Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Slime posted:

Well, I didn't think I was actually going to be right one day throwing out silly theories, but I was right. We are the UU.

The comic ends when UU manages to break into the dimension where the Huss-avatar lives, and demands he pour Faygo into a bucket as UU films.

There are no survivors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

David Tennant is Scottish.
:goonsay:

Aren't Scots still British?

a debaser
May 9, 2008
I'm going to guess that UU is NOT actually a troll, and is probably a human roleplaying as a troll.

Also;

quote:

TT: But I'm not sure I'll ever feel a major need to destroy a soul, unless I become a cartoonishly villainous sorcerer some day.
UU: i woUldn't be hasty in rUling it oUt.

Odds on Bro somehow double reverse reach-around becoming Calmasis somehow in a way I cannot even imagine? I mean, he is connected with Cal...

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So yeah, Bard sounds like pretty much the worst class ever -- Bard of X basically means "fucks everything up via X". Big ups to Gamzee for managing to get the only aspect that could possibly make Bard badass, even if it meant killing everyone in the process.

Bard of Breath -- constantly breaking poo poo by involuntarily sneezing gale-force winds, or kills the Black King by trapping a plastic bag over his head
Bard of Hope -- leaves the matriorb locked in an unattended car in a parking lot on a hot day, or lets superpowered Jack Noir into the meteor space station because he really is just a misunderstood diamond in the rough :allears:
Bard of Time -- dies of old age
Bard of Doom -- :suicide:

Also, what's the over-under on whether UU's "brother" is a real actual person? Lusus? Taxidermied dead troll? Multiple personality? LORD ENGLISH?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Hehe, here's the blog of the person who drew that picture, apparently at Hussie's request? http://duedlyfirearms.tumblr.com/post/17313772317/guys-i-have-a-confession-to-make-im-uu-u-u

Also just realised, Dirk's blushing orange in that picture, presumably because UU thinks he has orange blood.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 9, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Regarding Bards, I'm not sure I quite understand the semantics behind "one who allows x to be destroyed" and how that is different from the Prince's "one who destroys x".

"invites destrUction throUgh x" I think more or less makes sense, though. Though in Gamzee's case it seemed more like it invited chaos rather than destruction (since the "destruction" he caused was more or less a direct action he took through Rage rather than something indirect).

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 9, 2012

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Roger Explosion posted:

I just love the filename of this image as well as the coloured noses thing, which I'm pretty sure pisses people off.

Oh Hussie. :allears:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of trolls misinterpreting chat handle colours as blood colours.

fake edit: colours since it's UU.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oh hey, the person who drew the god-tier Dirk and as such represents UU most directly is the one who did all the Promstuck art. How... apt!

Nate RFB posted:

Regarding Bards, I'm not sure I quite understand the semantics behind "one who allows x to be destroyed" and how that is different from the Prince's "one who destroys x".

I think it's mostly circumstantial -- whether you do it actively and on purpose, or just let it happen through inaction. Hence my example: "zaps the matriorb with a hopewand" vs "leaves it locked in a hot car and goes on a three-hour shopping spree".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Knowing what we know now about the Prince role, can you imagine the Troll session if it had a Prince of Blood?

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

JT Jag posted:

Knowing what we know now about the Prince role, can you imagine the Troll session if it had a Prince of Blood?

Artery-clogging destruction?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Bard of Space sounds like it would be a pretty hilariously dangerous class to have around.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Waffnuffly posted:

Bard of Space sounds like it would be a pretty hilariously dangerous class to have around.
"Whoops! There go all the frogs again!"
"Not again, Steve..."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Prince of Life would be pretty hardcore.

Carrigskeewaun
Mar 6, 2008

Not Brazil

creationist believer posted:

Britain (the island) = Scotland, Wales, England.
UK (the sovereign country) = Scotland, Wales, England, Northern Ireland.

What is usually referred to as a British accent = southern English accent.

Sorry to :goonsay: but it does upset some Scots, Welsh and British-identifying Nordies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffnuffly posted:

We had a close call with when it was choice between Prince of Heart or Prince of Void for Dirk. Prince of Void might mean he'd be destined to destroy the entire Furthest Ring.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Personally holding out hope that UU's brother is Geromy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So, going back to pairing up the classes again since that never gets old I guess.

Thief/Rogue: The "stealing" classes.

Prince/Bard: The "destruction" classes.

(?)Seer/Mage: The "vision" classes?

(?)Sylph/Witch: The "magic" classes?

(?)Knight/Page: The "battle" classes?

(?)Heir/Maid: The, uh, "generic" classes?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Not for much longer. :v:

But yeah, even now I doubt there's many scots who would identify as 'British' before 'Scottish', in addition to what Carrigskeewaun said about the accent. In terms of national identity, British is pretty much exclusively used by the English to make ourselves feel bigger by association with a dead empire, since we have literally nothing else to be [perversely] proud of.

The Sezza
Feb 18, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Hehe, here's the blog of the person who drew that picture, apparently at Hussie's request? http://duedlyfirearms.tumblr.com/post/17313772317/guys-i-have-a-confession-to-make-im-uu-u-u

Also just realised, Dirk's blushing orange in that picture, presumably because UU thinks he has orange blood.

Uh, is his hand backwards? It doesn't look right.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not for much longer. :v:

But yeah, even now I doubt there's many scots who would identify as 'British' before 'Scottish', in addition to what Carrigskeewaun said about the accent. In terms of national identity, British is pretty much exclusively used by the English to make ourselves feel bigger by association with a dead empire, since we have literally nothing else to be [perversely] proud of.

Uggh, dont get me started on the independence thing. I guess it's true that most of us would identify as Scottish before British. On American telly and they seem to use British and English synonymously fairly often, and sometimes it seems like we are bring left out? I dunno, our countires are pretty small anyways.

Whenever someone refers to a single "British" accent, I always chuckle a little inside, I dont have the same accent as the people from one town over, let alone in the rest of the UK.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

So, going back to pairing up the classes again since that never gets old I guess.

Thief/Rogue: The "stealing" classes.

Prince/Bard: The "destruction" classes.

(?)Seer/Mage: The "vision" classes?

(?)Sylph/Witch: The "magic" classes?

(?)Knight/Page: The "battle" classes?

(?)Heir/Maid: The, uh, "generic" classes?

I'd think it would go page/heir knight/maid, actually. Interestingly, this pairing would mean the kids and trolls pair off 1:1 for active/passive pairs for 3 of the 4 beta kid aspects.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
That update owned, I love hearing about the classes. I also recognized the symbol on UU's sleeve, but I had just assumed that the other half of the sufferer's sign were hidden from sight, ie, against the table.

Those would be some rad cufflinks though.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

But yeah, even now I doubt there's many scots who would identify as 'British' before 'Scottish',

It doesn't matter if someone identifies as British, if they're English, Scottish, Welsh or... Northern Irish (need a better term for that) then they simply are also British by definition. Nobody gets a say in the matter short of voting for Scotland to no longer be part of the United Kingdom. I wouldn't call someone by that term if they choose to identify by which country they're from instead because that's up to themn but it doesn't change what they actually are.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 9, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think a big part of the reason Americans keep using the word "British" so often is that they think of England, Wales, and Scotland as more like American states (administrative districts full of people that are mostly the same) than like individual countries with their own national identities and histories. There are some regional differences between states, but with some exceptions (Texas comes to mind, also possibly California?) you don't really identify as a resident of your state before identifying as American. We tend to kind of assume the UK is the same way.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 9, 2012

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

British is useful for multicultural purposes: I'm English by birth and family but Welsh by naturalisation, so British is definitely a useful identifier for me.

"British accent" is a laughably useless term though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Prince of Hope: "one who destroys hope, or causes destruction through hope"
Eridan destroyed hope by destroying the Matriorb, killing Fef, blasting Sollux. Destroying hope could also be related to the fact that he was murdering angels all day. Destruction THROUGH hope could be related to his white science wand, which is probably something like straight up hope magic.

You could say Eridan was actually really good at his job. He just directed it at his own friends instead of the enemy because he's an idiot.

Bard of Rage: "one who allows rage to be destroyed, or invites destruction through rage"
Gamzee allowed rage to be destroyed through his consumption of sopor slime pies. He was also able to befriend the imps by taking away their rage through similar means. He invited destruction through rage by willing the Kids' fears and other subconscious issue into existence. Actively murdering people and performing that overpowered attack on the Black King seem to be not entirely bard-like, but I guess you can read it as a form of inviting destruction through rage.

Yeah, the Bard class is pretty divided. At least with the rage aspect. You both suppress destruction and instigate destruction.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I find all the class structure/aspect power stuff so interesting that I would really like for Hussie to do a Tumblr post or something sorting out which classes are active, which are passive, which are male-only or male-preferred (and female-only or female-preferred), and what the aspects actually do/mean. It's really interesting stuff!

I don't really know how I'd sort out classes anymore considering Prince vs. Bard is about the last matchup in terms of active/passive I would have expected.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 9, 2012

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

dumb brunette posted:

I don't really know how I'd sort out classes anymore considering Prince vs. Bard is about the last matchup in terms of active/passive I would have expected.

They're thematically tied by being super poncy though.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

"invites destrUction throUgh x" I think more or less makes sense, though. Though in Gamzee's case it seemed more like it invited chaos rather than destruction (since the "destruction" he caused was more or less a direct action he took through Rage rather than something indirect).

It kinda makes sense though, weren't both Equiuus and Nepeta trying to kill Gamzee when he killed them? "Invites destruction through rage" seems to fit there, with their intent to kill him leading to their own destruction.

Probably explains how he caused so much damage to the Black King too; Gamzee is the master of counter-attacks.

