Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MoFauxHawk posted:

I'm gonna use this as a chance to plug my food blog. I get to do it once here, okay. It was the first result on Google for 'santorum 2012' for several months, but it dropped down to number three a few days ago, drat it.

http://santorum-2012.com

This is hilarious and awesome and kind of unsettling.

E: New page; Stop get at me if you need Boalt clinic info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

rockin peanut posted:

Another Canadian here; I write the LSAT on Saturday. I've studied maybe 10 hours this month because work is getting crazy (tax season). Based on my score and how I feel about life in 8 months when I get my accounting designation, I may apply for the 2013 fall semester. I have enough time to write again in between if I need to, so I'm not concerned.

I feel in my gut that I won't end up wanting to go, but this just gives me some options. Time will tell.

Also I love the law, everyone says I'm great at arguing, and if I don't get a Biglaw job I'd be happy with academia or something else low-key.

And I really just want to learn to *think* like a lawyer, you know?

Which accounting designation are you pursuing and what was your undergrad background/marks?

There's a fair bit of overlap between tax law and tax accounting as well.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
nm can you please tazer me in the balls every time I try to read the Cops On The Beat thread. Thanks.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Penguins Like Pies posted:

So, what charter violation(s) are you alleging? Let me guess, s. 8, s. 10(a), and s. 10(b)? (I managed to allege a s. 9 once. That was fun!)

Maybe this makes me a terrible person, but I think DUIs are great for trial experience. They're extremely technical, so it's not like there'll be much of a curveball (unless the officer forgets everything, then horray for you).

It'll be 8 and 9 plus a bolus drinking defence.

For our American friends, that means it's an allegation of unreasonable search/seizure, arbitrary detention, and that he was drinking after driving but before the breath test.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 30, 2013

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

BigHead posted:

Also, is it "a half dozen" or "half a dozen?"

Also, should it go ?" or "? in the preceding sentence. Goddamnit where's Strunk and White?

Also, what's better, Santorum having a chance at being the nominee or homos getting married?
1. Both are correct, but only if you use appropriate punctuation. You didn't. You can have "half (of) a dozen," or you can have "a half-dozen." Note the hyphen: "half-dozen" is a single word that, in this instance, is being used as a noun.

2. The question mark goes outside of the quotation mark because the phrase that you are quoting is not itself a question. Thus you are not quoting a question, and the question is your own.

3. Marriage is better.

Bringing a little bit of sanity to this thread, three questions at a time.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

BigHead posted:

nm can you please tazer me in the balls every time I try to read the Cops On The Beat thread. Thanks.

How drunk were you, you can tell the truth this is a safe space

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Dogen posted:

A little over a year. We moved back to Austin and my wife got a job before we even came back (I went to UHLC), and I've been doing doc review work and odd jobs.

If you can afford it, try looking in to the law clerk / volunteer atty program. It would obviously be unpaid, but i think they'll let you come in part time. That would be my recommendation for improving your interview chances. Btw, use the OAG site for clerking/volunteering, not work in texas.

Narfbombs
May 1, 2009
What are people's thoughts on transferring after 1L. Provided I do similarly this coming semester, I'll be at/near the top of my class at a T2 and I think I have a shot at transferring to a t14, but I'm not really sure it's worth giving up the scholarship and attention I have been getting from the school.

Are the prospects of being just another member of the class at some of these better schools an advantage over being at the top at a lower?

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Narfbombs posted:

What are people's thoughts on transferring after 1L. Provided I do similarly this coming semester, I'll be at/near the top of my class at a T2 and I think I have a shot at transferring to a t14, but I'm not really sure it's worth giving up the scholarship and attention I have been getting from the school.

Are the prospects of being just another member of the class at some of these better schools an advantage over being at the top at a lower?

being a member of the class at duke gets you easy access to men's bball season tickets so yes there are certainly some compelling and unique advantages

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Narfbombs posted:

My knee-jerk reaction is do it. I saw someone earlier in this thread use some awesome typeface shenanigans to explain why the thread should back their decision to go to law school. Therefore I, too, shall use all sorts of typeface variations and even an awesome numbers-in-parentheses system to expose the rationale behind my declaration. It is obviously how one thinks like a lawyer.

