Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my oh my. I just read through this entire thing in the last couple of days. I've been hearing about it for a while, and kept getting intrigued by Coyote in particular, but for some reason it took me forever to finally sit down and power through it. And now that I have I love it. Coyote was as amazing as I thought he'd be (and is probably my favorite character) but I love everything else about it too. Strangely, one of my very favorite things is the running joke of identifying Mr. Eglamore every time he shows up.

It's been quite a while since I've experienced the sadness that comes to feverishly racing through a long archive only to suddenly reach the point where there's no more arrow to click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

Madrox posted:

Tom, just curious, how time consuming would you say completing the art for an average page in the ether is vs. a page taking place in the "normal" world? I would think the ether pages would take a good bit more time, but boy are they gorgeous.

Ether pages do take longer than normal, yeah, but the trade of is that I'm able to totally cop out on the backgrounds! I coloured these slightly different to other pages set in the ether too, so they didn;t take much longer. Also, they are very fun to do.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

I started reading it to my mother on weekends

Man, that's great! I'm really happy to hear that she likes it. Thanks for letting me know!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nondevor posted:

The post's not exactly fully up to date though; just a heads up. There are some avatars that have been taken since the last edit so yeah. Wouldn't want people running around with the same avatar when there are a lot of good ones.

Yeah, I was away from SA for a few days. Should be all up to date now, so let me know if I missed anything. (I'm not posting every time I update it because the thread doesn't need that much noise from me.)

Tea-san posted:

Ether pages do take longer than normal, yeah, but the trade of is that I'm able to totally cop out on the backgrounds! I coloured these slightly different to other pages set in the ether too, so they didn;t take much longer. Also, they are very fun to do.

Like everyone else, I absolutely love the ether pages. I'm glad you do them about the amount you're doing, though; I think if they were too high a percentage of the pages they'd be less special.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yeah, I was away from SA for a few days. Should be all up to date now, so let me know if I missed anything. (I'm not posting every time I update it because the thread doesn't need that much noise from me.)

Understandable. One thing I caught is that karmicknight has this avatar of Blue (), so it should probably be moved to the taken section?

Moving on from that, I have a question for Tom. Will there ever be a Coyote plush for sale in the topatoco store? I'd buy one in an instant.

cranky pomme
Dec 30, 2008

Ahh! Here he comes!
Hey, just chiming in to say that I took an avatar out of the repository! I know someone else has an avatar of The Saddest Face, but mine moves and has different text.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Annie has unleashed Red upon the world.

Also that last panel. '3'

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I really love how Red and Blue are such assholes to each other at every turn.

I can never get the images to look as nice as I want them to when I resize them. Even more so with the text but I'm not sure how to retain the quality.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Spaseman posted:

I can never get the images to look as nice as I want them to when I resize them. Even more so with the text but I'm not sure how to retain the quality.
What I did for this one was just cut out the full-size text and cram it into the shrunken word balloon. And yeah, they are perfect for each other.

Seriously though, that's enough avatars. You can stop now, Tom.

qa6
Jul 26, 2006

I'll tell ya how I been!
I BIN JUNK!

Zenzirouj posted:

What I did for this one was just cut out the full-size text and cram it into the shrunken word balloon. And yeah, they are perfect for each other.

Seriously though, that's enough avatars. You can stop now, Tom.

That one has to go with the text "level 2 super schmendrick".

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So the incentive for them to go to school is to earn a name. Awesome.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
That last panel proves that before she was a fairy, Red was :smugdog:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
This entire chapter has made me deeply, deeply happy.

Edit: I have an avatar! Whoever did this is a beautiful person.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 6, 2012

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

T-man posted:

I hold that this page was made when the avatarpalooza was started and Tom decided to put the maximum amount of avatars on one page.

Hey, to everyone who DIDN'T think this chapter was Tom's secret plan to get as many avatars made as possible: ppppbbbbbttttthhhhhhhhhhhhpppppppptsss.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

qa6 posted:

That one has to go with the text "level 2 super schmendrick".
Looks like old red is pretty angry about the art direction the comic took.

edit:
And she gets to chill with the teacher and get some bitchin' ether clothes
VVVVVVVV

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 7, 2012

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Who needs to learn orbital mechanics when you've got a name?! No need to hang around these schmucks anymore.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Nondevor posted:

Who needs to learn orbital mechanics when you've got a name?! No need to hang around these schmucks anymore.

This is precisely why the fairies are amazing. I find them baffling, and love them dearly for it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Nondevor posted:

No one needs to learn orbital mechanics. But perhaps some people want to, or should. Cool people, like Kat over there <----

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Clearly Dr. Disaster is gearing up for his space program and he needs some "volunteers."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

Clearly Dr. Disaster is gearing up for his space program and he needs some "volunteers."

He asked for some nameless grunts and they look him literally.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Now I'm curious what the teacher's name is

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Teacher Lady! :v:

It's how she got the job. She fit the qualifications perfectly.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm considering one of these.

Leaning towards Boxbot. Any opinions / text suggestions? Also, they're still untaken, right?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Fecha posted:

Leaning towards Boxbot. Any opinions / text suggestions? Also, they're still untaken, right?

Someone has an animated version of the first one.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Fecha posted:

"Did I... Did i miss anything important?"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
"I was only trying to post..."

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
For some reason I stopped readin GKC for like years because apparently I am some sort of crazy person who hates good webcomics. All caught up now! I promise not to do it again :ohdear:

Tom I really respect the fact that you have created a fantasy world full of dark mysteries and tensions that is completely void of a Big Bad. It's nice to be able to have a mythology without some Dark Lord making GBS threads the place up with spiky black fortresses. Also speaking of mythology, your depiction of Coyote is the best I've ever seen and I love every frame he's in. Keep this poo poo up.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
You're not the only one. I once started reading it a few years back but stopped for reasons I can't remember after finishing the first chapter, and completely forgot about it. I liked it, so I really don't know why. :(

Luckily I spied this thread about a month and a half ago and finally devoured it all (how could I possibly have held off so long from meeting the fantastic duo that is Smitty and Parley I do not know), and now I'm checking the page near daily just because I need that dose of Gunnerkrigg, new comic or not. Also so that I never forget its existence again.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Oh gosh this is so overwhelming. I have an excuse for my terrible posting, but such a huge stigma to overcome...

Fecha fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 8, 2012

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Fecha posted:

Oh gosh this is so overwhelming. I have an excuse for my terrible posting, but such a huge stigma to overcome...

Welcome, Brotheeerrr...

Man, I hope blue doesn't get the complete snub. Red can be such a jerk sometimes.

zeekner fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 8, 2012

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Clearly someone needs to get a Robox avatar to counteract all this terribleness

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
So, like, what's stopping Annie from naming every single level 1 schmendrick and creating an influx of fairy types upon poor unwitting Gunerkrigg Court?

Have no Court Humans shown up? It feels like something that happens pretty organically.

I, for example, would have named at least one of them "buddy" or "kid" by now.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

M.c.P posted:

They can tell when you use capital letters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Thank God the fairies don't play videogames online, that's all I have to say.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

M.c.P posted:

So, like, what's stopping Annie from naming every single level 1 schmendrick and creating an influx of fairy types upon poor unwitting Gunerkrigg Court?

Have no Court Humans shown up? It feels like something that happens pretty organically.

Maybe it only happens if someone ends up referring to you by the name naturally? She said Red as if it was a name, so it was a name, but if she was trying to do it maybe it wouldn't actually be a real name because it didn't occur to her naturally like a name would?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

QueerPope posted:

Maybe it only happens if someone ends up referring to you by the name naturally? She said Red as if it was a name, so it was a name, but if she was trying to do it maybe it wouldn't actually be a real name because it didn't occur to her naturally like a name would?

That's cheating! They're not allowed to cheat!

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

That's cheating! They're not allowed to cheat!

Oh no no no, another thirty minutes gone! But on reading that, I wonder if Red noticed Annie's cut on her cheek. I kinda forgot that they were right there when it happened.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Oh my god.

The best page.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Well, I guess this is the high-water mark. Months from now, we will yearn to relive the Omega Raspberry.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sweet lord above.

Yes it is, Tom. Yes it is. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Whelp pack it in everyone. We aren't topping this.