Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

You Am I posted:

Try another fruit stand then. Apple have been replacing defective batteries with no charge

Nope. If it's expanding and is able to be removed without damaging the computer then Apple will not cover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

OWC just came out with a boot CD firmware updater for most recent Macs. A few months ago (before these updaters existed) when I attempted to update the firmware in mine I had to build a boot camp partition to do it. TRIM will be the same deal regardless.

I'd go with OWC again, though, because their SSD's are built in the USA, and their service is incredible.

I have Lion - so will I still need to turn TRIM on via Terminal or a utility if it's not an Apple installed SSD? Is there a chance system updates could turn it back off?

I have upgraded the HD in this Macbook a few times before using OWC and yeah I agree about their service.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
The trackpad on my 2011 MacBook Air doesn't click as ... clicky as it used to. It seems like the clicks are a bit more stiff. Is there any chance that this needs to get checked out by a Fruit Stand? It still registers every click just fine... Could this be Battery enlarging or maybe just a piece of sand is stuck in there?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

WarTribble posted:

I have Lion - so will I still need to turn TRIM on via Terminal or a utility if it's not an Apple installed SSD? Is there a chance system updates could turn it back off?

I have upgraded the HD in this Macbook a few times before using OWC and yeah I agree about their service.

Yes you will need to enable TRIM with that Perl script. Yes future updates that replace that kext will turn off TRIM again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FlashBangBob posted:

The trackpad on my 2011 MacBook Air doesn't click as ... clicky as it used to. It seems like the clicks are a bit more stiff. Is there any chance that this needs to get checked out by a Fruit Stand? It still registers every click just fine... Could this be Battery enlarging or maybe just a piece of sand is stuck in there?

I've noticed the Apple trackpads really do change in 'pressing feel' over time. I ended up replacing the one in my 2010 MBP.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

This is extremely ancedotal, but I've already replaced as many trackpads in MacBook Airs starting with the 2010 models as I've had to replace in all MacBook Pros starting with the 1st generation Core Duos.

IMHO, QC is either staying constant as sales go up, or those suppliers are going the extra mile to cheap out on components.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
Replacing the Trackpad on a MBA is pretty difficult to replace on your own.. no? You guys are like Authorized repair people, yeah? I mean walking into a Fruit Stand and saying "The trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be" may not warrant any service right?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

FlashBangBob posted:

Replacing the Trackpad on a MBA is pretty difficult to replace on your own.. no? You guys are like Authorized repair people, yeah? I mean walking into a Fruit Stand and saying "The trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be" may not warrant any service right?

Track pads aren't hard to replace at all. And yeah, saying that your trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be isn't going to guarantee that they're going to replace it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

bassguitarhero posted:

I had this GeForce in the computer along with a PC Radeon 4870 I flashed, wound up taking the geforce out when Binary Badger suggested a number of months ago because the computer wouldn't sleep properly. Didn't affect anything but I never used the card anyway so I just left it out, but it wasn't giving me any issues when it was in there.

The machine eventually started sleeping fine when I went to using just one monitor instead of the two that I was running side-by-side before.

Perhaps it's just the 5xxx series cards that causes this? From what I gathered when I couldn't get my 7300 to work the consensus was that you needed at least an ati x2600 to run two gpus on a mac pro when using a 5xxx series ati card.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

1997 posted:

Track pads aren't hard to replace at all. And yeah, saying that your trackpad isn't as clicky as it used to be isn't going to guarantee that they're going to replace it.

I have no doubt that if you walked in and said something like that they'd look at you like you're an idiot. :downs:

finnegan
Apr 1, 2005

FlashBangBob posted:

Learn to love tap to click (adjusted my muscle memory after the button stopped working on my macbook pro). I now much prefer it.

