Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's funny because it's true. http://www.dailytech.com/Lockheeds+F22+Raptor+Gets+Zapped+by+International+Date+Line/article6225.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HeyEng posted:

The overall strategy of the United States Military is to not ever being anywhere near equal footing with an enemy. We do not like going into a conflict knowing that a potential loss is about to be had. We take the risks but usually a very heavy one-sided battle is the goal.

In abstract, a fine policy. But without some upper limit to how much force you need, it can turn into a ruinous waste of resources. The USSR could tell you about this.

iyaayas01 posted:

This has happened to some degree (the discussion around shifting our force posture to be able to fight one major theater war while deterring another adversary is an example of this) but I'm concerned that we're not really doing that, that at the core these cuts are the same ol' 33%/33%/33% everyone share the pain cut a few random underperforming programs here and there, instead of going about it smartly.

I can't find the quote but it's something like "When politicians instead of generals are making war decisions, victory is impossible." I the same thing could be said about procurement decisions.

But then I know from you guys that these decisions are being made by people *in* the military, so...

Anyway, images from Life:

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 6, 2012

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Those bow galleries on the FDR must have been a treat when the seas rose. I seem to recall reading that those carriers were wet anyway.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Supermarine Spitfire Mk. V

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat AI for us Canadians, Westjet has officially started the wheels in motion to start a new regional airline.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/02/08/biz-westjet-regional-airline.html

quote:

WestJet employees have voted overwhelmingly to endorse the company's plans to launch a regional subsidiary starting in 2013.

"There are not many organizations that would put such a strategic decision in front of the employees for their input and approval," said Antonio Faiola, a WestJet flight attendant that represents employees on the company's board of directors.

WestJet chief executive Gregg Saretsky said he's pleased that 91 per cent of non-union employees, known internally as WestJetters, voted in favour of the proposal. The proposal includes the purchase of up to 40 smaller turboprop aircraft.

"The opportunity presented to WestJetters has been very well received and I thank them for their input and consideration," said Saretsky.

WestJet says now that the plan has been endorsed by its employees, it will send request for proposals to two airplane manufacturers to make those smaller aircraft: Bombardier, which makes the Q400 currently in use by Porter Airlines, and ATR, which makes the ATR 72-600.

I fear for Westjets future as they get bigger and bigger, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about this.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Somewhat AI for us Canadians, Westjet has officially started the wheels in motion to start a new regional airline.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/02/08/biz-westjet-regional-airline.html

WestJet employees have voted overwhelmingly to endorse the company's plans to launch a regional subsidiary starting in 2013.

"There are not many organizations that would put such a strategic decision in front of the employees for their input and approval," said Antonio Faiola, a WestJet flight attendant that represents employees on the company's board of directors.

That's a dubious choice for the employees; AA and many of the US majors have had problems coming to labor agreements about plane size and who operates smaller routes. For example, a route like MIA-TPA might be better served for customers and the airline as five 90-seat E-175 flights than it would be for three 130-seat 737-600 flights, but the airline is usually limited in how many regional jets it can contract out to.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I fear for Westjets future as they get bigger and bigger, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy about this.

You mean, the future that was lost eight years ago? Seriously, Westjet is just Air Canada with blue tails these days.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The late model spits could nearly do that indefinitely. I swear they climbed like jets.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

:eng101: That's not a Mk.V - they had clipped wingtips. That particular Spitfire is a Mk.IX.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

You mean, the future that was lost eight years ago? Seriously, Westjet is just Air Canada with blue tails these days.
Can't speak to that, but from the outside looking in, their employees seem a lot happier and it's a much more enjoyable airline to fly on which is all I really care about.

As an aside, it might be a bit pessimistic of me, but I think all airlines in Canada and US are eventually destined for bankruptcy at some time. Westjet has just been able to put it off for longer because of better cost management (fleets are not a small part of it) and keeping the unions at bay. I think going down the road of expanding which will diversify the fleet will not be a good thing. Air Canada with its freshly negotiated contacts and cut but benefits can probably undercut Westjet in a lot of ways. I actually flew AC from Lethbridge to Ft. McMurray last year for $100. I would have a hard time driving for that.

