Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Basically real men out-man men using terms like "real men" without using terms like "real men".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Ola posted:

Basically real men out-man men using terms like "real men" without using terms like "real men".
Hrmph.
Only a real man would say something like that.

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

A Real Man's middle name is danger, which is why they wear salad bowls or colanders in the facist nazi helmet law states. Real Men dont need to protect their brain from the road, the road needs to protect itself from their brain.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Coworker asked me the other day "So you ride the ferry, right?"
"Yeah."
"And motorcycles go in the front of the boat?"
"If they get there before loading."
"Do you have to tie it down? Doesn't the wind blow it over?"
:what:

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter

Pope Mobile posted:

Coworker asked me the other day "So you ride the ferry, right?"
"Yeah."
"And motorcycles go in the front of the boat?"
"If they get there before loading."
"Do you have to tie it down? Doesn't the wind blow it over?"
:what:

As someone who has never taken a ferry in an automobile, how does this work? Would the pitch of the water disturb the bike? Do you sit on it while the ferry is moving? Someone can quote me if they want to add to the thread.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The ferries here in Puget Sound (WA) are very calm water ferries. On a really rough day, you don't really have to do anything special for the bike. I rode the ferry daily for almost 2 years and never had an issue. Guys with center stands would have their bike fall over with the rocking on a rough day once in a blue moon (So I've heard, never seen it), but aside form having a good kick stand, no additional prep required.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Only time I've had to worry about my bike tipping over was on the ferry to Victoria, B.C. That much open water gets a little choppy sometimes, but you just tie a rope around a handlebar.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I catch the ferry back and forth across the Mississippi river during the summer, there's some nice roads going into Guttenberg Iowa before it turns crappy and flat, so you catch the ferry if it's running into Cassville Wisconsin.

Things only get interesting if we're passed by someone going by at speed making a large wake. Even then it's not been enough to tip the bike.

http://www.cassville.org/ferry.html

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Skreemer posted:

I catch the ferry back and forth across the Mississippi river during the summer, there's some nice roads going into Guttenberg Iowa before it turns crappy and flat, so you catch the ferry if it's running into Cassville Wisconsin.

Things only get interesting if we're passed by someone going by at speed making a large wake. Even then it's not been enough to tip the bike.

http://www.cassville.org/ferry.html

"The Pride Of Cassville, AKA, Getting The gently caress Out"

"See thauh ferry oeryunder? Yeeeeeh bwoah. Dat sumbitch ri therr gone be my tikit to sum MUNNN-EEEEEEEE...whewman. Tell ew whu."

invision fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 8, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Iowa/Wisconsin are not the south, thank you very much.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I left my bike outside on its kickstand during Hurricane Irene and it was completely fine. A rocking surface might be a little different but the bike tripod (front tire, rear tire, kickstand) is surprisingly stable.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I've always wondered what would happen if you put a really long kickstand on the normal side and a short one on the opposite side, that way it has 4 points of contact?

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

invision posted:

I've always wondered what would happen if you put a really long kickstand on the normal side and a short one on the opposite side, that way it has 4 points of contact?

Why not two equal length stands that jack the bike up like a digger? You put both down and pull the bike back like a center stand.

Or better yet, how about a center stand with arms that extend outward to make it wide as hell?

I can picture the infomercial now, throwing hands up in the air "there's gotta be a better way!" as you once again see your bike has fallen over inexplicably. Then you get the Tip-no-mortm and a random ever-smiling 30-something chick deploys it right before she installs your Milwaukee golf caddy and it never happens again.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Inland ferries don't have tiedowns since the water can't get choppy enough to require them. You might need to sit on your bike, but that's it. Sea ferries however...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

re: Ferries

When I took my bike to France, we loaded before the cars, deck crew pointed us to the bike parking area, the bikes were driven into parking blocks then strapped down by the crew.

On the way off the boat you unload after the car.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
My ninja 250 fell over on a Washington ferry, but it does feel like a rare occurrence. As I was inspecting the bent clipon a Harley guy said "Now you can CUSTOMIZE it!".