WarTribble
Sep 19, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Yes you will need to enable TRIM with that Perl script. Yes future updates that replace that kext will turn off TRIM again.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered an OWC SSD. After ordering I found an OWC blog entry that says enabling TRIM is bad for their SSD's. Confusing! But I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

WarTribble posted:

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered an OWC SSD. After ordering I found an OWC blog entry that says enabling TRIM is bad for their SSD's. Confusing! But I guess I'll find out soon enough.

They say TRIM isn't necessary for their particular drives, not all SSDs. Even that is a little suspect since people are going to turn on TRIM on any SSD that supports it on Windows 7 and I'm pretty sure all Sandforce based drives right now support TRIM.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 7, 2012

dr.dendrite
Nov 16, 2003
i wish i could think of something original to say

1997 posted:

Nope. If it's expanding and is able to be removed without damaging the computer then Apple will not cover it.

They replaced my bulging battery for free after I told them that it was making the trackpad not work.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

dr.dendrite posted:

They replaced my bulging battery for free after I told them that it was making the trackpad not work.

Was the computer still in warranty or was this before November?

dr.dendrite
Nov 16, 2003
i wish i could think of something original to say

1997 posted:

Was the computer still in warranty or was this before November?

Possibly before, it was right around that time. It was out of warranty.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Standard Operating Procedure;

Batteries expanding isn't defective in 90% of cases, it's generally a very good indicator the cell is way past its consumed stage, the internal chemistry changes, and instead of leaking/exploding, they swell.

If this swelling damages any internal components on the portable, then Fruit will replace those damaged components at no cost.

Having one straight out of the box swollen is abnormal, and would be covered by your standard warranty. (bring a receipt).

As usual, your milage may vary store to store, but the above is SOP. Also remember that a lot of the anecdotal evidence floating around is from when Mac Genius' could issue codes that would cover items out of warranty at no expense. This is no longer the case.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ That ought to go in the OP..

Apple isn't kidding around any more, they're aggressively tracking spare parts they send out, there are much fewer parts that they issue out of hand (that don't require a returned part,) and lots of parts are integrated into others. Their mission seems to be to make sure people can't make a living anymore out of grey marketing Apple parts from pulls.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I've searched a bit on this and can't really seem to find anything except IR software for remote controls. Since the Mini has an IR receiver, is there any way I could use the keyboard from my Logitech Revue (GTV) unit, as the keyboard is all IR?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I've searched a bit on this and can't really seem to find anything except IR software for remote controls. Since the Mini has an IR receiver, is there any way I could use the keyboard from my Logitech Revue (GTV) unit, as the keyboard is all IR?
Not that I know of, although you might be able to get some external USB IR receiver to work with it, which is what I had to do to use a MCE remote.

(and that thing used IR? :psyduck: Everything else they make is RF or BT!)

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
When I turn the brightness up on my iMac or there is any kind of significant processor activity (even scrolling), it has started making a buzzing noise. It gets increasingly loud as brightness is turned up or activity increases. It sounds like it's from the upper left corner but I can't be sure. Is that where the power supply is located?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

japtor posted:

(and that thing used IR? :psyduck: Everything else they make is RF or BT!)

The Revue is a unit that's supposed to work with most HDTVs. Not many TVs use RF or BT controllers (although this is changing, quite a few TV makers including Vizio and Sony are starting to use BT) but for the majority, infrared based controllers are the reigning control method in TVs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

When I turn the brightness up on my iMac or there is any kind of significant processor activity (even scrolling), it has started making a buzzing noise. It gets increasingly loud as brightness is turned up or activity increases. It sounds like it's from the upper left corner but I can't be sure. Is that where the power supply is located?

