Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dockertae posted:

Most of what I remember from actually watching the first episode is the audience clapping and cheering at literally every word said by the presenters

The incident mentioned earlier where Laverne announces that a no-fly zone had gone up over Libya is the best example. Cue lots of clapping and cheering which gradually dies down into a confused 'hang on, is that actually good or bad?'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

gwaaargh posted:

This was the worst example, I think: the interview with Bob Crow.

Well they applauded Mitchell saying something stupid but apart from that?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

dos4gw posted:

It's just self-congratulatory bullshit for students and guardian readers who think that 'lol daily mail' and 'politicians are bad!' is incisive satire.

Yep, sums it up better than I ever could. I wish there was a show with some serious satire and media analysis. I just don't feel that a couple of columists, a DJ and comedian who tells Jim Davidson-esque jokes are a good choice for the show.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Think he's talking about the boos at the star of the interview with the union boss.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Channel 4 just need to get Mark Thomas back on the telly. I like Brooker, Mitchell, Carr and Laverne but the 11 O'Clock Show was just completely awful.

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010

Junkenstein posted:

The incident mentioned earlier where Laverne announces that a no-fly zone had gone up over Libya is the best example. Cue lots of clapping and cheering which gradually dies down into a confused 'hang on, is that actually good or bad?'.

I'm glad I didn't see/don't remember that. I don't remember much in the way of specific examples in general but in the one episode I watched I think it was a case of them saying things like "Now it's time for David to talk about the cost of education" while the audience laughed along regardless.

I'm just enjoying getting a chance to bitch about this show because the only other person I know who's seen it liked it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

dos4gw posted:

It's just self-congratulatory bullshit for students and guardian readers who think that 'lol daily mail' and 'politicians are bad!' is incisive satire.

Excellent summation. There's really nothing less funny in my book than dumbed down satire.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mickolution posted:

Excellent summation. There's really nothing less funny in my book than dumbed down satire.

None at all? Or Russell Howard's Good News?

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The turnaround from them booing him and them applauding his really obvious point about bankers makes me feel like you might as well run a show where you hold up flashcards with pictures for people to ridicule or applaud.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Remembering when it was being advertised and we all thought it wouldn't be poo poo? good times.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Bob Crow's been demonised in the press continuously for years. Then he starts talking sense and people change their tune, not exactly surprising.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I realise his appeal is probably a bit too mainstream and working class for the comedy connoisseurs of this thread, but I'm looking forward to the Kevin Bridges series that is starting on the BBC tonight.

Dockertae
Aug 9, 2010

Leyburn posted:

I realise his appeal is probably a bit too mainstream and working class for the comedy connoisseurs of this thread, but I'm looking forward to the Kevin Bridges series that is starting on the BBC tonight.

Oh cool I didn't realise that was tonight, I love Kevin Bridges. I saw on Jonathon Ross that he actually found the real Chad Hogan and had his party, can't wait!

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I seen him live in Edinburgh a few years back when we just turned up at the venue and just asked the ticket lady for a recommendation and she sold us Kevin Bridges tickets on the basis that they had added some extra dates and they were nearly sold out so it must be good.

I'd never even heard of the guy at the time and it was probably one of the funniest shows I've ever sat through. His whole act was basically the life experience of anyone in their twenties who grew up in the west of Scotland.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Leyburn posted:

I seen him live in Edinburgh a few years back when we just turned up at the venue and just asked the ticket lady for a recommendation and she sold us Kevin Bridges tickets on the basis that they had added some extra dates and they were nearly sold out so it must be good.

I'd never even heard of the guy at the time and it was probably one of the funniest shows I've ever sat through. His whole act was basically the life experience of anyone in their twenties who grew up in the west of Scotland.

I got free tickets to a comedy gig last night and thought i was going to see Kevin Bridges. It turned out I'd got the names mixed up and went to see Danny Bhoy instead.

He's basically the Scottish Michael McIntyre. I.e, nothing but "The scottish do this, but the [insert country][insert event][inert action] do this"; a few observational generic stereotype jokes and some guff about how he's been all over the world on tour. He was filming his DVD and there was no warm-up act. If I'd have paid for the tickets, it would have been £16 each.

On the other hand, last Friday I went to see Chris Ramsey and he is brilliant. First, he didn't think he was famous enough to have a warm-up act with him, so he did the slot himself to chat to the crowd for an hour whilst trying out new material and whatnot. Then, after the intermission, he did his tour act which was a properly structured storyline framed performance. We got about 3 hours of stand-up from the guy and the tickets were only £10.

The contrast between the two comedians was staggering. Go see Ramsey if you get the chance.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

dos4gw posted:

Agreed.

tbh the only thing I liked about Jimmy Carr in the whole show was his blue suit (lol).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Metrication posted:

Agreed.

tbh the only thing I liked about Jimmy Carr in the whole show was his blue suit (lol).

