a glowing comment about it, because I would certainly buy it. Even if they didn't want to sell it building by building, they could do each side of the street as a set to make it more affordable.

My problem with the modular buildings is that they're gorgeous and look like really fun builds, but I just can't justify that kind of cash for what amounts to just a boring building. The Lego kid in me wants a fun theme to get the same detail as the modulars (kind of how they did with the Imperial Flagship or the Medieval Market) so an Old West town would be amazing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Oh man, it'll never happen, but I would so buy that gigantic Jawa Sandcrawler on Cuusoo. That thing is fricken amazing, and I would spend a grand on that easy.

Which kind of brings me to my second point. When is Lego ever going to produce anything that approaches the high-quality MOC stuff? Sure, their really big, expensive sets are almost there, as well as their famous architecture line, but the vast majority of their stuff is so staid and plain. They release a cabin or an inn, it's basically four walls and roof. Look at some of the MOC stuff, with architectually interesting buildings with unique layouts and features. There's lots of crazy MOC stuff out there too that wouldn't break the bank in terms of brick counts either. Hell, they wouldn't even need to spend the time designing the stuff. Contact some of the builders featured on The Brothers Brick, buy out their design, and your done.

Turgid Phalanx
Aug 22, 2005

fezball posted:

You might want to take a look at last year's Tie Defender (which should probably still be easy enough to get) for doing that, it's much closer to an Interceptor to begin with. In fact, mixing that one with parts from a V-Wing to build an Interceptor was what got me hooked on Lego again.

Thanks! I've been wanting a Defender. I don't know why I didn't think about just using that set instead. Now to wait for it to get here from an Amazon seller.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm glad to see the western town's firearm store is bigger than the sheriff's office.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

ireladd posted:

That looks great! I want one as long as the price is good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe that set won't get made, but if there's enough interest in it, it could mean some kind of official Lego western theme coming back.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

They've also used the stickers from the Toy Story set for the Sheriffs sign.
I got that set and the big Buzz Lightyear cause they were bundled with the Army Men. I don't want to open it because I don't really like it, but IT'S RIGHT THERE IN MY LIVING ROOM AND URGE TO BUILD RISING.

I like the idea of doing modular stuff in other themes, but City and Western are really the only ones with both a defined "look" and a predilection towards square structures. Space would be cool, but there are too many conflicting aesthetics for it to be a unified set.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!
Well I am glad you guys enjoyed your gifts, I only ask you to spread the love of Lego to someone you think deserves it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rustie posted:

My problem with the modular buildings is that they're gorgeous and look like really fun builds, but I just can't justify that kind of cash for what amounts to just a boring building. The Lego kid in me wants a fun theme to get the same detail as the modulars (kind of how they did with the Imperial Flagship or the Medieval Market) so an Old West town would be amazing.

I'm happy with the modular buildings, and I'm glad we get them. The Deco stylings and detailing on them appeals to me so much. The Pet Shop is my next major buy mainly for the brownstone half of it.

On the other hand, I would absolutely love to see them expand the modular range into other themes. Medieval, space (especially space). I could see some nice Modular Space set, something along the lines of that prototype red/grey fueling depot set that I can't find a picture of right now.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

If anyone has one of the new X-wings, would you mind posting a few pics of it, I'd really like to see what kinda size it is when built, maybe something for scale by it :)

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Someone posted a thread full of pictures over at Eurobricks, although all they've got for scale is the minifigs that come with the set.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got around to uploading the images from my camera!

I turned things around with the Alien Tripod set, making a human-piloted grabber claw ship abducting a poor helpless Martian civilian. Also, it transforms into a helicopter for no real reason except transforming things are neato.

Bought three grab bags at the Lego Store a few weeks back, sorted them out and this is what I got:

A whole lot of dark red flat plates from the Robie House I believe, and a ton of other random stuff. I like it.

Digging through my big box of unsorted bits, I found a bunch of Dinosaur parts. Polly was not meant to be!

Cleaning out the closet, I found a box I ordered from a dude in California like ten years ago that I completely forgot about. He went to Legoland California and picked me up about four grab bags full of Trans-Neon Green Mirus, a promotional Bionicle mask. Soda can for scale, with an example Miru next to it. There's gotta be over a thousand of them in here.

Sorting my old Bionicle/Throwbot stuff that's been sitting in the closet for a decade yields many pieces that have broken over time, specifically ball sockets. Hopefully the newer designs for the sockets are more resilient to age, because these are less than 15 years old and already broken from nothing other than age!

And I put together a bunch of the original Toa and Toa Nuva(I forgot to put Lewa, the green Toa/Toa Nuva in the picture, but there's about half a dozen normals and two Nuvas of him) in preparation for sale. If interested in these or some of the TNGM(the green masks above), let me know. Click for full size.

ireladd posted:

It's awesome and all, but the username of the guy who made it in the article is very off-putting.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 7, 2012

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I picked up the Alien Tripod at Wal-Mart on clearance for $13. It's a great set and I can't stop fiddling with the legs. But because of this thread, all I can think about is how it needs the Lex Luthor Robot to fight with.

Captain Invictus posted:

Got around to uploading the images from my camera!