What model? The power supply is located there in many models, but the graphic heatsink and its fan are also there on some models as well.

xzoto1
Jan 18, 2010

How's life in a bigger prison, Dae-su?
So... I replaced the broken LCD+Digitizer myself. I ordered the LCD+Digitizer and once it arrived I immediately stripped down my iPhone. I had everything reassembled with the new screen to then find out that the cables were too short (manufacture error). I reassembled my phone with my old cracked screen and it was working fine. I was then sent a new LCD+Digitizer and this time the cables looked fine. I reassembled my phone once again and the cables worked this time. I powered my phone on and was met with bleeding colors and the screen looked like poo poo in general (they advertise as a OEM product; my rear end!). I disassembled the phone yet again to put my old screen back on; I was met with a black screen. Uh oh. Nothing is showing up! I tried to do a hard reset and my iTunes pops up on my laptop screen and the phones vibrator still works. I tried plugging in the "new" screen again and the Apple logo showed up for a second and then it cut to black. I don't know what's going on? Now both screens aren't working! All of the connecters are snapped in correctly. The only thing I can think of is that from all of the reassembling I could have worn out the connecters on the motherboard?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

The Revue is a unit that's supposed to work with most HDTVs. Not many TVs use RF or BT controllers (although this is changing, quite a few TV makers including Vizio and Sony are starting to use BT) but for the majority, infrared based controllers are the reigning control method in TVs.
Yeah I understand the Revue unit itself using IR to control the TVs...but the keyboard just needs to talk to the Revue itself.

xzoto1 posted:

iPhone :words:
Try the iPhone thread.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
The keyboard and trackpad just stopped working on my mid-2011 macbook air. I was using the trackpad when it stopped responding (the OS still working fine)

I rebooted by holding the power key and still nothing, I'm having to use a USB keyboard and mouse now..

This sucks.

edit: reset the PRAM and SMC and now it's working.. very strange, I hope it doesn't happen again :(

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 8, 2012

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

xzoto1 posted:

The only thing I can think of is that from all of the reassembling I could have worn out the connecters on the motherboard?

Were you ESD safe while you did this?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
After watching someone plug an Air into a Thunderbolt display, I was blown away. Basically the Thunderbolt display is a docking station for your laptop? After plugging it in, the display let you set where the laptop was sitting in relation to the screen for having a two screen setup. It also had a setting which just mirrored whatever was on the laptop screen (letting you close the laptop), but it seemed to orient everything for the bigger display instead of just a straight mirror at higher resolution.

Anyway, it was pretty impressive. I guess Thunderbolt stuff is still new so there isn't a lot of widespread adoption? For example, can Windows 7 talk to the monitor the same way I saw it working in Lion? Specifically, would an Air running Windows 7 be able to use the Thunderbolt display and have it instantly pop on and offer you the settings and such? It will be cool when more and more Thunderbolt adapters come out. I'm guessing right now it would be impossible to hook it up your cable box and PS3 and stuff, but if that is possible down the line then I wouldn't even need a TV anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sadly that monitor and $600 2-drive RAID arrays are like the only Thunderbolt accesories :(

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

After watching someone plug an Air into a Thunderbolt display, I was blown away. Basically the Thunderbolt display is a docking station for your laptop? After plugging it in, the display let you set where the laptop was sitting in relation to the screen for having a two screen setup.

This has been a feature of Macs since forever (or more actually since they got external monitors.) It's not a Thunderbolt feature.

quote:

For example, can Windows 7 talk to the monitor the same way I saw it working in Lion? :words:

You might want to look at the thread's title REEEALL HARD and ask in the appropriate thread..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

This has been a feature of Macs since forever (or more actually since they got external monitors.) It's not a Thunderbolt feature.

You might want to look at the thread's title REEEALL HARD and ask in the appropriate thread..

I think he was amazed more by the docking feature. Also, I think he was just asking if the Thunderbolt display worked on a Mac running Windows 7 or if it was an OS X only deal

Apparently it works fine in Windows 7

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4617

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

What model? The power supply is located there in many models, but the graphic heatsink and its fan are also there on some models as well.

It's a 2011 27". I looked on ifixit.com and I couldn't get a frame of reference for where the PSU is located.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

It's a 2011 27". I looked on ifixit.com and I couldn't get a frame of reference for where the PSU is located.

