Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Dirty boxing man. You clinch and throw uppercuts, hooks and elbows.

Nick Diaz has a different style but is a good boxer. You can watch him go in the MMA ring and see how he uses it for volume punching (except against Condit who preferred to go away instead of using his head as a speedbag.)

edit: more or less unrelated but if this won't make you go to the gym after a hard day... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSedc1w6d8s&feature=related

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Judo is brilliant and I love being ragdolled around like a loving child but MAN do they suck at newaza. I'm a lowly BJJ white belt yet managed to tap a few black belts in class. I try to have the most humble attitude ever about it as I didn't sign to go "haha we're better on the ground than you are", since I actually want to learn judo. But man.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

nemoulette posted:

Judo is brilliant and I love being ragdolled around like a loving child but MAN do they suck at newaza. I'm a lowly BJJ white belt yet managed to tap a few black belts in class. I try to have the most humble attitude ever about it as I didn't sign to go "haha we're better on the ground than you are", since I actually want to learn judo. But man.

That's especially true in certain club that really put all of their focus on stand up. There are some clubs that are pretty good at newaza, but even them never really get close to BJJ level from my experience (in part due to the explosive nature of judo newaza so it can be used in competitions). I've only met 1 or 2 judo black belts that made me feel like I was fighting a BJJ blue belt, most of the time it just feels like fighting other white belts during BJJ. (((that makes it seem like I traveled the world going from judo club to judo club haha))) That said, people in judo seem to be able to hold a scarf hold/side control better than anyone in BJJ. I manage to escape from side control 10x more often in BJJ class vs Judo class.

That's why crosstraining in both judo and BJJ makes it ridiculously awesome to fight stand up in BJJ and to fight on the ground during judo. Both arts seem to not get the other half of the fight unless they crosstrained in something else.

It's good that you don't have an attitude, but I believe it's still good to give tips and stuff to people once you get a feel for how they'll react. Or just make them think you're a wizard!

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 9, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It also is going to very greatly from person to person. A black belt in Judo who is older and/or no longer competes? I wouldn't expect them to be great at BJJ. A younger black belt who is competing regularly? I'd expect them to be able to hold their own against blue belts under BJJ matwork rules and purple or brown belts under Judo matwork rules.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Thoguh posted:

It also is going to very greatly from person to person. A black belt in Judo who is older and/or no longer competes? I wouldn't expect them to be great at BJJ. A younger black belt who is competing regularly? I'd expect them to be able to hold their own against blue belts under BJJ matwork rules and purple or brown belts under Judo matwork rules.
These were all pretty young dudes. The club seems to do reasonably well in competition, but it might just be a cultural thing probably. There was definitely some guys that gave me troubles, especially since they for whatever reason did not like me standing up from my knees in newaza (I have no idea about how rules differ). As far as newaza is concerned, what are the differences between BJJ and Judo? From what I've gathered, shoulder locks, any cranks, leg locks and cross-facing seems like a no-no?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the primary difference is that judo comps give very limited time for groundwork before you're stood up. So guys get really good at either finishing fast on offense or stalling for long enough to get stood up on defense. You just don't get a lot of time to work on the ground, so the game is less complex.

I don't know what you mean by standing up from your knees though? maybe because you're disengaging?

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

nemoulette posted:

These were all pretty young dudes. The club seems to do reasonably well in competition, but it might just be a cultural thing probably. There was definitely some guys that gave me troubles, especially since they for whatever reason did not like me standing up from my knees in newaza (I have no idea about how rules differ). As far as newaza is concerned, what are the differences between BJJ and Judo? From what I've gathered, shoulder locks, any cranks, leg locks and cross-facing seems like a no-no?

At my club you can't really stand up on your feet during ground work, unless it's to quickly pass/make a move and you basically stay on your feet for 1 sec and only if you're really bent over and controlling the other guy on the ground at the same time. This is because in competition you will be stood up if you go on your feet for any amount of time. It's probably what puzzled me the most at first in BJJ when I started because I never really had anyone stand in my guard before.

You got it right, no shoulder locks, no crank (many chokes can be boderline crank so it depends on the club), no leg log, cross facing depends on your club.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 9, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

Xguard86 posted:

the primary difference is that judo comps give very limited time for groundwork before you're stood up. So guys get really good at either finishing fast on offense or stalling for long enough to get stood up on defense. You just don't get a lot of time to work on the ground, so the game is less complex.

I don't know what you mean by standing up from your knees though? maybe because you're disengaging?
No idea, I was trying to pass his guard the regular old timey BJJ way, and as soon as I posted and stood up he gave me poo poo for it :confused:

Re: time limit, well, kesa gatame is basically the only position they seem to give any attention to on the ground (thus far) which is pretty understandable.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

nemoulette posted:

No idea, I was trying to pass his guard the regular old timey BJJ way, and as soon as I posted and stood up he gave me poo poo for it :confused:

Re: time limit, well, kesa gatame is basically the only position they seem to give any attention to on the ground (thus far) which is pretty understandable.

Where I train, this would be ok : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfNrlCF9otk&feature=related

This wouldn't : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjshvJcxuac&feature=related

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
huh didn't know that was a rule in Judo. So many rules.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I don't think it's a rule and I'm not sure how it would be handled in high level competitions. But I've been told that you'd get stood up if you did that so we don't do it when we work on the ground. It's sad because I love messing in xguard and Spider guard and can never work on it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

nemoulette posted:

If you stand up from your knees and disengage long enough for the guy to just roll over and turtle then the chances of you getting a sub before you get stood up are basically zero. That's why it is frowned upon in newaza randori.

Keep in mind that Newaza randori isn't supposed to be terribly representative of Shiai. It's more a chance to try stuff and get comfortable in matwork. In Shiai, 95% of the time when you get into matwork there is a clear Uke and Tori. And the Uke is going to be focusing 100% on turtling up and not getting pinned or subbed. In newaza randori you have both partners dynamically trying stuff out and seeing what works with the goal of learning to recognize situations and openings where you can apply a sub.

Here's a video somebody made of high level competition newaza. It's not a slow setup like you see in BJJ. It's quick moves to take advantage of a momentary weakness (ussually coming at the instant the fight transitions to the ground). BJJ submissions are developed. Judo submissions are seized.

The only joint you can lock is the elbow. You can't crank the neck, but as long as you also have an arm you can do a guillotine and other similar techniques to get a guy turned over. All chokes are legal.

Cross faces are a grey area. You can't just sit there and wail away with a cross face, but if your arm happens to slide across their face while you are going for a choke or a turnover... that's not going to get called.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 9, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

There is no rule that you can't stand up from the knees. It is just far less practical in the Judo ruleset than it is in BJJ. In Randori it is frowned upon because it teaches you to rely on something that you are very unlikely to be able to do in Shiai, not because it'll get you penalized or anything.

There are some cases where you'll stand up, like if you are trying to pick up a turtling opponent to slide in your legs, or for some guard passes. But that's about it.

That's a pretty good illustration of when it's okay to stand up in newaza.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 9, 2012

Comrade_Robot
Mar 18, 2009
It is very personally dependent. It all comes down to mat time. If you are (say) a BJJ white belt who has been training twice a week for six months, you should probably not expect to defeat somebody who has been training Judo five times a week since they were six. Even if their Judo club does a desultory half hour on the ground every other class, that time still adds up.

I would say that on the ground, Judo people excel at turtles, assaulting the turtle, pins (especially scarf-hold), stalling, and transitions. Not all of these things are good (I'm trying to break the turtle habit). But if you go up against a nationally ranked type and you're both on your knees, that's one thing. If they throw you and are going for their favorite transition? That's trouble.

And also, I'm nice to white belts and don't necessarily play as hard as I could, so I don't know I would tally up the "JUDO SUCKS, I WIN" marks yet.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

It is actually great to know how to force the other guy to stay down when you stand, since if he wants to stand and you stop him, that's putting him in a less comfortable position. So this bjj guy is pro that judo practice.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Ligur posted:

:words:

This was a fantastic post that answered all my questions, thanks. I'm boxing obsessively for a few months while my dumb toe heals, with MMA as the eventual goal.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This was a fantastic post that answered all my questions, thanks. I'm boxing obsessively for a few months while my dumb toe heals, with MMA as the eventual goal.

Just do what that one guy did and cut it off

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You know, I actually researched that. The big toe is an important part of your stride when you walk or run. Determines the way your leg lands, and if you don't have it it will screw your legs up over time with muscular imbalances and stuff. You could cut any other toe off and it wouldn't matter, though.

:3

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Hehe, I got my second spark about boxing when a groin and a toe injury prevented me from practicing either Savate or BJJ :)

Our story coincides frighteningly, I started boxing obsessively during that time. I had boxed before but not like that.

My mobility was really hampered by the groin so I was forced to fight using head movement and just frankly getting hit quite a bit. But that winter doing BJJ (at least I think that's what did it) had done something to my general discomfort and pain tolerance, punches that made me all >:[ a year before just made me want to punch the other person back, but a little harder. And preferably twice.

When healed up I got back into my old schedule but never let go of that boxing mentality, and now I'm back learning to box but this time from the ground up.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Bumped my head off of the mat pretty hard last night during randori. That's the second time in the last 6 weeks I've done a bad breakfall and hurt myself. I'm really upset with myself about it. I guess I just don't do enough ukemi practice. Maybe I'll pick up an aikido class or two for a few weeks to get more falling practice.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006
Hurt my right hand rolling really bad. My thumb is all jacked up.

Good thing I can still box with just my right and loving pwn.

Fight next week. Hope this poo poo heals.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

You know, I actually researched that. The big toe is an important part of your stride when you walk or run. Determines the way your leg lands, and if you don't have it it will screw your legs up over time with muscular imbalances and stuff. You could cut any other toe off and it wouldn't matter, though.

:3

Carbon fiber toe replacement?

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:

Well, I don't see why this is a bad idea. Toso Kune Do, man!

