Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rastor posted:

Things that happened while the thread was locked:

My Transformer Prime received a new OTA update. Too bad about the QA issues (especially with early production runs?) because ASUS has really been supporting this thing software-wise.

I installed 4.0 today, at around 1PM EST. I don't know if that's the OTA you're talking about, I'll check, but drat, this thing is awesome right off the bat. Did a lot of poo poo with it today, no wifi problems, no backlight bleeding, battery life is awesome for the first cycle (just watched an HD movie with WiFi on, went from 56 to 44 by the end of it)...

I might have gotten one of the good ones :woop:

e: it seems like the OTA was the lastest version. No problems so far. Apparently, they're giving a lot of love to the Prime, software-wise.

The Angry Spaniard fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ugh, had an issue with the micro SD card in my og Transformer. Actually, its the second time this happened. I plugged into my PC, copied two new music albums to a music folder on the SD card, and unplugged the device. Pull up the file browser and only about 1/3 of my albums are showing up. Reboot, pull up the file browser, and the entire SD card is empty.

I've been having an issue where the SD card will randomly unmount and mount itself. It was especially acting up yesterday.

I haven't been looking too hard, but a cursorily glance on Google doesn't really come up with any other people with the same problem. It's not a huge loss (just mp3s files lost), but annoying as gently caress.

There are still some random (empty) folders on the card, so I wonder if its not the Music app acting up for some reason.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 9, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

Ugh, had an issue with the micro SD card in my og Transformer. Actually, its the second time this happened. I plugged into my PC, copied two new music albums to a music folder on the SD card, and unplugged the device. Pull up the file browser and only about 1/3 of my albums are showing up. Reboot, pull up the file browser, and the entire SD card is empty.

I've been having an issue where the SD card will randomly unmount and mount itself. It was especially acting up yesterday.

I haven't been looking too hard, but a cursorily glance on Google doesn't really come up with any other people with the same problem. It's not a huge loss (just mp3s files lost), but annoying as gently caress.

How do you know the SD card isn't making GBS threads the bed?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

How do you know the SD card isn't making GBS threads the bed?

It might be, but it's relatively new. The first time I lost all the files was the very first time I used it. I couldn't get it connected, then once I did, the files were gone.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Uthor posted:

It might be, but it's relatively new. The first time I lost all the files was the very first time I used it. I couldn't get it connected, then once I did, the files were gone.

Is it from a reputable brand? Did you buy it fom a reputable seller?
Have you been properly dismounting/ejecting it?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Uthor posted:

That definitely sounds like a defective card to me.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Mine works fine, only complaint is honey combs browser speeds.

Prior to this I have only used apple products basically, so I've always had the expectation that consumer electronics should work more or less as advertised. Sometimes it can be on my desk and it'll spontaneously reboot, something none of my iPod touches going back to the original 16 GB one I bought in high school for $400 have ever had a problem with. Android is such a hilarious disgrace as a consumer level product. If Google offered it as some kind of masochist hobby OS for your device it might be ok, but for a shipping product to not display PDFs fluidly is sinful. My 400 Mhz first gen iPod touch is better at handling PDFS than a dual core 1 ghz android tablet with 10x the RAM as the IPT.

Edit: I do a lot of work with legislation often distributed as PDFs, which is why I'm bent out of shape with this crap. There's probably a good reason everyone in the state house has an iPad and it's not because Rep. Old Whiteman is a hipster.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Kynetx posted:

Is it from a reputable brand? Did you buy it fom a reputable seller?
Have you been properly dismounting/ejecting it?

SanDisc from NewEgg. Maybe I'll try returning it. And, yes (well, not when it unmounts itself randomly).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Prior to this I have only used apple products basically, so I've always had the expectation that consumer electronics should work more or less as advertised. Sometimes it can be on my desk and it'll spontaneously reboot, something none of my iPod touches going back to the original 16 GB one I bought in high school for $400 have ever had a problem with. Android is such a hilarious disgrace as a consumer level product. If Google offered it as some kind of masochist hobby OS for your device it might be ok, but for a shipping product to not display PDFs fluidly is sinful. My 400 Mhz first gen iPod touch is better at handling PDFS than a dual core 1 ghz android tablet with 10x the RAM as the IPT.

Edit: I do a lot of work with legislation often distributed as PDFs, which is why I'm bent out of shape with this crap. There's probably a good reason everyone in the state house has an iPad and it's not because Rep. Old Whiteman is a hipster.

Then buy apple from now on. I haven't had problems with pdfs between phones and tablets myself, so otherwise I couldn't tell you.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Then buy apple from now on. I haven't had problems with pdfs between phones and tablets myself, so otherwise I couldn't tell you.