Provided you treated it as satire of really poo poo British comedians, Jimmy Carr dying on stage every week was the funniest bit of 10 o'clock live.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Kraxis posted:

Yeah I'll watch 10 O'Clock live to see if they learnt anything from the last series, but to be honest if they havn't I won't be going out of my way to see the rest. It has a lot of potential but just wasn't executed very well last time.
Edit: Also any excuse to fawn over Lauren Laverne, I don't know what it is about that woman but my god...

It doesnt have much potential at all, charlie brooker has proved in the past he is terrible at live tv/studio based tv, i suspect screenwipe is decent because its just him and its basically his guardian column spruced up. Laverne is a northern accent that used to be in a band or something? i dont know, carr has the easiest job given the circumstances as his only job is to do quick-fire jokes and make people laugh, although this doesnt always go to plan.

David mitchell should not even be there, a terrible, unfunny moaner, who isnt event he best moaner on the show. He should really stick to just playing mark corrigan and letting robert webb be the funny one.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Gorn Myson posted:

Channel 4 just need to get Mark Thomas back on the telly.

This. Forever and ever this.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They did a segment on banks fleeing the City seriously. :psyduck:

1 in 14 jobs is related to banking in the UK = Pay £1 million bonus to head of bank

1 in 7 jobs in the UK is as a direct result of the NHS = ????

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Never mind Ten o clock live, what the christ was that on afterwards.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

What the flying gently caress was that

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

They did a segment on banks fleeing the City seriously. :psyduck:

1 in 14 jobs is related to banking in the UK = Pay £1 million bonus to head of bank

1 in 7 jobs in the UK is as a direct result of the NHS = ????

That bit was just awful. Same for Jimmy Carr's sketch.

What happened after?

Really don't think I can bring myself to watch the next episode, the debate with Mitchell and Alastair Campbell was a bit of a Car crash as well.

The discussion bit was alright until they started talking about political systems in the most dumbed down way possible.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That thing that was on afterwards was loving amazing
Watch it here: http://randomacts.channel4.com/#view/164
Stay right through to the end it's brilliant.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

DreddyMatt posted:

This. Forever and ever this.

I want to see a Channel Four team-up between Mark Thomas and Robert Newman.

E: toss Chris Morris in the mix and you'll have a satire worth watching.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 9, 2012

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Guys do you remember when More4 used to show the daily show but they stopped carrying it because 10 Oclock live was going to give us the satire we all wanted and needed to make it through the day?

Hahahhahah good times.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Sion posted:

Guys do you remember when More4 used to show the daily show but they stopped carrying it because 10 Oclock live was going to give us the satire we all wanted and needed to make it through the day?

Hahahhahah good times.

Didn't they do a UK version of The Daily Show with Marcus Brigstoke for a while? I remember it not being very good (so in that respect it was very faithful).

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress I just watched

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's great that something like ...that... can make it on to TV. I'd totally watch a longer version too.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Squalitude posted:

It's great that something like ...that... can make it on to TV. I'd totally watch a longer version too.

It's a US show but check out 'Wondershowzen' if you can find it.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Wonder Showzen really is quite amazing, it has a certain nightmarish quality about I really enjoy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cloudchamber posted:

Oh god, I'm going to have nightmares :stonk:

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

Didn't they do a UK version of The Daily Show with Marcus Brigstoke for a while? I remember it not being very good (so in that respect it was very faithful).

That was BBC Four.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I watch the first one last year and it was poo poo so I am avoiding it this year too.

The problem that c4 etc have is trying to copy a format without working out what makes it funny. The Daily Show start off as a light entertainment show poking fun at celebs. It has slowly grown into what it is now. When we do something similar, it's just someone like Mark Thomas getting angry for 30 minutes and that gets tiresome very quickly. Then there is how these shows are written doesn't help. Our people need time to get the creative juices running but in yanky land the show is written on the day. Final we do satire differently with shows like B,B&F or The Thick of It.

Just get back the people who did Drop the Dead Donkey, job done.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I finally got to see the new Being Human, I thought it did a pretty good job of finishing the story of George and Nina while introducing a new storyline that has the potential to be very interesting. The vampires were brilliantly dickish as well.

le chat
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Sion posted:

Hahahhahah good times.

It's not like the daily show isn't shite as well

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

le chat posted:

It's not like the daily show isn't shite as well

Once they make it the John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac show I'll be happy

Morose Man
Jul 8, 2011
Panorama can be a bit hit and miss but the latest episode is truly outstanding. It's on cyber-bullying and has some quite fascinating footage with victims and abusers.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01c00y3/Panorama_Hunting_the_Internet_Bullies/

The only slightly annoying thing for me was the reporter's insistence that anonymity causes bullying. It can shelter bullies but it can also shelter people from bullying. It always seems unprofessional to me when investigative journalists start telling you the solution rather than focusing on telling the story.

In any event it's an outstanding and fascinating documentary well worth a look.

Testro
May 2, 2009

Z-Magic posted:

That was the Late Edition - I used to quite enjoy that, but then I was at uni and any tv was a welcome relief from essaying...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

notaspy posted:

Once they make it the John Oliver and Wyatt Cenac show I'll be happy

I want them to make The Bugle: Televisual Newspaper for a Visual World.