Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

I've got my battleID up in the diablo 3 thread in PGS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Korwen posted:

I've got my battleID up in the diablo 3 thread in PGS.

Battle.net says I can't download it yet :( Do I have :downs:

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Because you cant turn it by hand in one smooth, even, same-speed motion. The performance of that welder is entirely dependent on covering X amount of material in Y amount of time given Z weld settings

Yeah but it still seems like it would be easier to have a machine turn the pipe than turn a giant rear end welder around the pipe in one smooth, even, same-speed motion.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Also I'm guessing it's real popular for doing in-place repairs on stuff like pipelines.

This makes perfect sense.

Z3n:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2827498397.html
cheapest, in all respects

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/2836860515.html
seems reasonable if you want to stay local-ish

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-Ult...1#ht_3812wt_954
The standard do-anything wheelset.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Turn in on those badboys would be fantastic.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

invision posted:

Turn in on those badboys would be fantastic.

I'd like to see them jump down some stairs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zenaida posted:

Z3n:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/2827498397.html
cheapest, in all respects

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/2836860515.html
seems reasonable if you want to stay local-ish

Cool, I'm actually busy spending money on my tool stuff first but then wheels for the bicycle will be up!

Plus I need to stop being lazy and start getting the bikes out of the garage. Health insurance lapsed so I'm dying cause I have no allergy medication :(

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Cool, I'm actually busy spending money on my tool stuff first but then wheels for the bicycle will be up!

Plus I need to stop being lazy and start getting the bikes out of the garage. Health insurance lapsed so I'm dying cause I have no allergy medication :(

Man I sure hope that isn't a rubber allergy. :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Maybe try lambskins for a while?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Nah, that would just produce another surprise project z3n will abandon a month in.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

"Ambiguously Asian & White homogenized baby parts for sale:"

- Lungs (new condition) $400
- Toes (9 in total) $50
- Plasma, not even broken in $200...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Spiffness posted:

- Toes (9 in total) $50

Did you find a 690 SMC for sale?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Spiffness posted:

- Toes (9 in total) $50

"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I am not a welder but I did melt some metal.

Radiators are not easy to weld.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

I am not a welder

Nor are you a weldor. :eng101:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Nor are you a weldor. :eng101:

I'll blame the paint fumes.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

I'll blame the paint fumes.

More like Smelldor, then? Se far as I can judge from that picture it's not too bad for a first weld. I feel confident that you'll master it with some practice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I haven't been updating my thread lately, but I'll get to it soon.

In the meantime, Motomind dropped by with a toy for us to scare the poo poo out of ourselves enjoy in fun and safety.

We took a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDkoi65v_Mk

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That video is less than useless. What the gently caress.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

It looks like a video game to me, but I can't be sure because it's mostly just ... black?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

quote:

The game's levels are fairly linear in nature and incorporate several horror elements, the most prominent of which is darkness. This design choice is not only intended to foster feelings of apprehension and fear within the player, but also to create a more threatening game environment in which the player is less likely to see attacking enemies. This aspect is further enhanced by the fact that the player must choose between holding a weapon and holding the flashlight, forcing the player to choose between being able to see and having a readied weapon upon entering a room, which consequently leads to a more deliberate pace for the player. In addition, the levels are regularly strewn with corpses, dismembered body parts and blood, sometimes used in conjunction with the game's lighting to disorient the player.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

That video is less than useless. What the gently caress.

This is the important part:

But anyways, this is what it is:

Except, you know, chinese and lovely. A front brake that doesn't stop the wheel from spinning, a rear brake that can't lock the rear tire, and then me and motomind bombing through the Oakland hills. We way overcooked it the first time around and ended up essentially drifting the sidehack around a sharp corner. You haven't lived until you're praying that you can make it around a corner with the tires squealing, attempting to get as close to another man's rear end as possible in the prayer that it'll give you enough traction to not go headfirst into a curb.

All in all, highly recommended.

Real update on what's going on with the bikes to come...tomorrow?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The turn in question:

The vehicle in question:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20-Impakt-Sidehack-BMX-Bicycle/12554957

First time around (actually) was Z3n inexplicably wearing out his shoe trying to slow the sidecar wheel while I coasted down the hill and toward the turn at a leisurely pace. Second time was Z3n saying "let's see how fast this thing can take that turn" and me saying OKAY! and cranking from the top of the hill, then discovering that the brakes are not only weak but indeed totally ineffective at higher speeds, and not suitable for slowing our combined weight down to a sane corner entry speed. Something about the pesky exponent in E=M*V^2 I guess? This led to a rapid evaluation of the remaining slope (not promising) and a reevaluation of the upcoming turn (more promising). Amazing how it changes when you look at things in context. I put the rig on a wide, expanding radius arc through the turn and let it all hang out. Z3n did a monster job of getting his weight to the inside.

