Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grumple wumpkins
Jan 9, 2009

Do sprint stores generally have an airave, or an equivelant, onsite to boost network strength for demo phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a63548
Mar 20, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

My friend at work is running a ROM, no idea how stable it is. I can ask.

That would be great. Looking forward to seeing what ROM it is. Thank you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

shbeagle posted:

Do sprint stores generally have an airave, or an equivelant, onsite to boost network strength for demo phones?

No. My current store ironically has not amazing sprint coverage because we are right under the mall air conditioning (gain 2 bars just leaving the store). Our solution is we are switching to a bigger store down the hall in a few months (and use wifi in the meantime. If it's a store outside of the mall there is a department and a special form the store can file to have sprint techs realign towers, although in my experience they are not always responsive.

grumple wumpkins
Jan 9, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

No. My current store ironically has not amazing sprint coverage because we are right under the mall air conditioning (gain 2 bars just leaving the store). Our solution is we are switching to a bigger store down the hall in a few months (and use wifi in the meantime. If it's a store outside of the mall there is a department and a special form the store can file to have sprint techs realign towers, although in my experience they are not always responsive.

Oic, :tipshat: thanks

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

a63548 posted:

Where might you have you seen a stable ICS ROM for the Epic 4G Touch? There is indeed a great alpha of CM9, but that seems to be it as far as I know.

OK, I am wrong on this one. He is running blazer ROM, which is ICS themed but not 4.0. Sorry about that, I looked at it briefly and assumed.

I would say that people with the Epic could now bitch, but hey, you bought a samsung.

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003
So is there a reason why I'm able to upgrade in mid February in-store, but if I try to upgrade online it simply says i can save $150 on a new phone on March 1st?

I'm assuming its so I come in and have to pay an activation fee, but is that the only reason they're doing that?

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
CM9 Alpha 2 is smooth and complete enough for me to be my daily driver. easiliy.

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/

[Epic 4G]

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hydrogen_Otter posted:

So is there a reason why I'm able to upgrade in mid February in-store, but if I try to upgrade online it simply says i can save $150 on a new phone on March 1st?

I'm assuming its so I come in and have to pay an activation fee, but is that the only reason they're doing that?

No, the in store rep is telling you February 18th. What he really means is "hey, you are eligible march 1st, but sprint let's you upgrade 14 ish days early if you ask them. " If you want to upgrade February 18th online, just call sprint before ordering and ask.

And for the record, I wouldn't guarantee sprint waives upgrade fees via online. I know they were running a promo, but I'm not sure what the conditions are and when it expires. Just read the fine print.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Edit: error post

Hydrogen_Otter
May 1, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No, the in store rep is telling you February 18th. What he really means is "hey, you are eligible march 1st, but sprint let's you upgrade 14 ish days early if you ask them. " If you want to upgrade February 18th online, just call sprint before ordering and ask.

And for the record, I wouldn't guarantee sprint waives upgrade fees via online. I know they were running a promo, but I'm not sure what the conditions are and when it expires. Just read the fine print.

Ah, gotcha. It isn't a HUGE deal seeing as how my company reimburses me for my bill every month and I think I can write off the activation fee anyway. Cool, I was just wondering why they do that, makes sense.

10-ish days till new phone time :dance:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

a63548 posted:

Where might you have you seen a stable ICS ROM for the Epic 4G Touch? There is indeed a great alpha of CM9, but that seems to be it as far as I know.
The CM9 alpha is all there is right now for the ET. There should be an update for it later this week though.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

shbeagle posted:

Sprint stores generally have real genuine repeaters same with bestbuys etc. If needed. We would not change the antenna for better coverage of a store. That makes absolutely no sense.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Sprint just rolled out WiMax this week in my neck of the woods (BFE).

I didn't know they were still investing in it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mophomanners posted:

Sprint stores generally have real genuine repeaters same with bestbuys etc. If needed. We would not change the antenna for better coverage of a store. That makes absolutely no sense.

Really? That is cool, as an indirect I am just jealous on that one.

But yeah, all I know is that if there are signal issues we send an email to the Oklahoma department, which from what I surmised deals a lot with network issues. I could very well be wrong on how the issues are handled and resolved.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge

datajosh posted:

The CM9 alpha is all there is right now for the ET. There should be an update for it later this week though.

Where'd you see that? Not calling you a liar or anything, I'm just curious as to where I should be going for the latest info.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

T-Mobile just sent me some kind of text message whining about me tethering (yeah so I accidentally downloaded 75% of Bastion, CRY MORE T-MOBILE). I now cannot wait even more for the Galaxy Nexus to come out and to switch carriers.

the aftermath
Jul 20, 2002

Things Fall Apart
The data usage on my sprint bill is in Kb, correct?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

the aftermath posted:

The data usage on my sprint bill is in Kb, correct?

Last I checked, yes.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Matlock posted:

They aren't where are you at?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Matlock posted:

We're not, Clearwire is :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

kahm posted:

Where'd you see that? Not calling you a liar or anything, I'm just curious as to where I should be going for the latest info.
The thread for it is here and dev posting about an update this week is right here. Just realized his wording is "hoping to have something this week" though. I just hope there's a closer to fully functional release soon, I need WiFi, camera and SMS/MMS to be working.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Alman posted:

We're not, Clearwire is :)

What's the connection between the two? I had given up hope on ever turning on 4G.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

datajosh posted:

The thread for it is here and dev posting about an update this week is right here. Just realized his wording is "hoping to have something this week" though. I just hope there's a closer to fully functional release soon, I need WiFi, camera and SMS/MMS to be working.