Reasons to Do It.

(1) Even if you're Mr./Ms. Awesome Law Student, you don't know how your 2L grades are going to go. Yeah, you might retain your Top 1% ranking at your T2 school. Or maybe you'll get hosed and fall so many loving spots that it literally hurts because you've tied so much of your identity and self-worth to how professors who don't give a gently caress evaluate poo poo you crammed onto a three-hour exam. And then all you'll be left with is your school's prestige (lol) and not much else except that nice taste of bitter regret every time you think about how you shouldn't have been so god damned cocky god dammit poo poo gently caress.

(2) Even if you go to Whatever T-14 School and end up in the middle of the class, you have the school's prestige (maybe not entirely lol-worthy) to help get you interviews, callbacks, and offers.

(3) But because you're a Special Snowflake, you'll do amazingly well at your new school. All the better to nab that great job! Also, the employers will be "better" (more Big Law bullshit), and there will be more of them. Also, you'll be competitive if you want to go into Federal Government! Further, in future school-related dick measuring contests with fellow associates, you won't feel like you're sporting a sweet castration scar of whatever T2 you're currently attending.

(4) Better clerkship potential.

Reasons Not to Do It.

(1) You know how you made friends 1L year and now you guys are like the best of friends and things are great and you can always get shitfaced and talk about how law is so stupid and funny and you have these insufferable law-related jokes that you feel ashamed about enjoying but nonetheless just shove those feelings of self-loathing deep down to the dark places because nobody likes a downer when alcohol-induced oblivion is in the works? Well, congratulations! You get to leave all of that behind and forever not have real friends or even the "law school friends" substitute. Note. This may not be a negative if you're one of those insufferable kids who didn't make 1L friends.

(2) You're going to take on more debt! It'll be like that time that Giles Corey was hanging out, and then was randomly accused of being an rear end in a top hat witch with a shitton of wickedly lucrative land. When it came to taking on something that would inevitably lead to his demise, he cried "more weight!" And so shall you! It's an theater analogy! You are the ostracized pilgrim. The stone is the debt. It will kill you. But by attending the higher school, you're asking for more of the debt. Analogy explained.

(3) You might be a pretty chill person and still find yourself without any job prospects post-transfer. Like Linguica. But sigmachiev will tell you it's awesome. The moral of the story is don't transfer to Michigan. Maybe transfer to Boalt.

e: Since you're a Law School Superstar, I'll let you attribute the appropriate weight to, as well as balance, the factors. But it's not a test to be mechanically applied. Oh ho ho! It, like all decisions, depends upon your own judgment and discretion.

Green Crayons fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 8, 2012

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Green Crayons posted:

Stuff

I don't remember ever reading any of your posts before this, but this one was really funny. You seem like a chill bro. We should play ultimate some time.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

HiddenReplaced posted:

I don't remember ever reading any of your posts before this, but this one was really funny. You seem like a chill bro. We should play ultimate some time.

Speaking of ultimate, I am pretty sad we don't have an intramural indoor league this year :(

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sulecrist posted:

being a member of the class at duke gets you easy access to men's bball season tickets so yes there are certainly some compelling and unique advantages

Like watching FSU come into your house and beat you lol

e: and UM too lollll

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 8, 2012

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Narfbombs posted:

If you are getting lots of good attention at your school, that could really help you find a position in your school's region. My law firm has a number of graduates from the local (T1 I think) law school, and these people were usually highly ranked in their class.

So my question is, do you want to practice in the region of your school?

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

BigHead posted:

The thread's actually pretty good if you hit the little "?" under nm's name to limit it to his posts and ignore everyone else.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigHead posted:

I know some cops who can take care of that for you. :downsrim:

I have been unable to find the speeding ticket reference that set you off. Where did it come from?

SPEEDING TICKET

e: OK, found it. Even given the tone of COTB, you kinda flew off the handle.
Objection, facts not in evidernce, improper inference.
Sustained.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 8, 2012

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Narfbombs posted:

GreenCrayons' post really nailed it.