That said, as an investment and the future of the company, I'd never buy stock in an airline.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

slidebite posted:

Can't speak to that, but from the outside looking in, their employees seem a lot happier and it's a much more enjoyable airline to fly on which is all I really care about.

As an aside, it might be a bit pessimistic of me, but I think all airlines in Canada and US are eventually destined for bankruptcy at some time. Westjet has just been able to put it off for longer because of better cost management (fleets are not a small part of it) and keeping the unions at bay. I think going down the road of expanding which will diversify the fleet will not be a good thing. Air Canada with its freshly negotiated contacts and cut but benefits can probably undercut Westjet in a lot of ways. I actually flew AC from Lethbridge to Ft. McMurray last year for $100. I would have a hard time driving for that.

That said, as an investment and the future of the company, I'd never buy stock in an airline.

Westjet is, if you can believe it, even shadier more anti-competitive than Air Canada has ever been - it's just that they get away with it because they publicly whitewash the company as being the plucky underdog westerner valiantly fighting DEM FRENCHIES AND EASTERN BUMS at Air Canada. Having been on the receiving end of some of Westjet's bullshit tactics, I have no interest in working for them or paying them as a passenger. Even beyond that, Westjet has basically reached the limit of where its current business model can take it, hence starting the regional carrier (Westprop?). As such, the company has gone from the growth phase, where people and pay would advance very quickly, to the mature phase, which brings an end to that, as well as all kinds of problems, both internally and externally.

Today, Westjet and Air Canada have largely the same cost structure for existing employees; where AC falls flat on its face is that it has billions of dollars of obligations to former employees and other legacy costs. Ironically, once (OK, if) Air Canada smooths out its labour relations and finally puts Jazz out to pasture (AC Express out of Toronto City Centre, which is operated by Skyservice, is the "camel's nose" for Jazz/Chorus Aviation, IMO), it should actually be in better financial standing than Westjet will be, as they operate a pile of relatively high-yield international routes. Starting an airline is expensive, and starting an airline that uses exclusively small aircraft, as Westjet wants to do, is even more expensive, as the cost per seat-mile of a small aircraft will always be higher than that of a larger aircraft. Even with hiring staff at near-starvation wages (which will happen), and diverting a chunk of the route network from mainline (which will also happen), their yields are still going to be pathetic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrChips posted:

:eng101: That's not a Mk.V - they had clipped wingtips. That particular Spitfire is a Mk.IX.

Here's one with a Griffon engine in it (Mark XVIII?):

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

MrChips posted:

Even with hiring staff at near-starvation wages (which will happen), and diverting a chunk of the route network from mainline (which will also happen), their yields are still going to be pathetic.

That is also what I foresee. They're going to be suffering the pains that all airlines before it have. I predict that by the end of the decade they'll be going through bankruptcy too (this is easy to do when nobody will remember me in 2020)!

For the time being though, I far prefer flying with them than the crap aircraft AC ends up sticking me with on the same route.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Phanatic posted:

Here's one with a Griffon engine in it (Mark XVIII?):

That color scheme... :swoon:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Going TDY to Korea, tried to get on Asiana out of SEA, SATO stuck me with United out of SFO. :negative: Need to see if I can get that changed. At least I no longer have a FOUR DAY layover in Seattle :wtc:.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

MrChips posted:

:eng101: That's not a Mk.V - they had clipped wingtips.
:eng101: Some did, some didn't. The Spitfire family tree is exceedingly complicated.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

iyaayas01 posted:

Going TDY to Korea, tried to get on Asiana out of SEA, SATO stuck me with United out of SFO. :negative: Need to see if I can get that changed. At least I no longer have a FOUR DAY layover in Seattle :wtc:.
Yeah, if you can, change it. From my own experience, I can't recommend Asiana enough, they really are a pleasure to fly with. The seats, entertainment and service in economy are all among the best I've seen so far. Food's decent, too, especially if you take the Korean offes.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

parrhesia posted:

Yeah, if you can, change it. From my own experience, I can't recommend Asiana enough, they really are a pleasure to fly with. The seats, entertainment and service in economy are all among the best I've seen so far. Food's decent, too, especially if you take the Korean offes.