I turned things around with the Alien Tripod set, making a human-piloted grabber claw ship abducting a poor helpless Martian civilian. Also, it transforms into a helicopter for no real reason except transforming things are neato.

This is great. I'll probably take a crack at building it in the next few days.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
~Good Stuff~ came up on my local CL. Looking at the Bricklink prices I think I'm going to snatch it up. I can definitely make my money back I think, although the models look pretty cool so who knows.

Editing to add items and not link it so I don't get goonblocked.

Fooley fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 8, 2012

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Ingram posted:

Why'd anyone want an emtpy box? :P

Misread the post, didn't realise they'd been completely emptied. Usually the boxes I've seen that have been attacked just have the minifigs missing.

Botany As Optimism
Aug 2, 2008

ireladd posted:

It's modular. They'll split it in four and sell each for $75, and sell the carriage as a separate set. Think it would sell well if they did that, started a Modular Western Town theme

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fooley posted:

This Came up on my local CL. Looking at the Bricklink prices I think I'm going to snatch it up. I can definitely make my money back I think, although the models look pretty cool so who knows.
You really should never link stuff you haven't already bought and collected on Craigslist or else run the risk of either someone else grabbing it, or someone notifying the person of the item's real value. I've seen many a goon do that with linking to Ebay auctions and then be like "aaaaaagh, who bought it, I was gonna buy it :smith:"

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Captain Invictus posted:

You really should never link stuff you haven't already bought and collected on Craigslist or else run the risk of either someone else grabbing it, or someone notifying the person of the item's real value. I've seen many a goon do that with linking to Ebay auctions and then be like "aaaaaagh, who bought it, I was gonna buy it :smith:"

That was in the back of my head but yeah, that's a very good point.

Lego Creator Roaring Roadsters 4896
Lego Creator Prehistoric Power set 4892
Lego Racers Enzo Ferrari 1:17 scale 8652
Lego Racers Ferrari 430 Spider 1:17 scale 8671
2 gallon bags of assorted lego parts and minifigures.

I know the Ferarri stuff holds its value pretty well, and creator sets are always awesome. At $40 for the above, I should jump all over this, yes?

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Fooley posted:

That was in the back of my head but yeah, that's a very good point.

Lego Creator Roaring Roadsters 4896
Lego Creator Prehistoric Power set 4892
Lego Racers Enzo Ferrari 1:17 scale 8652
Lego Racers Ferrari 430 Spider 1:17 scale 8671
2 gallon bags of assorted lego parts and minifigures.

I know the Ferarri stuff holds its value pretty well, and creator sets are always awesome. At $40 for the above, I should jump all over this, yes?

I know that Lego's somewhat of a limited medium, but god drat those Racers Ferraris look like poo poo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The FXX looked better:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=8156-1

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I could see some nice Modular Space set, something along the lines of that prototype red/grey fueling depot set that I can't find a picture of right now.

Have you checked the Modular Moonbase fanstuff? I remember at one point it was THE big thing for AFOLs, with dozens of people bringing modules to cons, with insanely awesome results.

On a standard baseplate, it featured a fixed specification for inter-module linking that was simple and universal. Like ISO LL 928 instead of ISO 9000.

fakeedit:
http://www.brickiwiki.com/page/LEGO+Moonbase
http://www.cclapcenter.com/2008/01/obsession_of_the_moment_lego_m.html

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Which kind of brings me to my second point. When is Lego ever going to produce anything that approaches the high-quality MOC stuff? Sure, their really big, expensive sets are almost there, as well as their famous architecture line, but the vast majority of their stuff is so staid and plain.
Probably never, unless they can convince MOC creators to license their stuff for a nominal fee.

There's a few reasons for this. One, the current high level stuff they're doing like London Bridge and the Modular Buildings are popular, but they're nowhere near as popular as something like Hogwart's Castle. There's a lot of cost that goes into production that you can only amortize out over very many sets. For example, you have the cost of paying a designer to build the kit, then you have the cost of ramping up the production of the pieces in the colors and quantities needed, the logistics of sorting those pieces and getting them into a box, the design and printing of that box, and the design and printing of the instructions. None of those costs are trivial.

Obviously, there's a market out there for $1000 kits, as the UCS Falcon shows us, but how do you know the market will pay such a cost and is that a risk you're willing to take? The reason a lot of the really expensive kits escalate in value over time is because so few bought them when they were new.

beato posted:

Dug out my 8654: Scuderia Ferrari Truck ...
This is my :smith: kit. I wish I had kept the one I gave as a gift. Though it was greatly loved, it never got built.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ecureuilmatrix posted:

fakeedit:
http://www.brickiwiki.com/page/LEGO+Moonbase

Holy poo poo the Ice Planet- and Castle-themed ones are so loving cool

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ecureuilmatrix posted:

On a standard baseplate, it featured a fixed specification for inter-module linking that was simple and universal. Like ISO LL 928 instead of ISO 9000.

I just usually shatter-fry the primary buffer panel and re-calibrate the warp flux injectors to accept a 3.5% variance in the field frequency.

(seriously I have no clue what you just said)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Sockser posted:

Holy poo poo the Ice Planet- and Castle-themed ones are so loving cool

Seriously, these are too good.

I would buy any creator level sets like this in a heartbeat.