I decided to transfer basically weighing those same factors and it worked out well, I could not have gotten my job and location coming from FSU, where I was for 1L year. Also, if you are near the top of a lower school you can absolutely do well at a top school, especially when you are coming in as a 2L and nobody is doing any work anymore.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 8, 2012

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mikeraskol posted:

GreenCrayons' post really nailed it.

I decided to transfer basically weighing those same factors and it worked out well, I could not have gotten my job and location coming from FSU, where I was for 1L year. Also, if you are near the top of a lower school you can absolutely do well at a top school, especially when you are coming in as a 2L and nobody is doing any work anymore.

Yeah, I've found that a lot of the transfers into my school did pretty well, mostly because they felt like they had to prove themselves again while the non-transfers mostly stopped giving a gently caress.

I say go for it if you can swing it.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Like watching FSU come into your house and beat you lol

e: and UM too lollll

>:[

(that's accurate)

Penguins Like Pies
May 21, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

It'll be 8 and 9 plus a bolus drinking defence.

For our American friends, that means it's an allegation of unreasonable search/seizure, arbitrary detention, and that he was drinking after driving but before the breath test.

Bahahahahaha. That sounds like it'd be fun, well, as fun as an impaired can get.

When will you be called?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Narfbombs posted:

First to the person looking to transfer: we need more details including what T2 and where, and what you want to do and where you want to be. Second, Green Crayons is basically right with everything but I want to touch on his Don't Go point re: making friends. I made quite a few friends and even more acquaintances since coming here. I have people to drink/smoke/game with, etc. I like the people here quite a bit and have different circles for different things that make me me...

...but none of them are even close in importance to me compared to my crews in SD (and certainly not Seattle but that's another dynamic). A whole extra year to get to know the people here better, and still it's not close. Bar Trip? Rolling with SD crew. Weekend trip to Vegas this semester? Rolling with SD crew. There's maybe two guys I'm hoping to keep in contact with, and every single other person I've met in the Bay (who will not be of assistance to me in some career ambition) gets deuces and mazel tovs. Also, you are more likely to be friends with the transfers, so how big a school's transfer class is will likely have a big impact on your social life.

This might sound pretty lovely and a big reason to stay at your current school, and maybe it is for you. This isn't me telling you not to go - I'd still need those specific details about what you want to do and where you're at. But I'm a huge believer in Quality of Life (says the BigLawyer-To-Be) and think there's much to be said for that *during* law school. For me Quality of Life has a lot to do with who is in it. If you're the same this should weigh heavier in your decision to go for it or not and it's really something I didn't consider at all when I was applying.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 8, 2012

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

mikeraskol posted:

especially when you are coming in as a 2L and nobody is doing any work anymore.
The worst people are 3Ls with jobs still trying hard.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I decided not to transfer based on the increased debt load and having to try to write on to another law review, but I generally agree that the factors listed by GC are what need to be considered.

Wonder how things would have gone if I'd headed Ann Arbor way....

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep
Two more things:

Whether or not you can apply for Law Review at the new school might make a big difference.

And OCI firms at the new law school might not know what to make of you, and how to compare you to your classmates, considering that you'll have no grades at your new school.

Lilosh
Jul 13, 2001
I'm Lilosh with an OSHY

Zarkov Cortez posted:

The worst people are 3Ls with jobs still trying hard.

On the other side of this, If I were on the border of Magna or Summa, I'd probably try hard to end up on the right side of the line.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Overheard in Court during a hearing on a motion to set aside a judgment nisi:

"Why didn't you turn yourself in if you knew you had this warrant?"
"I thought I'd just listen to a higher power."
"GOD TOLD YOU NOT TO TURN YOURSELF IN?"
"I meant my lawyer."

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

MoFauxHawk posted:

And OCI firms at the new law school might not know what to make of you, and how to compare you to your classmates, considering that you'll have no grades at your new school.