"Trust the pilot. Respect the monkey."

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 16, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My mind is blown that WalMart sells a sidecar rig

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'll be generous and give 3 weeks until it's motorized.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

I'll be generous and give 3 weeks until it's motorized.

A battery pack under the sidecar platform and a rear hub motor would be pretty sick, and help solve the problem of having to push it up hills as well as reduce its tendency to fly the car at the slightest right hand turn.

Functional brakes are a priority though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Make just a functional brake on the hack wheel, then hook the poo poo out of that turn.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Solex that bitch!!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Solex that bitch!!

AHEM

or be a man bout it

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

http://www.electricrider.com/crystalyte/phoenixiikit.htm

PHOENIX II 7240 sounds like just the ticket at 2880W (72V/40A).

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

KARMA! posted:

Solex that bitch!!

Sorry Karma, I think Spiffness wins that one. I would love to see a turbine powered sidecar bicycle...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Sorry Karma, I think Spiffness wins that one. I would love to see a turbine powered sidecar bicycle...

Ok, throwdown. Are you ready for this?! PULSEJET BIKE. boom. done.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ok, it's been awhile since I've done a "real" update.

The garage as it sat halfway through the day:

My super clean workbench and American Eagle backup welding mask on the wall:

First order of bisness was attending to some stuff on the GSX-R. I checked the valves and replaced the cam chain tensioner. There's still a grip of work that needs to be done to that thing but at least the rattle of the cam chain has stopped. I've ordered a plastex kit to do some basic repairs on the fairings, and it needs some basic supplies that I will deal with when I get off my rear end and get to a motorcycle dealership to order them.

GSX-R looking...acceptable:

So the real brunt of the day was several hours spent welding and dicking around with bracketry on the subframe of the SV. Because I have no raw materials and no way of quickly cutting stuff (I desperately need to buy a bandsaw), everything is done with a dremel or angle grinder. It gets the job done but is slow.

But on the bright side, I am progressing as a welder:

I tried to get a picture of the smoke rising out of the subframe as a bunch of paint vaporized from the welding but it didn't really turn out. On the bright side, my new respirators fit wonderfully under the welding helmet and I couldn't smell a bit of it.

I also had to order some new HSS drill bits because the ones I had were too dull to cut through the brackets I made.

I also started chopping down the undertail, and need to figure out some sort of solution for the rest of the undertail, because the SV one obviously doesn't really fit the ducati tail. And then I need to make a mount for turn signals, license plate, and blinkers, and the extract the hose I accidentally dropped in the gas tank awhile back, make new headlight brackets, and the bike will be done.

The other SV needs a headlight mount and a gauge cluster mount and it will be good to go. Not sure when the raw aluminum I ordered is showing up, and I need to get the mill up on to it's table so I can use it.

Nearly done with the welding for now though...which is good, because I'm almost out of argon. Need a ~40CF bottle next time.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the SV rideable for the first time since I've gotten to the bay. :bubblewoop:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gently caress yes. I can't wait to see the tail end in person. Because, of course, you're gonna ride your rear end down here and take Highway 9 with me after I treat you to a meal of absolutely loving nothing, apparently

Did your fingerprints come back yet?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

That's a pretty week weld. Your technique however is really improving. Step 1 will be to wire-wheel the gently caress out of any surface you want to successfully weld.

Z3n posted:

I also had to order some new HSS drill bits because the ones I had were too dull to cut through the brackets I made.

A $50 wet-grinder and a guide will keep your HSS drills sharp till they're too short to really harm any metal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

That's a pretty week weld. Your technique however is really improving. Step 1 will be to wire-wheel the gently caress out of any surface you want to successfully weld.

A $50 wet-grinder and a guide will keep your HSS drills sharp till they're too short to really harm any metal.

Yeah but I'm lazy and drill bits are cheap and shipped free via Amazon Prime. Hooray for being American.

Anyways, one of these things is not like the others:

:sigh:

Compression tester shows up on Friday morning. Interestingly enough, the engine sounded fine...was a little slow to start but reved cleanly. Definitely wasn't missing on a cylinder, so that's a good sign. Maybe it was broken before install, or maybe...who knows.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 23, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:whatup:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

:whatup:

How long before that one gets chopped up? When you do I'll take the frame sliders and rear spools assuming they fit a first gen.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

Did you make the wheel chock?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

How long before that one gets chopped up? When you do I'll take the frame sliders and rear spools assuming they fit a first gen.

This one isn't getting chopped but I do have a set of motosliders that might fit a gen 1...do you know how long the rod that goes through the engine is on those? They've been crashed but they're functional.

echomadman posted:

Did you make the wheel chock?

Grew the wood myself.

(no, it's a HF chock)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

170 psi across all 4 cylinders. Broken spark plug can't keep a good Suzuki down!

• Locked thread