Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

There's a new McLaren coming and it's a proper hypercar :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wamsutta posted:

I think it looks awesome but am bummed they hopped aboard the AWD hybrid bandwagon. An NSX should be RWD. :mad:

I dunno, to me the old NSX was clearly more about handling and balance over raw power and top speed, so AWD won't necessarily betray that aspect of it. I just wish it looked even remotely like the old one instead of just like every other Acura. Also since it's not RWD that'll keep it out of any Formula D nonsense.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A5H posted:

There's a new McLaren coming and it's a proper hypercar :ssh:

This was always the plan IIRC. Build the MP4--12C as the "practical" McLaren to fund the F1 successor.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was just looking at what's at the Chicago auto show and saw this:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/kia-trackster.html

Kia did a concept that's a 250hp AWD track version of the Soul basically. Cute little thing that'd be really fun to whip around a track I imagine.

Just yesterday I found myself seriously looking at the turbo Kia Optima on their website. Possibly my first non-American car? I'm getting tired of waiting for Dodge to bring back the Magnum.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
The Optima is a really good looking car with a great engine. Interior seemed so-so however.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

You want Dodge to bring back this? :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Thwomp posted:

You want Dodge to bring back this? :stare:
Why not? That poo poo ruled. RWD station wagon with a big thirsty V8 up front? That car settled America.

No stick shift unfortunately. :( There used to be some goon who regularly tracked his, he had an avatar from one of those wife swap shows.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 8, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Those things looked pretty sweet with a dualtone paint job, but I wouldn't want the V8. I'd want the same V6 and 8 speed auto the 2012 Charger has that gets ~290hp and 30mpg on the highway. I just need a daily driver that can also hold all my gear for work but I don't want some off-road ground clearance SUV to do it. I'd love a smaller car for the 80% of the time I have no gear with me but that's not really an option.

sanchez posted:

The Optima is a really good looking car with a great engine. Interior seemed so-so however.
I've driven nothing but Chevrolets since 1998 so I had handle a crummy interior :cool:

davebo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 8, 2012

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can't not see a Dodge badged 300 with a trunk cover when I look at a Magnum. It's just :psyduck:

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Thwomp posted:

I can't not see a Dodge badged 300 with a trunk cover when I look at a Magnum. It's just :psyduck:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Thwomp posted:

Well, I mean, that is what it is.

edit: GODAMINT

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Well now! I never knew the 300 wagon existed (Europe!). I knew the Charger/300/Challenger/Magnum all shared the same basic underpinnings.

Still, I think the Magnum is ugly as gently caress. :colbert:

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.

sanchez posted:

I love the design and feel of the interior compared to comparable sedans in the class/price range, but the door panels and dash do get marked/scuffed very easily. I gather that many new cars are like this these days, though. I have a 2011, which I think has much better-looking seats than the new ones in the '12 (at least in the SX).

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Thwomp posted:

Still, I think the Magnum is ugly as gently caress. :colbert:
I probably would have liked the Magnum if they had given it the same front end as the Charger. The Magnum looks so derpy. The Angry Charger Face would have been a lot better.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I liked the Magnum more when they went to this front fascia.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why not? That poo poo ruled. RWD station wagon with a big thirsty V8 up front? That car settled America.

It doesn't count as a wagon in my books - simply not enough space in the back. Same problem the new Commodore 'wagon' has

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Someone's never seen an E30 Touring...

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
They should have just offered the 300C wagon instead of the Magnum. I think the current gen 300 would look slick as gently caress as a wagon.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Something a little more Australian?

http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/clubsportR8tourer

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

tobu posted:

Something a little more Australian?

http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/clubsportR8tourer

Now, that. I'd drive the poo poo out of that.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

travisray2004 posted:

Now, that. I'd drive the poo poo out of that.
Don't we already have that? As in, the CTS wagon?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
CTS is a bit smaller I think, and I imagine would be more expensive. That HSV is just the equivalent of a tarted-up G8.

Readheaded
Dec 22, 2004
Tish and piffle, I cannot conceive how that car with the performance of a car twice its price hasn't even got a teak glovebox or swan skin seatbelts. Inferior rubbish from the colonies, m
I am kind of embarrassed to admit that I think this Kia (which won't be produced) is stunning:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/First-Official-Pictures/Kia-Trakster-2012-first-official-pictures-/

It looks like a Soul, Z3 Coupe, Mini and Toaster mixed together.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Can everyone stop hating on my sweet prince the dodge magnum :ohdear: Its making me sad

It may drive like a tap dancing hippopotamus, but it was fast. Or at least fast enough to hang with an exige cup on R6's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

CTS is a bit smaller I think, and I imagine would be more expensive. That HSV is just the equivalent of a tarted-up G8.