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
If you're actually headed out into open water you'd definitely need to strap a bike down properly. Traveling between newfoundland & nova scotia (eastern canada) you have to strap down your bikes, they give you the gear but won't do it themselves in case they tweak something.

This was a rougher crossing, I spent the whole night dreaming of finding the bike on its side in the morning.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/2779374490.html

60 miles? Time to upgrade!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Isn't that MSRP?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It's actually still at the dealership. He just rode it from the back lot out into the front and decided it was time to upgrade.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

slidebite posted:

Isn't that MSRP?

That's the other great thing about Ninja 250's, people love to ask MSRP++, usually because they are upside down on some terrible Kawasaki credit card or something. Before the redesign in...09 was it? People were trying to get $3200-$3500 on the ones that has a MSRP of $2999 brand new.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I understand the idea of listing something for more than you're intending to make off the sale, but over MSRP is just silly. poo poo, I was happy to get $2,000 for my '09 V-Star 250 as a trade in. And that was with a hole in the crank case.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts
Yea, I saw a local ad for a '10 Ninja 250 and he had it listed up for 5k. That along with old HDs with 40k miles and they still want 18k for it make my day when I'm looking at Craigslist.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I really wish there was a follow up on those. Like we could see the reaction of the owner when they figure out no one is ever going to pay more then MSRP for no reason ever.

The best was the ad linked somewhere on here with the owner saying a kind soul will get points for the afterlife if they drop 12K on his three year old R6.

Edit: Here it is.

Gnaghi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 8, 2012

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I really liked the one being sold by some dude's girlfriend, with no title, because she needs the cash to get him out of jail.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I like how it saves "SAVE"

Save what exactly? New sales tax?

I would like to live in a lala land where depreciation doesn't happen on something new.
\/ Touche \/

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 9, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

slidebite posted:

I would like to live in a lala land where depreciation doesn't happen on something new.

I wouldn't, I'd never be able to afford bikes :saddowns:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

New CX650T engine

Twelve. Thousand. Dollars.

A new 650T found in a crate might be worth that for the right buyer. Maybe. An engine alone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Honda-...=item416253b850

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I can add something to this thread - me. When I rented a Harley I was asking the guy some questions about it (like the indicators, those are weird), and I don't know why (im seriously not this retarded) pointed at the oil filler cap on the transmission oil tank (?) and asked "is this where the gas goes".

As soon as I opened my mouth I knew it was stupid but it seemed less stupid to finish it than to stop mid sentence. Im surprised dude still let me ride the bike outta there.

On the other hand some guy was telling me how he doesn't take his literbike to the track because novice is too slow and boring and intermediate is too dangerous.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Less overheard and more saw. Notice how many miles he's put on it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

slidebite posted:

New CX650T engine

Twelve. Thousand. Dollars.

A new 650T found in a crate might be worth that for the right buyer. Maybe. An engine alone?

Quoting my own. He didn't get 12K for it... so let's try $16k!!

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift
A guy I used to work with had a busa. I struck up conversation with him about riding and learned that he used to have an sv650, but he decided he didn't like twisties because they're too dangerous and he had a friend that hurt himself pretty bad on them. So, he bought a busa because he just likes going fast in a straight line, a busa he rides to work in shorts, a tshirt, and occasionally a helmet.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Turns are dangerous

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

AncientTV posted:

Why do people do whatever it is they've done to the back of that bike?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Same reason people put on 4-foot passenger backrests or rake the poo poo out of the forks. 'Cause it looks sick. Long swing arm makes it look (and act a little) like a drag bike.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

nsaP posted:

Turns are dangerous

So are straights, remember.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

nsaP posted:

Turns are dangerous

If that Gif said DAYTONA on the side I would have to say that throttle is dangerous, even in miniscule quantities...

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Angrymog posted:

Why do people do whatever it is they've done to the back of that bike?

For looks, and so they can hamfist the throttle everywhere without having to worry about wheelies. It turns the bike into a straight-line speed queen for bros to show off to each other.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Ola posted:

This is a fantastic specimen of the English language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

AncientTV posted:

I can almost read his numberplate off the reflection of that shined up rear tyre
picard-face-palm.jpg

• Locked thread