Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Dukket posted:

I'm hoping for a dry cider that isn't quite as tart as what I have. Also, I don't like how many ciders taste like apple juice - many, though not all of the Crispens have this problem.

I did not use nutrient, I'll keep that in mind for next time.

But at this point my real question is:
I don't know that it will get less tart over time...that seems like a sugar content issue. I also have a dry cider which is about 2 months in the fermenter which tastes like a tart apple champagne. Its my intention to add Campden and potassium sorbate when the flavor gets clean enough so I can back sweeten without the sugar or honey or whatever I choose fermenting out.

As for oxidation, if you are really worried, add like, 1/3 a cup of sugar. According to Papizian, yeast don't use all the O2 in their reproductive phase and most is actually stripped out of the solution by the off gassing of CO2 that occurs during the fermentation cycle. Using 1/3 should produce more then enough CO2 (it's the amount recommended for naturally carbing a corny keg) without having a noticeable effect on flavor or alcohol content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What styles are good for aging? Two of my best friends are getting married in June and another friend and I would like to team up to create something they can have every anniversary. I was thinking a Belgian or porter. We have about 4 brew batches under our combined belts.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

icehewk posted:

What styles are good for aging? Two of my best friends are getting married in June and another friend and I would like to team up to create something they can have every anniversary. I was thinking a Belgian or porter. We have about 4 brew batches under our combined belts.

Generally anything that's pretty strong (like 8%+) and doesn't rely on fresh hop character. So barleywine, imperial stout, Belgian quad, doppelbock... stuff like that.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

zedprime posted:

You need the pH buffering from malt to extract a lot of the nicer things from hops, hence the required early addition. Even extracts have break material that require the high temperature and mechanical stimulation from boiling, hence the late addition.

Hot break is pretty well agreed upon as needing to go. If you're skeptical about the hops, just try some hop tea and start wondering how anything good ever comes out of hops.

See, that's the thing - I've made hop tea twice to add bittering/hop flavor to batches that were lacking. Both times I just used plain water to make the tea and it worked just dandy.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Looking around, making an immersion chiller seems like the way to go. Are there any accepted plans? I don't want to waste water, so would recirculating in to a 5 gallon bucket full of salty icewater stay cold enough?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

For those of you who want to pick up a 2L erlenmeyer flask for making yeast starters, this one seems to be the best price around at $14 with prime shipping from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QDP82Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product It just came back into stock and I don't actually own one so I can't speak to the quality, but the price seems right.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

For those of you who want to pick up a 2L erlenmeyer flask for making yeast starters, this one seems to be the best price around at $14 with prime shipping from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005QDP82Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product It just came back into stock and I don't actually own one so I can't speak to the quality, but the price seems right.
Most Ehrlenmeyer flasks are built to laboratory specs, so it should be the same as any other borosilicate flask of the same type.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I broke one Erlenmeyer flask recently by spritzing the neck with Star San shortly after boiling, so I could use a new one.

beetlo
Mar 20, 2005

Proud forums lurker!
Just pulled a hydrometer sample of my Marzen (double decoction even). 1.013 final gravity from 1.056 OG. Perfect. 5.7% ABV. Also... it already tastes pretty good. One month left of secondary/lagering before bottling!

Clearing quite nicely.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I didn't know those White Labs tubes could blow up like soda cans.

Like 1/5 of the yeast flew out of the tube right as I opened it. I suppose since I'm making a starter on a stir plate it's okay, right?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Angry Grimace posted:

I didn't know those White Labs tubes could blow up like soda cans.

Like 1/5 of the yeast flew out of the tube right as I opened it. I suppose since I'm making a starter on a stir plate it's okay, right?

Should be fine. The yeast in them is active so they carbonate the tube.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I've got some leftover grains from my breakfast stout clone, looking for a suggestion on what to brew with them. I have 7oz chocolate malt, 8.5oz roast barley, 10.5oz debittered black malt, 11.5oz crystal 120. I can pick up some more 2 row. I'm looking for a 3 gallon batch. Any ideas?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
So I'm going to enter a local homebrew competition and have to brew six beers for it. The only thing I'm having trouble with is their "Platnum" catagory:

quote:

Aroma: None to medium low malt aroma. Hop aroma may range from none to light, spicy or floral presence. Fruit aroma acceptable but not necessary
Appearance: Very pale straw to pale gold in color. Brilliant to very clear (SRM 2-5)
Flavor: Moderate maltiness, with slightly grainy, corn like sweetness.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light body from use of adjuncts such as rice and/or corn. High carbonation levels, effervescent like champagne.

Additional comments: Beer for the sheeple. Are you in the club? Looking for that light thirst quenching, pseudo-luxury brew to crack open with your bros? You know what macro we're taking aim at with this category. Champagne yeast is a requirement. As is an ABV in the range of 5.5-7%. Use any adjuncts you like (we know they take the same liberties) Entrants will be judged based on submitted base beer style (Light lager, Pilsner, or light hybrid beer) Make a beer worthy of such a ballsy title.

This seems really WTF to me. They are doing a homebrew contest but want us to clone Bud Platnum?
I don't have a fridge for lagering, so I guess I could do a gallon and ferment them in some growlers in the regular fridge, but I just have zero idea on where to start because of the whole champagne yeast requirement...the only time I've used champagne yeast is for my cider which has a rather distinct champagne taste.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Daedalus Esquire posted:

So I'm going to enter a local homebrew competition and have to brew six beers for it. The only thing I'm having trouble with is their "Platnum" catagory:

This seems really WTF to me. They are doing a homebrew contest but want us to clone Bud Platnum?
I don't have a fridge for lagering, so I guess I could do a gallon and ferment them in some growlers in the regular fridge, but I just have zero idea on where to start because of the whole champagne yeast requirement...the only time I've used champagne yeast is for my cider which has a rather distinct champagne taste.

If I didn't know any better, I would have guessed that was a sort of tongue-in-cheek joke category. If it's real, that's pretty dumb - especially because they seriously used the word "sheeple."

I don't think fermenting in a real fridge is going to work, typical lager fermentations are in the low 50's and most fridges are around 35-38*. The champagne yeast part is just saying that you should be priming with champagne yeast which gives it a sort of super bubbly, crisp carbonation.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Oh, it's real. Unfortunately.
I'd just do the other five categories but you get a bonus for doing all 6 and the fee is $10 regardless of the number of categories. And that's a good idea of just using champagne to prime, makes me way less confused on how to proceed.
Since the contest isn't until June and the winter has been really mild, maybe I can lager in the garage during March and April. I won't really have the control but it should stay in the mid-40 to 50 range.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

internet celebrity posted:

I've got some leftover grains from my breakfast stout clone, looking for a suggestion on what to brew with them. I have 7oz chocolate malt, 8.5oz roast barley, 10.5oz debittered black malt, 11.5oz crystal 120. I can pick up some more 2 row. I'm looking for a 3 gallon batch. Any ideas?

You've got all the same grains as this. You might as well brew it. I have a carboy of it that I'm going to rack into a keg this weekend. It smells and tastes wonderful.

http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/article/issues/258-januaryfebruary-2009/1911-founders-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Cointelprofessional posted:

You've got all the same grains as this. You might as well brew it. I have a carboy of it that I'm going to rack into a keg this weekend. It smells and tastes wonderful.

http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/article/issues/258-januaryfebruary-2009/1911-founders-brewings-breakfast-stout-clone

I have all those grains because I made it last weekend :)

Is there some way I could get a roasty black IPA with these grains? I noticed most of the recipes have Carafa III and crystal 60, can I sub in something I have here?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I won't really have the control but it should stay in the mid-40 to 50 range.