I am probably totally wrong

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Gabriel Pope posted:

I'd think it would go page/heir knight/maid, actually. Interestingly, this pairing would mean the kids and trolls pair off 1:1 for active/passive pairs for 3 of the 4 beta kid aspects.
Would this make Page/Heir the "destiny/questing" classes, and Knight/Maid something like the "servant" classes? I guess that works. I would probably say that Heir more active than Page though given what we saw from John and Tavros.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 9, 2012

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Nate RFB posted:

Would this make Page/Heir the "destiny/questing" classes, and Knight/Maid something like the "servant" classes? I guess that works. I would probably say that Heir more active than Page though given what we saw from John and Tavros.

This certainly makes a lot of sense to me. Page/Heir are both thematically connected to transition. The Page becomes a Knight, the Heir inherits the throne. The Knight and the Maid both serve the ruler.

Ah, that works. Remember when Aradia was talking about the "master they both serve?" It's as I thought back then: their master is time itself.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

Bard of Rage: "one who allows rage to be destroyed, or invites destruction through rage"
Gamzee allowed rage to be destroyed through his consumption of sopor slime pies. He was also able to befriend the imps by taking away their rage through similar means. He invited destruction through rage by willing the Kids' fears and other subconscious issue into existence. Actively murdering people and performing that overpowered attack on the Black King seem to be not entirely bard-like, but I guess you can read it as a form of inviting destruction through rage.

Plus, he's Karkat's moirail.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It's kind of bugging me that even though this conversation is blatantly ragging on fantrolls and people who roleplay them on the internet (and by extension makes it much more obvious that every other character in this story is designed more to poke fun at various stereotypes than to approve them), only a very few people are likely to take the opportunity to analyse their own behaviour and maybe stop doing such incredibly embarrassing things. Or even continue doing them in a much more self-aware manner designed solely to irritate uptight squares in more 'normal' communities. I'd be moderately okay with that.

Two things:

1.) I don't think any of the parodies have been some sort of subtle conspiracy to make people stop doing X. They're parodies, often relatively fond ones. I think Hussie has as much as said the whole process ends up humanizing the thing he's parodying, making people seem less weird/more relatable.

2.) If people stopped doing embarrassing things the entirety of human civilization would grind to a loving halt. Get off your high horse and stop judging. People who write weird poo poo or pretend to be space aliens obsessed with buckets are unquestionably weird, but so loving what? They're having a good time and they're not hurting anyone. Mind your own loving business. Unless you are the whitest white bread in the history of the world, you almost assuredly have no room to judge.

It's sanctimonious to the extreme, and serves no purpose.

Edit: That was probably more aggressive than it needed to be. Pretend I said "Be Less Judgmental." in a much nicer way.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 9, 2012

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Technically, but don't ever tell them that.

Also it's gotten a little harder for me to hold onto the "UU is secret sinister saboteur" angle after that conversation.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

dumb brunette posted:

I find all the class structure/aspect power stuff so interesting that I would really like for Hussie to do a Tumblr post or something sorting out which classes are active, which are passive, which are male-only or male-preferred (and female-only or female-preferred), and what the aspects actually do/mean. It's really interesting stuff!

Me too, but he didn't reveal much about all the aspect symbols until pretty recently, and that is relatively minor. I'm sure if we still have questions once it is all over he will elaborate but I think he is just gonna reveal the roles and such when the time is right in story, or for the less important ones kind of hold off so that our interest remains piqued.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

1.) I don't think any of the parodies have been some sort of subtle conspiracy to make people stop doing X. They're parodies, often relatively fond ones. I think Hussie has as much as said the whole process ends up humanizing the thing he's parodying, making people seem less weird/more relatable.

I know for a fact that I would have had no chance to ever harbor a single positive thought about juggalos, creepy fetishists, or shipping fan(boy/girl)s if Hussie hadn't parodied them, for example.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Similarly, I found room in my heart to appreciate and be open minded about horrible giant crab monsters.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

Knight would also make sense for Karkat. In a way his blood colour has shaped his character. If he had a normal blood colour, would he really be the way he is? His attempts to hide his blood colour massively influenced the way his fellow trolls treated him. He's a slave to his blood colour.

Also I think Dirk's role as the Prince of Heart will to be sink all the ships. ALL OF THEM.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cabbit posted:

Similarly, I found room in my heart to appreciate and be open minded about horrible giant crab monsters.

I should hope so; they're people too :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Slime posted:

Knight would also make sense for Karkat. In a way his blood colour has shaped his character. If he had a normal blood colour, would he really be the way he is? His attempts to hide his blood colour massively influenced the way his fellow trolls treated him. He's a slave to his blood colour.

Also I think Dirk's role as the Prince of Heart will to be sink all the ships. ALL OF THEM.
I'm not sure I would say Dave was a "slave" to Time, however. I think the Blood aspect more refers to bonds, overcoming differences, unification/leadership, perhaps pacification. Perhaps "support" would be a more appropriate term rather than "servant".