Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

jojoinnit posted:

I remember Clue! Saw it when I was a kid with my family. Only remember it was a fun movie and my mum got upset about the line "If you'll excuse me I'm going home to make love to my wife". (We were quite religious).

Meanwhile all the shooting and stabbing and strangling are completely family-friendly by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

RudyBrah posted:

"I think I cut my wrists!"
Definitely the best episode, I could not stop laughing.

Blood Waters of Dr. Z is also on there and is AMAZING.

"SARGASM. THE WEED OF DECEIT."

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose
Rocky 1-4 are up again. They seem to go every few months, so I make it a point to watch them every time they come back.

scorpiobean
Dec 22, 2004

I'll have one sugar coma drink, please.

RudyBrah posted:

"I think I cut my wrists!"
Definitely the best episode, I could not stop laughing.

Haha I just had to watch it again and it's still amazing (and still on Netflix!)

'Got mud on your face, you big disgrace!
Shoving those sandwiches into your face.
We will, we will ROWSDOWER'

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

OK Octopus posted:

Oh, god, I love Blood Waters of Dr Z, it's consistently underrated by MST3k fans in my opinion. "I really must simplify my masturbation ritual." :haw:

In fact, I've had a crappy day today so I think I'll go watch it again.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Crossposted from the other Netflix IW thread:

"The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane" is up now. If you like Jodie Foster at all (in an early role here as a mysterious adolescent girl with a secret, she's easily the best thing in the film and amazing talent evident even early on here) and Martin Sheen as a creepy pedophile, see this movie which I think is excellent.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OK Octopus posted:

I saw this based on your post, it was a great episode.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Gonna recommend Going By the Book, a Korean movie about a bank robbery training exercise that starts going out of control. Absolutely hilarious.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shaolin Soccer is up, an earlier effort from Stephen Chow of "Kung Fu Hustle" fame. Whimsical martial arts comedy, not quite as polished as "Hustle" but very entertaining.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Zwabu posted:

Shaolin Soccer is up, an earlier effort from Stephen Chow of "Kung Fu Hustle" fame. Whimsical martial arts comedy, not quite as polished as "Hustle" but very entertaining.

That was a great movie. Is it dubbed or subbed?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
If we are talking MST3K classics, Soultaker is up on Netflix and it is goddamn amazing. Also Final Justice has amazing fat jokes through the whole thing.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sizzler Manager posted:

That was a great movie. Is it dubbed or subbed?

Ugh. It appears to be a dubbed Starz version.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I just saw it in the CD Netflix thread, but apparently Snuff Box is now available on instant watch. Definitely check it out if you've enjoyed stuff like That Mitchell and Webb Look, IT Crowd, Garth Merenghi's Darkplace, or The Mighty Boosh. It's kind of like if the BBC made a series like Tim and Eric Awesome Show except instead of Tim and Eric it was Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher.

RedneckwithGuns has a new favorite as of 03:16 on Feb 5, 2012

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
gently caress yeah, Beetlejuice is on instant now

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bargain bin Laden posted:

gently caress yeah, Beetlejuice is on instant now

Rated PG!

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a documentary up called "Rock-afire Explosion" about some weird hillbillies who are obsessed with the old Showbiz Pizza animatronic band that is a sight to see. Woooo boy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lilyhammer, a Netflix original tv show is up. Starring Steven Van Zandt playing a character very similar to Silvio in Sopranos. I just finished episode one and it wasn't too bad, a bit slow, drama with a bit of wry humor. Language is Norwegian with subtitles.

quote:

After he testifies against a Mafia boss, ex-gangster Frank Tagliano enters the witness protection program and asks to be sent to Norway. Despite the peaceful surroundings, it's not long before Frank strays from the straight and narrow.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you're in the mood for a solid horror film, check out Atrocious, a Spanish film about two siblings that go to a vacation home with their parents. The house has a sort of hedgemaze/tree maze on the property that's chained off, the kids are inquisitive and recently heard a horror story about a ghost of a woman that'll lead those lost in the maze out so they go and check it out. They also film everything, so the whole film is from the view point of their camera, "home-movie" style. There's some great tension throughout but sometimes it's so dark it's impossible to see what the hell is going on but that's not too frequent.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just saw Army of Crime. Solid WWII movie about foreign resistance fighters in France. Kind of cool to watch Army of Shadows and then this one.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

wormil posted:

Lilyhammer, a Netflix original tv show is up. Starring Steven Van Zandt playing a character very similar to Silvio in Sopranos. I just finished episode one and it wasn't too bad, a bit slow, drama with a bit of wry humor. Language is Norwegian with subtitles.

The second episode picks up the pace. I like it so far.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I would like to recommend Last Night. The premise from the beginning is that the world is 6 hours from ending. You find this out at the start, everybody in the movie knows that it's coming, though the movie doesn't tell you why.

While the movie isn't so much about that mystery as it is about the several different people it focuses on in their last hours, that tantalizing premise kept me rapt and had my insides tied up the whole time.

Goin' 3.5 out of 5 stars here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bogatyr posted:

The second episode picks up the pace. I like it so far.

Agreed, the 2nd episode is better. Watching the 3rd now and it feels slightly disjointed from previous episodes, as if an episode in between were missing. My only other gripe is that the subtitles are sometimes hard to read, white print against snow/white/light backgrounds.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Not sure how long it's been up but the classic Weird Al film 'UHF' is up. Also features a very very young Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) and Fran Drescher.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My heart cried a little bit when I found out that the 1980s The Thing isn't on instant anymore.

Why you gotta be like that netflix :(

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

jojoinnit posted:

Not sure how long it's been up but the classic Weird Al film 'UHF' is up. Also features a very very young Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) and Fran Drescher.