Just use US-05 and run it at like 62-64*, it'll be plenty clean. Do a cream ale and lightly hop it with something noble to like 12IBU with a minimal or nonexistent late addition and prime with champagne yeast. Trying to do a lager without proper temp control is iffy at best, you'll generally get bette results with a clean ale yeast.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

internet celebrity posted:

I have all those grains because I made it last weekend :)

Is there some way I could get a roasty black IPA with these grains? I noticed most of the recipes have Carafa III and crystal 60, can I sub in something I have here?

I did a Blackish IPAish beer with 60L and Black Barley, and it was pretty good. IMO you need some Crystal to give it a slightly malty/Caramel middle flavor, but you could use the 120L for that since you don't care how dark it is. Just find your favorite IPA, find out what hops it uses, load up on those till you get the right IBU, and save some for late additions, and you'll have a beer!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

So I'm in need of a bit of troubleshooting advice.

My two most recent IPAs have been hosed up and undrinkable.

I brew with two friends of mine in 10g batches and tend to do things together. The first one was left dry-hopped for too long (almost a month) because of scheduling conflicts and ended up with a funky taste. We attributed it to that issue and moved on.

The second one was a little thin in mouthfeel, but was fine in general. When we bottled another beer the other day, it was brought to my attention that one of my buddy's entire batch tasted the same as the first. Mine were all fine. That is, until I got home and opened my next to last one, and it tasted identical.

What should I look for as a sign of oxidation? I thought it was odd that mine all tasted fine, albeit thin, when fresh--but only later tasted awful. I've looked at off-flavor guides, and haven't found anything describing exactly what I tasted.

Also, I should note that we have not had this taste AT ALL with any of our maltier beers--which since then have been two browns, a red and a barleywine.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
I'm working on a mega fruity, citrus, piney double IPA recipe for this spring/summer. Anyone with experience with the style please feel free to chime in and critique it. Here's the first revision of the recipe (10 gallon, all grain w/ yeast starter):

code:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        % / IBU         
9 lbs                 Pale Malt, Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett)  Grain         2        32.7 %        
9 lbs                 Pale Malt, Golden Promise (Thomas Fawcet Grain         1        32.7 %        
1 lbs                 Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         4        3.6 %         
5 lbs                 Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        18.2 %        
8.0 oz                Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)               Grain         5        1.8 %       
3 lbs                 Honey (1.0 SRM)                          Sugar         6        10.9 %  
1.0 pkg               California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast         18       -            
4.00 oz               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min     Hop           7        58.0 IBUs            
1.00 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min          Hop           10       8.6 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           11       9.4 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           9        4.0 IBUs      
1.00 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min   Hop           8        6.1 IBUs      
1.00 Items            Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 mins)          Other         12       -             
2.00 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)              Fining        13       -             
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min    Hop           14       1.2 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           15       0.8 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min           Hop           16       1.7 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           17       1.9 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop           19       0.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           20       0.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days       Hop           21       0.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days      Hop           22       0.0 IBUs  

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

LeeMajors posted:

Also, I should note that we have not had this taste AT ALL with any of our maltier beers--which since then have been two browns, a red and a barleywine.

So what is the difference in the recipes? Different base grains? Different mash process? Were the IPAs brewed after the other beers, or were they interleaved? Are there any of the maltier beers left?

An off-flavor coming in after some time has passed could be oxidation. As we just discussed, oxidation in the packaging process can take a while to show up and is miles worse than hot-side aeration. Check for leaky hoses that could entrain air, aggressive handling or turbulence during the packaging process, etc.

Could also be infection, though. Check for gunk and crevices in any equipment that touches the beer after the boil. Make sure your bottles and caps get a good sanitation before you package the next batch. Look for films and rings in any remaining bottles of unconsumed beer.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jo3sh posted:

So what is the difference in the recipes? Different base grains? Different mash process? Were the IPAs brewed after the other beers, or were they interleaved? Are there any of the maltier beers left?

An off-flavor coming in after some time has passed could be oxidation. As we just discussed, oxidation in the packaging process can take a while to show up and is miles worse than hot-side aeration. Check for leaky hoses that could entrain air, aggressive handling or turbulence during the packaging process, etc.