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008

omg car crash posted:

Well, I don't see why this is a bad idea. Toso Kune Do, man!

The baby's face on his peck is pretty :stare: worthy

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010
- 7TH DEGREE BLACK BELT
- FORMER POWER RANGER

Well poo poo, sign me up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Lol, I just noticed it was Skype lessons.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
If for some reason you're interested in these things, another former Power Ranger teaches bjj not far from me

http://www.forcebalancebjj.com/index.html

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Pretty sure all of the scenes involving actual kickpunch were performed by the Japanese actors anyway.

They're all just literally failed actors who had to resort to doing kids' drama.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I think it should be stated that there's nothing about being a failed actor, or an actor in child drama, that makes one unable to be good at martial arts.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

swmmrmanshen posted:

I think it should be stated that there's nothing about being a failed actor, or an actor in child drama, that makes one unable to be good at martial arts.

Absolutely not, but I question the benefits/cost of a Skype private lesson, no matter who's teaching it.

This noon I had a pretty good sparring session. I hung in there mentally more than I normally do, and walked out noticeably more tired than usual. I don't work enough on pushing myself pacewise in the rounds.

I did make better use of the jab though. Especially just a double jab to push people back. Even if it only caught their guard, I was keeping my momentum and body structure forward, instead of standing up too straight. From there, the other punches and strikes come much more readily. e: I had so much snap on my double jab that it was not only intimidating my partner, but also intimidating me.

I did get desperate sparring this new guy, who did some kyokushin in Russia and moved here recently, though. He's significantly taller but has short arms. He was able to take the initiative coming in with punches, so a few times, I landed a lead flying knee to his chest. This is a move I practice all the time on the bag, but it never presented itself until now. The openness of the stomach from his being taller and having a split second opening thanks to his short reach made the stars align. That got him to back off a bit, which helped. In general, he seems really open to body attacks, whether from punches or kicks or knees. I need to settle down and work the teep on him.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 11, 2012

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I need to settle down and work the teep on him.

anytime he comes in/towards you with his hands/attention up high. Straight for the liver when you can. Front leg. It works all day.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Absolutely not, but I question the benefits/cost of a Skype private lesson, no matter who's teaching it.

I somehow managed to miss that fairly important detail. :doh:

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Do I have to break the opponents lapel grip to even bother with osoto gari?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
BJJ White belt here...I'm finding when I get to mount my submission arsenal looks something like this:

1. Americana
end of list

Any ideas on what should be the next to add to my arsenal? I'm sure we'll get to something in class sooner or later but it looks like its mostly side control on the curriculum for the near future. If it helps I'm kind of short and stocky with short little arms and legs.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

Nierbo posted:

No, I assume you're still having problems with jigotai? They just feel strong because you're trying to run straight into the arm while it's still supported by the shoulder. Do the "draw a bow" motion to pull their arm out a bit, then trap the arm against your chest, and use your entire body to make their shoulder rotate out to the side. Roll the other shoulder over backwards with your lapel grip, and swing your hip for the reap.

E: If you can get them to release the lapel grip by lifting on it with your forearm you can immediately swing around to the other side and pull off sweet left side, right grip osotos too.

Ridleys Revenge fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 12, 2012

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nierbo posted:

No. We do a variant in my BJJ school that looks almost like to beginnings of an ippon seoi nage to pull the lapel grip arm across the chest to step in for an osoto.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Kekekela posted:

BJJ White belt here...I'm finding when I get to mount my submission arsenal looks something like this:

1. Americana
end of list

Any ideas on what should be the next to add to my arsenal? I'm sure we'll get to something in class sooner or later but it looks like its mostly side control on the curriculum for the near future. If it helps I'm kind of short and stocky with short little arms and legs.
Learn the cross collar choke and immediately after learn the mounted juji gatame/armbar.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ridleys Revenge posted:

No, I assume you're still having problems with jigotai? They just feel strong because you're trying to run straight into the arm while it's still supported by the shoulder. Do the "draw a bow" motion to pull their arm out a bit, then trap the arm against your chest, and use your entire body to make their shoulder rotate out to the side. Roll the other shoulder over backwards with your lapel grip, and swing your hip for the reap.

E: If you can get them to release the lapel grip by lifting on it with your forearm you can immediately swing around to the other side and pull off sweet left side, right grip osotos too.

Yes, lots of trouble. Your advice was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Yuns posted:

Learn the cross collar choke and immediately after learn the mounted juji gatame/armbar.

This. Almost all of my(and everyone else's) submissions from mount start by getting one hand deep in the collar and taking what your opponent gives you(unless your Roger and you just take the choke). The only finish from mount I get that's not set up from hand in the collar is the ezequel from when I cross face my opponent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

dokomoy posted:

This. Almost all of my(and everyone else's) submissions from mount start by getting one hand deep in the collar and taking what your opponent gives you(unless your Roger and you just take the choke). The only finish from mount I get that's not set up from hand in the collar is the ezequel from when I cross face my opponent

I should also have mentioned I'm talking no-gi here...the cross collar is gi-only right?

• Locked thread