Seriously? It's incredibly laggy just to open a document. Scrolling is choppy and forget about pinch to zoom because that will take forever.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
edit: vvvv You're right, I jumped the gun.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 9, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Maker Of Shoes posted:

We just got this thread reopened, lets not poo poo on it already, ok?

You must be new to this thread...

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet. That's the biggest letdown in my eyes, especially now that ICS has actually rectified the horrible performance issues. My Xoom runs like a top now. That said, unless something changes in the Android ecosystem (not the operating system) I can't see how anything expects to compete with the iPad. It's engendered no brand loyalty to me, and there's a good chance I'll jump ship when it's time for me to get a new tablet.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TildeATH posted:

You must be new to this thread...

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet.

Inkscape/GIMP/OpenOffice aren't exactly trivial to port...

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Ferg posted:

Neither is Quantum GIS.

What's your point?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android. I thought I'd get Inkscape and GIMP and OpenOffice on my tablet.

It sounds like what you want is a laptop.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Honeycomb has become something of a legend for its jankiness. I won't go as far as promising ICS will cure everything but for me personally it was a huge improvement.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ferg posted:

It's not there yet, not by a long shot, but here's a recent update of getting LibreOffice onto Android and what exactly what they are working on.
http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/02/libreoffice-developer-shows-prototype-android-and-html5-ports.ars

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Looks like Sketchbook Pro is for android also, wouldn't that satisfy your inkscape needs somewhat?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Coffee Quack posted:

Looks like Sketchbook Pro is for android also, wouldn't that satisfy your inkscape needs somewhat?

I have Sketchbook Pro and I'm unimpressed by it.

What I discovered running QGIS on my Xoom was that the form factor is really quite good for "traditional pre-appliance software". Sure, I can't do raster algebra without melting the back-panel off, but the same thing is true of my laptop.

I've been keeping tabs on the LibreOffice port. One day...

I'm a realist, obviously the OS community hasn't leapt on the idea of the tablet for development, but that's really the only thing that made me choose Android, beyond the ability to quickly deploy apps using AIR, and I've long since gotten over that need.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
So I did this earlier, and it blew my loving mind:

It's useless for me, in practice, but still super loving neat. I discovered it while disabling bundled software (thanks for the ability to do that, ICS).

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Peven Stan posted:

Peven Stan posted:

Seriously? It's incredibly laggy just to open a document. Scrolling is choppy and forget about pinch to zoom because that will take forever.

Now, you're threadshitting.

I just opened the same PDF using Adobe Reader on both my Nexus One and Cyanogen 7.1 Nook Color, and it was absolutely perfect both times. Pinch and zoom worked perfectly, scrolling was smooth as silk, and everything worked as well as using the PDF on my desktop. If a two-year-old smartphone and a nearly year-and-a-half-old, 800Mhz, modded tablet can run PDFs that well, your dual-core tablet should have no problems.

So, either your tablet is a dud/needs servicing, you have no idea what you're doing, or you're just trolling the Android tablet thread. I'm guessing some combo of all three.

For Content: I have an HTC View 4G that I want to update to Honeycomb but I don't want to lose the buttons on the bezel due to the update. Is there any way to re-enable them after updating, or will they just be lost forever?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Same here with a Dell Streak (and if it was going to be an issue on anything it would be this phone) and a Nook Tablet, while my netbook actually chokes on the same document. Peven Stan, something's wrong with your tablet or you're using a lovely PDF app. What app are you using, anyway? You want EZpdf.

Bruce, there's always Button Savior.

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Same here with a Dell Streak (and if it was going to be an issue on anything it would be this phone) and a Nook Tablet, while my netbook actually chokes on the same document. Peven Stan, something's wrong with your tablet or you're using a lovely PDF app. What app are you using, anyway? You want EZpdf.

Bruce, there's always Button Savior.

The problem is that I like having the buttons on the bezel because sometimes on-screen buttons get in the way, especially with games, like Gun Bros. With my Nook Color, it gets tricky turning off the buttons, because sometimes they won't want to come back on later and I have to reboot, though this may be more of a problem with just my Nook Color and it's version of Cyanogen.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, I thought you meant like the on-screen buttons the Nook has, which are not ideal and disappear in full-screen games. Button Savior's always worked for me, but it's a rooted Nook Tablet without CM. I guess you mean you have capacitive bezel buttons like my phone?

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Splizwarf posted:

Oh, I thought you meant like the on-screen buttons the Nook has, which are not ideal and disappear in full-screen games. Button Savior's always worked for me, but it's a rooted Nook Tablet without CM. I guess you mean you have capacitive bezel buttons like my phone?

