Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
About to go on the test ride. here's hoping nothing blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Don't die, sir. // How did it go?

Leaving for Santa Cruz tomorrow or the next day. Can't wait to ride, but it's extremely difficult leaving 78 and sunny for high 60's low 30's and rain. :(

...and just arrived. It's actually quite nice out. Now to order a valve cover gasket for my Volvo since it's spilling oil everywhere. Probably cracked when my friend put the new one on after he re-torqued the headbolts to fix a coolant leak while I was out and about doing things with my family. It never ends. :gonk:

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 6, 2012

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
TUONO

MIRRORS

OWN

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat, those are nice! Would those latch on decently to GSXR clipons? I'm looking to replace my handlebar mirrors with something a bit safer/more visible.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

TUONO

MIRRORS

OWN

That's beautiful.

Where did you order the mirrors from? And what windscreen is that?

My SV came with a Givi A700 and I think the relatively large windscreen looks funny on a naked bike. How do you like your windscreen at highway speeds?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

They thread into the stock mirror mounts on the naked 650, no idea how it'd work on anything else.

I ordered the mirrors from touringsportbmw.com. 58ish shipped for the pair.

Windscreen is the stock one from 05+ naked SV's (mine is an 07 SV650A.) It doesn't really seem to do anything wind wise but I've never ridden the bike without it so I don't know one way or the other.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Anyone have a rear brake rotor?

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Now that my K5 SV650 is in the hands of my best friend across the country, and I'm looking forward to selling my Ninja this spring, I have an odd lust for another SV650. Goddammit what is wrong with me, I thought I wanted a bigger bike.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Xovaan posted:

I'm looking to remount my HID kit because I like the brightness a LOT better than the stock light, but with a better assembly than was previously being used to support it. Just have to figure out the best way to clamp everything together. Anybody have any good bracket ideas? I want it to kind of look like this:

Is that really how short they are? Now I really want to try cramming a set in my Speed Triple housings. Do you know what those HIDs came out of?

the walkin dude posted:

Now that my K5 SV650 is in the hands of my best friend across the country, and I'm looking forward to selling my Ninja this spring, I have an odd lust for another SV650. Goddammit what is wrong with me, I thought I wanted a bigger bike.

SV1000?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It depends on the HID kit but yeah they're relatively tiny. The ones I'm about to put on my bike (Z3n's old body kit/HID combo) are a lot bigger than that.

edit: Just ordered a fiberglass cloth/resin kit to attempt to bind the headlights properly into the fairing. Hope this works. :o

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 23, 2012

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Has anyone rolled on Continental Conti Motion ST tires yet? They're much cheaper than any other ST tires and are getting apparently good reviews. Thoughts?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/24836/ITEM/Continental-Conti-Motion-Sport-Touring-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

invision
Mar 2, 2009

HammerOfHope posted:

Has anyone rolled on Continental Conti Motion ST tires yet? They're much cheaper than any other ST tires and are getting apparently good reviews. Thoughts?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/24836/ITEM/Continental-Conti-Motion-Sport-Touring-Radial-Rear-Tire.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Havn't tried those. I'm running Pilot Power 2ct's right now, and absolutely love them, fwiw.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
2CT's aren't really sport touring though. Maybe Road 2/3's but 2CT's are fairly sport oriented.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I've been saving up my money to pay for the 15k service interval. However, now that I have this little nest egg I am thinking that I should buy all the required tools and start doing all of my own maintenance. I haven't done any of my own work on my SV beyond the basics. But would love an excuse to get more tools and would like to know how this machine I love works inside and out.

Does anyone have an idea of what kind of investment this would be? Would I be biting off more than I can chew?

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

It's really not fun but you don't need very many tools beyond what you have in the included tool kit, just a few more hex wrenches. Anything you save in $ will be spent in blood, however. (this was just my experience, I'll pay someone else to do it in the future and I do most of the other maintenance myself)

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
The enjoyment factor is hit or miss. I fear how little my time is worth if calculated out to how long I've spent working on my bikes, but I couldn't care less because I love doing it so much.

You probably wouldn't spend more than a couple hundred on basic tools (this is assuming you have nothing now and would like to buy enough to get you started and do all common work) and I'm going to guess that that's less than one major service interval done at a shop. Pick up a Haynes or Clymers, and as long as you know how to spin a wrench, you'll be good to go.

I think it also provides peace of mind knowing that you did the critical work to your bike, and that you did it right. Shop mechanics are under time crunches and may be prone to making mistakes or doing a job less accurately, albeit faster, than you.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

What tires you guys all running? I had to change out my SV's shoes today and ended up with a 160/60 Conti Motion rear and a 120/70 Conti Attack front. The 120/70 feels a little better to me than the previous 120/60 Diablo Strada that came with the bike, but I think I'll have to go to the track to really test it out. In theory the 120/70 provides more contact patch at the front at any given lean angle and stabilizes things a bit, at the slight cost of initial turn-in speed. In a practical sense, 120/70 is the industry standard now and thus more available, and it works fine with the stock fender (even with the fenda extenda).

For track stuff, my local race shop dudes recommended the BT-003 for an SV.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm running Avon Storm ST's that came with my naked SV. They're the best tires I've encountered, and stops/handles great in rainy conditions.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
I haven't run through all that many tires since I started riding, but I've ridden the stock SV tires, pilot powers and Dunlop Q2s.

Q2s are loving awesome tires, and pretty cheap to boot. I'm not even interested in running anything else at the moment. I ran through a few sets of them over nearly 2 years on the SV before I sold it, and they are awesome on the street and on the track. Warm up super fast, grip like superglue and all round rock.

I have a buddy who is a track instructor and all around fast guy on a bike and he runs them as well for the same reason - great grip and cheap. When I think about it, most dudes I ride with use them too.

The only downside I can think of is that they don't last all that long but on a SV650 its not as much of an issue as a more powerful/heavier bike.

the walkin dude posted:

Tuono. You know you want it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm running Michelin Pilot Road 3's. I don't really have anything to compare them to (first bike / tires) but I have not crashed yet in neither rain nor shine so I'm gonna say that they're pretty sweet. I think Z3n runs PR2's and he likes them so I can only assume the PR3's are better (in the rain, I believe)

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

AncientTV posted:

You probably wouldn't spend more than a couple hundred on basic tools (this is assuming you have nothing now and would like to buy enough to get you started and do all common work) and I'm going to guess that that's less than one major service interval done at a shop. Pick up a Haynes or Clymers, and as long as you know how to spin a wrench, you'll be good to go.

What basic and specialized tools would I need? I've built bicycles from scratch and work part time in a fabrication shop for the entertainment industry so I have an aptitude for working with my hands. However, I've never given anything with an engine a shot so I don't know what is needed.

As for the tire conversation, I am running Roadsmarts and have gotten a lot of mileage out of them so far. I feel confident with them in the corners and in wet weather.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

ant mouth posted:

What basic and specialized tools would I need? I've built bicycles from scratch

Not much. An impact screwdriver and a workshop manual.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Sir Cornelius posted:

Not much. An impact screwdriver and a workshop manual.

This, maybe some feeler gauges if you're going to do valve clearance checks. As for basics, just get a big set like this:
http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/sto...LAID=1023905927

Harbor Freight them if you're feeling frugal, but those things are pretty much all you'd need.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

What tires you guys all running?

Non-bald ones. :v:

When I got my motorbike, the back was completely bald and kept sliding out until I changed it six or so months later. Currently using Pirelli City Demons on my 250cc bike.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm running Pilot Road 2's and they are real nice. Very predictable in the wet and cold.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really want to do this and I know it's a terrible idea and that little voice in the back of my head is saying, "Xovaan, don't do that. It is a stupid idea and people will hate you" but god damnit I don't care

edit: either ride around like a women's prada handbag or dazzle camo

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Feb 6, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xovaan posted:

I really want to do this and I know it's a terrible idea and that little voice in the back of my head is saying, "Xovaan, don't do that. It is a stupid idea and people will hate you" but god damnit I don't care

edit: either ride around like a women's prada handbag or dazzle camo

Why does it have wings?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's part of the body kit. I think it's to capture more air for the radiator? :iiam:

Gonna try to mock up some dazzle camo for the bike later this evening.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007
I was initially repulsed by the image, but the term dazzle camo sounds mighty intriguing. Post the results!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=i...39l1015l2.7l9l0

This is dazzle camo. It's basically somewhere between "the poo poo" and "the best" but where that exactly lies is hard to pinpoint :rimshot:

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Oh god an R6 or R1 with all those sharp lines with that sort of scheme would be killer. The new CBR's with their "sharktooth" fairing would work well too.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Dazzle is loving awesome and I still hate Z3n a little bit for painting his track bike in gulf livery. But only a little bit because gulf livery is awesome too.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Decals came in. I saw Big Bird and knew exactly what quote he needed.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So my girl passed the MSF course last weekend and we've boiled it down to two bikes. An 04 650N and an 2006 S and both are on CL for 3k OBO.

quote:

For sale is a 2004 SV650N (K4) with 27,167 miles. This bike is in excellent condition, it has never been tracked, crashed or dropped. I've primarily used this bike to commute on, the 27k miles are 95% highway miles. The bike is mostly stock, the only modifications are bar end mirrors , Yoshimura slip-on, an RK chain and a Hotbodies undertail kit. Oil and oil filters have been regularly changed. A valve adjustment was recently done.

Included with the bike are a Fieldsheer Eiffel 2 tank bag, Cortech Sport tailbag, spare (new) Yuasa battery, Pitbull rear stand and a Haynes hardcover manual.

Please note that the miles may go up as I will continue to ride the bike.

$3000 OBO. I am open to trades for a KTM woods/dirt bike, 250 or 300 two-stroke.

The title is clear.

Or the S:

quote:

6802 miles
Car pulled in front of me, had to lay the bike down. Clear title.
Upper fairing took most of the damage, left turn signal broken, right signal and mirrors scuffed, small scuff on front fender and scuff on grab handle. no other body damage.
No frame, engine, tank, or tail fairing damage.
Rash on yoshi muffler, I cut in half and it looks and sounds alot better.
Runs and rides perfect, fuel injected. 50mpg
I bought this bike with 400 miles on it and have changed the oil and filter three times.
This bike would make a perfect streetfighter which i had planned to do but have decided to sell as is.
Taking into account the parts needed to return to stock in the price.
$3000, will accept reasonable offers.

The low miles looks appealing, but the fact that it has scratches on *both* sides of the front fairing makes me think it's been down more than once and could potentially lead to more problems than it's worth. We're leaning towards the N simply because it hasn't been down and the guy seems to have really cared for the bike. Also it comes with extra goodies.

I'm super excited that she wants an SV, but I'm kind of jealous because originally it was what I was looking for for my first bike and I ended up with the F2.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'd go for the N too. It's been well-used and seemingly in good hands.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I would also look at the N, plus the S still needs a bit of TLC to get it up and running.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
N = more comfortable = you will enjoy it more. Save clip-ons for supersports.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
#1 is a goon. If he was bitching to me earlier about you I'm gonna laugh and laugh and laugh.

But I'd say buy #1. Because the N is a better model for street use and he took care of it so it should have no problems going the distance.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Well poo poo, it sure is a small world. #1 is/was my bike. Z3n literally texted me as Quite A Tool was driving away with on it.

Quite A Tool, if you have an questions you now know where to find me.

Edit: Z3n, I was bitching about some punk kid. Quite A Tool was a stand-up guy from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I figured as much :)

Also holding myself back from making a tool joke.

• Locked thread