Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent 99
Oct 25, 2005
What should I do with 150g frozen spinach that's thawed? (I'm aware this isn't the most appealing ingredient.) I used half the pack to prepare stuffing for chicken breasts, and I'm too cheap to throw the rest away. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Schmeichy posted:

Does anyone know if brining a whole chicken overnight to 24 hours will end in disaster? I want to roast it tomorrow and try brining for the first time, but I don't think I'll be able to brine for less than 9 hours due to working times. Does a long brining time negatively affect taste/texture?

I brined my turkey for about 24 hours this holiday season and it turned out more than okay. As long as you keep it in the fridge a 24 hour brine should be no problem

Camembert
Feb 9, 2007
I like cheese.

Agent 99 posted:

What should I do with 150g frozen spinach that's thawed? (I'm aware this isn't the most appealing ingredient.) I used half the pack to prepare stuffing for chicken breasts, and I'm too cheap to throw the rest away. Any ideas?

Use it in a quiche/frittata/omelette.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Agent 99 posted:

It could be added to a stirfry or a soup. It is also good in meatballs, Alton Brown's meatball recipe calls for frozen spinach.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I was at a Thai place for lunch today and was served a little bowl of soup as a complimentary appetizer. I think it might have had a chicken broth- either chicken or a really good veggie- and had tofu, cilantro, and bean sprouts in it. Quite spicy, though not a lingering burn.

Any idea what it's called? I'm sorry I don't know much other detail, but it was delicious and didn't last long.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Agent 99 posted:

Creamed spinach!

Saag paneer!

Unusual taco filling!

Spanakopita!

Now I'm hungry!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I brined my turkey for about 24 hours this holiday season and it turned out more than okay. As long as you keep it in the fridge a 24 hour brine should be no problem
Turkey's a a sturdier meat than chicken, and the carcasses tend to be bigger. Both of these will influence the effect of brining.

In answer to the original question, it really depends on the brine, the bird, and what you're doing with it. I pretty much never brine a chicken if I'm planning on roasting it, particularly if I want to make gravy from the drippings---the flavour of the brine will end up in the gravy, which is generally not what you want. I will brine bigger birds that will be in the oven longer (e.g. turkeys that I'm doing in the oven) or if I'm cooking the bird in a smoker.

That all being said, the failure mode for overbrining poultry is usually just a bird that tastes a little too salty. I routinely brine birds for smoking overnight, and while I haven't done any a-b experimentation to verify it, I'd be surprised if you could actually detect much in the way of difference in texture unless your mouth is doing some serious Princess and the Pea poo poo.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

bringmyfishback posted:

I was at a Thai place for lunch today and was served a little bowl of soup as a complimentary appetizer. I think it might have had a chicken broth- either chicken or a really good veggie- and had tofu, cilantro, and bean sprouts in it. Quite spicy, though not a lingering burn.

Any idea what it's called? I'm sorry I don't know much other detail, but it was delicious and didn't last long.

What colour was it? Most often they serve (redish or whitish or er chickensoupish) Tom Yum at Thai places, although that one doesn't usualy have bean sprouts

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Cowcatcher posted:

What colour was it? Most often they serve (redish or whitish or er chickensoupish) Tom Yum at Thai places, although that one doesn't usualy have bean sprouts

Definitely wasn't Tom Yum- totally different flavor. Unless it was "their version" of Tom Yum...

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
I'm a spice whore and I have bags of spices that I buy on a whim from Penzey's or at markets but I don't always know what to do with them. Please tell me what awesome things I can make with:

achiote seeds
tien tsin peppers
juniper berries
szechuan peppercorns (besides ridiculous amounts of mapo tofu... already do that)

that hopefully aren't too terribly complicated because I am insane amounts of busy right now.

Also, looking for something awesome to do with celery root/celeriac that's not a mash, soup, or remoulade.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 8, 2012

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

kiteless posted:

Please tell me what awesome things I can make with:

achiote seeds
tien tsin peppers
juniper berries
szechuan peppercorns (besides ridiculous amounts of mapo tofu... already do that)

Fancy gin?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

kiteless posted:

achiote seeds
That's annato. You steep it in hot fat to get a brilliant red colour to any sort of mole sauce you're making. It's lovely stuff, and ever so fragrant. It can also be used to colour a tandoori chickan marinade.