Yeah, the HTC View has these cool capacitive buttons that actually move when you switch from portrait to landscape. I really don't want to lose them but I would still like to upgrade to honeycomb without rooting.

If I have to root, I'd want to do it for something cooler, like ICS.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Seriously. Every once in a while my transformer will lag or be sluggish, but fairly rare, especially now that I overclock it. Thus includes pdfs. But if you are an apple guy otherwise I would consider swapping platforms.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Xoom LTE is getting an update push starting today, but it's not ICS yet. It's a data connectivity maintenance update right now.

I have a suspicion that the Xoom LTE is going to end up going straight to 4.0.4 at the end of Feb like the Galaxy Nexus.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

Seriously. Every once in a while my transformer will lag or be sluggish, but fairly rare, especially now that I overclock it. Thus includes pdfs. But if you are an apple guy otherwise I would consider swapping platforms.

I'm going to wait for ICS and if that doesn't fix my issues with the platform then a switch is definitely going to happen. It's upsetting because there are some genuinely neat parts of Android like widgets on the home screen and open access to internal storage that are covered up by a general lack of polish and professionality.

It's almost as if they ported the horribleness of Linux on the desktop to tablets.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Why? Just sell it and get yourself an iPad. Anyone with half a brain and a modicum of maturity can acknowledge that there are advantages to both platforms. I think Apple hardware is excellent, but I prefer the open nature of Android. For me, a little more fiddling is acceptible. 20 minutes getting root access isn't a big deal.
If you hate your tablet and don't have the inclination to troubleshoot it or research the issue you're having, sell the drat thing. Life's too short to waste on electronics that you don't like.
You're already invested in the Apple ecosystem. It works for you, so stick with it. My wife has a lot of Apple hardware and a dad that is a huge Mac nerd, so I got her an iPad2 for Christmas. She got me a Transformer. We both love our presents. Her phone contract is up and I'll probably get her a 4S with some of my bonus money.
Any Android fan that can't acknowedge that iOS is a good platform is a moron. The same thing applies to Apple afficionados that form clubs to antagonize everyone else. Get what you like and don't entangle your identity with an operating system. That just makes you a tool.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Peven Stan posted:

I'm going to wait for ICS and if that doesn't fix my issues with the platform then a switch is definitely going to happen. It's upsetting because there are some genuinely neat parts of Android like widgets on the home screen and open access to internal storage that are covered up by a general lack of polish and professionality.

It's almost as if they ported the horribleness of Linux on the desktop to tablets.

That's not a great answer to people saying "What specifically are you using, and what for?" I'd be unhappy with the "platform" too if I was using the remote from one of those Android-powered HP printers to do word processing, or (more realistically) a G2x or something.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kynetx posted:

Why? Just sell it and get yourself an iPad. Anyone with half a brain and a modicum of maturity can acknowledge that there are advantages to both platforms. I think Apple hardware is excellent, but I prefer the open nature of Android. For me, a little more fiddling is acceptible. 20 minutes getting root access isn't a big deal.
If you hate your tablet and don't have the inclination to troubleshoot it or research the issue you're having, sell the drat thing. Life's too short to waste on electronics that you don't like.
I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy. (And nobody seems willing to address why it scrolls faster in landscape than in portrait, a fact that resulted in several minutes of laughter when I demonstrated that Android feature to my friends)

Nearly every application is laggy. Netflix browsing is drat near unusable due to how slow it is, and when movies do play graphical glitches show up intermittently. The browser has some neat features like experimental one touch navigation but the speed is only acceptable after an overclock. I understand the yospos crew trolls this thread routinely to rile up the regulars but this is seriously the least acceptable consumer product I've owned.

It's not like I'm a total idiot; I've been reading this thread since the beginning. There is a point in any consumer electronics device where further investment in browsing SA and other forums for the best PDF reader (I use iOS devices as a benchmark for how smooth PDFs should render) reaches a point of diminishing return. This isn't running a modern game like Shadowgun. This is rendering a goddamn document.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 9, 2012

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TildeATH posted:

What I don't get about Android tablets is that I expected the open source community to port everything to Android.

The trouble with this idea is that literally everything on Android except the kernel is different from desktop Linux, from the libc on up (and said libc leaves out features required by the standard because Android doesn't need it), because Google hate the GPL. Google have gone out of their way to keep the open source community's stuff off of Android. In some ways it's easier to port <insert open source app here> to Windows, and that's before taking into account that you generally want mobile and desktop UIs to work differently.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ciabatta posted:

They did in the UK at least, but I haven't seen anything for anywhere else. Even better, it was refund or extended warranty, so if you were ok with no GPS you could still benefit from their incompetence.

In the UK - and I expect most of Europe - they're legally obliged to do this (offer a refund).

Although you wouldn't go direct to the manufacturer, just the retailer.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy. (And nobody seems willing to address why it scrolls faster in landscape than in portrait, a fact that resulted in several minutes of laughter when I demonstrated that Android feature to my friends)

Nearly every application is laggy. Netflix browsing is drat near unusable due to how slow it is, and when movies do play graphical glitches show up intermittently. The browser has some neat features like experimental one touch navigation but the speed is only acceptable after an overclock. I understand the yospos crew trolls this thread routinely to rile up the regulars but this is seriously the least acceptable consumer product I've owned.

It's not like I'm a total idiot; I've been reading this thread since the beginning. There is a point in any consumer electronics device where further investment in browsing SA and other forums for the best PDF reader (I use iOS devices as a benchmark for how smooth PDFs should render) reaches a point of diminishing return. This isn't running a modern game like Shadowgun. This is rendering a goddamn document.

Your situation doesn't seem typical but since you seem more interested in making hyperbolic statements instead of actually answering anyone's questions you should just save yourself and us the trouble and get an iPad. You're obviously not happy with what you have, sell it and move on.

Edit: I don't mean to be rude but you don't seem to be interested in engaging anyone in this thread on a constructive level. There are people trying to help you and all you can do is talk about how lovely Android is.

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 9, 2012

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy.

It's not like I'm a total idiot; I've been reading this thread since the beginning. There is a point in any consumer electronics device where further investment in browsing SA and other forums for the best PDF reader (I use iOS devices as a benchmark for how smooth PDFs should render) reaches a point of diminishing return. This isn't running a modern game like Shadowgun. This is rendering a goddamn document. If Google is serious about taking on Apple they really need to get their heads in the loving game.

Tegra 2 tablets will probably never have the kind of performance you are looking for. It's possible your "riced out" custom ROM is making things worse, too, especially since others in this very thread aren't having the same issues.

Google has "gotten their heads in the game" when they released ICS. It's a vast improvement over all earlier versions of Android and several sites that aren't Android biased have written reviews saying it's becoming a serious competitor to iOS in terms of usability and polish. That said, chances are pretty low that the upgrade is going to change your mind when it happens.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Peven Stan posted:

I have root access and some kind of riced out custom ROM (Revolver 3.11) on my tablet, plus a hilarious 50% overlock (to 1.5 ghz). And you know what, it's still laggy.

This is what causes the rebooting issue you were complaining about earlier. Only time my OG Transformer has ever auto rebooted was when overclocking it that high with the same ROM.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003

donglelord posted:

This is what causes the rebooting issue you were complaining about earlier. Only time my OG Transformer has ever auto rebooted was when overclocking it that high with the same ROM.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen a variety of android tablets and phones that like to reboot randomly (Or maybe just for fun? Do androids dream of electric sheep.....)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kirk posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, I've seen a variety of android tablets and phones that like to reboot randomly (Or maybe just for fun? Do androids dream of electric sheep.....)

Regardless, the first thing he should try is going back to stock. Then if it keeps doing it he probably has a defective unit.

cbubbles
Mar 15, 2007

I'm soooo into you

donglelord posted:

Is there something vastly different about tablet hardware, cause if someone reported they were using a custom OS on a computer with a 50% hardware overclock and complaining about system instability of any sort - they'd be seen as crazy right?

My phone is stock (completely), and I can browse PDF's fine, the only thing I don't like is the small screen size. I guess I haven't loaded anything too crazy PDF wise, Menus, books, nothing like a 1000 page graphic art book in ultra HD or something that would probably make a computer lag. Netflix works surprisingly well and if I'm lazy I just use my phone instead of my PS3. My phone in the 8 months has rebooted on it's own maybe once or twice while I haven't been using it, I just notice it powering back on while it sits on my desk. I thought that's the type of restarting that was being discussed.

Codiusprime posted:

Regardless, the first thing he should try is going back to stock. Then if it keeps doing it he probably has a defective unit.

I would do this first and foremost. If the product sucks stock, then try tweaking it (as you have). If it still sucks, why bother with it, just return or sell the thing. You said it was a Transformer? Should be able to sell that still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
When's he going to post what the device is? And how well does it handle documents stock, when it's not running "some kind of custom ROM" that sounds like a "performance enhancer"? Overclocking and instability have always gone hand in hand in the computer world, so it wouldn't be a surprise to find out that's not helping either. Heat dissipation problems would account for... all of his symptoms, actually. Including the random reboots.