This is a very good point. Half my OCI was spent trying to get into NYC and no one cared because despite excellent grades, they didn't have a crib sheet explaining what those grades meant at my small, not national at all school in California. I'm speculating here, but I'm pretty certain this fact is more crucial than local ties.

E: Also likely had something to do with fact I had never been in NY. Also that I was still at a California school, albeit one that does send people to New York. Basically I had way too many things working against me and they weren't smart bids even with being at a better spot.

sigmachiev fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 8, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Bighead, no problem buddy.

Man, I know it gets cold and dark up in the frigid north, but man, posting drunk is just a bad idea, regardless of your latitude. No one was advocating shooting cops for tickets. I looked.
certainly there is some hyperbole and some true cop haters in that thread, but no one advocated killing cops in that thread. Well, at least in the last few weeks. (And generally, they do get shouted down.)
Sucks you got probated though.

On my phone, how long did you get banned for?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

MoFauxHawk posted:

I didn't find this to be too much of a problem with my transfer class, almost all of us did very well in OCI and were treated fairly by interviewers. I only remember one firm acting weird about me being a transfer.

Also, sigmachiev's point about 1L friends is really important. I still talk to all my 1L friends, and visit them often. One of the good things about transferring to NYU is that they require Admin Law in your first year, which almost no other school does. Because of that they have a specific transfer Admin Law class in your first semester you get here, so it was like being in a 1L section with your fellow transfer students which really helped in coming together as a group and being more social.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

mikeraskol posted:

I didn't find this to be too much of a problem with my transfer class, almost all of us did very well in OCI and were treated fairly by interviewers. I only remember one firm acting weird about me being a transfer.

Our transfer class did well too, but where someone ended up depended a lot on where one came from. Most came from CA schools and most are going to CA firms, that sorta thing. I know two who are going into JAG, and one has some PI gig but he's a Cal Tech uber smarty and could have done whatever.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

mikeraskol posted:

My old firm, at the time I left, basically wouldn't consider transfers unless your school/grades were good enough to get an interview at the prior school. It kind of sucked.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Hey I just lost a trial where my client was facing life without the possibility of parole, how is everyone else's day going? Great? Swell.

:smithicide:

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.

Lilosh posted:

On the other side of this, If I were on the border of Magna or Summa, I'd probably try hard to end up on the right side of the line.

That isn't the "other side" of it. That is just you demonstrating his point.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Torpor posted:

Hey I just lost a trial where my client was facing life without the possibility of parole, how is everyone else's day going? Great? Swell.

Sorry to hear dude.

Don't do the crime if you can't take a bite out of it... or something.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Torpor posted:

You did what you could do, now just sit back and wait for the appeal where your client claims your ineffective assistance denied him a fair trial. Ahhh the life of a crim defense lawyer

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Torpor posted:

Welcome to the club! If it was for less than an ounce of crack you get bonus points.
On the :smithicide: side, once you get used to LWOP, you can start death penalty work.

fake edit: Since you were able to just post in a complete sentence with correct spelling, you've just proved to the appellate court's satisfaction that you weren't IAC.

real edit: facing LWOP or got LWOP?

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I'm not worried about IAC. If it's there, then it's there and I can sleep at night knowing the guy truly got a fair shake. I did the best I could, asked all the questions I could ask, and prepared as much as I could.

That being said, losing sucks.

It's LWOP. Sentencing is coming up, the client was just found guilty recently.

I gotta say, though, trial is a helluva drug. :catdrugs:

Torpor fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Trial (and, to a lesser extent, argument in motion practice) is the juice litigators live for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Penguins Like Pies posted:

Bahahahahaha. That sounds like it'd be fun, well, as fun as an impaired can get.

When will you be called?

Finish articling in the first week of July, so I'm missing the June call and have to wait 'til September. But that's okay, I'll take July off and do agent work in August.

edit:

quote:

:smith:

I'm still hella new to this game so my worst loss so far was a sentencing where the judge almost laughed me out of court when I asked for a 90 day intermittent (weekend) sentence to let the client keep his job (he had almost a dozen breaches of court orders on his record).

CmdrSmirnoff fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 9, 2012