HSVs are still enormously expensive - the R8 tourer starts at $68,600 AUD

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

kill me now posted:

Can everyone stop hating on my sweet prince the dodge magnum :ohdear: Its making me sad

It may drive like a tap dancing hippopotamus, but it was fast. Or at least fast enough to hang with an exige cup on R6's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG579ORDqo

I passed a GT3 once but I don't judge all GT3s based on one poor driver.

Edit: Tracking a Magnum is loving badass though.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

dissss posted:

An imported CTS-V coupe is pushing $250k IIRC so it's all relative.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

It's also a very good car and enormously fast. Probably worth every cent.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cat Terrist posted:

Hell, you could even just go for an SS Sportwagon and still stomp anything short of a unicorn AMG/M/RS wagon, and put the saving from the HSV towards a blower.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I passed a GT3 once but I don't judge all GT3s based on one poor driver.

Edit: Tracking a Magnum is loving badass though.

He wasnt a scrub of a driver (and I was on pirelli grand am spec slicks :v:)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kill me now posted:

He wasnt a scrub of a driver (and I was on pirelli grand am spec slicks :v:)
That'd explain why you had to upgrade the power steering cooler for sure. What did you do for braking, uprated pads on the stock Brembo calipers and solid rotors?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

Especially when you look at what other cars cost in Aussie (Standard WRX is mid 40's?). I think 68k for something like that is a fair deal.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I thought the Australian government recently approved(?) big subsidies for the Aus car industry, so with any luck, there will be enough government subsidized full size V8 cars for everyone.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 9, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Remember yesterday when I was saying I wanted a wagon, well this was at the Chicago auto show today:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrolet-cruze-station-wagon-2012.html

If they offered a turbo'd version of that or just got it a little more horsepower that'd be pretty sweet for my daily driving needs. Oh wait... you say it's only for Europe and GM will never sell it here like every other wagon they've done? Well gently caress you, GM.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

davebo posted:

Remember yesterday when I was saying I wanted a wagon, well this was at the Chicago auto show today:

If they offered a turbo'd version of that or just got it a little more horsepower that'd be pretty sweet for my daily driving needs. Oh wait... you say it's only for Europe and GM will never sell it here like every other wagon they've done? Well gently caress you, GM.

Seriously. If they put a bigger engine in this, I'd drive the poo poo out of a car like this. Why do you hate station wagons and hatchbacks, America? :negative:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Because we're still haunted by the boxy cars of the 80s and nice looking, non-overpriced hatches (GOLF :bahgawd:) are only just now coming onto the market.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

davebo posted:

Wait..They sell the cruze in Europe? Its not a Vauxhaul something or other?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Seriously. If they put a bigger engine in this, I'd drive the poo poo out of a car like this. Why do you hate station wagons and hatchbacks, America? :negative:

I think they use the "USA Doesn't want them" excuse (I'M TALKING TO YOU ESPECIALLY BMW YOU BASTARDS THAT WON'T BRING new 1/3/5 wagons) but it's really the fact that they will not risk jeopardizing even ONE high margin SUV/Crossover sale. Not even ONE! Now, the hatchbacks are a different customer IMO and the manufacturers will bring some of them over to compete in the Focus/Mazda3/Kia segment.

Of course it doesn't help that it costs a lot to have each model certified here so they will absolutely analyze any profit potential before even thinking about going through the process.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Keyser S0ze posted:

I think they use the "USA Doesn't want them" excuse (I'M TALKING TO YOU ESPECIALLY BMW YOU BASTARDS THAT WON'T BRING new 1/3/5 wagons) but it's really the fact that they will not risk jeopardizing even ONE high margin SUV/Crossover sale. Not even ONE! Now, the hatchbacks are a different customer IMO and the manufacturers will bring some of them over to compete in the Focus/Mazda3/Kia segment.

Of course it doesn't help that it costs a lot to have each model certified here so they will absolutely analyze any profit potential before even thinking about going through the process.

I've got high hopes for the Veloster Turbo. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm really thinking about being sensible and proactive and ordering a manual E90 328 Wagon before they are kaput and driving it for 10 years, since from here on out we only will get autobox X1/X3/X5. If they had brought over a 335 wagon I'd have one already. My non-sensible side wants a V8 M3 before they are extinct. :smith: