Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Antinumeric posted:

Do any of you get it where you think the opponent has tapped while rolling, so you begin to let go and it turns out they didn't. I mucked up an RNC last session and it's really bothering me, I'd hate to do it in a more serious setting.

In a competition setting you have a referee whose job it is to know if someone tapped, so you can err more on the side of applying the lock or choke. In a practice situation it's always better to let go if you aren't sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Illegal Username posted:

1. High guard.
2. Mind the distance.
2. Throw straights.
3. If he rushes you, do that one thing you trained, you know that one.

Plan B: :byodood:

These are really good plans, that one time when I constructed a better one it horribly failed.

I also have used this variant:

2. Throw straights hooks and uppercuts

When I knew I the other one has no boxing.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Thoguh posted:

In a competition setting you have a referee whose job it is to know if someone tapped, so you can err more on the side of applying the lock or choke. In a practice situation it's always better to let go if you aren't sure.

Thanks, that helps. I guess I know I had it and that's what matters, won't let it bug me next time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Antinumeric posted:

Thanks, that helps. I guess I know I had it and that's what matters, won't let it bug me next time.

Trust me, it's much different in competition with a ref. You go until the ref says "stop" or "break". Otherwise, keep carrying on. You did the right thing by letting go. Better safe than sorry when training.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Illegal Username posted:

I cover them up with athletic tape when i'm training, with a waterproof patch at work, and leave them as they are otherwise to let them breathe.

Broken skin is great fun when you need to use alcohol based hand sanitizer almost religiously at your work.

Just straight up athletic tape?

I also jammed the poo poo out of the ring finger on my left hand. I've got an awesome sausage finger. I think I can get away with taping it to my pinkie and proceeding as normal.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

MalleusDei posted:

Just straight up athletic tape?

I also jammed the poo poo out of the ring finger on my left hand. I've got an awesome sausage finger. I think I can get away with taping it to my pinkie and proceeding as normal.

Yeah, just straight up athletic tape. Cuts down on the friction reopening the wound. Wraps will cut down on the impact but don't do much to protect from friction. Also keeps blood from getting into your wraps and making them smell god awful immediately.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I have a job interview tomorrow and my face is a bit banged up from BJJ :ohdear:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

I have a job interview tomorrow and my face is a bit banged up from BJJ :ohdear:

Look at it this way: you have a ready topic for small talk and breaking the ice.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

origami posted:

Smile and laugh about it. For some reason, tons of people like to talk to me when I have a black eye.

gently caress, I had to go to court with one (and I wasn't even the defendant; I was the lawyer!)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

gently caress, I had to go to court with one (and I wasn't even the defendant; I was the lawyer!)

I haven't had to explain facial bruises at work yet, thank god.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 10, 2013

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Drewjitsu posted:

Thank god this hasn't happened to me yet, lawyer buddy :objection::respek::objection:

Lawyers must like martial arts. I'm a lawyer too. One of my coaches is also a lawyer. Or maybe it's just that there's way too many lawyers. (I'm trying to become an accountant instead)

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

origami posted:

i didn't have any facial marks at the time, but talking about martial arts pretty much scored me the job at my last interview. i mentioned it in passing because i scheduled my availability around training and it was seen as a good thing, as far as my boss knows BJJ may well be kung fu and judo chops and poo poo but he had a positive image of martial artists as dedicated, honest people and basically hired me on that assumption.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My worst fear is to get a huge black eye and have to go teach the next day and scare the secretaries away so I never get called back.

Also, I got smashed straight on the head today, I was so scared I had a concussion for a few second but I think I'm fine. God I hate when things like that happen.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-pleasures-of-drowning/

This is a pretty amazing article and I think everyone should read it.

From the article:
"I can now attest that the experience of grappling with an expert is akin to falling into deep water without knowing how to swim. You will make a furious effort to stay afloat—and you will fail. Once you learn how to swim, however, it becomes difficult to see what the problem is—why can’t a drowning man just relax and tread water? The same inscrutable difference between lethal ignorance and lifesaving knowledge can be found on the mat: To train in BJJ is to continually drown—or, rather, to be drowned, in sudden and ingenious ways—and to be taught, again and again, how to swim.

Whether you are an expert in a striking-based art—boxing, karate, tae kwon do, etc.—or just naturally tough, a return to childlike humility awaits you: Simply step onto the mat with a BJJ black belt. There are few experiences as startling as being effortlessly controlled by someone your size or smaller and, despite your full resistance, placed in a choke hold, an arm lock, or some other “submission.” A few minutes of this and, whatever your previous training, your incompetence will become so glaring and intolerable that you will want to learn whatever this person has to teach. Empowerment begins only moments later, when you are shown how to escape the various traps that were set for you—and to set them yourself. Each increment of knowledge imparted in this way is so satisfying—and one’s ignorance at every stage so consequential—that the process of learning BJJ can become remarkably addictive. I have never experienced anything quite like it."