RE: Celeriac. Have you done the bajji thing yet? Essentially, dip it in batter made of chickpeas, water, red chile powder, and ajowain seeds (optional), then deep fry it? It'll be ever so tasty. Barring that, tempura that summbitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I've got a hankering for a flavorful, light vegetarian soup. Not spicy. The last three soups I've made have been quite rich, thick, and in two cases spicy. I would like a brief change.

What's a good recipe for something along these lines? Anything will do; I've got access to lots of ingredients.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gaspacho

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Matcha, online, where?
Want to make matcha bubbletea, cookies and other such delights, but David's tea is far, far to expensive.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

That's annato. You steep it in hot fat to get a brilliant red colour to any sort of mole sauce you're making. It's lovely stuff, and ever so fragrant. It can also be used to colour a tandoori chickan marinade.

I bought a bag of annato from an indian grocery a couple months ago that was labelled as "paprika seeds". WTF.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Toriori posted:

Matcha, online, where?
Want to make matcha bubbletea, cookies and other such delights, but David's tea is far, far to expensive.

To the tea thread!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437984

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Casu Marzu posted:

Gaspacho
Well, that'll work, and I loving love gazpacho, and I'll probably make some ASAP, but it is still cold as gently caress out. Any warm soup ideas?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Not really soup, but make ratatouille and serve with a big hunk of fresh bread and some good olive oil drizzled over it all.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I feel like the depths of winter is not the ideal time to be making gazpacho.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

What cut of beef?

Also: Can you explain your butter + steak + cast iron method in more detail?

I turn the gas up to full, I put in about half a stick of butter, when it's quite hot I put the steak in. I let it fry/whatever for about a minute, three times for each side (turn it over about six times total) until blood mostly stops coming out, then I serve. It's good enough (tm) but I'm not any kind of pro :)

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
There was a bread thread here, but it disappeared. I still haven't gotten the hang of making bread and did another attempt yesterday.

It looks nice, smelled nice, and the crust was ok, however it was abit soggy and tasted slightly yeasty. I cooked it for almost an hour in a le creuset pan, lid on for 45 mins. Should I have cooked it even longer? Or does the taste come from too little/too much rising? It didn't really rise for a very long time - maybe 45 mins.

Recipe I used is pretty basic:

500g flour
300ml water
50g yeast
50g olive oil

some salt (abit too much), sugar and sundried tomatos

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

redreader posted:

I turn the gas up to full, I put in about half a stick of butter, when it's quite hot I put the steak in. I let it fry/whatever for about a minute, three times for each side (turn it over about six times total) until blood mostly stops coming out, then I serve. It's good enough (tm) but I'm not any kind of pro :)
you're overcooking your steak.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

redreader posted:

You can't sear a steak in butter. Butter has a substantial amount of water in it. Searing something in water is poaching. This makes terrible steakbeefs.

Take your pan, heat up a neutral oil until it's ripping hot, sear your beefs in it, and then 30 seconds before it's done add a slab of butter.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for your steak advice and I'm sure it'll improve my steaks a lot, but I've made steak my way and had it turn out really awesome. This steak I am telling you about is amazingly stringy, done the same way as steak that turned out (to my peasant tastes) fairly great. My point is that my method is not the problem, the steak here is. I will go with the slow cooker method listed above for the stringy-as-hell steak, and try the methods listed above in the future for normal steak. Thanks!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
What are some good things to eat with fresh oysters? I'm going to the oyster farms soon to have a picnic and was wondering what else to bring along.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

redreader posted:

Thanks for your steak advice and I'm sure it'll improve my steaks a lot, but I've made steak my way and had it turn out really awesome. This steak I am telling you about is amazingly stringy, done the same way as steak that turned out (to my peasant tastes) fairly great. My point is that my method is not the problem, the steak here is. I will go with the slow cooker method listed above for the stringy-as-hell steak, and try the methods listed above in the future for normal steak. Thanks!

No, your method is the problem.

You can either:

1) not loving poach your steak; or

2) braise it if you're using a cut with more collagen.

What is the exact cut you are using?

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

bringmyfishback posted:

Saag paneer!

Saag dal :colbert:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

merci beaucoup

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Well, that'll work, and I loving love gazpacho, and I'll probably make some ASAP, but it is still cold as gently caress out. Any warm soup ideas?
There is the option of that one Provençal pesto soup:

http://www.atfirstglass.com/2010/07/soupe-au-pistou-au-midwest-la-mesdames.html

It's quite easy to adapt for winter veg, as you can switch out the courgette for pumpkin (I used kabocha). Instead of the green beans, I used frozen peas, with no problems at all. Leave out the Parmesan cheese, and ease back on the olive oil to about 1 TB, if you're looking for something lighter. I subbed out a bit of water for the olive oil. It really doesn't need all of it.

It ends up being very comforting on a cold winter night.

Bellabel
Jan 5, 2010

Dead finks don't talk too well; they've got a shaky sense of diction

kiteless posted:

juniper berries

Sauerkraut! Venison!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

kiteless posted:

juniper berries

Funny, someone just posted this on my facebook feed: http://www.eatlivetravelwrite.com/2...nd-potato-mash/

Looks delicious, if a bit of work for the whole meal. The juniper beef by itself isn't that hard to make.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made this soup a while back and it's fantastic. I used a stick blender to blend about half of the potatoes to make it thicker, but if I did it again I'd blend it all to make a smooth bisque-like soup. It's a vegan recipe, so it's not too rich or heavy, but the way the flavors work together is dynamite.

Grushenka
Jan 4, 2009

kiteless posted:

achiote seeds

A bit late but you should totally make Guam-style red rice with finadene sauce. My mum and dad lived in Guam once and this is how they do it:

Basically you need to soak the achiote seeds in warm water for a bit with some salt, and then you press and strain out the seeds. You'll use that water to boil your rice so measure the water accordingly. Chop up an onion and sauté it, add your rice and onion to the boiling water, cook until rice is done.

For finadine sauce, you need soy sauce, lemon juice, chopped up hot chilli peppers, and chopped up onion. Mix it all and let it sit. My parents never measure, it's all to taste, sorry :shobon:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bringmyfishback posted:

If I may be so bold, Call the restaurant.

I'm fairly certain that, while the blind internet guessing game is fun, the restaurant can give you a definitive answer in under 5 minutes. Call before the lunch rush/shortly after opening depending on when that is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd like to make some doner kebabs. I've made Alton Brown's gyro recipe in the past and it was pretty good, but I thought I could try something else this time. Does anyone have a recipe they like?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

canoshiz posted:

What are some good things to eat with fresh oysters? I'm going to the oyster farms soon to have a picnic and was wondering what else to bring along.

Mignonette, some lemon, horseradish, some hot sauce for the heathens, a few oyster knives, a towel, and a slip resistant glove. Bring a nice dry champagne or a nice minerally sauvignon blanc and a few glasses. Perhaps a crusty loaf of bread and a really nice cultured butter. A gazpacho could be nice as an accompaniment.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

zapateria posted:

tasted slightly yeasty.

500g flour
300ml water
50g yeast
50g olive oil
There's your trouble. If I'm baking a loaf with 500g flour, I'll generally use about 7-8g of yeast.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Mignonette, some lemon, horseradish, some hot sauce for the heathens, a few oyster knives, a towel, and a slip resistant glove. Bring a nice dry champagne or a nice minerally sauvignon blanc and a few glasses. Perhaps a crusty loaf of bread and a really nice cultured butter. A gazpacho could be nice as an accompaniment.

Bone Marrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_stopdancing
Feb 20, 2004

I would roast them. I usually put my oven at about 350 and check them every 20 minutes or so. As for cheese, you can throw cheese in the batter or on top, whichever you're going for. Throwing cheese in the batter will make every bite cheesy, but if you throw cheese on top you can then throw them under the broiler briefly and get some delicious brown cheese. I'm not sure if topping them with cheese and throwing cheese in the batter will be too much cheese, but that's always an option. Good luck!

Thanks! I think I'm going to go with the broiler, because brown cheese is amazing.