It is the Air Force's mission to ensure that he suffers, they probably wanted to FedEx him over in a crate at first.

Check this out if you've got some free time. A paper from Jean-Claude Hironde the Rafale program manager on "design optimization for a family of multi role combat aircraft."

It's a pretty meh scanning job, but that just adds to the 80s-ness of the document.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Isn't that an Il-28? Was Life magazine just making up stuff or was our intel that spotty?

That 6-engined bomber is pretty sexy though...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PhotoKirk posted:

Isn't that an Il-28? Was Life magazine just making up stuff or was our intel that spotty?

That 6-engined bomber is pretty sexy though...

Yes. The article was from April 1953, so from a civilian standpoint, not too bad.

The Tu-95 is totally sexy. I'll trade 6 engines for 4 with counter-rotating props any day.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

iyaayas01 posted:

Take the loving layover, man. That perdiem would be the bomb.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

joat mon posted:

Yes. The article was from April 1953, so from a civilian standpoint, not too bad.

The Tu-95 is totally sexy. I'll trade 6 engines for 4 with counter-rotating props any day.

Haha, yeah, next time I'll remember to include the date, that will make things clearer. I have no idea if the 6 engined Tu-95 was an actual thing or somebody figured "It's to be a Russian B-36, therefore it will have six engines."

Random Tu-95 fact: the contra-rotating engines started as a German design in late WW2. Also, the Wikipedia article for the Bear is a bit...confusing. It says that the props on a Tu-95 spin supersonic, and the Thunderscreech was made to 'counter' it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So how about the Russian B-47/Vickers Valiant, the TU-16? The Chinese have just restarted production of Tu-16s in 2009.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 9, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

joat mon posted:

You'll be spotted by radar a "little bit" sooner by radar. Tu-95s are laughably detectable, even compared to a B-52.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

You'll be spotted by radar a "little bit" sooner by radar. Tu-95s are laughably detectable, even compared to a B-52.

Which will win the contest of longest serving with original operator?

The B-52 has a seven-month lead.

e: poo poo, I guess that's first flight. Make that eleven month lead.

movax fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 9, 2012

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Speaking of Tu-95s and their Russian brethren, the JASDF intercepted 5 Russian planes today, including 2 Tu-95s, 2 Su-24s and an A-50 AEW. Per Baseleg:

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2012/02/russian-50-intercepted-off-japan-for.html

quote:

Japan's Defense Ministry has said that a total of 5 Russian military aircraft were intercepted by the Japan Air Self-Defense Force (JASDF) off Japan on Wednesday, including the appearance of an Ilyushin/Beriev A-50 Airborne Early Warning aircraft for the first time.

The other aircraft intercepted were two Tupolev Tu-95 'Bear' bombers/maritime reconnaissance aircraft and two Sukhoi Su-24 'Fencer' reconnaissance aircraft. The intercepted aircraft flew over the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan off Hokkaido and the Tohoku region in northeastern Japan.

If the Japanese MoD statement identifying the Fencers as reconnaissance aircraft is accurate, they would possibly be Su-24MRs belonging to the 174 OMShAP (Otdelnyy Morskoy Shturmovoy Aviatsionnyy Polk, or Independent Naval Shturmovik Aviation Regiment ) of the V-VS TOF (Pacific Fleet Naval Aviation, AVMF) based at Pristan at the southern tip of the Far East Military District. The Russian AF reportedly operates 26 A-50 Mainstays, normally based at Ivanovo - Severnyy near Moscow but are known to deploy to Russia's Far East for exercises on occasion.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wow, they're actually employing their A-50s? :monocle:

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
gently caress, that's an ugly bird.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HeyEng posted:

I might be the only guy in the world that never thought the F-16 was cool.

Can we do helicopters? I'm gonna do helicopters.

Hueys are classic. They will never not be awesome.

