Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
It sounds like if I can somehow mix OM-D and Xpro-1 I could have the perfect camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

keyframe posted:

It sounds like if I can somehow mix OM-D and Xpro-1 I could have the perfect camera.

What about each do you particularly like?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

HPL posted:

What about each do you particularly like?
Maybe specs and price of OM-D but look and feel of X-Pro 1?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

alkanphel posted:

Maybe specs and price of OM-D but look and feel of X-Pro 1?

This except opposite.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Price and AF of OM-D, everything else XP1

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I actually have more love for old SLRs than old rangefinders, so I'd take the OM-D with the guts of the XP-1.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

HPL posted:

I actually have more love for old SLRs than old rangefinders, so I'd take the OM-D with the guts of the XP-1.

Yeah basically, this. OM-D with an APC-C sensor but the new AF and IS systems as well. I wouldn't even mind paying X-Pro price for something like that.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mightaswell posted:

Yeah basically, this. OM-D with an APC-C sensor but the new AF and IS systems as well. I wouldn't even mind paying X-Pro price for something like that.

Random thought: Sony could stuff the NEX guts into a Minolta X-700 or SRT-inspired body. Mind you, the NEX 7 is already pretty sweet.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

And Pentax could stuff the guts from a K-5 into an ME body and oh wait. :smith:

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Rated PG-34 posted:

It's supporting bad corporate governance.

I hope you don't drive a car powered by anything.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Instead they stuffed it into a Duplo brick and forgot the viewfinder.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Am I wrong for wanting to own a GF1 or GF2? I already own a GH1 and GH2 and I can't think of a single good reason why I should own one of those smaller cameras other than "yay pretty :neckbeard:"

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Mr. Despair posted:

How about the guts from a 5d classic into an A-1, or an MX, or an OM2 or an FM2, or a...

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I just want the guts from a Kodak Easyshare in an Eastman 2-D body.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Miso Beno posted:

Am I wrong for wanting to own a GF1 or GF2? I already own a GH1 and GH2 and I can't think of a single good reason why I should own one of those smaller cameras other than "yay pretty :neckbeard:"

The GF2 I am not sold on, but the GF1 is really nice and so cheap it is a crime not to buy one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

FasterThanLight posted:

I just want the guts from a Kodak Easyshare in an Eastman 2-D body.

Can do. I'll need $2000 and a few weeks. Hope you like toy supertelephoto lenses.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Clayton Bigsby posted:

The GF2 I am not sold on, but the GF1 is really nice and so cheap it is a crime not to buy one.

I'm only interested in the GF2 because its cute and I can find them for $325 with a 14mm.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Mightaswell posted:

Exactly.

I just can't justify the price they are asking for a xpro-1 right now no matter how hard I try :smith:

MAkev
Dec 15, 2003

Killed my sensei in a duel and I'll never say why.

Mightaswell posted:

How about the guts from a 5d classic into an A-1, or an MX, or an OM2 or an FM2, or a...

DSLR guts in an FM2 body is my dream camera

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Guts of the Hubble space telescope inside of a Leica M3 body plz.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Guts of the Hubble space telescope inside of a Leica M3 body plz.

That will be iPhone 6.

Joke aside I was playing with a friends iphone 4s and I am seriously impressed with the quality and speed of it's camera. My phone is like 5 years old so I had no idea they improved so much.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
More work from the designer of the K-01:

My first thought:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

More work from the designer of the K-01:

Is that a giant USB port on the front?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is that a giant USB port on the front?

It's the "on" button. See, it's retro because instead of going to the front of the car and turning a crank, you go to the front and press a button.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MAkev posted:

DSLR guts in an FM2 body is my dream camera

D700 sensor inside the FM2n, or Sony 24mp sensor inside the LX. I wonder if I will see it in the next 20 years?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

We will never see anything cool ever because everything sucks.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

ease posted:

I hope you don't drive a car powered by anything.

There were plenty of automakers that didn't get bailed out because they (the unions) weren't poo poo, but I don't see what this has to do with anything.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Rated PG-34 posted:

There were plenty of automakers that didn't get bailed out because they (the unions) weren't poo poo, but I don't see what this has to do with anything.
Oil. He's referring to oil.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Rated PG-34 posted:

lol, are you really trying to imply the problem was unions instead of horrendous management? Wow, just... wow.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

There is a thread available for bad posting but this one isn't it.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
There was new firmware for the x100 released yesterday: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/

It fixes a couple of crash bugs that I've never encountered.

quote:

1.Compatibility on Mac OS 10.7
When the camera is connected to Mac PC on Mac OS 10.7, the camera is effectively recognized. Additionally, compatibility on RAW FILE CONVERTER EX with Mac OS 10.7 has been confirmed.

2.When VIEW MODE is set to EYE SENSOR activated mode, the camera may be frozen after changing OVF/EVF at dedicated shooting condition. This unpleasant phenomenon is improved.

3.After shooting images at A mode, if mode dial sent to other mode and returned into A mode during data recording, shutter of the camera may not work properly. This unpleasant phenomenon is improved.

The x10 got a firmware update that allows the RAW button to be reprogrammed so hopefully the x100 will see some of that.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Was this posted already? Olympus demonstrating the weather sealing of the E-M5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhO9YDI8cHk

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

You know, while I was following all the leaks and poo poo before the OM-D was announced I wasn't excited for it, but now I really want it and will probably sell my E-P3. Not sure why either, they just seemed to have done everything right. I might even get the kit lens (12-50mm) even though I don't touch the current one. The real question is black or silver, since silver lenses look weird on a black body but I think the black body (+ black lenses) is overall more attractive.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Wow that is impressive. :stare:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
They'd need more than water protection if there was a Sony sensor in there. :gizz:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Why is the bucket clear and already full of water if they're not going to submerge the camera in it? They even put the camera precariously on the edge of the bucket at the end and totally fail to "accidentally" knock it in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I'm debating between a used NEX-5 or GF2(something under $400 basically), with either the 16mm or 14mm pancake respectively. On one hand the NEX would give me focus peaking for using older manual lenses, but the gf2 would let me mount my 300mm lens + 2x teleconverter from my pentax gear and get me ~1200mm of effective lens length if I did the math right.

I don't think I can really go wrong with either choice, but does anyone want to throw out some opinions between the two if you've used both or love/hate something about the other?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

I'm debating between a used NEX-5 or GF2(something under $400 basically), with either the 16mm or 14mm pancake respectively. On one hand the NEX would give me focus peaking for using older manual lenses, but the gf2 would let me mount my 300mm lens + 2x teleconverter from my pentax gear and get me ~1200mm of effective lens length if I did the math right.

I don't think I can really go wrong with either choice, but does anyone want to throw out some opinions between the two if you've used both or love/hate something about the other?

I see some used 5n thats pretty close to 400 (completed auctions), I would get either used NEX3 or 5n. NEX5 doesn't even have a bigger battery, you basically pay 100 more for a better grip.

As for GF2, yes its very cheap. Its your call.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Mr. Despair posted:

Old lenses will kind of suck with the m43 because of the 2x multiplier. Even a 28mm wide angle is going to be a telephoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Beastruction posted:

Why is the bucket clear and already full of water if they're not going to submerge the camera in it? They even put the camera precariously on the edge of the bucket at the end and totally fail to "accidentally" knock it in.

Hahaha I was totally expecting this too. Was really disappointed when he didn't drop it in the bucket. :v: