Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

KARMA! posted:

Lorry driver shouldn't use the second lane to turn. :argh:

Almost every single truck I've seen, in the US at least, has a huge warning on the back that they take wide right turns. As far as I'm concerned, it's the Prius driver who's at fault. The truck was signalling and everything. My gut says that if the Prius driver was going to fast to stop before hitting the truck, he was probably going too fast to make the turn safely, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A sign does not absolve responsibility.

That thing wasn't even that big of a truck, he could have taken the turn from the outside lane or at the very least waited until the lane next to him was clear or did it slowly to make sure cars next to him had time to stop or get by.

The truck driver is at fault.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Not a chance the truck driver is at fault.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How so? He turned right from the inside lane and that was only about a 20ish' truck which should have had no problem from the outside lane.

Of course the car should have yielded when he saw it turning in front of him but I can't see the truck not having some fault in it, if not 100%.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Even a truck that size wouldn't be able to make the turn staying between the lines without going way up over the curb.

The car wasn't paying attention and then when they saw the truck was turning they tried to speed up?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

No, you are all wrong. Don't you see the cars at the beginning of the video going straight from the lane the Prius was in while other cars were turning left from the lane the truck was in. He/she/it in the Prius wasn't turning but just going through the intersection and the truck driver was completely at fault for making an illegal turn through another lane that had a green light to continue travelling straight.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

schreibs posted:

No, you are all wrong. Don't you see the cars at the beginning of the video going straight from the lane the Prius was in while other cars were turning left from the lane the truck was in. He/she/it in the Prius wasn't turning but just going through the intersection and the truck driver was completely at fault for making an illegal turn through another lane that had a green light to continue travelling straight.

I don't think you ever get a clear look at how the lanes are divided. It looks a lot to me like the truck swung a little wide, but it wasn't making a right turn from the left turn lane. There's hardly any room between the truck and the sidewalk; the only reason the Prius even fits is because they're tiny. What you think is a "lane" looks to me like a shoulder. By the time the Prius is even with the middle of the truck, it's passenger side wheel is almost on the curb.

The first frame you see the truck in, it's got it's blinker on, and the prius is just swinging around to pass on the right. The Prius also seems to accelerate; it certainly doesn't brake once it becomes obvious that the truck is turning. That's the whole reason the prius ends up in FRONT of the truck. I don't know what the traffic laws are, but I'm pretty sure the laws of physics say that a prius can stop faster than a truck that size.

Sorry, this looks like a dickish driver who's tired of being behind a truck that's driving slowly, so he tries to make an illegal pass, ignoring the blinkers of the truck.

Regardless of who you may think is in the right, this is also a perfect example of the "rule of gross tonnage." If that was a motorcycle, not a car, do you think the now crippled rider would be satisfied, in their hospital bed, that they had the right of way?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Pagan posted:

Regardless of who you may think is in the right, this is also a perfect example of the "rule of gross tonnage."

AKA "the right of weigh".

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
:colbert:Really bikeExif, another cafe'd SR400OOooooooh

Just turned up on the BE facebook, not actually on the site yet.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^It's up on Pipeburn.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Check out Difazio hub steering.

also,
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/02/01/hub-center-steering-kit-from-isr-of-sweden/

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Also bimota testi 3D and HyperPRO/Troll TRX 850.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

:colbert:Really bikeExif, another cafe'd SR400OOooooooh

Just turned up on the BE facebook, not actually on the site yet.

How do people not melt their legs with exhausts like that??

Also, that causes no small amount of stirring in my loins

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

KARMA! posted:

Lorry driver shouldn't use the second lane to turn. :argh:

Every truck I've ever seen uses the second lane to turn, and it's pretty much taught in driver classes here that you give way to frickin' trucks with lasers on their heads! even if they're in the wrong.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Scrapez posted:

Not a chance the truck driver is at fault.

My co worker, who used to drive a semi, says if the prius was in was a dedicated turning lane then the truck driver would most likely be at fault. Anything else and it's the prius driver's fault. I asked what about that small turning radius, he said you would veer out left a bit then make the turn right.

Hard to say with limited footage and area info because it looks like the prius is going straight so then he's at fault.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Here4DaGangBang posted:

AKA "the right of weigh".

I think Kurt Russel put it best in Captain Ron when he said, "They'll get out of our way, boss! Learned that driving the Saratoga."

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The last one struck me as odd as hell, now we have to remember while we are renewing our registration? In California? NVR4GET indeed.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

slidebite posted:

A sign does not absolve responsibility.