In New Zealand we're still using the UH-1Hs delivered back in 66 - we've just had the first of the NH-90s delivered (in an AN-124 no less) but they won't enter service until next year. Going to miss the distinctive sound of the Iroquois but they were well due for an upgrade.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/6398548/New-air-force-helicopters-set-to-soar (Antonov in the video too)

Now we just need to think about the Hercules and Orions both of which were also purchased in the mid 60s (and must have taken a massive beating since then)

dissss fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 10, 2012

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

parrhesia posted:

I flew over and back on Asiana last time (direct flights to/from SEA too, this time I have to connect from SEA to SFO outbound and have a 3 hour layover at Narita on the way back :argh:) which was why I requested it in the first place. I agree, even back in steerage the seats were great, the entertainment was great, and the service was friendly and with a cute smile...I ate the Korean meals every time, and they were legitimately good food. Not like "pretty good for an airplane" food, more like "I would be okay with eating this in a restaurant" quality. Not four star restaurant or anything, but for airplane food that's pretty drat good praise I think. There's a reason they're only one of 7 five-star airlines and have won a shitload of "best airline in the world" awards.

front wing flexing posted:

Take the loving layover, man. That perdiem would be the bomb.

Yeah, it would, although probably not that much since they've been cutting per diem...and in any case I have a bunch of poo poo to do next week (PT test, get my PHA done since I'm like 18 months overdue so I can medically outprocess, get my CED orders, etc.) before I can leave so it would've just been a huge pain in the dick for no real reason. Apparently the four day layover thing was a mistake that they knew about that somehow slipped through (SATO make a mistake??? No way!!)

Nebakenezzer posted:

Random Tu-95 fact: the contra-rotating engines started as a German design in late WW2. Also, the Wikipedia article for the Bear is a bit...confusing. It says that the props on a Tu-95 spin supersonic, and the Thunderscreech was made to 'counter' it.

I dunno :wtf: with that wiki article, because the props on a Tu-95 definitely don't spin supersonic...which is the whole reason why the Thunderscreech was so loving loud and an abysmal failure. The trick to speed with turboprops is gigantic contra-rotating props staying subsonic, not one tiny prop going BBBBBBBXXXXXZZZZZZAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWRRRRRRR loud enough to knock people unconscious and induce seizures because it's rotating well past the speed of sound. The Tu-114 (passenger derivative of the Tu-95) is in fact the fastest propeller driven plane in the world. FWIW my reading of the wiki article is that the Thunderscreech would rival the Bear for the loudest airplane in the world title, not necessarily that the Thunderscreech was designed to "counter" it like an interceptor or something.

co199 posted:

Speaking of Tu-95s and their Russian brethren, the JASDF intercepted 5 Russian planes today, including 2 Tu-95s, 2 Su-24s and an A-50 AEW. Per Baseleg:

http://thebaseleg.blogspot.com/2012/02/russian-50-intercepted-off-japan-for.html

The real story with Japanese air defense isn't with the Russians (who have been more active as of late, just like they have near Alaska and Western Europe) but with the Chinese, who have become a LOT more active over the past couple of years. I saw a really good article on it a while back, but now I can't find it...we'll see if I can dig it up.

Godholio posted:

Wow, they're actually employing their A-50s? :monocle:

Employing all sorts of wacky poo poo these days...Blackjacks have been doing the perimeter flights up here and cruising past Western Europe.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
50 years of progress:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

Westjet is, if you can believe it, even shadier more anti-competitive than Air Canada has ever been - it's just that they get away with it because they publicly whitewash the company as being the plucky underdog westerner valiantly fighting DEM FRENCHIES AND EASTERN BUMS at Air Canada. Having been on the receiving end of some of Westjet's bullshit tactics, I have no interest in working for them or paying them as a passenger. Even beyond that, Westjet has basically reached the limit of where its current business model can take it, hence starting the regional carrier (Westprop?). As such, the company has gone from the growth phase, where people and pay would advance very quickly, to the mature phase, which brings an end to that, as well as all kinds of problems, both internally and externally.

Today, Westjet and Air Canada have largely the same cost structure for existing employees; where AC falls flat on its face is that it has billions of dollars of obligations to former employees and other legacy costs. Ironically, once (OK, if) Air Canada smooths out its labour relations and finally puts Jazz out to pasture (AC Express out of Toronto City Centre, which is operated by Skyservice, is the "camel's nose" for Jazz/Chorus Aviation, IMO), it should actually be in better financial standing than Westjet will be, as they operate a pile of relatively high-yield international routes. Starting an airline is expensive, and starting an airline that uses exclusively small aircraft, as Westjet wants to do, is even more expensive, as the cost per seat-mile of a small aircraft will always be higher than that of a larger aircraft. Even with hiring staff at near-starvation wages (which will happen), and diverting a chunk of the route network from mainline (which will also happen), their yields are still going to be pathetic.

