Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
With how angry Dirk has been getting towards the AR, I think he ends up giving his "plan" on how to woo Jake to AR as a way of just getting him to stop being such a pest, and in reality he has no plan (judging by "If the right opportunity presents itself, yes, I could envision myself taking action").

Also I love the how arrogant the AR is, and how he thinks he needs to help/interfere in everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library
Wait, why is Jane trying to get into the study again?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pessimism posted:

Wait, why is Jane trying to get into the study again?

That's where Dad's computer is that's currently running Sburb.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah. Genericon has pretty much gone to poo poo since the days I was helping to run it. I had a good laugh at their website when it was brought to my attention recently.

Please do this. I may be able to get you some confederates in the audience. (EDIT: As long as your idea is an actually good one.)

When were you active? I was class of '10, so I knew the lineage of con chairs from Jen/Tom/Justin/Marco/this year is Emily.

Pessimism
Aug 2, 2005

You can find this and other great titles at your local library

Regy Rusty posted:

That's where Dad's computer is that's currently running Sburb.

Oh yeah :downs:. This comic was a lot easier to follow before I caught up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dirk is a control freak, as I had surmised.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I still don't think AR will 'go evil', but if he did, being able to hijack Dirk's computer, which, if everything goes to plan, is going to be playing server for the three other players, is some serious bad news.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

loquacius posted:

Fangirls HATE Lord English :argh:

Seriously though just be Bro and do this all day.

Is that Hunter S. Thompson in the background at 51 seconds?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
They should have warned her.

They should have told her about Astaires.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Captain Greed posted:

When were you active? I was class of '10, so I knew the lineage of con chairs from Jen/Tom/Justin/Marco/this year is Emily.

I was Con Ops from 2006 through 2008 and did some assorted lesser back-end tasks in 2009 after I graduated. Fun fact: I actually was introduced to MS Paint Adventures at the 2008 con (I think it was. Homestuck hadn't started yet.)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 8, 2012

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bobulus posted:

I still don't think AR will 'go evil', but if he did, being able to hijack Dirk's computer, which, if everything goes to plan, is going to be playing server for the three other players, is some serious bad news.

AR's perspective that Dirk can't multitask that much probably means he'll gently caress him over so Dirk cant' do that, since he'd gently caress poo poo up if he did. Plus you need the sequential portals for the game to work, so AR is going to be just maintaining the necessary state of the game through it. Probably was prompted to do so by UU.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
So, despite the fact that I haven't written any music since Intro Music Theory in undergrad, I came up with an entry to the soundtrack project. Please tell me how I can make it better, or if it's good enough to submit as-is.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Pinechild posted:

So, despite the fact that I haven't written any music since Intro Music Theory in undergrad, I came up with an entry to the soundtrack project. Please tell me how I can make it better, or if it's good enough to submit as-is.

I really like how it runs with the theme of morse code through the whole song. Don't know much about music to offer anything beyond that.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Pinechild posted:

Maybe experiment with some reverb effects? Your song sounds kind of dry right now. Even a little bit would probably make a huge difference.

Near the middle, it sounds a little repetitive. Maybe add some some variation to your countermelodies (and maybe put in some counterpoint?). Also maybe it would be cool if you used the morse code as basis for a bassline and/or your percussion grooves instead of just having it in the beginning and end (if you did, I couldn't pick it out, sorry).

edit: on and on a slightly related note this is a teaser for a new piece I'm working on. Still debating whether or not to keep the sample near the end in the final song...

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 8, 2012

TOAST7312
Oct 18, 2010

AT: uHHH, nO DAD NO!

quote:

TT: Hell.
AR: loving.
TT: Yes.

My sentiments exactly.

e: Also, update.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TOAST7312 posted:

My sentiments exactly.

e: Also, update.

This was the best bit:

quote:

GG: Are you typing your most important instructions in red now?
TT(ARYes.
TT(DS): No.
GG: ...

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Pinechild posted:

I really like the instruments used and the melody. It seems pretty fitting. Can't offer more than that, though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wonder if Jane's ever going to carry the mantle of 'friendleader' to these four? John spent most of his time taking directions, but there was a certain protagonist-y-ness to him nevertheless (being the actual comic protagonist didn't hurt, nor did stumbling on to an endless series of plot breadcrumbs so that he was always at the center of events without knowing how or why or even displaying much personal agency). These four just don't seem to share the sort of natural cohesiveness of the first group of kids.

I guess being the leader is more of a nominal game mechanics thing than an actual destined role (or is it?!), but still.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

quote:

TT: Hell.
AR: loving.
TT: Yes.
this was so cute, I hope Dirk and AR pull off some awesome unexpected teamwork moves later on :3

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
The old man really came through this time.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

snucks posted:

this was so cute, I hope Dirk and AR pull off some awesome unexpected teamwork moves later on :3

Double Ironic Truffle Shuffle

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dolash posted:

I wonder if Jane's ever going to carry the mantle of 'friendleader' to these four? John spent most of his time taking directions, but there was a certain protagonist-y-ness to him nevertheless (being the actual comic protagonist didn't hurt, nor did stumbling on to an endless series of plot breadcrumbs so that he was always at the center of events without knowing how or why or even displaying much personal agency). These four just don't seem to share the sort of natural cohesiveness of the first group of kids.

I guess being the leader is more of a nominal game mechanics thing than an actual destined role (or is it?!), but still.

Obviously John is gonna friendleader the gently caress out of this new group of kids as well.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dolash posted:

I think Jane's going to be the friendleader simply because she's the most friendly and has the least amount of baggage among them, except for maybe Jake. It's a lot easier being a leader when you're aren't moping about things like "how can i propose to Jake :(" or "my mom (or bro) is dead and i'm so lonely :(". Jane has her own problems, but she tries to look at things in a positive light (like how she tried to spin Jack shanking her into a being a mystery just like her detective novels instead of being "oh god oh god i can't continue this is so scary.", even though it was obvious it shook her up) and her fuse isn't as short as Dirk's.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 8, 2012

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm glad the horse book is ok. Looks like the life of moral compromise pays off in the end.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

closeted republican posted:

I think Jane's going to be the friendleader simply because she's the most friendly and has the least amount of baggage among them, except for maybe Jake. It's a lot easier being a leader when you're aren't moping about things like "how can i propose to Jake :(" or "my mom (or bro) is dead and i'm so lonely :(". Jane has her own problems, but she tries to look at things in a positive light (like how she tried to spin Jack shanking her into a being a mystery just like her detective novels instead of being "oh god oh god i can't continue this is so scary.", even though it was obvious it shook her up) and her fuse isn't as short as Dirk's.

That really applies to Prospit dreamers in general.

The secret is that nobody's in charge.

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

Maybe experiment with some reverb effects? Your song sounds kind of dry right now. Even a little bit would probably make a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice, on reflection that's exactly what was bugging me. I'll get to fixing it ASAP.

Also, re: the update: while I don't have a lot of patience for Dirk's relationship bullshit right now, him and the auto-responder are pretty much the best thing, I hope it keeps up after they get in the Medium.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
Shouldn't the spirograph symbol be red? The icon on Dirk's computer was.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

That really applies to Prospit dreamers in general.

The secret is that nobody's in charge.

:aaa: I never noticed that. In the B1 session, John is some happy dork that loves low quality Hollywood movies and his dad and Jade is your average "yippy skippy yay ^_____^" 13 year old girl, while Rose angsts about her relationship with her mom and has a chip on her shoulder about it and Dave always feels second-best compared to Bro and can't accept he could die.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This analogy breaks down when you look at the trolls, though. Karkat, Vriska, Tavros, and Sollux all had quite the issues (at least Terezi's too crazy and Kanaya did get her poo poo together).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I was just thinking about Prospit and Derse dreamers and how an eight-player session still probably wouldn't accomodate the 'new' players on Prospit and Derse... when it occured to me that when Jade took the Incipisphere with them to the new universe, she left Derse behind. I guess it got wiped in the rest, and Prospit was already destroyed, but still - maybe it could've come in handy? Never know when you might need a tiny purple planet.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God-tiers no longer have dreamselves anyway, so Prospit and Derse are kind of unimportant to them except in the broad sense.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

This analogy breaks down when you look at the trolls, though. Karkat, Vriska, Tavros, and Sollux all had quite the issues (at least Terezi's too crazy and Kanaya did get her poo poo together).

Trolls are a disagreeable lot in general. Relatively speaking, though....

The Prospit trolls were Karkat, Terezi, Gamzee, Tavros, Vriska, and Kanaya. Compared to the others, all of them were emotionally open, compared to the Derse trolls, who played their cards pretty close to their chest. (Sollux was like that half the time, predictably.) That's the distinction I see, and it holds even more strongly among the humans we've seen.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I don't know why but animations like Jane's running in place jitter are some of my favorite parts of this comic.

Captain Greed
Mar 12, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I was Con Ops from 2006 through 2008 and did some assorted lesser back-end tasks in 2009 after I graduated. Fun fact: I actually was introduced to MS Paint Adventures at the 2008 con (I think it was. Homestuck hadn't started yet.)

We ALMOST certainly know each other. I'm Colin, Paul's friend. (RPI reunions ITT?). There's at least two other RPI students of that era and social group that I know of on SA.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

Trolls are a disagreeable lot in general. Relatively speaking, though....

The Prospit trolls were Karkat, Terezi, Gamzee, Tavros, Vriska, and Kanaya. Compared to the others, all of them were emotionally open, compared to the Derse trolls, who played their cards pretty close to their chest. (Sollux was like that half the time, predictably.) That's the distinction I see, and it holds even more strongly among the humans we've seen.

I'm not sure about that, since one of Vriska's things was that she couldn't open up emotionally to the other Trolls for fear of being seen as weak. It was only John who she opened up to, which I think says more about him than it does her. And on the Derse side, most of them seemed pretty open emotionally. Eridan and Feferi were pretty transparent, Nepeta might not have admitted she liked Karkat but other than that she'd always say how she felt, Equius even had a feelings chat with Gamzee... The only one who was more closed off was Aradia, but she didn't even have feelings for a long time, and now that she does she seems pretty open.

Personally the only distinction between the Troll Prospit and Derse dreamers is a main/secondary character distinction, but even that's sort of iffy. Like Karkat, Vriska, Terezi and Kanaya are/were undoubtedly 'main' trolls, and Gamzee was one of the bigger threats to them. Although Tavros looked important, he fell to the wayside, although it makes sense he'd be on the Prospit team in order to function as an accessory to Vriska.

The Derse dreamers are all secondary characters, except for Sollux, who flips between the two, and Aradia, who's sort of an exception? I'm not really sure.

Note that this is ONLY for the Trolls- the human kids have a much better system of optimist-pessimist, open-closed, etc.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
The schizophrenic server is the best thing. These last few updates have been amazing.

AR is gonna steal control from Dirk just in time to throw something stupid into the kernelsprite. Perhaps the Astaire.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Wait, wait, wait, wait. Self indulgent theory here. What if dad is going to be the player this time, not Jane? The client was installed on dad's computer, not Jane's. He's noticed all the sburb equipment and might fiddle with it and create the prepunched card. It would be a great way for Hussie to pull one of his surprise moments too, if Jane straight-up died in an explosion one of these times. We only think that maid of life powers involve self-resurrection, but maybe as a passive class, she resurrects someone else in her place on prospit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Starmaker posted:

The schizophrenic server is the best thing. These last few updates have been amazing.

AR is gonna steal control from Dirk just in time to throw something stupid into the kernelsprite. Perhaps the Astaire.

It's gotta be Poppopsprite. John had Nannasprite, so Jane needs a Poppopsprite.

Roxy will have a GCatsprite and for Jake, a mystery woofbeast Lusus that looks suspiciously like Halley will come out of nowhere and be prototyped. Both in parallel to Jaspersprite and Becsprite.

And since Dave's sprite is an alternate version of himself, the same will happen for Dirk, so obviously it's be Autorespondersprite.

edit: it's like poetry, it rhymes.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
If AR gets prototyped, Dirk is gonna need new glasses.

Or he could just wear ARsprite on his face :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Captain Greed posted:

We ALMOST certainly know each other. I'm Colin, Paul's friend. (RPI reunions ITT?). There's at least two other RPI students of that era and social group that I know of on SA.

Well then it makes sense why you would complain about the whole Sci-Fi thing.

Anyway, I was going to say that, by being Karkat, you get the best of both worlds: You get the chance to ruin Homestuck through cosplay and be angry at everyone.

In practice though, people would actually not give a poo poo because of how many lovely cosplayers there are of the trolls, so it would be like Canute ordering back the waves.