This is seriously such a great comedy. Everyone should see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XbCWmY0eqY

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

jojoinnit posted:

This is one of the best movies.

It also has Jambi from Pee-Wee's Playhouse as a bumbling minion.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

cornface posted:

There's a documentary up called "Rock-afire Explosion" about some weird hillbillies who are obsessed with the old Showbiz Pizza animatronic band that is a sight to see. Woooo boy.

I like watching esoteric documentaries and this was actually pretty entertaining and interesting, and although awkward, was much less awkward than the other documentary about people obsessing over stupid poo poo from the 80s, I Think We're Alone Now. Good god was that movie an ordeal. I don't think I've ever felt that uncomfortable in my entire life.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Given the current financial state of the world, two very interesting documentaries available are 'Born Rich' and 'The One Percent', both done by Jamie Johnson, heir to the Johnson & Johnson fortune. Born Rich is a great insight into the lives of the young idle rich done through monologues by Jamie and interviews with his friends which include the Trump and Bloomberg daughters and the heirs to various American family dynasties.

The One Percent is a look at the actual families and how and why they've accumulated so much wealth for themselves and whether it's right. You get footage from meetings the average person could never get into. They're both somewhat amateur but very interesting. I'm glad Netflix has them because after their initial screenings on HBO they were impossible to find for a while.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Buzkashi posted:

Meanwhile all the shooting and stabbing and strangling are completely family-friendly by comparison.

Oh yeah, violence was fine. Just no cursing or sex stuff. I remember being very young and convincing my mum to let me buy Death Rally on the basis it was all violence. Meanwhile when she saw me playing Killer Instinct on the N64 and she saw how the female characters were dressed she marched me right back to the shop to demand an exchange. I ended up with Mission Impossible which actually turned out to be a decently fun game.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I like watching esoteric documentaries and this was actually pretty entertaining and interesting, and although awkward, was much less awkward than the other documentary about people obsessing over stupid poo poo from the 80s, I Think We're Alone Now. Good god was that movie an ordeal. I don't think I've ever felt that uncomfortable in my entire life.

I agree entirely. I think Word Wars might still win the "most broken human beings" award, while Darkon and American Movie are tied for the most entertaining of the sub-genre.

If you have any other recommendations in this category, I'd like to see them. I've watched so many that I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Wow. This is a very long thread. Have you guys had the Birdemic discussion yet?

Ziltoid
Dec 31, 2010

cornface posted:

If you have any other recommendations in this category, I'd like to see them. I've watched so many that I'm starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

One I just recently watched and enjoyed was Strictly Background. It's about career extras and the idea of "background actors" in general. Some just do it for a living and a few have hopes they're going to be big stars.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax
Been watching Workaholics. It is extremely derivative, but somehow manages to still be hilarious. The first episode Adam seemed like he was trying to be "O Face" guy from Office Space, but now he seems like he is stuck doing a bad Jack Black impersonation that is never going to end.

Other than that, it is one of the funnier shows I've seen.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

settes posted:

Louis CK: Chewed Up if you want to see one of the best standup comedians ever

They have "Hilarious" and the first season of his show now too!!

RudyBrah
Sep 27, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

They have "Hilarious" and the first season of his show now too!!

The first season of "Louie" has been up on instant watch for a while.

Catch-22 is up on instant. It's my favorite book, and the movie isn't too shabby either. It's from the 70s though, so of you're picky, proceed with caution.

Can anyone recommend a good tv show that sort of has a scrubs/workaholics vibe? Or just a good funny show besides 30rock and The Office?

Hellgate32
Aug 19, 2008

RudyBrah posted:

Can anyone recommend a good tv show that sort of has a scrubs/workaholics vibe? Or just a good funny show besides 30rock and The Office?

Off the top of my head there's Spaced, Archer, Weeds, and Psych.

VVV I have seen that! Its worth a rewatch VVV

Hellgate32 has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Feb 13, 2012

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Hellgate32 posted:

Off the top of my head there's Spaced, Archer, Weeds, and Psych.

Check out Better Off Ted, a hilarious but short-lived workplace comedy about Veridian Dynamics (which is basically every evil mega-corp you've ever heard of), complete with ridiculous commercials for their products. It features Portia de Rossi in a great role as the 'boss-lady'. I really enjoyed it, though clearly not enough people did since it was cancelled after one season.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

bonds0097 posted:

Check out Better Off Ted, a hilarious but short-lived workplace comedy about Veridian Dynamics (which is basically every evil mega-corp you've ever heard of), complete with ridiculous commercials for their products. It features Portia de Rossi in a great role as the 'boss-lady'. I really enjoyed it, though clearly not enough people did since it was cancelled after one season.

I don't think I had even heard of it until a friend said, "Wait. You haven't seen Better Off Ted? Ok, you have to watch this." It's really sad that it got cancelled. It's incredibly clever. My husband's actually planning on using some of the commercials for business presentations at some point after watching it (he works at a giant company). Maybe they didn't advertise enough?

Also, as mentioned before, RudyBrah, IT Crowd.

Edit:

Ishamael posted:

Yeah, Better Off Ted is really fun. I had it confused with Eli Stone in my head, so I never watched it. But definitely worth a watch, it has a great vibe and some fantastic jokes. I think with some more time it could have become very popular.

Glad I wasn't the only one that got them confused.

Bored has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Feb 14, 2012

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

bonds0097 posted:

Yeah, Better Off Ted is really fun. I had it confused with Eli Stone in my head, so I never watched it. But definitely worth a watch, it has a great vibe and some fantastic jokes. I think with some more time it could have become very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Better Off Ted was on before Lost, and every time I caught the last few minutes of it I was like "why the hell am I not watching this show, too?"

• Locked thread