Could also be infection, though. Check for gunk and crevices in any equipment that touches the beer after the boil. Make sure your bottles and caps get a good sanitation before you package the next batch. Look for films and rings in any remaining bottles of unconsumed beer.

Big differences in malts along the way...even between the IPAs. The IPAs were sequential, but we've brewed a few since. There were no real differences other than switching to a hybrid sparge technique after the second IPA, but I'm not sure how that would affect the beer pre boil. That's what was so concerning to me--that two similar SRM and gravity beers with very different hop and grain profiles turned out exactly the same. The first happened immediately, the second was after some time.

Furthermore, I would've expected a systematic oxidation or infection issue to have appeared in other beers. I'm pretty stumped. Might be doing a huge hose replacement and equipment sanitation/cleaning day soon.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

LeeMajors posted:

So I'm in need of a bit of troubleshooting advice.

My two most recent IPAs have been hosed up and undrinkable.

I brew with two friends of mine in 10g batches and tend to do things together. The first one was left dry-hopped for too long (almost a month) because of scheduling conflicts and ended up with a funky taste. We attributed it to that issue and moved on.

The second one was a little thin in mouthfeel, but was fine in general. When we bottled another beer the other day, it was brought to my attention that one of my buddy's entire batch tasted the same as the first. Mine were all fine. That is, until I got home and opened my next to last one, and it tasted identical.

What should I look for as a sign of oxidation? I thought it was odd that mine all tasted fine, albeit thin, when fresh--but only later tasted awful. I've looked at off-flavor guides, and haven't found anything describing exactly what I tasted.

Generally when you taste oxidation the hop flavors are really muted and it kind of tastes like wet cardboard or paper.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So tonight was another installment of Why New Belgium Owns

As a homebrew club project we've had 55 gallons of dubbel souring in an old La Folie barrel for 8 months, and today we pulled it out. It's a little harsh up front, but it's also warm and uncarbonated so I'm not going to really judge it yet. I may or may not decide to blend or age it on fruit or something but just the fact that we are able to do this project is why New Belgium's people rule, whatever you may think of their beer.

At the same time, we racked another 55 gallons of robust porter into a used Leopold Brothers whiskey barrel. I'm even more excited to taste the result of that one; the base beer was really frigging good and we are only leaving it like 6 months so that the base isn't totally lost.

They also let slip that they are considering a beer aged in absinthe barrels... :2bong:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I ordered this immersion chiller off of amazon, it just came this week and it was supposed to come with soldered fittings so it wouldn't leak. As you can see from the pic below, it looks like they used hot glue / some kind of sealant? When I tested it now, the input fitting sprayed water all over the place, and I was planning on using it tomorrow morning to brew.

I'm obviously going to return it and get one that is soldered, but is there a certain kind of sealant I can use to fix it before I return it? If nothing else there's the 60lbs of ice in the bath trick, but I'd rather use the chiller.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I wouldn't gently caress around with it much if you're planning to return it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, that's sorta ghetto...I mean, it's great that copper tubing sometimes fits into those, but they aren't even close to the right attachments. Copper tube into a male hose barb? :psyduck:

I agree, though: don't mess with it if you're going to return it.

However! If you insist, here's how I'd fix it (aside from just ripping off that hose barb and putting the proper fittings on there and/or soldering it myself:

Get a few inches of vinyl hose of the right size for that hose barb. Pull the copper tube out of the barb, slip the tubing onto the male barb, as well as a couple loose hose clamps, then put the copper tube back through the whole thing to where it was, and tighten the hose clamps down on each end.

Here's a crappy ascii art cross section:

code:
                                +----------+
           ==CC===========CC==  |
             CC     ,,,,,,CC,,,,+
-------------CC---------- CC
             CC           CC
-------------CC---------- CC
             CC     ''''''CC''''+
           ==CC===========CC==  |
                                +----------+

On the left is the copper tube coming in, on the right is the hose barb, CC is the band of the hose clamp.

Otherwise, if you want to get even more silly, just fill that poo poo in with super glue.