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
That is one incredible article. I liked the other one of his he linked about self-defence, It should be a must read for anyone studying martial arts to protect themselves.

I do feel really bad for that Aikido master however, it must be really disappointing to find out you are actually poo poo.

edit: here's the direct link. It possibly would have been a better response to that guy a few pages back asking for a good self-defence martial art than the continual piss-taking he received.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 8, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Thanks BN that was a great read. So was the SD article Antinumeric suggested.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I wish I could take up a form of martial arts or kickboxing so bad, but it's so damned expensive!
There's a class a friend of my dad runs, he's really intense and his drop in classes are only 10 dollars but I have class both nights he runs them :qq:
Maybe once classes wrap up early March I can go.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Boxing gyms are cheap. Really really cheap.

mindtwist
Jun 21, 2002
Think you, 'mid all this mighty sum of things for ever speaking? That nothing of itself will come, But we must still be seeking?

KidDynamite posted:

Boxing gyms are cheap. Really really cheap.

There's a boxing gym in my town that's completely free. If you don't plan on doing amateur fights under the coach I don't think you get a lot of attention and probably get used as a punching bag for the benefit of his fighters, but for that price you can't really argue.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Antinumeric posted:

That is one incredible article. I liked the other one of his he linked about self-defence, It should be a must read for anyone studying martial arts to protect themselves.

I do feel really bad for that Aikido master however, it must be really disappointing to find out you are actually poo poo.

edit: here's the direct link. It possibly would have been a better response to that guy a few pages back asking for a good self-defence martial art than the continual piss-taking he received.

I'm putting this in the OP I think it does a pretty good job of explaining what "self defense" really means.

EDIT: I expanded the self defense section to be more comprehensive, since its a really common newbie topic that we all get pretty tired of rehashing. Please take a look and let me know if I should add anything.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 8, 2012

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I was thinking of writing a big effort-post on real self-defence, but that article pretty much covers everything, One thing I was going to include was a story from quite a while back in this thread where someone described how they got accosted by a drunk guy, all their training went out of the window due to adrenaline and they just shoved the drunk guy over and walked away. Everyone was saying that was perfectly natural and probably the ideal outcome. And how the only way to not feel like that was to get into lots of "real" fights, which is hardly ideal.

I'll see if I can drag the post up, it highlighted a lot of the misconceptions about martial arts and self defence. I don't know if it is too much for the OP tho.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I remember that, good example of doing pretty much the right thing under stress. I can always edit it down.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Lawyers must like martial arts. I'm a lawyer too. One of my coaches is also a lawyer. Or maybe it's just that there's way too many lawyers. (I'm trying to become an accountant instead)

Stick with it, or get into criminal defense work. Surprisingly, you'll have a natural client base at the club.

Accountants are boring!

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
It's time for *dramatic voice* Tales of Self-Defence!

Round 1!

Fleshpeg from page 74 posted:

I was in a huge line for a roller coaster a few weeks ago when some rear end in a top hat and his girlfriend cut in line in front of us. One girl in our group called him out on it and his response was basically "gently caress you, what are you going to do about it?" I will admit that a small part of me wanted to double-leg him into the ground and choke him out in front of his girlfriend. But logically, there's not really a winning scenario. He either beats the poo poo out of me, which is not good for me, or I beat the poo poo out of him and possibly get arrested and have to deal with legal issues over getting onto a roller coaster faster. It sucks for your ego, but not getting into a physical confrontation unless you're protecting yourself or others is usually the best choice.

Don't get into a self-defence / fight situation.

Round 2!

Willie_Dee from page 51 posted:

He then got in the face of another girl I was with saying how I was an rear end in a top hat so I pushed him back and told him to gently caress off. He came forward again, I pushed him back again, he then through a massive looping right hand punch at me that I easily ducked under, thought about going for the double leg and planting him but instead just shoved him whilst he was so massively off balance from throwing such a telegraphed punch and being drunk.

He went flying, a good 3 or 4 meters, crashed into some people and fell into a table and then got up again, I didn't move forward and instead just held at my hand and shouted aggressively "stay the gently caress back, get back, get back" (I have no idea why I shouted this and didn't say something better), at one point he looked like he was going to come forward again so I did a small boxing shuffle and got my hands ready again (mostly to try and calm myself down and try and think), and I think he changed his mind from this and walked away. A few people congratulated me, my heart was racing for a good 15 minutes afterwards and I felt horrible, embarrassed and kind of sick.