Does the camera work on CM9 on any phones? I think you're going to be waiting a while.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

T-Mobile just sent me some kind of text message whining about me tethering (yeah so I accidentally downloaded 75% of Bastion, CRY MORE T-MOBILE). I now cannot wait even more for the Galaxy Nexus to come out and to switch carriers.

I wouldn't buy a CDMA Nexus device personally, with the latest debacle there. T-Mobile's service and speed is way better if you have coverage, I'd recommend staying and importing a GSM Nexus and not torrenting with your phone.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does the camera work on CM9 on any phones?
The camera (along with practically everything else) works on the OG Epic. There was (is?) a bug where it would crash when changing resolutions, but that's something I've never even thought to try on stock ROM.

It seems sbrissen is running a one-man show for CM9 on the E4GT. The OG Epic benefits hugely from its hardware similarity to the NS/NS4G and so was able to make use of a good amount of device-specific code and blobs that non-SGSI devices are having an uphill battle with until OEMs release/leak ICS updates.

Also, part of it is that we know SGSI devices aren't getting OEM ICS, so there's an attitude of "if we don't port it, it won't get done." Whereas for other devices it's a waste of time in some ways to debug a hack-job port of a GB driver when the OEM is going to release an ICS-compatible version "soon."

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I signed up for AutoBill last month, and just got an email saying my bill is ready. When will it pull the money from my bank account?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

I signed up for AutoBill last month, and just got an email saying my bill is ready. When will it pull the money from my bank account?

Whenever your bill date is I believe. Not the day its created, but the day it would be due.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

mophomanners posted:

They aren't where are you at?

http://www.clear.com/coverage?zip=44663

Weird.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

The on-air date for that site is 2/11/11.....
So you should turn your 4g on more often.

grumple wumpkins
Jan 9, 2009

mophomanners posted:

I think I would do what it takes to create a stable sales scenario; especially nursing any variable affected by flaky environmental factors, but surely I'm not tryna paint a bad picture of some telecom's image :confused:

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

HTC's Facebook posted:

HTC has been working hard to get its Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades ready, and we’re excited to announce that our first round of ICS upgrades will roll out by the end of March for the HTC Sensation, HTC Sensation 4G and HTC Sensation XE, followed soon there after by the HTC Sensation XL.

In addition, we can confirm Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades will be coming later this year to the HTC Rezound, HTC Vivid, HTC Amaze 4G, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G, HTC Incredible S, HTC Desire S and HTC Desire HD. Stay tuned for more updates on Ice Cream Sandwich releases in the coming weeks.

"Later this year..." :raise:

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
It's good to see that there's still a slight hope for 4G in the Metro Detroit area.

mophomanners
Feb 6, 2008

Sole Survivor posted:

It's good to see that there's still a slight hope for 4G in the Metro Detroit area.

How's that?

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

mophomanners posted:

How's that?

Oh I didn't see the date for when that site went up, never mind then :<.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

sonicice posted:

"Later this year..." :raise:

I think I have made up my mind. I am never again buying an android phone that is not a Nexus device.

I hate Sense, and I hate the delays it causes in waiting for upgrades.

It's a shame because I have always liked HTC's hardware.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

I think I have made up my mind. I am never again buying an android phone that is not a Nexus device.

Join the club. Nexus or nothing for me and mine.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

With all of the choices available, it's sad to only be able to recommend a new Nexus or an iPhone. Not that I think they'll Samsung the update into 2013, but there's really no excuse for that timeline.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Its more a matter of if you are going to sign a contract, getting the Nexus is the best idea. Buying and swapping phones outright like the system hotsauce seems to have is another matter, as long as you get a phone that has decent value (which the Epic Touch has), its not a terrible idea. Just save the contract for iphones and Nexus (Nexi?).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

big mean giraffe posted:

I wouldn't buy a CDMA Nexus device personally, with the latest debacle there. T-Mobile's service and speed is way better if you have coverage, I'd recommend staying and importing a GSM Nexus and not torrenting with your phone.

What debacle? :confused:

I don't see the point of a "faster" network if I'm going to get bullied and play cat and mouse for using the data plan I pay for, either. One of the big reasons I liked T-Mobile is they didn't do poo poo Like That, but now they are so gently caress 'em.

Also, I was setting up Steam on a new netbook. If you can afford but torrent Bastion you are literally worse than Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Boten Anna posted:

What debacle? :confused:

I don't see the point of a "faster" network if I'm going to get bullied and play cat and mouse for using the data plan I pay for, either. One of the big reasons I liked T-Mobile is they didn't do poo poo Like That, but now they are so gently caress 'em.

Also, I was setting up Steam on a new netbook. If you can afford but torrent Bastion you are literally worse than Hitler.

Dude, every carrier nowadays will scream at you if you tether/torrent, and Sprint is the most likely to cap/throttle/scream when their actual usable LTE network goes up.