But still, don't do that, just get one from someone who knows how fittings and/or a torch work.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

It looks like there's enough open space on at least one of the fittings that solder won't fix it. Some nice filled epoxy might do it, but I agree with indigi - if you're just going to return it and buy a new one, don't gently caress with it unless you're sure you're going to fix it well enough that the returning part won't happen.

For my old copper chiller, I used compression fittings. They lasted a good six years or so with no leaks, and I sold the chiller to a friend where it will give years more of service.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Did it spray water from the part where the copper goes into the barb, or from the spot where the hose-screw-ring connects to the barb? I have a very similar hose connector on mine, and though it's connected fine, if the o-ring and metal hose ring aren't seated perfectly it will spray everywhere.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I received this response:

Sorry to hear that you're having a problem with the chiller. We've sold thousands of these chiller over the past year, and haven't heard of any issues with leaking. We use a liquid weld copper epoxy, which is supposedly as effective as soldered fittings. We don't advertise this chiller to have soldered fittings, but we do stand by our product.

Of course if you go to the page, they mention "soldered" multiple times, and how it won't leak because it's soldered. I'm just going to return it, ice cool tomorrow, and get it from learn to brew (who has it at the same price).

*edit*

It sprayed from where the epoxy is missing (you can see in the pic), so unfortunately tightening it won't help.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 9, 2012

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
In my homebrew group we're doing a cereal competition with random teams. The goal is to make a beer using a cereal in the mash. Does anyone have any good recipes for ones with Fruit Loops by chance?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

On a side note, yours is about $40 for 25' of 3/8" copper pipe. For $14, you can get 20' of the same from home depot. For $43, you can get 50' of the stuff. But let's just go with the 20', so that's a $14 baseline. Add in the cost of a torch (comes with a tank) for another $13 and we're up to $27, throw in a little spool of solder and some flux ($3.50 + $2) and you're looking at $32.50. That leaves you $6 for the two fittings you'll need, AND you get a soldered chiller, AND you now have a torch and soldering supplies, AND you learned to solder.

I don't think everyone should be making every bit of equipment from scratch, but it's definitely an option and it's not really a daunting project.

And like Jo3sh said, if you get the compression fittings, they'll work just as well, and you can then save money by not buying a torch and soldering gear, so you can spend all your money on copper instead and pay, say, $10 more for a 50' chiller instead.

Midorka posted:

In my homebrew group we're doing a cereal competition with random teams. The goal is to make a beer using a cereal in the mash. Does anyone have any good recipes for ones with Fruit Loops by chance?

I think most "candy" cereals like that are likely to have a lot of preservatives which might make getting anything useful out of them somewhat difficult, and what you do get out will probably not be things you want...

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 9, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I think the keys here are going to be high sugar, low fat, and no sorbates. Froot Loops will probably make the beer pink or something. Maybe Count Chocula or something? Or fuggit, just buy instant cream of rice or something and mash it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I feel like Cheerios would be a great, if uninspired, choice. The flavor (if any carried over into the final product) would go well with a stout, wit, bock, and probably brown.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Unfortunately the cereal drawing was random and we can't switch, I definitely know it's not a great choice. I don't think there's a specific amount we need to use, I think maybe 8 ounces at most.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Dry hop it :downs:

Which is actually not a bad idea, because you could easily take some on-hand beer and just give it a try to see what it does.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i think froot loops is puffed rice and sugar so good loving luck getting that flavour across in any sort of fermented beverage

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Oh, I see now - you're tied to the Loops. OK, now I am thinking hefeweizen, with a generous helping of Loops added after the main bit of the ferment dies down. It's already a cloudy beer, so the inevitable murk caused by adding starch won't hurt you; you might actually get a cute color from the dyes; the sugar will ferment off; and you have the best chance of getting any of the Froot flavor that way.

Bonus points if you sort the Loops to add only one color. Are there green Froot Loops? it's nearly St. Patrick's day.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Great idea Jo3sh, I'm going to look into that!

Edit: Here's the rules: