Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, I uhh, removed the Strife link since it pointed to the FBI shut down website Megaupload. It isn't available anywhere else and isn't for sale, so feel free to replace it.

Several other file servers now block us traffic. I found this out when perusing other links to old files. Thanks big brother :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I would just empty quote this. This is the exact thing that everyone that enjoys stealth games need to do, the genre is very empty. In regards to custom content, Thief 2 is the Doom of stealth games. There are hundreds of user-made levels out there and they are still being made today.

Seconded. There is still nothing quite like Thief 1 & 2 (I don't really count 3). Massive sprawling levels full of little details that you won't see if you go straight for the goal, objectives that change depending on difficulty level and a surprisingly engrossing story. Possibly my favourite game ever and I'm not really given to hyperbole.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, I uhh, removed the Strife link since it pointed to the FBI shut down website Megaupload. It isn't available anywhere else and isn't for sale, so feel free to replace it.
Oh, oops. Thanks for the heads up. I'm shoving it over to Mediafire now.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
I've honestly never played the Thief games. Are there any engine, model, or texture mods that are considered essential?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

SaucyLoggins posted:

I've honestly never played the Thief games. Are there any engine, model, or texture mods that are considered essential?

Yeah, I want my shadows textured, baby!

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

SaucyLoggins posted:

Grab this and choose what you want to install. I'd just install all of them, though I don't know if there'll be compatibility issues with the GOG version or something since I only have the disc version. Widescreen Mod especially is pretty much essential (assuming you've got a widescreen monitor) and if the Enhancement Pack is the one with loads of improved models that I think it is, that too.

Edit:
That's for T2, for T1 grab at least a mesh and skin pack from here.

Quatrefoil fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 9, 2012

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Thief games really are just plain incredible. I don't even think they really need a lot of graphical enhancement other than widescreen. Obviously the models are awful, but the excellent use of lighting and smartly designed architecture make it easy to overlook the flaws. They also have some of the best sound design ever.

No other game quite captures that feeling of exploring a building and learning all of its little nooks and crannies, all while trying not to get caught. I think that's the real reason it's so engaging: it taps into something that a lot of us used to want to do as kids, and now, virtually, we can finally carry it through to its logical conclusion. The level design is deceptively brilliant, as the architecture is both realistic and memorable, despite looking somewhat mundane on the surface. This is the main area where other attempts at "stealth gaming" have failed.

(NOTE: If you get to the first zombie mission in Thief 1 and hate it, don't worry. It's really the only part of the game that people are split on.)

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
How do I make Weasel's Nazi mod work with Brutal Doom? When I try do use it with regular Brutal Doom I get a script error involving the BFG10K before it starts, and with Brutal Doom Lite I get three errors involving DECORATE scripts during loading.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Even Brutal Doom Lite is really incompatible with most of the mods out there, so far it worked fine with Real Guns Hardcore for me. Ultimate Torment and Torture gave me an error while trying to play the second level. I don't know if load order will do for you but try to load brutal doom lite after Weasel's mod.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
"Doom The Way ID Did It" is amazing. I did a double take on the first level because I thought the mod didn't work and I was playing Doom 1.

Also, Brutal Doom is ridiculous. It feels so fresh and modern that even FPS games like Painkiller and Serious Sam feel old.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Even Brutal Doom Lite is really incompatible with most of the mods out there, so far it worked fine with Real Guns Hardcore for me. Ultimate Torment and Torture gave me an error while trying to play the second level. I don't know if load order will do for you but try to load brutal doom lite after Weasel's mod.

The DECORATE errors still happen. It's just that I've seen people talk about playing Brutal Doom with the Nazis. In this thread, even.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It would be pretty easy to make Brutal Doom work with whatever mod you want if you take the time to figure out how the slade editor works . I made a compatibility mod for Real Guns Hardcore and Nazis and it just took a couple hours.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm glad to see some Marathon love in this topic. Marathon's been my favorite game series for at least fifteen years.

Here's a couple resources for Marathon stuff that I don't believe have been posted in this thread yet:
1. Simplici7y is the modern Marathon file repository. In the old days, we used Fileball, but that went down and this is the replacement. 99% of the stuff on here is bullshit though because there's no quality assurance and there is a very limited number of capable content producers still in the game community. But it's worth browsing, I suppose. Lots of Marathon Infinity multiplayer maps, mostly. If you've never played the games online, Infinity is the most popular game; AlephOne has a cheap rendition of a modern games browser that you can use to play online. On a busy night there may be as many as ten other people playing.

2. The Aleph One homepage was redone a couple of months ago when the program finally reached 1.0. It has one-click downloads for all three Trilogy games, as well as links to what I suppose they consider the most popular and successful (or at least complete) TCs. Anyone still looking to download the game, there you go.

3. I'm saddened because the one guy in this thread still talking about Marathon is playing Blauwe Vigners of all things and not my scenario instead. Marathon: Phoenix

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I just wanted to second the Marathon love. This thread has gotten me really interested in checking out Brutal Doom but drat there's nothing quite like Marathon for atmosphere.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

gently caress Marathon, I'll just keep kicking the face of an imp wich is trying desperately to hold his own intestines, but only after showing my middle finger. You can enjoy fighting bland aliens.

(Just kidding, i like marathon but i grew with Doom).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

gently caress Marathon, I'll just keep kicking the face of an imp wich is trying desperately to hold his own intestines, but only after showing my middle finger. You can enjoy fighting bland aliens.

(Just kidding, i like marathon but i grew with Doom).

Another typical anti-intellectual who doesn't have the attention span needed to do a little reading and critical thought. No story in my games, just kill kill kill I'm done!

Real talk though, I'm pretty much the opposite: I like Doom quite a lot, I just grew up with Marathon. Actually a lot of Id/Doom/Romero level design practices were my own guidelines for making levels too. I feel like modern games, even good ones, focus too much on spectacle and have really bland level design. That's why Hard Reset disappointed me -- even though it was allegedly a callback to classic FPS gaming, it had ultra-linear "baby's first shooter" level design, and none of the depth and exploration of the good classics.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The more Marathon stuff here, the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

RyokoTK posted:

That's why Hard Reset disappointed me -- even though it was allegedly a callback to classic FPS gaming, it had ultra-linear "baby's first shooter" level design, and none of the depth and exploration of the good classics.
Yeah, this is what bugs me about modern "classic FPS revival" games, none of them attempt to capture the nonsensical maze-like design of the maps in those games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Kins posted:

Yeah, this is what bugs me about modern "classic FPS revival" games, none of them attempt to capture the nonsensical maze-like design of the maps in those games.

It just feels to me like people are trying to recreate the experience by memory. Like, "I played Doom ten years ago, that was fun, why not make a game like that?" and that's the start and end of your video game design research.

There's more than just ridiculous weapons and lots of junky repetitive enemies that made old-school shooters cool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Another typical anti-intellectual who doesn't have the attention span needed to do a little reading and critical thought. No story in my games, just kill kill kill I'm done!

Real talk though, I'm pretty much the opposite: I like Doom quite a lot, I just grew up with Marathon. Actually a lot of Id/Doom/Romero level design practices were my own guidelines for making levels too. I feel like modern games, even good ones, focus too much on spectacle and have really bland level design. That's why Hard Reset disappointed me -- even though it was allegedly a callback to classic FPS gaming, it had ultra-linear "baby's first shooter" level design, and none of the depth and exploration of the good classics.

Did you just register to missread posts?

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 12, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Kins posted:

These "modern classic" FPS games are more like score shooters where the entertainment comes entirely from enemy formations and attack patterns and are inspired by the likes of Serious Sam and Painkiller.

I would actually love for a game to be based around "impossible" designs, like penrose stairs. Would be the craziest maze-shooter.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 12, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guillermus posted:

Are you kidding me? Obviously I wasn't being serious.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Guillermus posted:

Uh I think you misread his if you're offended by it, he was just playing around.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Kins posted:

Same here. Serious Sam was cool and all, in its own way, but the level design was pretty unremarkable for the most part. It was still very much done in that Unreal-inspired style where there's continuity to everything (but not as good as Unreal). That's fine for what it is, but I really want someone to make a flat-out arcadey FPS with "levels" that exist solely to be cool in and of themselves.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I feel like modern games, even good ones, focus too much on spectacle and have really bland level design. That's why Hard Reset disappointed me -- even though it was allegedly a callback to classic FPS gaming, it had ultra-linear "baby's first shooter" level design, and none of the depth and exploration of the good classics.

loving nailed it.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

These "modern classic" FPS games are more like score shooters where the entertainment comes entirely from enemy formations and attack patterns and are inspired by the likes of Serious Sam and Painkiller.

I would actually love for a game to be based around "impossible" designs, like penrose stairs. Would be the craziest maze-shooter.

Marathon had some entertainingly impossible levels with its "5D" capability. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more stuff like that in modern games.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

Vertigus posted:

It would be pretty easy to make Brutal Doom work with whatever mod you want if you take the time to figure out how the slade editor works . I made a compatibility mod for Real Guns Hardcore and Nazis and it just took a couple hours.

What's a slade editor? If I could make Brutal Doom work with more mods, I could even host some of those compatibility mods.

On modern FPS designs, I wish more of them had those wide indoor levels like in the first Doom games. They made for some very heavy run-and-gun gameplay.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Ace Oliveira posted:

On modern FPS designs, I wish more of them had those wide indoor levels like in the first Doom games. They made for some very heavy run-and-gun gameplay.

The FEAR series was always pretty diverse in the indoor levels and even though it was linear, the level design was pretty good.

The crazy thing is that the whole desaturated look of FEAR 1 looks hauntingly photorealistic and that modern games have a hard time conveying that sense of realism. Even FEAR 2 and 3 are less convincing than FEAR 1, which is surprising.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.

RyokoTK posted:

I'm saddened because the one guy in this thread still talking about Marathon is playing Blauwe Vigners of all things and not my scenario instead. Marathon: Phoenix

I'm getting around to it! Strange foreign things always seem more interesting than English things. :ohdear:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's the best Wolfenstein 3D source port/engine for modern Windows these days? I used to use NewWolf, but it hasn't updated in 6 years and was still buggy the last time I used it back at that time.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Is there a reason why Tecman's Blood mod pack has a trojan detected in it?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

3. I'm saddened because the one guy in this thread still talking about Marathon is playing Blauwe Vigners of all things and not my scenario instead. Marathon: Phoenix

If it makes you feel better; back when I used to play Marathon multi with some friends, Paradise Lost got a lot of play.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

ToxicFrog posted:

Marathon had some entertainingly impossible levels with its "5D" capability. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more stuff like that in modern games.
5D?

What?

:stare:

Can somebody elaborate on this, please?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I always found it really interesting that in Build engine,you could have multiple separate rooms occupy the same space. It wasn't really used much,but there was for example a level in Duke3D where you had a circular pathway that you needed to do two full loops on to get to the starting point.

Not sure if that was intentional or some design weirdness with Build but it would be great if there was a game designed specifically for mind fuckery like this,going all M.C. Escher on the levels,preferably even with thing like gravity being set to the floor rather than to the bottom of the level and whatnot.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

an_mutt posted:

5D?

What?

I never understood the exact details, but if you put two hallways next to each other in a certain way the game engine would get really confused. You could enter one hallway and wind up exiting through another. Some of the maps made use of this "feature" in mind-bending ways.

EDIT: I can't find anything on youtube, but here's a map layout: http://marathon.bungie.org/spoiler/m2/41.shtml

Note that there are no ramps, that map is all on one level.

microwave casserole fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 13, 2012

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

an_mutt posted:

5D?

What?

There were multiplayer levels packed with each game of the Marathon trilogy with "5-D" in the name. These levels consisted of a series of maze-like hallways that all interlocked with each other and coexisted inside the same X, Y and Z space values. You and an opponent could be a long walk from one another but you'd show up as next to each other on your motion sensors.

:psypop:

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is there a reason why Tecman's Blood mod pack has a trojan detected in it?

Ran into the same issue... MSE removes a trojan, resulting in the Launcher being totally broken. Help?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

an_mutt posted:

5D?

What?

The Marathon engine lets you overlap rooms even if they occupy the same (x,y,z) coordinates. So you can, for example, have three doors that all (according to the map and basic spatial reasoning) open into the same room, but in practice each door leads into a different room (which occupies the same space as the other two).

I suspect this is a side effect of how it implements room-over-room, but in practice it can also be used for teleporters, spaces that are larger on the inside than the outside, subtly unnerving alien architecture, or even straight mindfucks like this deathmatch level (which is more blatant than any use of it in the singleplayer campaigns, I think).

They called it "5-D" because, well, you have two 2.5D rooms overlapping, that's a total of 5D, right? It's not just limited to two overlapping areas, though - you can overlap as many rooms as you want until the map editor crashes.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ToxicFrog posted:

The Marathon engine lets you overlap rooms even if they occupy the same (x,y,z) coordinates. So you can, for example, have three doors that all (according to the map and basic spatial reasoning) open into the same room, but in practice each door leads into a different room (which occupies the same space as the other two).

I suspect this is a side effect of how it implements room-over-room, but in practice it can also be used for teleporters, spaces that are larger on the inside than the outside, subtly unnerving alien architecture, or even straight mindfucks like this deathmatch level (which is more blatant than any use of it in the singleplayer campaigns, I think).

They called it "5-D" because, well, you have two 2.5D rooms overlapping, that's a total of 5D, right? It's not just limited to two overlapping areas, though - you can overlap as many rooms as you want until the map editor crashes.

Well, I think Doom didn't allow two sectors to occupy the same (x,y) space. Marathon's sectors (called "polygons"), however, can, as long as no two polygon corners ("vertices") had the same coordinates.

But Marathon generated spaces more or less the same way Doom did: it's just a two-dimensional space with fakey height added in graphically. This is why neither vanilla Doom nor Marathon supported "bridges and balconies" -- a given line segment of a polygon edge can only connect to one other polygon.

It's also why you can't look up/down in Doom, and why Marathon only allowed you to do so a little bit: vertical lines always had to be perfectly straight, so when you look up and down, reality gets hugely distorted. There's no z-axis vanishing points.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yep pretty much. The Build engine allowed you to have rooms tunnel under rooms and share vertices but it was a giant pain to work with that in the editor. Still let you do some neat tricks though.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I found a full version of Z.A.R. and mere minutes afterwards found my old coverdisc with the English version of the demo. I feel so happy that the hole in my DOS FPS playing ability has been filled. 3D landscape with blast deformable terrain? Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Youth with a Skull posted:

Ran into the same issue... MSE removes a trojan, resulting in the Launcher being totally broken. Help?

It's all part of his scheme to make everyone play more Deus Ex.