If you do get in a fight / accosted get out of it as quickly as possible.

Round 3!

Omglosser from page 52 posted:

I was at a bar with a female friend once and this dude with them was OBLITERATED drunk and kept trying to finger blast my friend through her jeans.(he worked his way up to it, repeatedly grabbing her inner thigh then escalating, etc etc). I handled the situation very poorly when I reached over, crushed his hand in mine and glared him in the eye and said "Keep your loving hands off of her!" He walked over to me, pushed me a bit(I was still sitting down), then he grabbed a glass ketchup bottle to smash it over my head. I froze. I had no idea what to do and I knew people were expecting me to do something. So, I grabbed the bottle and held it close to my navel, using leverage in that way to keep it in my control. He yanked a few times and spewed a couple "YOU WANNA GO?!" in my face, to which I replied "You don't wanna get physical with me dude. Bad idea." But I had started it, you see. He backed down when someone got between us and I left, shaky and feeling ashamed.

The whole thing could've been avoided if I had just switched seats with her the first time he touched her thigh.

If you don't get out of it as quickly as possible hope to god someone else intervenes between you two and stops it escalating, otherwise someone is getting badly hurt when they didn't need to.

Throughout all of these note the adrenaline rush and the lack of thinking. Even if you know a martial art you will not be fighting very effectively due to this. The only way to stop this is to get into enough real fights that you are able to think clearly, but this will probably give you PSTD or some other sort of psychological problems. You will certainly not be a better person for it.
I don't think any amount of martial arts will stop this as at the end of the day you know the opponent is not trying to kill you, you cannot make that guarantee in a street fight. It's a big difference.

The one time I was in a situation where a fight was about to break out I did the dumbest thing possible; in my adrenaline rush I picked up a knife. Things didn't escalate higher because I had kept it hidden, and my friend managed to talk the guy down. If I'd made it clear I was going to defend myself with it egos would have got in the way, bluffs would be called and no matter what someone would be left hurt and everyone ashamed. Don't be me.

edit: That's way too much for the OP, oh well.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 8, 2012

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Where have all the good natured brawls gone to, or is just that people don't talk about them on the internet because of... well I can think of several very good reasons actually. I've seen many many more fights which end when someone yells uncle or is obviously beat or that end for SOME reason but which would have never gone as far as someone killing someone except by the most unfortunate accident. I have actually sat down with a police officer who told me that come on, if you wrestle someone on the street and someone DIES, it's the loving shittiest of luck ever. (He also told me people kicking downed opponents in the head is on the rise, and this causing severe damage is more a rule than lovely luck and it's really worrying.)

Take this post with a grain of salt and not too seriously since I'm not saying DURR FIGHTING IS OK but really just having brawls, it did happen. Look at any Youtube videos of Russian (or East European) reality shows! If someone isn't punching someone else in the face in serious anger, it's fake :v:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
None of those stories were worth repeating. Simple examples of people getting walked over and the rear end in a top hat in those stories has been given no incentive whatsoever to not do it again next time.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTs3TLo414

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Nierbo posted:

None of those stories were worth repeating. Simple examples of people getting walked over and the rear end in a top hat in those stories has been given no incentive whatsoever to not do it again next time.

It feels like you missed the point, I was posting about self-defence and staying out of trouble, not how to get into fights with arseholes and show them up. I mean if you want to do that sure but it's not my job to teach them a lesson and I'd rather resolve situations with as little violence as possible, even if it involves losing face (within reason).

As for old fashioned brawls, I don't know, I got into plenty of fights at school but it kinda stopped after then. I guess it's a cultural thing.

Antinumeric fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 8, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Nierbo posted:

that's kind of the point. None of those situations was anywhere worth the consequences. Kicking a bully's rear end just means you get to deal with going to civil and criminal court. Its stupid but thats life

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It might not actually be tales of self defense properly, but since I started working hospital security, I've manhandled more than half a dozen people, and the first one was on my second shift on the job. Without martial arts experience I'm sure (atleast the first) situation would have freaked me out, but by being used to getting physical, I was able to stay calm and do my job nicely.

I should say that this is pretty different from an actual fight because 1) I usually have a partner (but not always), and 2) I have at the very least least a few minutes to prepare as I run from one end of the hospital to the other once the alarm pager goes, so it's not a split second decision that lands me in a physical confrontation, which most fights will probably end up being for a sane person that doesn't go out looking for trouble.

e; basically what I am trying to say is that martial arts training definitely isn't useless for a real life confrontation- or jits isn't, at any rate.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage
So I went to my first BJJ class. My first ever wrestling class a few years ago during the warm up I was pulled aside and not allowed to somersault anymore since I was doing it wrong so it felt good not to be embarrassed straight away this time.

Everyone in the class seemed friendly and I got taken aside to learn closed guard, side control and mount along with a mounted armbar by one of the injuried members. I did have some issues with the class that are nagging at me I thought I might bring up with goons.

When I went in I was asked if I had martial arts experience. I did a few months of wrestling but I thought it would be alot easier just to say that I didn't since I know nothing about BJJ in case that changes anything.

The instructor was disinterested in speaking to me and I barely had any contact with him. He is a brown belt but that's pretty much all I know about him since it was a struggle to speak with him before, during or after class. I waited back after the class while he and the other students were just hanging around chatting to thank him for having me in this class. He was in an argument with the MMA coach about how important belts are since people want to feel like they are earning something and how his MMA should have belts or at least certificates.

When I spoke to him to thank him for the class he asked if I was planning to come back and at that point I was since I was all hyped up on the BJJ owns train. At this point he turns to another student and in front of mesays "yeah that's what that guy on Monday said as well" and went back to speaking to the others. That's it he has decided he is now done speaking with me since he knows i won't be back. This kinda killed any positive feelings I had toward the class and while I understand that alot of people do try out martial arts and come once or twice and then quit I don't see how completely ignoring a new member during the class is going to help you keep new members. This wasn't exactly a big class either.

The brown belt seemed kinda boogan, swearing alot and getting in arguments with the MMA coach about how important giving people belts is. This is a pretty big change from my old gym where the two BJJ black belts were incredibly friendly to everyone even if they didn't train BJJ like myself.

One of the members was given his blue belt and whipped with belts in front of his parents, one of which nearly caught him in the eye. Is that a BJJ belt thing? Never had anything dumb like that in wrestling and I don't recall ever seeing anyone belted at my old gym.

I'm sure if I kept training at the gym it would be fun and I'd learn some sweet BJJ but I'm wondering if I should keep looking. Maybe the instructor just hates new students and doesn't pay attention to you until you're locked into a contact for a year and from what I understand getting a new belt takes alot of time so it's not like the class is whipping people every lesson.

An I overreacting goons or should I keep looking around?

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 9, 2012

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The atmosphere of a gym is pretty important, honestly. If you feel like you learned a lot, maybe stick around a few weeks and see if the place gets friendlier. Otherwise, I'd look around and find a place that's less hostile to new students.

On a different topic, could somebody who knows more about striking explain to me the differences between boxing and MMA striking? I have already noticed you cover up/block strikes differently because the heavier gloves give you more surface area to stop the incoming blows. And I am guessing that the stance/footwork is a little different to help stop incoming takedowns. I wonder about ducking and weaving etc when there are knees and kicks involved. Anything else? As I absorb the boxing habits I just want to keep in mind what is universal and what is boxing-specific.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I would stick around a little while longer. It's possible your instructor is a total jerk and you'll never get along with him, but one class is too soon to know for certain.

SolidRed posted:

One of the members was given his blue belt and whipped with belts in front of his parents, one of which nearly caught him in the eye. Is that a BJJ belt thing? Never had anything dumb like that in wrestling and I don't recall ever seeing anyone belted at my old gym.

This, and the new promotions getting thrown a lot, is a tradition in a ton of clubs. I dont know what the roots are, but it's not meant to be mean spirited.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Whipping new belts isn't that unusual, although it's less common than it used to be.

However the instructor sounds like a tool. I would be very cautious about committing to training there if he teaches the majority of the BJJ classes.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

If you like it and people are cool then go for it. Just don't start quoting Bruce lee at people on the internet, no one likes that.

Heh, I may be one of the few people on the internet that doesn't think too much of Bruce Lee. Oh, no doubt he's an awesome fighter, but I kinda feel he's overrated.

But yeah either way, the only swollen head I'll be getting is from the eventual continuous beatings during training hours!

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

SolidRed posted:

When I spoke to him to thank him for the class he asked if I was planning to come back and at that point I was since I was all hyped up on the BJJ owns train. At this point he turns to another student and in front of mesays "yeah that's what that guy on Monday said as well" and went back to speaking to the others.

Try not to take it personally. Martial arts schools, especially competitive ones, tend to have high turnover rates with students. Experienced coaches usually won't spend much time on new students unless they know they're going to stick around for awhile and take their training seriously.

Kumo Jr.
Mar 21, 2006

JON JONES APOLOGIST #4

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

Yeah dude. If you want him to spend some time with you, than you should commit some time to doing things his way. If you quit because of this, than you're probably just looking for an excuse to quit. Prove him wrong. The first lesson of martial arts is to just show up. It`s the difference between those who excel, and those looking for an easier way.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

On a different topic, could somebody who knows more about striking explain to me the differences between boxing and MMA striking? I have already noticed you cover up/block strikes differently because the heavier gloves give you more surface area to stop the incoming blows. And I am guessing that the stance/footwork is a little different to help stop incoming takedowns. I wonder about ducking and weaving etc when there are knees and kicks involved. Anything else? As I absorb the boxing habits I just want to keep in mind what is universal and what is boxing-specific.

You doing boxing at the moment? I'll break up what I think about it, in the same order you went through this. And sorry, I don't know how to say what I want in two paragraphs :v:

Guard: Boxers want to protect the head and their midsection from punches. You keep your mitts either at your jaw (where you launch your strikes) or your temples (when under fire). While it makes your head hurt, taking shots to your forehead is sort of ok, and might hurt your opponent more than you when your jaw is properly tucked. The larger gloves work as a barrier which is difficult to work through as long as you keep them close to your head. You still want to deflect punches off your gloves, when absorbing hard punches squarely it still causes a tremendous concussive effect. Elbows are close to your body to deflect shots to the ribs, the liver and you really don't want to get tagged to the solar plexus. Keep the elbows tucked in and your defense a tight package. MMA fighters in general keep their hands lower and more opened up to allow for the kick and ground fighting techniques involved.

Stance: Boxers can't "box too low". Someone like Mike Tyson practically hung his rear end on the ground when coming in. Striking upwards protects you from counters - I think a good universal habit to remember. Boxing low improves balance. Balance improves or rather makes it possible to throw effective combinations. You are not going to get kicked in the face. Boxers keep their feet closer to the ground: they have no need to avoid kicks or takedowns and hence have no incentive to zap away against such long distances attacks. If you get kicked in the leg just let your leg roll with the kick if you can't check it - boxers can ignore this and stand more firm. Boxers dance around when looking for a new angle or resting but when they are about to exchange their feet are planted, you never want to lose your balance because it makes launching combinations that much harder and the wild one punch KO attempt swings you sometimes see in MMA are out the window. (Balance is universal though.)

Ducking/Weaving: Good head movement is of course universal, you can slip a hook or a roundhouse the same way. However the low stance or weaving and bopping often seen in boxing is best left to Anderson Silva in MMA. Between boxing, kickboxing or nevermind MMA the ducking and weaving is a different game, as you note doing it like a boxer would leave you open to knees and kicks where you least want them, the head.

Anything else: in MMA because of the distance, the upright stance and the hand position you can punch differently to be effective, long looping punches to the head or to the body are a much higher percentage strike against an MMA fighter with his spread, low hands and small gloves. So is a quick well timed lunge forward with a single power punch. A boxer would deflect or even slip those because of his superior head movement - he needs it every fight, every sparring session, the MMA guy doesn't. As an MMA guy you're better off just getting out of the way when punched at - and they often do by leaping backwards with their lighter feet and more upright stance, in boxing the large gloves let you deflect them, stay in the pocket and counter immediately. When MMA fans watch boxing they often wonder how it is that the boxers are even standing after round 3 never mind 10. It's because they are actually taking much less damage they think they are, at least in the short term (in long term the repeated concussive strike of the boxing glove probably leave you worse off later in life). Of course in MMA how you box is often determined how you match up against your opponent, if your superior wrestling forces your opponent to strike with you and he is a lovely boxer, switch to more traditional boxing and gently caress him up.

Watch the recent Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez fight. Then watch the even more recent Diaz vs Condit fight. You can get your hands on those quite easily I'm sure. Then you'll go like "I see what Ligur means."

A bit wordy, you could probably say the same thing in fever words but I write (and read) really fast so deal with it!

Edit: There's plenty more strikers lurking here even though it sometimes feels this is the BJJ/Judo thread so looking forward to even more input! I'm certain there's people who disagree with my opinions and can spot important stuff I left out.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 9, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'll point out that MMA doesn't reward long punch combinations. You're saying that your attack is limited to a narrow (for MMA) zone. If you keep trying to pressure with punches, your opponent is going to slip and clinch up, take you down, or set a different distance and kick. In this way, there's less technical infighting in MMA, as it's better to clinch and grapple for better position, especially with the additional threat of knees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
I think I've seen punch combos work in MMA when guys get a half thai clinch as soon as they get in range.

• Locked thread