This is probably the clearest most concise description of the Canadian airline industry that I've read. There's usually such a massive level of uninformed noise about airlines (based mainly on "I had a lovely/good flight last month", or "The National Post said..."), your post is surprisingly refreshing. You're absolutely right about the legacy costs of AC... I think any large company that has been around for sort of half a century is facing crippling pension costs as a generation on old sweetheart deals retires. As for labour relations, that really is the achilles heel of AC. They have such an ingrained adversarial culture between management and labour that at this point even the finest family councillors and divorce court couldn't bridge the gap between the "if it weren't for the fact that you're paying my mortgage, I'd happily torch the place" employees and the "you scum aren't worthy of licking the dirt off my boots for sustenance" management. I don't know what the answer there is. I know there's changes afoot, mainly generational ones, as people who started in the old system are starting to fill senior management positions and have the power to change what was so glaringly hosed up with the old system they started under. How effective they might be, and whether what comes to pass is ultimately positive remains to be seen. It's still years from fruition though. Maybe by the time WestJet files for bankruptcy, AC will have sorted itself and the colossus can stuff another airline down it's gaping maw ;)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, the article definitely says the Thunderscreech would rival it for noisiest aircraft, not that it was made as a countermove.

The source for the supersonic tip speed is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiX26JkbtLk

Journalists usually get things wrong, but it seemed pretty accurate and for all I know it might be right. But even though I can't gauge the loudness through youtube, it sounded like a regular turboprop - but obviously just taxiing, not cruising at 400 knots.

Supersonic tips have a very particular note, if you've been to an airshow you might have seen a T-6 Harvard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nImtHmv8tbA

Just as it passes you, the shockwave hits as an annoying, buzzing note. Sounds and feels like someone is farting hard at your skull, making it resonate. But since it's a relatively small engine, the prop doesn't displace a lot of air and the note is only slightly annoying, not incapacitating.

Mid-post google update: http://www.pprune.org/questions/87146-supersonic-prop-aircraft.html

quote:

The Tupolev Bear certainly had supersonic tips - intercepting Lightning pilots could hear it miles away as a result. It had to have them go supersonic because there would be no way that it could go fast, have the props go round fast enough to generate thrust and still have a vector sum which was subsonic. The snag is that in addition to the noise the prop is generating wave drag and hence operating less efficiently, just as a supersonic aircraft generates wave drag and hence needs more fuel to get from A to B.

quote:

What? Somebody sitting in a Lightning could hear it? Bl**dy H*ll!

quote:

Been there, done it, heard it! Impressive noise, too, Not, I must say, from 'miles' away, more like yards, but the unmistakable noise certainly came through into the pressurised cockpit - and through the bone-dome.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

Employing all sorts of wacky poo poo these days...Blackjacks have been doing the perimeter flights up here and cruising past Western Europe.

They started using the Blackjacks regularly a couple of years ago. They even took them to South America in 08 I believe.

I'm still really surprised to see the A-50 actually moving around and tracking foreign aircraft across a border like this. That might be a first.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
Most of Russia's A-50s are about 25 years old, but they just had a new A-50U delivered a few months ago. Any indication as to whether this was an old A-50, or the new A-50U on a shakedown flight?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

grover posted:

Most of Russia's A-50s are about 25 years old, but they just had a new A-50U delivered a few months ago. Any indication as to whether this was an old A-50, or the new A-50U on a shakedown flight?

If that picture is of the actual aircraft and not a file photo, it's an original A-50.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

grover posted:

Baseleg's article doesn't specify, and they list the photo as source unknown.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So a 787 went on a looong test flight today. They spelt out 787 and the Boeing logo!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Awesome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

monkeytennis posted:

So a 787 went on a looong test flight today. They spelt out 787 and the Boeing logo!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE236/history/20120209/2100Z/KBFI/KBFI

Duration : 19:12.

Egad. Didn't realize they could go that long without refueling.