Yay my newly acquired ACMT skills came in handy. This is from the service manual. It's the dark grey thing on the upper left:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Sadly that monitor and $600 2-drive RAID arrays are like the only Thunderbolt accesories :(
I imagine that will start to change once the newer TB chips start shipping next quarter along with more computers with TB.

So about a year and a half since release for TB to just start becoming viable for consumers :v:.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mr. Onslaught posted:

For example, can Windows 7 talk to the monitor the same way I saw it working in Lion? Specifically, would an Air running Windows 7 be able to use the Thunderbolt display and have it instantly pop on and offer you the settings and such?

Yeah. I have that type of setup with a 17" MBP but the Air does that too. After you've set it up once, it doesn't offer you to set it up though, it just detects if the display is there and uses it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Weird question, but does anyone know where to find Apple's SNMP MIB for the Airport Extreme on the latest firmware (7.6.1)? I found this but it's old as poo poo and I'm coming up empty searching around for it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I've had a problem with any 3D graphics freezing for about one third of a second about every 10-20 seconds in any game on my early 2011 MBP 17".

As far as I can tell it' not a hardware problem because games are running fine in Windows 7. Specifically, Team Fortress 2 freezes up in Mac OS, but not in Windows. GTA San Andreas freezes up in Mac OS even when I play it on 800x600. Half-Life 2 Episode 2 also freezes up in Mac OS.

The problem has persisted through all versions of Mac OS ever since that MBP came out (10.6.6 through 10.7.3). I haven't really pursued the issue because I'm not playing games all that much on that machine and it's fine otherwise.

I have tried disabling and enabling the setting in Mac OS that switches between graphics systems. Same results for both settings.

I have googled for solutions and found some people describing similar things, but no solutions. Should I have it serviced? It seems that if this problem was widespread, it would be well-known. While I think the graphics hardware itself seems to be working right, maybe there's something wrong with the logic board that only shows up in Mac OS.

Thank you for any ideas.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 8, 2012

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Bob Morales posted:

drat, hopefully it starts exploding soon to justify the cost of the Thunderbolt Display. I still might just buy one anyway and hope the usability is expanded in the future.

Binary Badger posted:

You gain access to extra USB ports, Firewire, ethernet, etc. when you plug your laptop into a Cinema Display? I didn't know that.

quote:

Yeah the title of the thread is Mac Hardware. My question is about a Macbook Air and the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

flavor posted:

Yeah. I have that type of setup with a 17" MBP but the Air does that too. After you've set it up once, it doesn't offer you to set it up though, it just detects if the display is there and uses it.

Ah ok cool thanks. Is there any bump in performance if you are just mirroring the display on the big monitor with your laptop closed? There is a real lack of hands on info about Thunderbolt and Windows, which makes sense I guess. I did come across this unrelated thing though, kind of interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKx-cr4bi74

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Ah ok cool thanks. Is there any bump in performance if you are just mirroring the display on the big monitor with your laptop closed? There is a real lack of hands on info about Thunderbolt and Windows, which makes sense I guess. I did come across this unrelated thing though, kind of interesting:

I'm not noticing any performance degradation, but I'm not mirroring the display. I'm using its full resolution (2560x1440), whether I've got the lid closed or not. Mirroring would mean that I'd be using a non-native 1920x1200 on the Thunderbolt Display.

One limitation of the Air vs. the MBP is that the Air (at least the 11" one, not sure about the 13") can only use one Thunderbolt Display whereas the MBP can use two.

The Apple bluetooth keyboard and the magic mouse also work in Windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

flavor posted:

One limitation of the Air vs. the MBP is that the Air (at least the 11" one, not sure about the 13") can only use one Thunderbolt Display whereas the MBP can use two.

I thought you could daisy-chain the thunderbolt displays to each other?