I can't talk for anywhere else, but in Australia there's big red and yellow sings with "DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE" that absolutely does absolve them of responsibility if someone tried to overtake while they're turning.

Also if you look at the silver car behind the truck it's happily following the exact same line as the truck around the corner which makes me think that where the Prius was overtaking was either a shoulder or a "must turn right" lane. And you can see the curb on the other side of the lights when he turns his head to the right and they line up with the second white line in front of him which would have put the Prius over the curb on the sidewalk while it was overtaking.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 9, 2012

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Pick the guy with the motoX experience.

(Also, god-drat how does he sit with nads that big?)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

Pick the guy with the motoX experience.

(Also, god-drat how does he sit with nads that big?)

I think he carries around a doughnut like those dudes that break their rear end. ;)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 9, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BlackMK4 posted:

Lookit dis big fattie

BlackMK4 posted:

There's a Trophy truck somewhere missing a shock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Its good to see that the kid from "Little People Big World" got work after the show ended.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Rudager posted:

I can't talk for anywhere else, but in Australia there's big red and yellow sings with "DO NOT OVERTAKE TURNING VEHICLE" that absolutely does absolve them of responsibility if someone tried to overtake while they're turning.

I was ready to drop this but since you brought it up... :)

They still have to legally do the turn and take caution though. A sign is not carte blanche to plow ahead doing whatever whenever.

It's a 4 lane road as you can see from the traffic flow earlier in the video. In fact, I would say there is potential that truck was in a left turning lane based on flow, but lets forget about that.

He can take it wide in a large vehicle, but he cannot initiate it from an improper lane. He also has to ensure the lane is clear before initiating the turn. He has to follow the rules of the road like anyone else. The prius was either already next to him or imminently close.

This is the proper way to do a turn in a tractor:

quote:

I asked what about that small turning radius, he said you would veer out left a bit then make the turn right.

I tried to Google traffic laws but didn't have much luck. If anyone can find anything that supports otherwise I would certainly be willing to admit I'm incorrect.

Only thing I found supporting turning right from the inside lane is for a very oversized vehicle. As in, flashing ambers oversize.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

slidebite posted:

He can take it wide in a large vehicle, but he cannot initiate it from an improper lane. He also has to ensure the lane is clear before initiating the turn. He has to follow the rules of the road like anyone else. The prius was either already next to him or imminently close.

But that's only because it was very clearly booting it up the inside of the truck to get past.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The truck clearly had his turn signal on and had slowed. Maybe I'm just more used to dealing with semis and large trucks since they're everywhere here but I see that every day and you give them a wide berth, laws be damned.

Not to mention that the truck was basically straddling the two lanes. He wasn't fully in the outside lane. As someone mentioned, the only reason it looks like he was is because the Prius is tiny and can fit into half a lane that was available.

The Prius was either not paying attention and then when he saw the imminent crash, sped up, or he was a dick trying to speed around the truck and didn't make it. Most likely the latter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Clearly? There wasn't enough video to tell and it's all conjecture. I don't even think he was going that fast. The truck was slowing for the turn so of course the car was going fast compared to him. Who knows.

Even so, that's beside the point. The truck turned from the inside lane lane.

I'm sorry for continuing with the derail :(

edit:

quote:

but I see that every day and you give them a wide berth, laws be damned.
Agreed. Of course he should have. But considering there is literally only 2 and a bit seconds of video prior to actual contact and the Prius is already beside him when it cuts to view at 24 sec, we have no idea what happened before or how long he had his signal light on.

All this hypothesizing is getting silly, me included.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 9, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum: Traffic law argument zone

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Prius driver was driving like a twit and had it coming. Don't need no traffic laws to tell me that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Worst lean ever.

(but best pic series)

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Worst lean ever.

(but best pic series)

Actually an incredibly common riding style in the mid 1970ies.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Ola posted:

Worst lean ever.

(but best pic series)

You'll love the t-shirt guy in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKu5KpEm6s

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I like the guy with the bike covered in shag carpet

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ziploc posted:

You'll love the t-shirt guy in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHKu5KpEm6s

First guy in the video is really fast.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
And the idiot in the tshirt behind him has terrible form probably because he's wearing no gear and would grate his entire knee off if he put it down

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
And yet he's always right behind him. That's gotta be annoying as hell.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
Finally picked up the new bike and just got home.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

raffie posted:

Finally picked up the new bike and just got home.

Beautiful! Love the colour.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I love it but they need to splatter their logo more visibly around it with more gaudy colors like the old days

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Ooofta, thats quite the ride. Can I get a sexy shot of the tailpipes?